NCAA Tournament Thread (Non-Auburn Games)

7 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Samford getting robbed against Kansas. Amazing block on the fast break called a foul. 

Yep, they absolutely got robbed on that.

23 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Samford getting robbed against Kansas. Amazing block on the fast break called a foul. 

That was a no-doubt-about-it clean block.  Samford player had the ball cleanly after the block, and they would have been heading the other way for a potential game-winning shot.  Ref anticipated contact, and the KU player hitting the ground like he did probably sold the call...but damn, that's a terrible time to blow a call.

Edited by SLAG-91
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

SEC is not overrated. The Tournament is about matchups. It's also one game. None of the teams you just mentioned play both good defense and offense. It's one or the other. And all it takes is a bad offensive night to lose. Auburn had no business losing to Moo State, Kentucky, or even Tenn. If you have a good defense (which kept us in those aforementioned games), you at least have a fighting chance if you can make a few stops and shots. Moo State and SCar are not great offensive teams. Moo State ran into a seasoned Tom Izzo team and South Carolina was small compared to Oregon, nor do they really fill it up offensively. Kentucky, well, requires their offense to win games. If they could actually play some defense they probably win. 

I get your point, but 1 winner out of 4 games yesterday by SEC teams is a very poor showing, especially when all the SEC losers were higher seeds. Very disappointing.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

That was a no-doubt-about-it clean block.  Samford player had the ball cleanly after the block, and they would have been heading the other way for a potential game-winning shot.  Ref anticipated contact, and the KU player hitting the ground like he did probably sold the call...but damn, that's a terrible time to blow a call.

I guarantee you the awkward fall of the player led to the foul call.  

8 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

SEC is not overrated. The Tournament is about matchups. It's also one game. None of the teams you just mentioned play both good defense and offense. It's one or the other. And all it takes is a bad offensive night to lose. Auburn had no business losing to Moo State, Kentucky, or even Tenn. If you have a good defense (which kept us in those aforementioned games), you at least have a fighting chance if you can make a few stops and shots. Moo State and SCar are not great offensive teams. Moo State ran into a seasoned Tom Izzo team and South Carolina was small compared to Oregon, nor do they really fill it up offensively. Kentucky, well, requires their offense to win games. If they could actually play some defense they probably win. 

If the SEC has a couple of teams make deep runs, people won't remember what Mississippi State and South Carolina did.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Funny

might be mentioned but Bruce ain’t goin to Kentucky. 
It’s hard to understand why players want to play for Cal, he is not a players coach.

He's not even a coach. He's a recruiter.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

He's not even a coach. He's a recruiter.

“Recruiter” being a very interesting term pre-NIL. Dominating an entire conference in recruiting until incentives were legalized.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Funny

might be mentioned but Bruce ain’t goin to Kentucky. 
It’s hard to understand why players want to play for Cal, he is not a players coach.

KY really was awful and Calipari didn't have any solutions.  They kept trying to drive to the basket and draw fouls but they were missing layups and not getting the rebounds.  You'd think with three 7 footers on the team Coach Cal would be able to work the ball into the paint, screen defenders and dominate rebounding but they were tentative, unsure, disjointed and didn't know what to do.  KY's 2 guards would stand on the perimeter and snap passes back & forth to each other while the rest of the team would shuffle about.  With 3 minutes left in the game, KY still had 3 time outs left but Calipari had run out of ideas, so he didn't use the TOs.  Calipari puts in KY's huge 7'2", Ivisic, who gets called for an illegal pick, absolutely decking the Oakland player, knocked the wind out of him. So Calipari pulls Ivisic when he should have used that brutal pick to fire up the team (Bruce Pearl would have loved that pick).  Then Reeves fouls himself out on a stupid decision.  They looked like a bunch of talented players who had never been on a court together.  Great recruiting but BAD, BAD COACHING.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BizEagle said:

KY really was awful and Calipari didn't have any solutions.  They kept trying to drive to the basket and draw fouls but they were missing layups and not getting the rebounds.  You'd think with three 7 footers on the team Coach Cal would be able to work the ball into the paint, screen defenders and dominate rebounding but they were tentative, unsure, disjointed and didn't know what to do.  KY's 2 guards would stand on the perimeter and snap passes back & forth to each other while the rest of the team would shuffle about.  With 3 minutes left in the game, KY still had 3 time outs left but Calipari had run out of ideas, so he didn't use the TOs.  Calipari puts in KY's huge 7'2", Ivisic, who gets called for an illegal pick, absolutely decking the Oakland player, knocked the wind out of him. So Calipari pulls Ivisic when he should have used that brutal pick to fire up the team (Bruce Pearl would have loved that pick).  Then Reeves fouls himself out on a stupid decision.  They looked like a bunch of talented players who had never been on a court together.  Great recruiting but BAD, BAD COACHING.

He essentially just throws uber talented kids on a court together and tells them to go win.  I think it's as simple as that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I get your point, but 1 winner out of 4 games yesterday by SEC teams is a very poor showing, especially when all the SEC losers were higher seeds. Very disappointing.

Yeah, definitely not a good look. But, is what it is... I think that is why we have a good chance in this tournament. We can do both and have a relatively older team. We'll soon find out this afternoon! War Eagle!

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I have a strong feeling he will never coach another game at Kentucky.

Might not be a good thing for us.  UK gets a real coach in there, could get ugly for us bottom feeders.  Maybe NIL will balance out Bball too.

Putting the work in for this afternoon:

• Walking 5 miles.
  • Doing 30 flights of stairs.
  • Swimming 1 mile.

I'm 61 years old.

I'll be late to the game thread. Taking wife to her doctor appointment...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I have a strong feeling he will never coach another game at Kentucky.

Hate to see him go. It's been obvious for a very long time that his process does not work - fill your team with the best recruits you can that will leave in a year or two. Rinse and repeat. It does not work, yet he does it over and over.

37 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Might not be a good thing for us.  UK gets a real coach in there, could get ugly for us bottom feeders.  Maybe NIL will balance out Bball too.

US bottom feeders? 😕 🤔

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Hate to see him go. It's been obvious for a very long time that his process does not work - fill your team with the best recruits you can that will leave in a year or two. Rinse and repeat. It does not work, yet he does it over and over.

His process worked 10-15 years ago, not so much now.

• Like 1

KY’s problem, even before the transfer portal opening, is that they have a new, unexperienced team every year. Before the portal, it was one-and-dones. A team like that will rarely perform well tournament time, no matter how talented the individuals.

Sloppy game by SDSU and UAB. SDSU is a physical team but not a offensive dynamic team. 

FAU guard just went "deer in the headlights" at end of regulation.  Northwestern tied it with 8s....and the he just slowly dribbled down the court like FAU was ahead and ran out the clock.  

#13 for Northwestern has played a good game, I think they said every minute.

6'6" guard parents went to Auburn

He's a junior...just sayin...

Edited by ClarkGriswold
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Stop eating off the bottom my friend. Come to the mountaintop with the rest of AU basketball! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Are you an Ole Miss fan?   Go frick yourself. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I'd rather play SDSU. They're extremely one dimensional and I think between Broome/Cardwell, LeDee's teammates would have to beat us.

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 2