2024 Portal

Yeah I think Bruce is fine as far as disciplinarian goes. I think he just recruited a couple guys who had the edge you want to get under others' skins, and it's hard to know to what extent that becomes a double edged sword until you have the guy on your team. But that's something you gotta deal with. Draymond is one of the 10-20 greatest defenders that's ever lived, he's a star at the skill of getting under the skins of opposing teams. But he's cost GSW some massive games and potentially even championships with his mindset. 

Anyone just saying Bruce is BAD at disciplining is empirically incorrect. And anyone saying Chad isn't worth the give and take, he's their second best player this year, was a stud of a starter last year, and was the vocal leader in the locker room. His mentality has been an overall positive like Draymond's; you just hate when the pendulum swings the other way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will say that based on the guys with this type of personality that I've watched, plus knowledgeable people discussing the game, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get that type of intensity to only be a positive. You are GOING to have to live with the lows and the highs, or go and recruit a guy that's just a more neutral personality. And there ain't too many teams with lesser talent that've competed without winning the personality battle. 

By the end, KD may not've been worth the trouble when you consider his reduced role and how precise/consistent a player you need to maximize a bench role. But then again, I can appreciate that the quick bursts of scoring he's given us has saved our collective butts even in that bench role 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Correct to some extent, but it's a sad situation.

Bill Walton to Coach John Wooden: "You can't tell me how long to wear my hair."

Wooden to Walton: "No I can't William, but I can decide who is going to play on this basketball team. Practice starts in one hour. Get a haircut before then or don't come to practice."

Walton rode his bicycle to the nearest barber shop and came back in time, with a brand new haircut. From my memory of a passage in Wooden's book, They Call Me Coach.

“William” didn’t have anywhere else to go. Today? “William” would have transferred…And got paid!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

“William” didn’t have anywhere else to go. Today? “William” would have transferred…And got paid!

Most likely. And that's a large part of the sad state of affairs college sports finds itself in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I will say that based on the guys with this type of personality that I've watched, plus knowledgeable people discussing the game, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get that type of intensity to only be a positive. You are GOING to have to live with the lows and the highs, or go and recruit a guy that's just a more neutral personality. And there ain't too many teams with lesser talent that've competed without winning the personality battle. 

By the end, KD may not've been worth the trouble when you consider his reduced role and how precise/consistent a player you need to maximize a bench role. But then again, I can appreciate that the quick bursts of scoring he's given us has saved our collective butts even in that bench role 

Even so, there has to be a line below which it's not acceptable to go.

• Like 1

If CBP had the resources that Blue Bloods have, he wouldn't have to look for diamonds in the rough. Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, and UConn have plenty of talent without taking a chance. Of course now and then a kid might slip in at one of these schools and be a problem. But those coaches can afford to sit his butt at the end of the bench.  WDE CBP!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Even so, there has to be a line below which it's not acceptable to go.

Yeah, good luck setting some arbitrary line that the player tries to focus on every second of a high tempo basketball game. That’ll go REALLY well 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah, good luck setting some arbitrary line that the player tries to focus on every second of a high tempo basketball game. That’ll go REALLY well 

One of the main things a coach is paid for is using good judgment.       There's no arbitrary line. It's the coach using his judgement.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

One of the main things a coach is paid for is using good judgment.       There's no arbitrary line. It's the coach using his judgement.

Okay…and his good judgment says that incident is relatively insignificant to his overall value he provided to the team. The arbitrary line was in reference to you trying to establish some line that a player shouldn’t go. There’s no way for a coach to enforce that in the midst of a game and obviously Chad didn’t do anything that would necessitate something like kicking him off the team, even after the fact. 

Posted (edited)

I don’t even understand what benching Chad after earlier instances would do to affect what happened in the game. His personality is his personality - again, you recruit the guy knowing that if you’ve done any level of deep diving as the coach. You either play the guy knowing that or you don’t play him at all. 

Draymond got suspended for about 2 months and he still got into verbal and physical spats with players afterwards. You’re neutering the player if you try to make them play without that ferocity; it’s just basketball 101.  

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t even understand what benching Chad after earlier instances would do to affect what happened in the game.

Did you ever play any ball? Coach a team in any sport? I got benched once for showing my butt. Believe me, it didn't happen again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Did you ever play any ball? Coach a team in any sport? I got benched once for showing my butt. Believe me, it didn't happen again.

Yes noted D1 athlete Mikey!!! Totally the same thing….. LEVELS.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes noted D1 athlete Mikey!!! Totally the same thing….. LEVELS.  

Did you ever play or coach any sport? If you had, you'd know about benching. As for levels, playing ball is playing ball. Get benched for acting out while playing for the Braves or your local little league team, the result is the same. The offender doesn't pull the same crap again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Did you ever play or coach any sport? If you had, you'd know about benching. As for levels, playing ball is playing ball. Get benched for acting out while playing for the Braves or your local little league team, the result is the same. The offender doesn't pull the same crap again.

Yes like most here I played through high school in basketball, cross country and track and field. No I have not coached any.

Except there is countless examples through the years across many sports that it does happen again and again. This isn’t the local coach pitch baseball team. This is major college sports at the highest level. What makes CBM so great is that fire, intensity and competitive edge he plays with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Except there is countless examples through the years across many sports that it does happen again and again. This isn’t the local coach pitch baseball team. This is major college sports at the highest level. What makes CBM so great is that fire, intensity and competitive edge he plays with.

I would like to say that, although he plays with intensity, his behavior (at times) hurts the team.   His fire, intensity and competitiveness is only a slight percentage of why he plays.   If he couldn’t shoot, rebound or play defense, he wouldn’t sniff the floor.   Just sayin.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What makes CBM so great is that fire, intensity and competitive edge he plays with.

And what makes him much less valuable than he should be is his failure to know when enough is enough.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What makes CBM so great is that fire, intensity and competitive edge he plays with.

And every team we play next year is going to be baiting that guy to do just what Yale got him to do and the refs - just like with Yale - will be waiting for it. And it will cost us. 

There's a reason the teams annually showing up deep in the tourney stay there. They play disciplined ball. CBM is a talented player, but the word's out on him now. If he can't reign it in next season, he'll be on the bench one way or the other and if he can't play his best while reigning it in, this is as far as his basketball journey is going to go. 

• Like 3

So it looks like Pearl and Auburn are going to go with the team we have. No movement or rumors for the past week now since we stroked out on our targets in the past few weeks. Don’t know how I feel about that.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

So it looks like Pearl and Auburn are going to go with the team we have. No movement or rumors for the past week now since we stroked out on our targets in the past few weeks. Don’t know how I feel about that.

What happened to Dior Johnson? Did the staff decide to go in a different direction? No final word on Anchor?

57 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

What happened to Dior Johnson? Did the staff decide to go in a different direction? No final word on Anchor?

Well I honestly am about to answer my own question, I just saw online that Auburn is doing background checks on Dior because the staff want him. Archie Achor wants to be at Auburn but Auburn might not have his major or similar classes he needs to transfer, so he is probably going to go back to Sanford. Apparently he really wants to be at Auburn but the likelihood is low, because you know, Auburn. Life of being an Auburn sports fan in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Well I honestly am about to answer my own question, I just saw online that Auburn is doing background checks on Dior because the staff want him. Archie Achor wants to be at Auburn but Auburn might not have his major or similar classes he needs to transfer, so he is probably going to go back to Sanford. Apparently he really wants to be at Auburn but the likelihood is low, because you know, Auburn. Life of being an Auburn sports fan in general.

JABA

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

JABA

It sucks for Achor Achor because he wants to come to Auburn and now I think he can’t get into any major program. However, I understand your sentiment completely. It seems like in the past few years we have had quality guys coming to the program but then aren’t academically eligible. And then things are compounded when you see your rivals, specifically UAT, have no issues recruiting anyone they basically want. Like I said, it’s the frustrating part of being a basketball fan for Auburn. So many quality players year in and year out and we constantly have to go find diamonds in the rough while our rivals just pick and choose the best players.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

It sucks for Achor Achor because he wants to come to Auburn and now I think he can’t get into any major program. However, I understand your sentiment completely. It seems like in the past few years we have had quality guys coming to the program but then aren’t academically eligible. And then things are compounded when you see your rivals, specifically UAT, have no issues recruiting anyone they basically want. Like I said, it’s the frustrating part of being a basketball fan for Auburn. So many quality players year in and year out and we constantly have to go find diamonds in the rough while our rivals just pick and choose the best players.

From what I understand. The issue is we don't have the major that the players were working on at different schools. If it is the same 

Major have we lookwd into adding that major?