Delay

TexasTiger

Some clients lie so much their own attorneys can't even cover for them.

AUSTIN - The day after U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay's grand jury indictment, his lawyer and the jury foreman on Thursday appeared to contradict the Texas politician's assertions that he was not given a chance to speak before the jury.

The foreman, William M. Gibson Jr., a retired state insurance investigator, said the Travis County grand jury waited until Wednesday, the final day of its term, to indict him because it was hoping he would accept jurors' invitation to testify.

DeLay said in interviews that the grand jury never asked him to testify.

In a Wednesday night appearance on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews, he said Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle never talked to him or asked him to testify.

"Never asking me to testify, never doing anything for two years," DeLay said in the interview. "And then, on the last day of his fourth or sixth grand jury, he indicts me. Why? Because his goal was to make me step down as majority leader."

On Thursday, DeLay said in another broadcast interview that he was under the impression that he wasn't going to be indicted because he hadn't been called to testify before the grand jury.

"I have not testified before the grand jury to present my side of the case, and they indicted me," said DeLay, according to the Associated Press.

Dick DeGuerin, the attorney representing DeLay, said Thursday that DeLay actually was invited to appear before the grand jury, where he would have been under oath. The Houston attorney was not yet on the legal team when DeLay was asked to appear, but he said other attorneys advised him not to testify — a decision DeGuerin supports.

DeGuerin said that DeLay may have been referring in the interviews to the fact that the grand jury did not subpoena him to testify.

Gibson said there was an open invitation, but the grand jury decided not to force him to appear.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3376104

I don't like Delay (think I've said this a time or 2). He is more than likely a crooked politian. Yet and indictment is not a gulty sentence.

Former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman went throuhg the same thing and was found not guilty.

Maybe Delay will be found guilty, I don't know. We will soon see. If the democrats are smart, they let the courts play this out. Don't pile on. The democrats have scored political points without doing anything.

Nice to see you are alright TT.

Like the AU85 said, innocent until proven guilty. Heck, Siegleman is even going to run for governor again. If Delay is guilty, then he needs to resign as a Senator. I don't see this kind of stuff through party glasses. Both republicans and democrats have been guilty in the pass of wrongdoing. Neither party is innocent and I think all need to be reminded of that if they try to make this a party issue. When something like this happens, it is representative of the man, not the party he is affialiated with. If I held the democratic party responisble for what Bill Clinton did, then I would never have voted for Bud Cramer in his last two campaigns. :D

But, what I am hearing by some independent analysts on all the different news outlets, the case is a little shaky. But I don't belive the prosecuter is politically motivated because he is a democrat. I did a little research on the guy and he has prosecuted several democrats for some ethical things also. He seems pretty unbiased, going by his history anyway.

Well, it looks like I could have been wrong about the DA. Seems that everybody may have their "price" afterall.

D.A. in DeLay Case Courted Film Crew

Friday, September 30, 2005

Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas district attorney who brought the criminal case against House Majority Leader Tom DeLay gave a movie crew behind-the-scenes access during the investigation — proof, DeLay's defenders say, that the D.A. is trying to make headlines for himself.

"It proves that Ronnie Earle's determination to move ahead with a baseless case was scripted from day one," said Ben Porritt, DeLay's spokesman in Washington.....

Link

If Delay is guilty, then he needs to resign as a Senator.

185295[/snapback]

Not to be a slam, I am assuming you were just typing fast and mistyped but Delay is a Represenative.

Archived