A challenge to O'Reilly

TexasTiger

Kristof challenges O'Reilly to visit Darfur with him

In Sunday's New York Times, columnist Nicholas D. Kristof challenges Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly to take a trip to Darfur with him to see "a real war against Christmas values," RAW STORY has learned.

Kristof offers "prayers" that O'Reilly and "other money-changers in the temple" will realize that the spirit of Christmas is about helping the needy and that fighting against genocide is a more worthy cause than "hectoring people to say 'Merry Christmas,' rather than 'Happy Holidays.'"

Excerpts from Nicholas D. Kristof's "A Challenge for Bill O'Reilly" follow:

#

After I suggested in last Sunday's column that a better way to honor the season might be to stand up to genocide in Darfur (a calamity that O'Reilly has ignored), O'Reilly denounced me on his show as a "left-wing ideologue." Bless you, Mr. O'Reilly, and Merry Christmas to you, too!

Later in the show, O'Reilly described us print journalists in general as "a bunch of vicious SOBs." Bless you again, Mr. O'Reilly; I'll pray harder for the Christmas spirit to soften your pugnacious soul.

So I have a challenge for you, Mr. O'Reilly: If you really want to defend traditional values, then come with me on a trip to Darfur. I'll introduce you to mothers who have had their babies clubbed to death in front of them, to teenage girls who have been gang-raped and then mutilated -- and to the government-armed thugs who do these things.

You'll have to leave your studio, Bill. You'll encounter pure evil. If you're like me, you'll be scared. If you try to bully some of the goons in Darfur, they'll just hack your head off. But you'll also meet some genuine conservative Christians -- aid workers who live the Gospel instead of sputtering about it -- and you'll finally be using your talents for an important cause.

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Kristof_chal...arfur_1217.html

Classic grandstanding , example A.

the spirit of Christmas is about helping the needy and that fighting against genocide is a more worthy cause than "hectoring people to say 'Merry Christmas,' rather than 'Happy Holidays.'"

First of all, O'Reily's point about Christmas HERE , in the United States being under siege from the secular Left can hardly be confused w/ a dire situation involving state run gang rapes and murders ( Kinda sounds like Saddam's Iraq, huh ? ). There's no question that such a world as Darfur is a horrible enviroment, but it's a totally different conversation. than the one involving O'Reily.

Secondly, no one cares about Africa. That's not a harsh personal view, it's a reality. How many genocides have come and gone, and EVERYONE from Europe to America barely makes a mention. Live Aid, Live 8... all the generosity in the world doesn't seem to make one iotoa's worth of difference.

Sure, it's as noble an effort to save those in Darfur as those in Iraq, but you can bet that if the US tries anything, the same cries of 'Imperialist, NAZIS, Colonalist Power! will be shouted by the Left, right on que.

Classic grandstanding , example A.
the spirit of Christmas is about helping the needy and that fighting against genocide is a more worthy cause than "hectoring people to say 'Merry Christmas,' rather than 'Happy Holidays.'"

First of all, O'Reily's point about Christmas HERE , in the United States being under siege from the secular Left can hardly be confused w/ a dire situation involving state run gang rapes and murders ( Kinda sounds like Saddam's Iraq, huh ? ). There's no question that such a world as Darfur is a horrible enviroment, but it's a totally different conversation. than the one involving O'Reily.

Secondly, no one cares about Africa. That's not a harsh personal view, it's a reality. How many genocides have come and gone, and EVERYONE from Europe to America barely makes a mention. Live Aid, Live 8... all the generosity in the world doesn't seem to make one iotoa's worth of difference.

Sure, it's as noble an effort to save those in Darfur as those in Iraq, but you can bet that if the US tries anything, the same cries of 'Imperialist, NAZIS, Colonalist Power! will be shouted by the Left, right on que.

205989[/snapback]

The point is, O'Reilly, Falwell and others are grandstanding meaninglessly when they concern themselves with what a Walmart greeter would do. Would Christ really care about what a Walmart greeter would say to shoppers ?

The point is, O'Reilly, Falwell and others are grandstanding meaninglessly when they concern themselves with what a Walmart greeter would do. Would Christ really care about what a Walmart greeter would say to shoppers ?

Most folks understand that JC wasn't born on Dec 24th. But there's a legitimate claim to be made about the de-emphasizing of Christmas during the latter part of December and its impact on the American culture. JC wouldn't care about Santa, caroling ,or anyone getting the Ronco Pocket Fisherman on 'annual gift giving day' either. But what is behind the doing away with selling 'Christmas' Trees and instead offering 'Holiday' Trees? The case has been made and well documented. O'Reily has a point. To confuse the issue w/ a human crisis occuring in Africa, once again, is simply unnecessary.

Most folks understand that JC wasn't born on Dec 24th. But there's a legitimate claim to be made about the de-emphasizing of Christmas during the latter part of December and its impact on the American culture. JC wouldn't care about Santa, caroling ,or anyone getting the Ronco Pocket Fisherman on 'annual gift giving day' either. But what is behind the doing away with selling 'Christmas' Trees and instead offering 'Holiday' Trees? The case has been made and well documented. O'Reily has a point. To confuse the issue w/ a human crisis occuring in Africa, once again, is simply unnecessary.

205997[/snapback]

Granted, their is some validity to part of what O'Reilly claims, but he grossly overplays his hand. For example, getting upset because a greeter at a retail chain doesn't assume that everyone celebrates Christmas is ridiculous. Plus O'Reilly has spread lies about schools and towns banning things they haven't banned-- in keeping with his ongoing assault on the truth. Beside, he's his hypocrite. His own website hawked "Holiday" gifts until he was called on it.

Granted, their is some validity to part of what O'Reilly claims, but he grossly overplays his hand. For example, getting upset because a greeter at a retail chain doesn't assume that everyone celebrates Christmas is ridiculous. Plus O'Reilly has spread lies about schools and towns banning things they haven't banned-- in keeping with his ongoing assault on the truth. Beside, he's his hypocrite. His own website hawked "Holiday" gifts until he was called on it.

Clearly, you are a bigger fan of O'Reily than I. Others have made mention and even written books on the war on Christmas, and narry once did they mention any dept. store greeter refusing to say 'Merry Christmas'. Seems to be an O'Reily centric peeve, or something. Also, I don't frequent Mr Bill's website, so telling me after the fact what wasn't , but now is on there is sort of a moot point. My perception of the world does not begin or end with Mr Bill's view. I don't get his memo, talking points, or what ever.

Clearly, you are a bigger fan of O'Reily than I. Others have made mention and even written books on the war on Christmas, and narry once did they mention any dept. store greeter refusing to say 'Merry Christmas'.  Seems to be an O'Reily centric peeve, or something. Also, I don't frequent Mr Bill's website, so telling me after the fact what wasn't , but now is on there is sort of a moot point.  My perception of the world does not begin or end with Mr Bill's view. I don't get his memo, talking points, or what ever.

Finally, I agree with you about something. Extremes coming from either end of the spectrum of politics is not my cup of tea. To me, it seems the media is too caught up in insignificant issues with more important stories either suppressed or on the back burner. What happened to real news?

What happened to real news?

The media will inform us what is and is not real news. And I'm not just talking about the network news fokls, but also the entertainment world as well. We'll be told what to like, how much, and for how long.

Imagine if ordinary folks took the time to see what was going on in the world for themselves?

:roflol:

The silent majority sit around until its almost too late. Folks like O'reilly ring the bell to let the silent majority kow that the ball is beginning to roll. There is a point in which no amount of rallying will save us. But there is also a tremendous influence wielded by us. As seen in the last election. So yes. It is important what a greeeter says to me during my time of celebrating the birth of Christ. And its all about my money. If your business can survive with just the atheist, jewish, agnostic money then go ahead and alienate us, the silent majority. But there are more of us than you could ever imagine. We mostly keep quiet. But we are not Jesus and just because he said to turn the other cheek doesn't mean you and your anti Christmas goons can continue to spit on us. I for one only have two cheeks. After that, your free pass has expired.

The silent majority sit around until its almost too late. Folks like O'reilly ring the bell to let the silent majority kow that the ball is beginning to roll. There is a point in which no amount of rallying will save us. But there is also a tremendous influence wielded by us. As seen in the last election. So yes. It is important what a greeeter says to me during my time of celebrating the birth of Christ. And its all about my money. If your business can survive with just the atheist, jewish, agnostic money then go ahead and alienate us, the silent majority. But there are more of us than you could ever imagine. We mostly keep quiet. But we are not Jesus and just because he said to turn the other cheek doesn't mean you and your anti Christmas goons can continue to spit on us. I for one only have two cheeks. After that, your free pass has expired.

206446[/snapback]

:huh: :blink:

But we are not Jesus and just because he said to turn the other cheek doesn't mean you and your anti Christmas goons can continue to spit on us.

Me and my anti-Christmas goons? You're funny. It is totally unintentional and utterly pathetic, but you are funny.

So you equate someone smiling at you, and not knowing your religious affiliation or greeting preference, offering a "Happy Holidays", (translation: "Happy Holy Days.") as "spit[ting] on you?"

If I know your religion and greeting preference, and it happens to be "Merry Christmas," you'll get a big hearty one from me. If the store greeter gives me a big, "Merry Christmas," I'll smile and return the same. But if I ran a big retail operation and didn't know what each stranger walking in believed or preferred, what is so insulting about me offering a "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings?" If someone responds, "Merry Christmas," then I could comfortably reply back "Merry Christmas." Why insist on the battlelines?

Now whether Christ would want you to insist he gets associated with this secular materialistic creation is a whole 'nother discussion. We know it is matter of taking on the goons for you, but do you really think he cares whether the Walmart greeter references his name when someone comes in to shop 'till they drop? If so, could you reference the verse you are relying upon?

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :big:

Archived