Summing it up. QB, Rb and O-lIne=Great!

DKW 86

WE PLAYED MUCH BETTER THAN ENOUGH TO WIN THE BALL GAME.

Irons ran for 218 yards.

Defense held :lsu: Offense to just 10 points in regulation.

The Kicking Game Let us down. Coverage gives up Cheap TD with D off the field.

Two positions that we were supposedly very strong in were WR and Kicking game. Our kickers were preseason All-SEC. Well, it is pretty obvious that our kicking game needs major attention.

We have kicked off out of bounds how many times and are still doing it?

We cannot cover a punt? Inflict the real damage while the defense is off the field?

We cannot be worse in fgs. We have not been consistent for years and now another huge game slips away from us because we blow 5? Come on. There is no excuse for 5 missed FGs. None.

I support this staff and team as much or more than anyone on any message board, but we have to have a dedicated special teams coach.

QB, RB, O-Line, What can you say? They did wonderfully. Kenny Irons is the stud back and with Lester Back we can beat anyone. With our O-Line, we can beat anyone. With BC playing like he did tonight, we can beat anyone.

WRs continuously dropping passes. Maybe it was just an off day, Lord knows they were due.

We shut :lsu: out in the first half, except a gift TD on a punt return. Our D did great.

It is a shame, that all the hard work and effort by so many was wiped out by a kicking game that continues to underperform.

I agree with everything you said. We moved the ball pretty good last night. We stopped ourselves many times. Wayyyy too many dropped passes. I counted at least 6 or 7 that BC put right in their hands. But, in all fairness LSU dropped a couple of sure TD passes too. I just expect the good guys to catch these... especially the seniors. One good thing... when we beat Bammer we will forget this game.

I agree with most said with the following execptions----

Where were our db's and safety's??????????

Why only a 3 man rush??????????????

Why can't our defense be ready when the other team's "O" comes to the line??????????

Why did our "D" play the most UNINSPIRED just after we scored a TD??????????

How did lsu march the field and score after every TD we scored to go ahead????????

Coach Gibbs, where are you??????????

No flame intended, but our "D" line and backers deserved better than this.

It is a shame, that all the hard work and effort by so many was wiped out by a kicking game that continues to underperform.

191606[/snapback]

Uh, we didn't kick off out of bounds at the LSU game.

191606[/snapback]

Uh, we didn't kick off out of bounds at the LSU game.

191614[/snapback]

Thought we kicked out of bounds after the FG in the 2nd?

Why can't our defense be ready when the other team's "O" comes to the line??????????

How did lsu march the field and score after every TD we scored to go ahead????????

191611[/snapback]

I too was complaining about the time we gave LR, but I think they committed to stop the run and make LR beat us. I think that was a good game plan seeing how the D only gave up 10 points. The D played a great game, PERIOD!

LSU is a top ten team, I don't think the TD was as much uninspired defense as it was a very good team answering the TD AU just scored.

I wouldn't say our O-line played "great". They weren't horrible, but LSU had pretty good pressure on Cox, and hit RB's in the backfield too many times. I understand that LSU has a very good defense, and I wouldn't disagree that our O line played alright, or even good - but not great.

We also had no real pass rush ourselves - what happened to our awesome D ends?? We haven't been getting sacks all year?

Our recievers dropped WAY too many balls. A few good catches, but Cox was 7 for 23 in the third quarter - and that wasn't his fault. I would love to see how many dropped passes we had.

Kicking - heck I think I would have been better at the FG kicking last night, and I've never kicked before - that was Horrible!!

on the positive side:

Cox threw much more accurately than his stats showed - and no turnovers.

Irons ran like a man possessed - great job.

I guess no we need to pull for Bama over LSU, and we need to win out.

I agree with you. However, I am a little like GoAU when it comes to the O-line. I would have liked to have seen them do a better job on pass blocking. I can't really say how good they did with run blocking because even though KI had a heck of a game, alot of his big runs was because of second and third effort on his part and not because of any big holes made for him.

When looking at the different areas that cost us the game, I think the area that hurt us the most was the dropped passes. Some may think that the missed field goals that cost us 15 points would be the #1 culpril. However, if we did not have so many dropped passes, we may never had to have had to try all of those field goal attempts or they would have been at least closer attempts.

Let's see if we get the same treatment in the polls that other teams have for hanging with top ranked teams.

It's rare when ALL of your WR's have the "dropsy" but that certainly was the case last night....The WRs sucked. Also, our OL seems to think they have to be behind before they get their behinds in gear and start blowing folks off the ball. That SHOULD be corrected by Nall.

Agree with everything said. O-Line was excellent on run and average on pass. I also believe that great running backs break the tackles to make big gainers. O-Line should get you the hole and the great ones do the rest. KI is shaping up to be a great one.

Penalties!! We have to eliminate them. It seems every penalty we have comes at such a crucial point of a drive. This goes back to GT game.

If AU correct kicking game issues I believe they have a real chance to run the table and still be in Atlanta with a little help.

I thought it was a team? Were there other mistakes? John Vaughn missed some field goals. No matter there were other opportunities to win. You win as a team or loose as a team. Both teams had miscues that could have put it out of reach for the other. But it came down to a missed field goal in overtime. Looking back just TWO months, all the experts and most/many on this board were predicting AUBURN to loose to LSU.

This was a game that they played well enough to win and just well enough to loose. I hate it and I am disappointed but I don't hurt like those players and coaches.

I pretty much agree with most of the above. Putting in my $0.02:

We won the statistics battle in almost every major catagory: rushing yards (230 vs 149), passing yards (221 vs. 190), first downs (20 vs. 17), and punting (5-46 ave. vs. 7-39 ave.). We trailed in return yards (231 vs. 272) and penalty yards (6-45 vs. 5-30).

Now I'd trade all of that for the "W" at the end, but we played well enough to beat a Top-10 team favored by 6 1/2 points. We're for real and we're only going to get better. Forget about strength of schedule questions--our opponents now know we're a team to be respected that is quite capable of beating everyone left on our schedule.

Pros:

Brandon Cox is an SEC caliber quarterback. He's no longer "the new kid", the "untested 'virgin'". He's got an even greater future, but he's our general now and he can get the job done. There's no reason to be concerned about him as the weak link on the team.

Ronnie and Carnell will always be special in Auburn history, but when Brad gets healthy again the "Brad & Kenny Show" might be just as good.

Our O-line wasn't perfect, but they played as well anyone has against one of the biggest, most talented defenses in the country.

Our D-line did not let LSU's huge O-line dominate them. They were not perfect either, but they never let the physically larger LSU establish any sort of dominant running game.

Cons:

It's easy to pick on the kicking team. The single breakdown in coverage on LSU's one touchdown return was just as fatal to us as the five missed field goals.

As far as the field goals are concerned, as I said on another thread: If we missed five field goals, it also means we were that close to the endzone five times and failed to punch it in for a touchdown. I hate that we didn't make any of those 3-pointers, but I also hate that our usually solid red zone production took a big hit last night. I'd love to have a placekicker that hit everything inside of 60 yards every time. But I'd rather have an offense that doesn't stall out in field goal range but drives on in for a TD.

Both teams need to spend a lot of time on the passing game this week, on both offense and defense. The game could have been a lot uglier had LSU's receivers not dropped so many, because they burned our coverage many times. Of course, the same was true in reverse--their coverage was frequently poor as well, but we couldn't catch and capitalize on it either. I don't expect receivers or DB's on either team to have much fun in practice this week!

Talking to a Bama fan after both games last night, we agreed: Bama won by three points, but did little to make him comfortable--they looked like a team that can be beaten (and probably will be, IMHO). Auburn lost by three points, but left me feeling confident--we looked like a team that can beat anyone. Even while losing, we looked deserving of our 16th place ranking. While winning, Bama raised suspicions of their 5th place ranking.

[This got a little longer than I planned, so maybe it's my $0.08 worth. :rolleyes: ]

On the whole, the team played great. The missed FGs and punt return were obviously disappointing. I hope this game doesn't get inside Vaughn's head too much. Too many balls were dropped. Timeout management was not too good. But if you had told me an AU back would go for over 200 yards, AU would approach 500 yards, AU would not turn the ball over and the D would hold LSU to 10 points in regulation, I could not have imagined an AU loss. Tough game, but we saw a tough AU Tiger team that can beat anyone on the schedule.

191611[/snapback]

Could not have said it better.

Archived