NCAA Tournament Thread (Non-Auburn Games)

7 hours ago, e808 said:

Shead is a beast. Luckily he didn’t foul out. He was cool as a cucumber running the offense 

Shead did foul out in OT. In fact, 4 of 5 UH starters fouled out before the game ended and UH still hung on to win. Terrific game  by both teams.

The athletic Grand Canyon team reminded me of the AU team in some respects, namely, chaotic, careless with the ball, and prone to turnovers and very poor shot selection. This is the the same reckless play that kept Yale in the game with us and ultimately allowed them to come back and beat us.

3 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Shead did foul out in OT. In fact, 4 of 5 UH starters fouled out before the game ended and UH still hung on to win. Terrific game  by both teams.

I stand corrected he fouled out with around 30 seconds. He had already did enough for them to win in OT

• Like 1

If we had Mark Sears on this team, we’d be playing for a National Championship two weeks from today. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

If we had Mark Sears on this team, we’d be playing for a National Championship two weeks from today. 

Ehh, Bama actually has Mark Sears on their team, and they aren't getting past the Tar Heels on Friday.  They wouldn't beat any of the remaining 4 teams left in the East regional.  Sears is solid, but I don't think this Auburn team could make it past UConn to ever get to the NC game even with Sears.  

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

Ehh, Bama actually has Mark Sears on their team, and they aren't getting past the Tar Heels on Friday.  They wouldn't beat any of the remaining 4 teams left in the East regional.  Sears is solid, but I don't think this Auburn team could make it past UConn to ever get to the NC game even with Sears.  

Bama isn't us. Where they are weak, we are strong and vice versa. 

• Thanks 1

With A&M out I'm down to rooting for North Carolina State.  Oh yeah: And whoever is playing against bammer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Bama isn't us. Where they are weak, we are strong and vice versa. 

I'm sure you're right, I'm still sour about the loss to freaking Yale.  We couldn't make free throws when it counted most, and to think Mark Sears (as great as he is) could propel this Auburn team past UConn and to the National Championship game is not something I can seriously visualize after that Yale game.  

14 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It’s a slippery slope. They played Arizona , Purdue, Creighton, Clemson, and Oregon during the season. The moment shouldn’t be to big for them. It will be interesting because they didn’t shoot it particularly well .  

8 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I'm sure you're right, I'm still sour about the loss to freaking Yale.  We couldn't make free throws when it counted most, and to think Mark Sears (as great as he is) could propel this Auburn team past UConn and to the National Championship game is not something I can seriously visualize after that Yale game.  

I don't know about all the way championship, but I wouldn't say it was impossible either. But that's because UConn look so good. I just posted about this though, go look at the stats and look how everybody played but our guards. 

Put a guard that is a 20 point game scorer50 from the field and 40 from 3.... That's a big difference. Not too mention how that threat would make it even easier for boome to operate. Same for the team when jabari was here. 

Pretty big

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

What an original post! Geez , I wish someone else in the last 2 or 4 years would've posted that!! 

My apologies to Kansas, Cole, and NW. It was like Belushi on the stairs with the acoustic guitar in Animal House. I just couldn't help it....

ACC didn't get a whole lot of respect coming into the tournament, but they've showed up big to this point. 

UConn is like a metronome. Maybe Illinois or Iowa State can give them a run in their next game, but I don't think I'd bet against UConn right now.

Bammer is hanging around with UNC. Hubert Davis has to tell his guys to slow this pace down. They're playing right into what Nate Oates wants....a very fast pace!

If Bama could rebound with NC, they'd be ahead.

Bama's defense has actually been better than I expected at least. RJ Davis was probably one of the few guards that had a solidly better placement in the hierarchy than Sears, and he's been in check. The problem is that they schemed to allow the bad shooters to get going, and they did...so far UNC is 1/10 from 3 this half though, so there's been some regression here.

The thing that separates those really good Bama teams from the others is that they have such a higher floor defensively as a team. There are so many gimmicky things scheme-wise that they have to do just to make this roster survive defensively...they definitely need a better 5 defensively (saying the obvious there), and I think playing Grant in a free safety role at the 4 would do wonders for them. They also only have one high-end perimeter defender, which isn't ideal. With the pace they play though, you gotta give up something on D to play like that. 

• Like 1

Well. This is fun. Glad Bama is succeeding in literally everything these days. Sounds like a really fun time for their fans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As I stated earlier Bama playing the tough OOC  schedule earlier in the year is gonna pay off and the moment won’t be to big for them .

Bama in the Elite 8.

Wow, what a turnaround in state basketball since two weeks ago.

• Like 1

Just now, WillMunny said:

Bama in the Elite 8.

Nates Oates is a fantastic coach. Say what you will about him, but he is an absolute threat to control the state in basketball for his duration there. Sucks..oh and they have Nike.

1 minute ago, WillMunny said:

Bama in the Elite 8.

Makes me sick. They outperform us at everything. They’ll route Clemson and go to the final 4. And then we won’t even have that on them. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Well. This is fun. Glad Bama is succeeding in literally everything these days. Sounds like a really fun time for their fans.

Not for nothing, success breeds success. When you have to put other products to compete with what that football machine was, you either don't do it or you do it all the way.  It's also just a luck thing at the end of the day. Bama had a supreme team last year that just got slapped up by SDSU. They may have a dynasty after this, or they may not see these levels again. It's just how it goes 

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not for nothing, success breeds success. When you have to put other products to compete with what that football machine was, you either don't do it or you do it all the way.  It's also just a luck thing at the end of the day. Bama had a supreme team last year that just got slapped up by SDSU. They may have a dynasty after this, or they may not see these levels again. It's just how it goes 

One thing is for damn sure. They aren’t going anywhere as long as Oats is there. And I don’t see us ever making it past the second round under Bruce again. 

• Like 1

Let’s just go back to bragging about our SEC tournament title and how much more important that is than the NCAA’s 😂

• Haha 4