Next Year’s Bigs

Where is the size/height going to come from next year?  Any guesses on transfers we may be in the market for?  Gut feeling on Cardwell staying (he has a COVID year, right?).

12 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

Where is the size/height going to come from next year?  Any guesses on transfers we may be in the market for?  Gut feeling on Cardwell staying (he has a COVID year, right?).

I think he does have a Covid year. Would love to see him stay if possible.

I was thinking the same thing. The way Cardwell and Broome protects the rim will be hard to replace. I can see Cardwell returning. There may be a slight chance Broome returns because he's not listed on any of the draft boards. Maybe he's tired of college and wants to play overseas. I'm sure this staff will reload in the portal. The guard play is set for next season especially with the electric freshman guard coming in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I was thinking the same thing. The way Cardwell and Broome protects the rim will be hard to replace. I can see Cardwell returning. There may be a slight chance Broome returns because he's not listed on any of the draft boards. Maybe he's tired of college and wants to play overseas. I'm sure this staff will reload in the portal. The guard play is set for next season especially with the electric freshman guard coming in. 

Chad, Jones and Chaney all have another year, right?

Cardwell has no basketball reason to leave, but he could have a job lined up he loves (lol).

Denver/CMo/Jakhi

CBM/Chaney/CMo

Transfer center/Cardwell

Would be my expected front court based on who's on the roster now. I do feel like we'll lose at least one body amongst the 1-3 positions, if not two. Denver slots as a 3 for me bc as of right now, you'll have Tre, Aden, KD, Pettiford. I don't think Jakhi plays much if at all his first season; either they'll have who they have now and he'd have to overcome one of the more tenured guys for a spot or they go out and get an upgrade over CMo's position. 

As for the frontcourt (3-5), you really only will absolutely need to get another 5. With who you have now, you can make the rest of the forward/bigs work numbers wise, unless I'm wrong about one of these guys having a covid year that doesn't. 

We've been spoiled the last 5-6 years with great centers and forwards, going back to Macklemore/Wiley. Bruce and Co will get it right.

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

Broome needs an very attractive NIL.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think Broome is going to get drafted. Probably early second round. He doesn't have huge upside (by NBA standards) because of his athleticism but he has everything else. 

i hope mr broome stays another year. he improved so much this past year. another year would help i think but i wish him the best regardless

If Broome learns to go to his right hand as well as he goes to his left he may have a decent NBA future. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 8:20 PM, keeperoftheplains said:

I think Broome is going to get drafted. Probably early second round. He doesn't have huge upside (by NBA standards) because of his athleticism but he has everything else. 

I was listening to a nat'l podcast, and a couple dudes who SAY they have some scout connects say they're just now hearing Broome's name mentioned in their circles. So either we have the run we want to and his stock starts doing some real numbers or we don't and it doesn't lol

I do know if he busts LeDee (who is undersized but still a defensive ace) and Clingan's asses in back to back games, you're going to hear that man's name proclaimed through the valleys

I know CBM is a SF, but he is freaking awesome and athletic.  He reminds me of George Gervin of the San Antonio Spurs.

Bruce has been KILLING it in the portal with the bigs. Could we have had a better run at the center position from the portal?? Getting Walker Kessler, NATIONAL Defensive Player Of The Year, and following that up with Johni Broome has been ELITE portaling.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Personally, I want the best for Broome. If the talent assessments put him in the NFL, I wish him the best. But if the NFL is not yet blooming for Broome, I hope he comes back for another year instead of doing G-League or foreign league play.

I love Cardwell, but he is no Broome. He doesn't really scare anyone. Since Trovore turned ut to be a dud, CBP will have to find another big.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Personally, I want the best for Broome. If the talent assessments put him in the NFL, I wish him the best. But if the NFL is not yet blooming for Broome, I hope he comes back for another year instead of doing G-League or foreign league play.

I love Cardwell, but he is no Broome. He doesn't really scare anyone. Since Trovore turned ut to be a dud, CBP will have to find another big.

IMG_6756.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Bruce has been KILLING it in the portal with the bigs. Could we have had a better run at the center position from the portal?? Getting Walker Kessler, NATIONAL Defensive Player Of The Year, and following that up with Johni Broome has been ELITE portaling.

IMG_7407.gif

• Love 1

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Cardwell’s strengths are on defense. But he’s improved his game every year. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Cardwell’s strengths are on defense. But he’s improved his game every year. 

I love Cardwell and expect him to be a little bit better next year but unless he can find some offense other than cut to basket/dunk, rebound/dunk, beat other big down floor/dunk. His ceiling will be his great energy, defense, and rebounding which could be enough with right scorers around him. That said I want another big.

• Like 1

NIL has changed the whole dynamic.  Three years ago I would have said there is no chance that Cardwell would be back.  However, he could make as much or more on NIL as he could getting a real job :) or playing overseas.  Unless you just really hate going to class it now makes more financial sense to stay in school another year and possibly/probably get a Masters degree.

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

Pearl seems to get a lot out of his bigs, especially considering how bad Cardwell's offense was until this year.  Dylan's offense is still a bit clumsy but I never thought he would ever be able to hit free throws.  Proved me wrong about that.  I expected Florida to give us a tough time in the SEC-T (even though UF's big 7'1" center went down) because they have 3 more bigs.   So, I was curious how it is that UF ended up with 4 big men?  If UF can get 4, we should be able to get 1 or 2.    

Edited by BizEagle

On 3/7/2024 at 7:23 PM, e808 said:

Remember the final 4 team didn’t move off the 5 line and I believe didn’t have a double bye

On 3/17/2024 at 6:39 PM, Eagle-2 said:

And Kentucky gets a three in South region?

What a joke 

Yeah, that Kentucky draw seemed biased considering it is a 3 seed + Eastern time zone + driving distance to Kentucky???  I would say the selection committee ignored conference tournament results or had completed all selections prior to the conference tournaments.  However, based on final selections, the committee appears to have cherry picked particular conference tournament results and ignored others.   SEC was ignored except for maybe TxA&M

1 minute ago, BizEagle said:

Yeah, that Kentucky draw seemed biased considering it is a 3 seed + Eastern time zone + driving distance to Kentucky???  I would say the selection committee ignored conference tournament results or had completed all selections prior to the conference tournaments.  However, based on final selections, the committee appears to have cherry picked particular conference tournament results and ignored others.   SEC was ignored except for maybe TxA&M

Based on past practice the Sec tournament is only good for bubble teams. Other than that if u are already in, it doesn’t matter if u lose the first game  or win the entire tournament 

1 hour ago, BizEagle said:

Yeah, that Kentucky draw seemed biased considering it is a 3 seed + Eastern time zone + driving distance to Kentucky???  I would say the selection committee followed the money.

FIFY