Top 25 recruiters

RVTiger

Other than the usual, "He must cheat" crap, what makes Rodney Garner such a grea recruiter? Does anybody know?

I have always "heard" that it is his communication skills. The same thing that makes a good salesman..."good". Again, just what I have heard. :au:

Other than the usual, "He must cheat" crap, what makes Rodney Garner such a grea recruiter? Does anybody know?

219400[/snapback]

Ummmm... maybe he is great Auburn man who learned to try to live the creed and has carried this with him in his career. This is what I strive for, and this is what I like to believe makes him successful. I hope he does well, and, heck, maybe we can get him to come home to Auburn one day and get those recruits for us!

Thanks a lot Tater tot. Garner would have stayed at AU 'til the day he died. Instead, we have had to COMPETE with one of the best in the business. I think this was the biggest screw up of the Bowden era. They should have fired Bowden before they let him get rid of Garner.

219400[/snapback]

Ummmm... maybe he is great Auburn man who learned to try to live the creed and has carried this with him in his career. This is what I strive for, and this is what I like to believe makes him successful. I hope he does well, and, heck, maybe we can get him to come home to Auburn one day and get those recruits for us!

219476[/snapback]

So since he is the best recruiter year in and year out then he is the only one who does this in college football?

Being a great AU man makes him a great man, but that is not what makes him one of the best recruiters around otherwise all AU men would be great recruiters and we would have the number one class every year and be working on our 20th national champion.

I was looking for serious insight into what makes this work.

Been told many times and even read Rodney saying that he identified with the kids so well. He listens to and talks with them about their music etc. I cant see Nall and many others with a great rap cd collection.

1. Larry Johnson, Penn State

2. Rob Ianello, Notre Dame

3. Todd McNair, Southern Cal

4. Rodney Garner, Georgia :au: Pedigree

5. Dabo Swinney, Clemson :ua: Pedigree

Funny that they are both not in state anymore...... ;)

To answer your question about what goes into making a great recruiter, I think it takes an incredible amount of work in building relationships with high school coaches. I feel as though a recruiter builds reputation for being honest with the kids, parents, ect and this reputation builds over the years until high scool coaches feel comfortable that the guy won't lead them in a bad direction. There is no real shortcut to developing this in a recruiter.

The other quality has been mentioned before. It is the same quality that makes a good salesman. Someone who can really "sell" the program.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want Garner back at Auburn. I hate that Tater run him off but he is a changed man since then. If you ever get the chance , ask Phil Fulmer why he ran him off from Tenn. And most seem to forget that after he went to Tenn. he continued to call Auburn players (Fred Beasley, et. al.) running his mouth off about us. I talked to Coach Fulmer about that and he put a stop to it.

Because we all know Fulmer to be an honest, truthful man

If you ever want to hear a great story, ask Fulmer about his relationship with Archie Manning. That is a true kicker about Fulmer's off-the-field antics

OK link, I didn't say anything about Garner's tenure with the dawgs but if you want me to start just say so. I will just give you a hint....I have known Vince Dooley since we were classmates at Auburn.

You can start whatever you want.

If you think saying Dooley cheated, Garner is cheating, or whoever is cheating will somehow get to me, you are sadly mistaken.

I have no doubt that Garner isn't an angel on the recruiting trail and I know Dooley loved to cut corners as our HC.

But, I also know that every other major SEC school does almost the exact same thing and with several friends that got recruited by them....I feel decetly satisfied that I know what the schools did.

I personally laugh when UGA fans mock UT/UF for under-the-radar activities on the recruiting trail. It's the recruiting way of 2006.

If anyone here thinks Tubs, Richt, Fulmer, or Meyer are all angels...well, I think you would be surprised.

You can start whatever you want.

If you think saying Dooley cheated, Garner is cheating, or whoever is cheating will somehow get to me, you are sadly mistaken.

I have no doubt that Garner isn't an angel on the recruiting trail and I know Dooley loved to cut corners as our HC.

But, I also know that every other major SEC school does almost the exact same thing and with several friends that got recruited by them....I feel decetly satisfied that I know what the schools did.

I personally laugh when UGA fans mock UT/UF for under-the-radar activities on the recruiting trail. It's the recruiting way of 2006.

If anyone here thinks Tubs, Richt, Fulmer, or Meyer are all angels...well, I think you would be surprised.

219594[/snapback]

I in no way meant to even insinuate that Vince Dooley ever cheated. I just meant that Vince has told me some interesting things over the years. The subject was Rodney Garner and I assure you that compared to Garner, Tubs, Richt, and Fulmer are all angels. I know I'm biased but I tnink Tubs places a lot of emphasis on character and it obviously shows when you look at the number of players having problems as compared to Georgia and Tenn. over the last few years.

You are one of those "everybody cheats to some degree." I don't buy that but that's JMHO. I will leave it at that and end this by saying that if you are happy with Garner that's great. Keep him at Georgia and I'm happy because I don't ever want him back at Auburn. :puke:

Archived