NCAA Round 1 - AU vs Yale

1 hour ago, thewhiz7 said:

I honestly thought this year was at least sweet 16 with a real shot to get past Uconn. Man, this one hurts. I'm so depressed. I have learned my lesson with Auburn football to never get excited. It just leaves you heartbroken, which is what I am right now. Just stunned.  Hats off to Yale.

I feel ya, my bro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those 4 turnovers which should be 8 points aotge end was the difference in the game. Too many missed opportunities 

48 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Well, at least I'm handling this better than 4th-and-31.  Maybe just a little bit better.

It’s about the same

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

That’s not what the poster said. And you’ve taken my comment out of context. 
The poster said would you rather have a deep run into the tourney or win the conference. I’d rather win the conference. You get a trophy for that. You don’t get a trophy for coming in 4th. 
But my bigger point was about evaluating the team. It says more to win the conference champ than it does to win an NCAA champ. The NCAA tourney is probabilistically a crapshoot. The favorite at the start has hardly ever won it. The better team gets knocked out a surprisingly high amount of the time. 
Don’t get me wrong. I’d be thrilled with a final four appearance or a national championship. But, statistically it means less than winning your conference as far as judging how good a team is.

The SEC tournament is ALSO a single-elimination event, just like the NCAA tournament.  The same logic you're using to downplay the NCAA can be applied to the SEC.  And the notion that measuring yourself against the people you've been playing all year in the SEC is a better barometer of how good you are than measuring yourself against the best of the rest of the country is just nonsensical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

With this loss is it fair to say we may have a Calipari-esque problem with the NCAA tourney? Bruce has taken us to 5, in 4 of them we haven’t gotten past the first weekend.

We lost in 2nd round as a 2 and now 1st round as a 4.

That has to be something related to our mental state/culture/coaching that has to get fixed.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

With this loss is it fair to say we may have a Calipari-esque problem with the NCAA tourney? Bruce has taken us to 5, in 4 of them we haven’t gotten past the first weekend.

That has to be something related to our mental state/culture/coaching that has to get fixed.

The NCAA tourney is ALL about guard play, especially in the early rounds.  Today, Yale’s played better.  

• Like 2

Just now, TigerPAC said:

The NCAA tourney is ALL about guard play, especially in the early rounds.  Today, Yale’s played better.  

Agreed. We have to find or develop a guard that can hit big shots when open and when it counts. It's been a few years since we've had that. Need that Bryce Brown and/or Jared Harper type and we don't have it.

17 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

What about the other 3 times? What about when we were a 2 seed and had the best offensive player AND the best defender in the country? I think we need to win games and stop using “they just were better on this particular day - it happens” logic. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

What about the other 3 times? What about when we were a 2 seed and had the best offensive player AND the best defender in the country? I think we need to win games and stop using “they just were better on this particular day - it happens” logic. 

Bruce’s whining about having to play in Spokane and the seeding was a warning sign that this was going to be disappointing.

6 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Bruce’s whining about having to play in Spokane and the seeding was a warning sign that this was going to be disappointing.

He's got us past the round of 32 ONCE...Couldn’t even do it with 2 first round draft choices on the same team. There is a disconnect somewhere.  Roster needs overhauling. Team is undisciplined. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It's guard play. NCAA tournament is all about who has DUDES at Guard. And if you have a big to go along with that....then you're well on your way to a run. 

2 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

It's guard play. NCAA tournament is all about who has DUDES at Guard. And if you have a big to go along with that....then you're well on your way to a run. 

Do they use a different kind of basketball in the tourney? If not, then this makes no sense. We just went 27-7 in supposedly one of the best conferences in the country, without good guard play. So I don’t buy the oversimplification. 

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

They might when he's been playing dirty all year and probably gained a reputation for it among the refs. 

Refs throwing him out was entirely CBM's fault.

That's why I said still stupid. We agree. It was also stupid of the refs. This ain't church league.

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Guard play is still an issue . They are the quarterbacks of the team. Without them being at least mediocre u won’t go fair. Today could have been make your layups and value the ball. That would have won u the game

• Thanks 1

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

That's why I said still stupid. We agree. It was also stupid of the refs. This ain't church league.

CBM reputation caught up with him tonight.  I'm sure refs were put on notice

• Like 1

We got 5 points combined out of our PG’s. Oh and they were all from the same guy. 😂 Zero from our 5*. Way to go fellas. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Do they use a different kind of basketball in the tourney? If not, then this makes no sense. We just went 27-7 in supposedly one of the best conferences in the country, without good guard play. So I don’t buy the oversimplification. 

No games were won because of them . It was in spite of them. The blow out wins were because they took care of the  ball and hit a few shoots

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

CBM isn’t a NBA prospect and loves Auburn. I’d be shocked if he didn’t take advantage of being the presumed #1 option next year. You definitely need a true facilitator though. Even if it results in Aden, Tre or KD leaving. 

If CBM is option 1. We in trouble. He's a powder keg

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He's got us past the round of 32 ONCE...Couldn’t even do it with 2 first round draft choices on the same team. There is a disconnect somewhere.  Roster needs overhauling. Team is undisciplined. 

How many times has AU basketball been to the round of 32? The sweet 16? The final 4? How many coaches have we had that we knew would be a threat in the league and get us in the dance? 

It sucks to lose. It sucks worse to be irrelevant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

If CBM is option 1. We in trouble. He's a powder keg

He has definitely got to do some self reflection and self control.   

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He's got us past the round of 32 ONCE...Couldn’t even do it with 2 first round draft choices on the same team. There is a disconnect somewhere 

He played the disrespect card too much and proved those against us right.

Everyone was complaining that SEC teams were underrated. Well, I think that idea died very spectacularly the past couple of days. Of the 8 SEC teams in the tourney, only Tennessee and Bama survived the first game.

As for the Auburn game --

1. The ejection of Baker-Mazara really crippled Auburn. He has been a potent contributor offensively and defensively --  but he has definitely been very aggressive and volatile all season. It caught up with him this time..
2. Freshman Aden Holloway at point guard is a total disaster. He just dribbles around, launches 3s that invariably miss, and turns the ball over a lot. I know CBP wants to keep him, thus giving him playing time, but in reality, he should have been our 3rd string PG all season. And today illustrates why.
3. Auburn ended up playing at Yale's slow methodical tempo, which handed Yale control of the game.

CBP mission to run deep in the NCAA died against a mediocre (at best) team. It's another year of frustration that everyone had higher expectations for. Yep, again!  🤥

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Lol....that's funny. You don't know what you're talking about. 

• Like 2

I don’t know basketball, but I do agree with the guard play & one thing, we don’t have a guy to lean on to make shots like Yale did with that one dude. Who went for 30 against us. 

better guard play & shooters 

which I feel like we say every year