NCAA Tournament Thread (Non-Auburn Games)

Just now, TeamZero77 said:

I just don't see Zach Edey's game transferring to the NBA where he will be a starter for anyone. He doesn't shoot 3's and he is slow. His style was needed years ago but not so much now in the current NBA. 

I agree. I certainly don't think he will be nearly impactful at the next level, and it is a major reason why he returned this year to hopefully improve enough to be a lottery hopeful. It is really going to depend on what organization he goes to. 

Purdue leaving the door open...

Just doesn’t look like UT gonna be able to pull it off at this point. Good game though, they represented themselves well. 

...and then probably just slammed it shut with that block.

• Like 1

Can't believe UT let this one slip away.  Went ice cold, and not because of Perdue's defense.

38 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I’m no TN fan but 9 to 3 fouls? Pretty glaring discrepancy. 

Tenn- 25 PFs

Purdue- 12 PFs

Thinking of great college big men of late, very few become good NBA big men.

UK's Oscar Tshiebwe was Sporting News college player of the year, went undrafted and is now back and forth between the G League and the NBA on a 2-way contract.   Same with UF's Colin Castleton.

Seems to me that Johni Broome would see the same fate.  Which is why I'm hoping he comes back to Auburn next year, if NIL treats him right.

Probably just a pipe dream...

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Thinking of great college big men of late, very few become good NBA big men.

UK's Oscar Tshiebwe was Sporting News college player of the year, went undrafted and is now back and forth between the G League and the NBA on a 2-way contract.   Same with UF's Colin Castleton.

Seems to me that Johni Broome would see the same fate.  Which is why I'm hoping he comes back to Auburn next year, if NIL treats him right.

Probably just a pipe dream...

The more I think about it, the more realistic it is he comes back if the NIL is there. Hell, look at Bacot. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 5

Something to think about re: Broome. Guess we'll see, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Current game is a rock fight, but given how good both teams have been defensively in the tournament, not really a surprise.

They have been surgical offensively in the second half...excellent passing team.

Will need to make some FTs to put this one away. 

Burns vs. Edey will be a very intriguing matchup. Load vs. Load.

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

That DJ Burns is something else .

He is definitely one of the most unique big men I've seen. Very effective.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Actually a stat was posted somewhere on here saying this years Duke team has had the easiest run ever. Their four games so far have been against #1 seed, #11 seed, #12 seed and #13 seed. And in the win over #1 seed Houston, their star PG Jamal Shead went out in the first half with a bad ankle injury and didn't return which made it alot easier on Duke. 

Bama's beaten a #1, #6, #12 and #13. Not a gauntlet at all but not as easy as Duke has faced. If Bama beats UConn (I doubt they will), they'll deserve all the praise as bad as it would suck.

Hate to say it, but don’t be surprised if bama beats UConn. They shoot so  many threes it makes up for the twos other teams get. And they have more scorers than any of the other teams left 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Hate to say it, but don’t be surprised if bama beats UConn. They shoot so  many threes it makes up for the twos other teams get. And they have more scorers than any of the other teams left 

In any 'best of' series other than single elimination UConn wins going away. Best of 3, 5, 7 whatever. But this tournament is different. You could say the same thing about a lot of match ups in every tournament. Only takes one team a bit off and the other playing over their heads. 

2 hours ago, jluvah said:

Don't even put that in the universe. This needs to be a 25 point bloodbath in favor of Uconn

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Don't even put that in the universe. This needs to be a 25 point bloodbathin favor of Uconn

Bloodbath lol

How 'bout that Wulf-Pak? Fat man Burns burned Duke for 29 points on 13 of 19 shooting from the floor. As I noted somewhere far above, I adopted NC State after AU lost. Lookin' amazing so far and they are FUN to watch!. 11 seed in the final four, lets hope they take it all the way. Burns is going to pose a different problem than other big men do. Will that be enough?

14 hours ago, jluvah said:

it depends on the defense the opposing team plays on Bama.   Bruce learned this after our loss to Bama.  You play them straight man to man & don't ever leave your man to doubleteam unless you are guarding Pringle.  Every player on their team is looking to slip outside the arc on a double teamed player for an open 3.

Making 3"s is like their Rocket Fuel.  It ignites them & amps up every other aspect of their game;   so you limit the number of wide open 3 point looks & make them work for 2 point field goals & it keeps them held down.   Clemson did not employ this strategy in the second half & it was game over for them.

We limited their 3 point shooters getting open in our game in the jungle, and Tennessee did the same their game with Bama.

It's really not that hard to figure out.

Edey stayed for another year as his NIL deal(s) were up toward $1M to stay at Purdue. 

Any chance Broome's NIL gets bumped up enticing him to return?

1 hour ago, JMWATS said:

Edey stayed for another year as his NIL deal(s) were up toward $1M to stay at Purdue. 

Most of us don't have any idea of how much money is in the NTY fund or how much is allotted to the different sports. That having been said, there's always a chance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

it depends on the defense the opposing team plays on Bama.   Bruce learned this after our loss to Bama.  You play them straight man to man & don't ever leave your man to doubleteam unless you are guarding Pringle.  Every player on their team is looking to slip outside the arc on a double teamed player for an open 3.

Making 3"s is like their Rocket Fuel.  It ignites them & amps up every other aspect of their game;   so you limit the number of wide open 3 point looks & make them work for 2 point field goals & it keeps them held down.   Clemson did not employ this strategy in the second half & it was game over for them.

We limited their 3 point shooters getting open in our game in the jungle, and Tennessee did the same their game with Bama.

It's really not that hard to figure out.

The other thing is their interior defense is incredibly bad. So to counter that, they dare teams to shoot early 3s and try to turn the game into a 3 point contest with lots of quick shots. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 10:45 AM, aubaseball said:

Question….but hasn’t AU gone after that guy?  Cooper, Holloway and now Pettiford.   Although, I just read that he may play the 2 more next year.   Throw in Isaac, Herron and Powell, and Bruce has recruited 1 and 2 guys, the problem is keeping them.   
Sears is what, a fourth or fifth year player.   If Auburn went after that player, fans would be screaming, why did we sign that guy.   He has developed his game over time and is now playing with such confidence that he is hard to stop.   Plus he’s playing in a system that allows players to play the way most want to play, shoot and get up and down the court.     Give Oats credit, the man can recruit shooters.    

Does CBP maybe have a development and schematic issue relative to the PG position?  IDK, I may be reading into it too much.

Can we all agree Oats is doing something right?  The guy replaced his entire staff who all left for HC spots in the offseason.  He only returned 27% of their minutes played (2 PLAYERS returned), he's working with basically a new roster.  There were a lot of rival fans smirking and poking fun of Oats offensive philosophy and him totally ignoring defense.  Looks like that team found a defense once they hit the tourney. 

There were a lot of rival fans laughing & poking fun at bama's early season losses, now it seems to have made them battle-tested and getting exposure & experience in live game action against the likes Purdue, Clemson, Arizona, Creighton even though they were close losses may have helped them find their way to their 1st ever F4.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Does CBP maybe have a development and schematic issue relative to the PG position?  IDK, I may be reading into it too much.

Can we all agree Oats is doing something right?  The guy replaced his entire staff who all left for HC spots in the offseason.  He only returned 27% of their minutes played (2 PLAYERS returned), he's working with basically a new roster.  There were a lot of rival fans smirking and poking fun of Oats offensive philosophy and him totally ignoring defense.  Looks like that team found a defense once they hit the tourney. 

There were a lot of rival fans laughing & poking fun at bama's early season losses, now it seems to have made them battle-tested and getting exposure & experience in live game action against the likes Purdue, Clemson, Arizona, Creighton even though they were close losses may have helped them find their way to their 1st ever F4.  

I mean yeah, I guess it works when you're hitting your 3's.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JMWATS said:

Dayum!  

I'm always shocked at what these college kids are pulling.  🤑

• Like 1