Out of AU's current group of verbals...

BamaGrad03

Chris Slaughter. I think he will be an almost instant star, just my opinion though.

What about Alabama? I could see a few of the DB's and OL's starting, especially Andre Smith, which do you think?

I would say either (1) Greg Smith, (2) Chris Slaughter or (3) Alex Rose.

But I would also think Deantwan Whitehead and Tim Hawthorne will get playing time, but you limited the question with "current group of verbals..." :big:

Chris Slaughter.  I think he will be an almost instant star, just my opinion though.

What about Alabama?  I could see a few of the DB's and OL's starting, especially Andre Smith, which do you think?

214056[/snapback]

if we get andre it will obviously be him...but if we dont, id say its Mike McCoy WR...or Recardo Wright if we can manage to keep him from Diddy Bowden.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, however you look at it), lately CTT hasn't been a big proponent of giving a lot of playing time to true freshmen. The biggest case that comes to mind from last year is Trey Blackmon. Everyone said that he would come in and push for a starting job, etc. He even got a redshirt. From what I heard about him, though, get ready because the SEC hasn't seen anything quite like him in a long time. This guy puts people in the hospital when he hits.

We will be a little thin at WR next year, however, so maybe one of this year's signees will get some PT, but as loaded as we will be at most other positions, I would look for most of the rest to redshirt. Slaughter or, if we get him, Hawthorne would be the best bets.

Who's most likely to see the field first/most next season?

214049[/snapback]

What about Alabama?

214056[/snapback]

Hopefully, it is their QB who sees the field the most - up close, very early and often.

(again)

Chris Slaughter.  I think he will be an almost instant star, just my opinion though.

What about Alabama?  I could see a few of the DB's and OL's starting, especially Andre Smith, which do you think?

214056[/snapback]

I'm just hoping Greg makes his grades. If he does and gets on the field then watch out, that is a huge plug up the middle :rolleyes:

DEF greg smith..but he's Juco so we'll think of this question a little harder. What positions could see a TFr compete for the starting job? If Kenny left then I'd say Ben Tate or Fanin. But he didn't so hopefully they'll redshirt. The recievers have a really good chance to compete early (Chris Slaughter (if he qualifies), Alex Rose (if he doesn't decommit), Tim Hawthorne (if he commits), Terrell Zachary (If he can step up and not be overwhelmed by playing for a big time school I think he was only 1 or 2A)). I would definitely put the best chances on the recievers. Hopefully all 4 of them will be on the Plains next year.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Everyone talking about how thin we will be at receiver has me a little bumfuzzled. We return Courtney Taylor, who everyone was concerned would be going pro before last season, Prechae Rodriguez, Rod Smith and Lee Guess, all who got a good bit of playing time last year, not to mention Montez Billings, a RFr that was a hot shot coming out of high school. We will miss the leadership of Ben and Devin and the clutch receptions of A. Mix, but I think we already have talent that will step in. I don't see more than one of the new receivers getting any playing time next year.

Maybe Slaughter at WR or a lineman at center (backup) or kicker but I seriously doubt any TFr will see significant playing time. We are not deep at WR or center but enough talent is on scholly to compete in the SEC. Any kicker who is consistent could start, beyond that though our roster is loaded at all positions.

214056[/snapback]

if we get andre it will obviously be him...but if we dont, id say its Mike McCoy WR...or Recardo Wright if we can manage to keep him from Diddy Bowden.

214157[/snapback]

I had heard that Diddy was working pretty hard on him, but since he hasn't changed allegiances as of yet I assumed that he was firm with his commitment.

Of course, they have been known to pull the rug on several other teams at the last minute, so I guess anything is possible.

Everyone talking about how thin we will be at receiver has me a little bumfuzzled.  We return Courtney Taylor, who everyone was concerned would be going pro before last season, Prechae Rodriguez, Rod Smith and Lee Guess, all who got a good bit of playing time last year, not to mention Montez Billings, a RFr that was a hot shot coming out of high school.  We will miss the leadership of Ben and Devin and the clutch receptions of A. Mix, but I think we already have talent that will step in.  I don't see more than one of the new receivers getting any playing time next year.

214249[/snapback]

I don't believe that Auburn is thin, I just really think after reading a good bit about Slaughter that he has the potential to be an instant star. While the position is not thin, I don't think that Coach Knox would turn down a little help this year from a standout.

214056[/snapback]

ANY o-lineman that is new to the uat payroll should be an INSTANT starter. In case you haven't heard, uat has NO linemen on the team as of today. B)

Can what he does actually qualify as "playing"? :D

Well, unless there is someone even more exceptional than I think, you can mark off all the OL recruits. It just takes too much for an OL to be ready their true freshman year. Had Tilley gotten in early, I might would have listed him, but that wasn't the case. The secondary is absolutely loaded with everyone of consequence returning there, so I think it's safe to say Etheridge won't see the field before a redshirt season. Quarterback is pretty much out of the question for first year guys finding playing time as well, and, if we sign a TE, I think you can mark that one out as well with Bennett, Trott, and McKenzie returning. A big time stud linebacker might have a shot, but I don't think Hendrick is going to out talent Blackman, Sears, Dede, Johnson, Evans, and Horton.

Now to those positions that have a shot. On the DL, there is some room for a player to break into the rotation, and there are players that have a good shot. I think the player with the best shot of the current commits at that position, as has been said, is Greg Smith. However, since he isn't an incoming freshman, I'll say there isn't a TRUE freshman likely to see the playing field. Once you add Smith, DT is pretty solid with Thompson, Doolittle, Sims, Marks, and Odum. Obviously, I'm banking on one of the guys that are RSF to contribute, but their chances are better than a TFR. At DE, it will take Whitehead or Miller to get on the field early, but either of them have the potential if they come to AU. Of the guys currently committed at the position, I don't see an early player. At WR, Slaughter is a player if he gets in, but I'm not sure if anyone else is. It's hard to know what progression guys like Billings and Swinton have had, and Prechea, Courtney, and Dunn are pretty much given to be the top three. After those, there are walkons that have and/or are threatening like Ramsey and Smith. Even with all of those guys at the position, the rotation can be cracked and I like Slaughter's ability. Runningback is a hard one because there is a lot of talent returning, however Fannin and Tate are amazingly talented. Borges doesn't like to keep talent on the bench. With Tate already at AU and having averaged right at 20 ypc, I like his chances of seeing the field. Fannin is going to have a little tougher road because of getting a later start. I don't think both of them can get on the field, but one of them will unless I'm just bad off my rocker.

Well, that may have been more than asked for, but that's a summary of my thoughts.

kj

Archived