Hype over QB recruit deja vu all over again.

DKW 86

LINK

Around here, all the hot air about a hot-shot high school quarterback is deja vu all over again.

It's Brodie Croyle, and before him Tyler Watts, and before them Billy Ray and Jeff Dunn, and so on and so forth. It's what happens when hope meets hype at the most important position on the field.

It's all as foolish as it is premature, and not just because it'll be an upset if Tebow chooses Alabama over Florida.

If he does roll with the Tide, it'll be nice if he's not expected to win a national championship and the Heisman Trophy.

At least until he enrolls.

LINK
Around here, all the hot air about a hot-shot high school quarterback is deja vu all over again.

It's Brodie Croyle, and before him Tyler Watts, and before them Billy Ray and Jeff Dunn, and so on and so forth. It's what happens when hope meets hype at the most important position on the field.

It's all as foolish as it is premature, and not just because it'll be an upset if Tebow chooses Alabama over Florida.

If he does roll with the Tide, it'll be nice if he's not expected to win a national championship and the Heisman Trophy.

At least until he enrolls.

204871[/snapback]

i don't understand the Heisman talk? I, personally, have never said that any UA QB would win the Heisman. None ever has, and i'm not sure one ever will. I could really care less. What does the Heisman mean? You're the best player in college football? Great, here, have a cookie! <_< You can be the best thing since Bo, but if your team doesnt' win out (i.e. NC) what have you really accomplished? Sheesh, NC talk is one thing, Heisman talk is pointless. Bunch of "experts" and media personnel kissing ass to a player from whatever team is generally in the national spotlight at the time.

I'm through now...

Translation: "uat has NO Heisman winners!" :D

Jxn, I dont know how old you are or whether you ever kept up with Tyler Watts. It was said by hundreds, maybe thoiusands of Bama Fans that TW would win TWO Heisman's at Bama. Finebaum laughs about it all the time. If you dont believe me, I'll call in Monday and we will share a laugh for you. It was truly sick when Watts was recruited. I mean the kid could have won a MNC and a Heisman and still been considered a failure with all the hype he got. ;)

Jxn, I dont know how old you are or whether you ever kept up with Tyler Watts. It was said by hundreds, maybe thoiusands of Bama Fans that TW would win TWO Heisman's at Bama. Finebaum laughs about it all the time. If you dont believe me, I'll call in Monday and we will share a laugh for you. It was truly sick when Watts was recruited. I mean the kid could have won a MNC and a Heisman and still been considered a failure with all the hype he got.  ;)

204880[/snapback]

no, i keep up with it, and him also... what i said was "I, PERSONALLY," have never said any of our QBs would win Heisman's. I agree with your last statement especially, which is another reason i don't get sold on recruiting info, like i told you. You hype a player up this much, he's almost set up to fail. Leave the recruiting to the coaches, and talk about the players when they PERFORM on the field to their expectations. Let it run it's course.

Oh, by the way, i'm 22, and 16 years a BAMA fan... if that changes anything

Jxn, I dont know how old you are or whether you ever kept up with Tyler Watts. It was said by hundreds, maybe thoiusands of Bama Fans that TW would win TWO Heisman's at Bama. Finebaum laughs about it all the time. If you dont believe me, I'll call in Monday and we will share a laugh for you. It was truly sick when Watts was recruited. I mean the kid could have won a MNC and a Heisman and still been considered a failure with all the hype he got.  ;)

204880[/snapback]

no, i keep up with it, and him also... what i said was "I, PERSONALLY," have never said any of our QBs would win Heisman's. I agree with your last statement especially, which is another reason i don't get sold on recruiting info, like i told you. You hype a player up this much, he's almost set up to fail. Leave the recruiting to the coaches, and talk about the players when they PERFORM on the field to their expectations. Let it run it's course.

204884[/snapback]

Bout what I thought. I am 43, Was a huge bama fan up until I got my Scholly to :au: for NROTC while in the Navy. (God has a sence of humor.) From age 10 till 19 I was huge Bama fan. Dad and other family members were/are Bama Boosters/Red Elephants. I have a lot of Bama history in my past. Went to :au: in 1981 with Dye. Fell in love with :au: in a few weeks and discovered almost all the :bs: was totally wrong. I could go on and on...

Now I spend copious amounts of cash following and supporting :au:

204880[/snapback]

204884[/snapback]

Bout what I thought. I am 43, Was a huge bama fan up until I got my Scholly to :au: for NROTC while in the Navy. (God has a sence of humor.) From age 10 till 19 I was huge Bama fan. Dad and other family members were/are Bama Boosters/Red Elephants. I have a lot of Bama history in my past. Went to :au: in 1981 with Dye. Fell in love with :au: in a few weeks and discovered almost all the :bs: was totally wrong. I could go on and on...

Now I spend copious amounts of cash following and supporting :au:

204887[/snapback]

My entire family is Ms St. alumni/fans/boosters. My aunt and uncle own skyboxes at both the football and baseball field. Never was a fan though. I saw my first BAMA game that i remember with my dad around age 6 or 7, and been following them ever since. Of course, it's been more so in the past five or so years when i really got into following all the players, etc. Guess about the time Shaun Alexander came through UA. Only reason i'm not at Ms. St. is because i changed my major to pre-med (subsequently to nursing) and passed up my electrical engineering scholly.

JxnTider... you may not care much about the Heisman but I can assure you the vast majority of your Crimson Comrades want one. I hear all this stuff about team play being more important than individual awards but the bammers get real excited when a player like Demeco Ryans gets to be a finalist for a big award. :big:

No question recruiting is vital.

But it's only about 25% of the story.

Look at Ray Goff at Georgia. I don't recall a better recruiter. But he couldn't win, and he didn't last.

Shula seems to be an affable, likeable type and has a knack for signing guys (not that he's had knockout years) strictly on personality. I suspect his "association" with the NFL has some allure, but it doesn't bear much analysis.

But he also seems to depend on talent to win--I see neither great strategy nor sideline coaching that smacks of brilliance. Kines has been a big help to him on D, but those results may change this coming season.

Conversely, I saw Petrino take a 4th string, true freshman running back and beat a 10-win team by changing alignments and spreads and confusing the opponent's defense.

And Borges is better than Petrino.

For Tebow's sake and career, I hope he considers his decision very carefully. On the other hand, he would cause us more grief if he signed with Meyer or Spurrier. Given his running ability, it would seem he would do better at Florida with Meyer. Maybe Southern Cal or Michigan will get him out of the SEC.

I have absolute confidence in our staff. They recruit well and develop the talent they recruit to the fullest.

Archived