U.S. Abortions increased to highest level in a Decade in first full year after RoevWade was overturned. Use and Availability of Abortion Medication Cited as Major reason.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/19/abortion-medication-mifepristone-63-percent/

https://www.guttmacher.org/2024/03/despite-bans-number-abortions-united-states-increased-2023

New findings from the Monthly Abortion Provision Study show that an estimated 1,026,690 abortions occurred in the formal health care system in 2023, the first full calendar year after the US Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization overturned Roe v. Wade. This represents a rate of 15.7 abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age,* and is a 10% increase since 2020, the last year for which comprehensive estimates are available. It is also the highest number and rate measured in the United States in over a decade.

This increase demonstrates that people continue to seek and obtain abortion care despite the drastic reduction in abortion access in many states. Since the Dobbs decision, in 2022, 14 states have banned abortion with limited exceptions. In addition, seven states—Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nebraska, North Carolina, South Carolina and Utah—have implemented laws that restrict abortion access on the basis of gestational duration. While access has decreased dramatically in states with bans, almost all other states have experienced substantial increases in the number of abortions provided. As a result, the United States continues to face a fractured abortion landscape, with access varying widely based on where people live and what resources they have.

It is important to note that these annual estimates are almost certainly an undercount, as they include only those abortions obtained within the formal US health care system: at brick-and-mortar health facilities, such as clinics or doctor’s offices, and via telehealth and virtual providers.

Looks like the Republican abortion bans might not be having the impact that the pro-life crowd had hoped for. Women from Red states with abortion bans are pouring into States with legal abortion care to have the procedure done, and a record number of women are opting for abortion via prescription medication that doesn't require a physical abortion provider in the State they live. 

Republicans are already trying to fight this by having the courts strip away FDA approval of abortion medication, and I fully expect Republican state lawmakers to attempt to start criminalizing women who try to get abortion medication through mail, or cross state lines to have one. 

I expect a complete federal ban on abortions to also be on the table for the future Republican agenda. They are going to become enraged that women are finding ways around their draconian and authoritarian limitations on women's healthcare. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

We’ve come a long way since *Safe, Legal and Rare* haven’t we?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

We’ve come a long way since *Safe, Legal and Rare* haven’t we?

It actually is "Rare" today compared to what abortion numbers were at in the early 90's when Clinton coined that phrase.  What do you think Republicans will try next since their draconian bans and scare tactics don't seem to be working as intended? 

Monthly%20Abortions%20Provision%20Study%20Policy%20Analysis%20Fig%201%20Number%20of%20Abortions%20Provided%20300483.png

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

It actually is "Rare" today compared to what abortion numbers were at in the early 90's when Clinton coined that phrase.  What do you think Republicans will try next since their draconian bans and scare tactics don't seem to be working as intended? 

Not compared to 1973.  I have no idea what the Republicans will do with this issue, but I would imagine a 16 week national ban will be brought up.

It’s just a sad deal all the way around. 

• Like 1

The MS Law that started all this allowed for 12 week Abortions.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Wingnut.org is big on Talibaptists :-\

Former Baptist.

On 3/19/2024 at 9:14 PM, autigeremt said:

It’s just a sad deal all the way around. 

I don't know anyone who is "for" abortions. The abortion decision must be a sad day for all involved. If the parents choose that route I feel sorry for them but I don't want them to be criminalized.

The Slimeocrats here love to take one stance or another and paint all Republicans with the same brush. It ain't necessarily so.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't know anyone who is "for" abortions. The abortion decision must be a sad day for all involved. If the parents choose that route I feel sorry for them but I don't want them to be criminalized.

so are you saying you are pro-choice, in that you want abortion to be available to those who need or choose it in all States? Do you disagree with State wide bans on abortion? 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The Slimeocrats here love to take one stance or another and paint all Republicans with the same brush. It ain't necessarily so.

I used Republicans in my post in reference to the lawmakers and government officials who are seeking to ban and criminalize abortion services who are basically all 100% Republicans. 

There may be a lot of individual Republican voters who don't fully agree with strict abortion bans, but to this point it hasn't stopped them from voting in Republican lawmakers who will do it anyway. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

so are you saying you are pro-choice, in that you want abortion to be available to those who need or choose it in all States? Do you disagree with State wide bans on abortion? 

I knew an OBGYN nurse who would not name names, but whose office had a college professor client who had seven abortions. The doctors finally refused to see her for #8. She was using abortion as a form of birth control. While I find that stupid and disgusting I don't think it should be illegal.

Beyond that, I don't have a dog in the abortion fight. I simply wish people would use birth control methods. I'll let those who get their panties in a wad over the abortion question work it out.

The abortion question will not affect my vote one way or the other. I'll vote for the candidates who I think will be best for America. That ain't Bungling Biden or similar libbies.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 1:48 PM, CoffeeTiger said:

They are going to become enraged that women are finding ways around their draconian and authoritarian limitations on women's healthcare. 

Maybe it's that they are going to become determined to see to it that unborn human health care is not neglected.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2024 at 10:05 AM, PUB78 said:

Death camp?  Really?  This is why reason is so hard to find.

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Death camp?  Really?  This is why reason is so hard to find.

WNG is specifically an Evangelical website so, despite it claiming at the masthead to be "grounded in facts", it's in reality just a mouthpiece for American Protestant Christianity. 

Have to take that into account when you read anything on that site. 

• Like 1

hey, @PUB78 , check this out:

https://wng.org/podcasts/washington-wednesday-a-less-pro-abortion-candidate-1712671187

A leading pro-life advocate says that she feels like the pro-life movement has been conned by Donald Trump, and that he lied about being fully pro-life just to get their votes and support. She also says that she believes the right thing for pro-lifers to do would be to refuse to vote for ANY candidate that wasn't fully pro-life and for fully supportive of federal abortion bans. She says that she'd rather see Republicans/Conservative lose elections for 25 straight years if it meant Christians would stop 'compromising' on abortion and not back down. That that would eventually lead to national abortion bans. 

Do you agree with her? Do you think it would be sinful for a Christian to vote for Donald Trump for President as Trump apparently seems to be more pro-choice than pro-life at this point? 

If not, why? Is it not sinful to support one sin just because you don't consider it as big of a sin as the other option? 

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

hey, @PUB78 , check this out:

https://wng.org/podcasts/washington-wednesday-a-less-pro-abortion-candidate-1712671187

A leading pro-life advocate says that she feels like the pro-life movement has been conned by Donald Trump, and that he lied about being fully pro-life just to get their votes and support. She also says that she believes the right thing for pro-lifers to do would be to refuse to vote for ANY candidate that wasn't fully pro-life and for fully supportive of federal abortion bans. She says that she'd rather see Republicans/Conservative lose elections for 25 straight years if it meant Christians would stop 'compromising' on abortion and not back down. That that would eventually lead to national abortion bans. 

Do you agree with her? Do you think it would be sinful for a Christian to vote for Donald Trump for President as Trump apparently seems to be more pro-choice than pro-life at this point? 

If not, why? Is it not sinful to support one sin just because you don't consider it as big of a sin as the other option? 

I am an “ anybody but Trump” Republican when it comes to the primaries. In the General Election, I will have to choose on voting for Trump , a 3rd party candidate or a write in. I can’t vote for anyone of the Demonic Party.

• Haha 1

I cannot understand how some can believe in the "sanctity of human life" and then, believe that food and healthcare are not basic human rights.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I cannot understand how some can believe in the "sanctity of human life" and then, believe that food and healthcare are not basic human rights.

Welcome back. 

You see, if a person dies because of a lack of food or healthcare then it's their own damn fault for not working hard enough to afford to purchase those things. God would never expect any self respecting Christian to give their own wealth or resources to pay for the healthcare of the weak and lazy among us.