What single positive contribution has Ann Coulter

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just one.

245733[/snapback]

Could ask the same about Clinton. Hillary or Bill.

245737[/snapback]

True. And I would much rather watch Ann speak than the ugly cow that is Hillary. Not to mention, I agree with most of what Ann says.

Just one.

245733[/snapback]

Could ask the same about Clinton. Hillary or Bill.

245737[/snapback]

True. And I would much rather watch Ann speak than the ugly cow that is Hillary. Not to mention, I agree with most of what Ann says.

245753[/snapback]

I'll admit there was a brief moment years ago when I thought Ann Coulter was physically semi-attractive, but fortunately she opened her mouth and dissuaded me of that delusion.

As for one good thing from Bill Clinton: For starters, he and Bush Sr. have united to raise a lot more money for tsunami & Katrina relief than Ann has.

Just one? Impossible. Ann Coulter is an accomplished author, political commentator and one of the finest satirists of our time. Here's what wikpedia lists about her: link

Ann Hart Coulter (born December 8, 1961) is a controversial American syndicated columnist, author, attorney, former litigator with the Center For Individual Rights, and "relentlessly combative"[1] conservative pundit who frequently appears on national television and radio programs, and who frequently speaks on college campuses and at other events. [2]

She writes and speaks in a highly combative style:

"Coulter's approach is not so much take no prisoners as capture one's opponents, string them up with piano wire, machine-gun them until all movement has ceased and then fire a celebratory volley into the air." [9]

Contents [hide]

1 Biography

1.1 Education and early legal career

1.2 Religious views

2 Media career

2.1 Television and films

2.2 Books

2.3 Columns

3 Political activities

3.1 The Paula Jones - Bill Clinton case

3.2 Potential congressional run

4 Allegations of improper acts

4.1 Registration and voting

4.2 Coulter's Plagiarism

5 Coulter courts controversy

5.1 Criticism of her style

5.2 Factual disputes

5.3 Speeches at college campuses

5.4 The 9/11 "Jersey Girls"

5.5 Remarks regarding bombing The New York Times

5.6 Coulter on domestic separatists

5.7 Coulter on Arabs and Muslims

5.8 Coulter on women

5.9 Confederate flag

6 Trivia

7 Notes and references

8 External links

[edit]

Biography

Ann Coulter was born in New York City[3], and later raised in New Canaan, Connecticut, in a family she describes as "upper middle class"; she has described her attorney father as a "union buster". [4] She owns homes in New York and Florida. [5]

Coulter has described herself as a "polemicist" who likes to "stir up the pot" and makes no pretense at being "impartial or balanced, as broadcasters do." [6] She is known for her expressed disdain for the Democratic Party and American liberalism.

[edit]

Education and early legal career

As an undergraduate at Cornell University College of Arts and Sciences, Coulter helped launch a conservative newspaper, The Cornell Review, and was a member of the Delta Gamma national women's fraternity.[7]She graduated cum laude from Cornell in 1984, and received her law degree from the University of Michigan Law School, where she achieved membership in the Order of the Coif (an honor society for academic excellence) and was an editor of The Michigan Law Review.[8] At Michigan, Coulter founded a local chapter of the Federalist Society and was trained at the National Journalism Center.[9]

After law school, Coulter clerked for Pasco Bowman II of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and was an attorney in the Department of Justice Honors Program for outstanding law school graduates. After a short time in private practice in New York City, Coulter worked for the United States Senate Judiciary Committee, where she handled crime and immigration issues for Senator Spencer Abraham of Michigan. She later became a litigator with the Center For Individual Rights in Washington, D.C., a nonprofit conservative/libertarian public interest law firm dedicated (according to its website) "to the defense of individual liberties against the increasingly aggressive and unchecked authority of federal and state governments" by means of "aggresive litigation and publicity." [10] [11]

[edit]

Religious views

Coulter openly professes her Christian religious beliefs. At one public lecture she proclaimed her faith in Jesus Christ, saying: "I don't care about anything else: Christ died for my sins and nothing else matters." [12] [13] Time magazine's John Cloud reported that he attended a service at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City with Coulter, where she worships and often brings guests. [10]

When asked during an interview about the morality of non-marital sex, she replied: "Christians are the most tolerant people in the world—because we know there's original sin. We know people do bad things. But it seems to me it's a much worse thing to go around saying that it isn't a sin to commit a sin. I mean—at least feel guilty about it." [14]

She has stated that her Christian faith "fuels everything" [15] she writes, and that it particularly fuels her book Godless. In that book, Coulter says in a footnote, "Throughout this book, I often refer to Christians and Christianity because I am a Christian and I have a fairly good idea of what they believe, but the term is intended to include anyone who subscribes to the Bible of the God of Abraham, including Jews and others." Coulter has stated: "Although my Christianity is somewhat more explicit in this book (Godless), Christianity fuels everything I write. Being a Christian means that I am called upon to do battle against lies, injustice, cruelty, hypocrisy—you know, all the virtues in the church of liberalism." [16]

In a commentary on Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ" she wrote: "Being nice to people is, in fact, one of the incidental tenets of Christianity (as opposed to other religions whose tenets are more along the lines of 'kill everyone who doesn't smell bad and doesn't answer to the name Mohammed')."[11]

Coulter also quotes Christian scripture in her work. Godless begins with: "They exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creation rather than the creator.... Therefore, God gave them up to passions of dishonor, for their females exchanged the natural use for that which is contrary to nature. — Romans 1:25-26", and each chapter of the book begins with a quote from Christian scriptures.

[edit]

Media career

[edit]

Television and films

Coulter on Hannity & ColmesCoulter's first national media appearance came after she was hired in 1996 by MSNBC as a legal correspondent. She was fired the next year after an exchange with Bobby Muller, president of the anti-war group Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation, during which she said, "No wonder you guys lost." [12]

She has made frequent guest appearances on television, including The Today Show, The Tonight Show, Hannity and Colmes, The O'Reilly Factor, American Morning, Crossfire, Real Time, Politically Incorrect, The Daily Show, and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's the fifth estate.

Coulter has starred in four movies. She made her first movie appearance in 2004, when she appeared in three movies. The first was was Feeding the Beast, which was a made for TV documentary on the "24-Hour News Revolution". The other two movies were FahrenHYPE 9/11, a straight to video documentary designed to rebut Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911, and Is It True What They Say About Ann?, a documentary on Coulter containing clips of interviews and speeches.

In 2005, Coulter appeared as one of a three person judging panel in The Greatest American, a Four-part interactive television event for the Discovery Channel hosted by Matt Lauer. Starting with 100 nominees, each week interactive viewer voting eliminated candidates.

[edit]

Books

Coulter is the author of five books. All have appeared on The New York Times Best Seller list.

Her first book, High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton (ISBN 0895261138), was published by Regnery Publishing in 1998. The book details Coulter's case for the impeachment of President Bill Clinton.

Her second book, Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right (ISBN 1400046610), published by Crown Forum in 2002, remained number one on The New York Times Best Seller list for seven weeks. In Slander, Coulter argues that President George W. Bush faced an unfair battle for positive media coverage.

Her third book, Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism (ISBN 1400050308), also published by Crown Forum, defends the presidency of Richard M. Nixon and claims Democratic politicians and the media have treasonously undermined United States foreign policy. She also claims that Annie Lee Moss was correctly identified by Joseph McCarthy as a Communist. Treason was published in 2003, and spent 13 weeks on the Best Seller list [17].

Crown Forum published a collection of Coulter's columns in 2004 as her fourth book, How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter (ISBN 1400054184).

Coulter's fifth book, published by Crown Forum in 2006, is Godless: The Church of Liberalism (ISBN 1400054206). Coulter argues, first, that liberalism rejects the idea of God and reviles people of faith, and second, that it bears all the attributes of a religion itself. Godless debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. [18]

[edit]

Columns

Portrait of Ann Coulter on the cover of Time Magazine. Coulter claims this image has been manipulated.[13]Coulter's weekly syndicated column for Universal Press Syndicate is printed in more than 100 newspapers nationwide, and linked to by many conservative websites, including Frontpagemag.com and Townhall.com. Her syndicator says "Ann's client newspapers stick with her because she has a loyal fan base of conservative readers who look forward to reading her columns in their local newspapers." [19]

Several websites contain archives of Ann Coulter columns from its earliest days to the present. [20] [21] [22]

Coulter also writes a weekly legal column in the conservative magazine Human Events in which she discusses judicial rulings, constitutional issues and legal matters affecting Congress and the executive branch. Coulter was the subject of a TIME magazine cover story in April 2005.

In 2001, as a contributing editor and syndicated columnist at the National Review Online (NRO) Coulter was asked by editors to make changes to a piece written in 2001 soon after the September 11 attacks in which her friend Barbara Olson had been killed. On the national television show Politically Incorrect, Coulter accused NRO of censorship and claimed she was paid $5 per article. NRO dropped her column and terminated her. Jonah Goldberg, editor-at-large of NRO, said, "We did not 'fire' Ann for what she wrote. ... We ended the relationship because she behaved with a total lack of professionalism, friendship, and loyalty".[14]

On August 28, 2005, Coulter's syndicated column was dropped by the Tucson newspaper Arizona Daily Star. David Stoeffler, the editor and publisher said, "We've decided that syndicated columnist Ann Coulter has worn out her welcome. Many readers find her shrill, bombastic and mean-spirited. And those are the words used by readers who identified themselves as conservatives."[15] Despite this sentiment, Editor & Publisher magazine wrote that she "hasn't lost any of her 100-plus newspaper clients, or the support of her syndicate, Universal Press Syndicate," despite the swirl of negative press that has accompanied the release of her latest and most controversial book, Godless. [23]

Coulter contracted with USA Today to cover the 2004 Democratic National Convention, but was replaced by Jonah Goldberg after an editing disagreement. She wrote one article that began, "Here at the Spawn of Satan convention in Boston...", and referred to some unspecified female attendees as "corn-fed, no make-up, natural fiber, no-bra needing, sandal-wearing, hirsute, somewhat fragrant hippie chick pie wagons." The newspaper declined to print the article, and Coulter published it instead on her website.[16]

[edit]

Political activities

In addition to her frequent media appearances and popular writings about politics and political beliefs, Coulter's political activities have ranged from considering a run for Congress to advising a plaintiff suing the president.

[edit]

The Paula Jones - Bill Clinton case

Coulter debuted as a public figure shortly before becoming an unpaid legal advisor for the attorneys representing Paula Jones in her sexual harassment suit against President Bill Clinton.

Coulter disagreed with the lead lawyer, Joseph Cammaratta, who advised Jones that her case was weak and to settle it. (Daley, 1999) From the onset, Jones had sought an apology from Clinton at least as eagerly as she sought a settlement.[17] However, Coulter said she believed the case was strong, that Jones was telling the truth, that Clinton should be held publicly accountable for his misconduct, and that a settlement would give the impression that Jones was merely interested in extorting money from the President. (Daley, 1999)

David Daley, who wrote the interview piece for the Hartford Courant recounted what followed:

Coulter played one particularly key role in keeping the Jones case alive. In Newsweek reporter Michael Isikoff's new book Uncovering Clinton: A Reporter's Story, Coulter is unmasked as the one who leaked word of Clinton's "distinguishing characteristic" — his reportedly bent penis that Jones said she could recognize and describe — to the news media. Her hope was to foster mistrust between the Clinton and Jones camps and forestall a settlement...

I thought if I leaked the distinguishing characteristic it would show bad faith in negotiations. [Clinton lawyer] Bob Bennett would think Jones had leaked it. Cammaratta would know he himself hadn't leaked it and would get mad at Bennett. It might stall negotiations enough for me to get through to [Jones adviser] Susan Carpenter-McMillan to tell her that I thought settling would hurt Paula, that this would ruin her reputation, and that there were other lawyers working for her. Then 36 hours later, she returned my phone call.

I just wanted to help Paula. I really think Paula Jones is a hero. I don't think I could have taken the abuse she came under. She's this poor little country girl and she has the most powerful man she's ever met hitting on her sexually, then denying it and smearing her as president. And she never did anything tacky. It's not like she was going on TV or trying to make a buck out of it.(1999)

Coulter also told Isikoff, "We were terrified that Jones would settle. It was contrary to our purpose of bringing down the President." [24]

The case went to court after Jones broke with Coulter and her original legal team, and was summarily dismissed. The judge ruled that even if her allegations proved true, Jones did not show that she had suffered any damages, stating "plaintiff has not demonstrated any tangible job detriment or adverse employment action for her refusal to submit to the governor's alleged advances. The president is therefore entitled to summary judgment on plaintiff's claim of quid pro quo sexual harassment", and dismissed the case. Clinton settled with Jones for $850,000 in exchange for not appealing the decision. The Jones lawsuit led to the Monica Lewinsky sex scandal. Coulter wrote a book critical of Clinton called High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton.

[edit]

Potential congressional run

In 2000, Coulter considered running for Congress from Connecticut on the Libertarian Party ticket to serve as a spoiler in order to throw the seat to the Democratic candidate and see that Republican Congressman Christopher Shays failed to gain re-election, as a punishment for Shays' voting against the impeachment of President Bill Clinton. The leadership of the Libertarian Party of Connecticut, after meeting with Coulter, declined to endorse her. As a result, her self-described "total sham, media-intensive, third-party Jesse Ventura campaign" did not take place.[18] [19]

[edit]

Allegations of improper acts

[edit]

Registration and voting

Coulter is under investigation by election officials in Florida for filing an inaccurate voter registration form in June 2005. Government documents indicate she provided her real estate agent's address instead of her own home address. On March 29, 2006, the Palm Beach Post reported that elections officials had given Coulter 30 days to explain the inaccuracy. [25]

According to one news account, poll worker Jim Whited recalled that Coulter tried to vote in the February 7, 2006, town council election at Bethesda-by-the-Sea, where she should vote based on her actual address. Although Coulter initially tried to vote in the proper location, Coulter left the precinct as soon as Whited inquired about the discrepancy in her address and voting precinct. She then cast her ballot at precinct that matched the address on her registration, which was actually the incorrect location, St. Edward's precinct. [20]

Knowingly voting in the wrong precinct in the state of Florida is a felony. [26]

[edit]

Coulter's Plagiarism

This article documents a current event.

Information may change rapidly as the event progresses.

Concern has been expressed that a "self-published" source being cited in this article is not legitimately citable as a secondary source in this article but only as a primary source in an article about the source itself, according to Wikipedia:Reliable sources and Verifiability policies. The source in dispute is: http://rawstory.com and http://rudepundit.blogspot.comThis section may contain original research or unverified claims.

Please help Wikipedia by adding references. See the talk page for details.

Coulter has been accused of several instances of plagiarism. Coulter's June 29, 2005 column titled "Thou Shall Not Commit Religion" was shown to have segments taken almost verbatim from several sources including The Flummery Digest, Jeff Jacoby's 1995 Boston Globe article, and the magazine Counterpoint.[21]

In a July 2, 2006 article in the New York Post, John Barrie, creator of the iThenticate plagiarism-recognition system said that three passages in Godless and two of her columns include material that is substantially similar to content from other sources.[22]

"Barrie told The Post that one 25-word passage from the Godless chapter titled 'The Holiest Sacrament: Abortion' appears to have been lifted nearly word for word from Planned Parenthood literature published at least 18 months before Coulter's 281-page book was released.

A separate, 24-word string from the chapter 'The Creation Myth' appeared about a year earlier in the San Francisco Chronicle with just one word change - "stacked" was changed to "piled." [27]

The Post had asked his company to put Coulter's book and the past 12 months of columns through his program. But his staffers stopped before completing the task--"we gave up after awhile, we'd seen enough," he explained. The many examples added up to "advanced plagiarism," he said, the kind of stuff that would "flunk any English student." [28]

Editor & Publisher wrote:

Universal Director of Communications Kathie Kerr, when contacted by E&P, said she called Barrie on Wednesday morning and left him a message asking him for a copy of his report. "Once we see a copy of the report, we'll be happy to comment on the findings," she added. "We take allegations of plagiarism very seriously." E&P has also left a message for Barrie, who appeared on MSNBC late Wesnesday. [29]

Still more plagiarism has been pointed out: In chapter 1 of Godless, Coulter makes reference to a $227 million hydroelectric project proposed on upper St. John River in Maine halted by the discovery of a previously believed extinct plant. [23] Her sentence is an almost direct copy of one found in an article from the Portland Press Herald.[24] In the same chapter, Coulter references an attack on the Alaskan pipeline. Her sentence is similar to one from the History Channel.[25] Neither source is given attribution by Coulter.

[edit]

Coulter courts controversy

As a self-described polemicist, Coulter often makes radical statements for the purpose of gaining attention.[6] Several journalists have pointed out instances where Coulter has done this and made allegations that she has bent the truth or omitted facts in an attempt to prove her point. The following are some examples.

[edit]

Criticism of her style

Although she is in constant demand on the US lecture circuit[26] and has had a string of best-selling books, her style grates on some in her audience, including fellow Conservatives. Arnold Beichman reviewed her book Treason in the Washington Times, writing that he "tried to read Miss Coulter's book and failed. Life is too short to read pages and pages of rant."[27]

[edit]

Factual disputes

Liberal writer Al Franken questions the factual accuracy of her books, and is critical of her use of numerous endnotes .[28] Others have investigated these charges, with equivocal results. [29] Coulter responded to these and similar criticisms in a column called "Answering my Critics."[30], where she claims all accusations of her lying are either outright wrong or really just picayune factual errors (e.g. calling "endnotes", "footnotes", or incorrectly identifying Evan Thomas' grandfather as his father.)

[edit]

Speeches at college campuses

Coulter has been the subject of several protests when speaking on college campuses.

Victim of pie throwers at the University of Arizona

On one occasion, during an appearance at University of Arizona, a pie was thrown at her, splattering her and causing an estimated $3000+ worth of damage to a "muslim [sic] scrim" stage backdrop. The two perpetrators were charged with criminal damage, and one of them later said "we were throwing pies at her ideas, not at her."[31]

Speech at the University of Connecticut

In another instance, Coulter was heckled while speaking at a crowd of 2,600 at the University of Connecticut to the point that she ended her speech early and began to take questions from the audience, remarking that "I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am." A student said of the rowdy crowd, "It really appalled me that we're not able to come together as a group and listen to a different view in a respectful environment." [32]

Remarks about Justice Stevens at Philander Smith College

Speaking at Philander Smith College in Little Rock, Arkansas, on January 26, 2006, Coulter said of United States Supreme Court Justice Stevens: "We need somebody to put rat poisoning in Justice Stevens' crème brûlée. That's just a joke, for you in the media."[33][34]

"Gay boy" comment at Indiana University

At an 2006 appearance at Indiana University, Bloomington, in a speech entitled "Liberals Are Wrong About Everything", she claimed "Liberals hate God and hate America," and that there is no hope for the Democratic party. Her speech was frequently interrupted while protestors were removed. The school's newspaper, the Indiana Daily Student, reported that during the Q&A session, a young man asked her if she didn't like Democrats, wouldn't it just be better to have a dictatorship; Coulter replied: "You don't want the Republicans in power, does that mean you want a dictatorship, gay boy?" A student leader defended her comments, saying "I think the guy could have been more respectful to her."[35]

[edit]

The 9/11 "Jersey Girls"

In her book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism, Coulter criticizes the four 9/11 widows known as the "Jersey Girls", writing that they abused their status as widows by acting as partisans to push for the 9/11 Commission, to harshly criticize the G.W. Bush administration and its security policies, and to campaign for presidential candidate John Kerry. The partisan activities of the "Jersey Girls" have been documented by other observers. [30][31] [32].

Coulter on the cover of her book Godless.In a long chapter titled "Liberal Doctrine of Infallibility: Sobbing Hysterical Women," Coulter argues that one of liberalism's proselytizing techniques is to choose "people with 'absolute moral authority' - Democrats with a dead husband, a dead child, a wife who works at the CIA, a war record, [or] a terminal illness..." as spokespersons to advance political goals. Doing so stifles a rational debate of the policy being advanced, according to Coulter, since "you can't respond to them because that would be questioning the authenticity of their suffering."

She lists a catalogue of such persons, including grieving mom and anti-war acitivst Cindy Sheehan, gun-control activist Carolyn McCarthy, paralyzed actor and embyonic stem-cell activist Christopher Reeve, disabled Vietnam veteran and anti-Iraq-war activist Max Cleland, and the four Jersey Girls, about whom she wrote: "These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis. These self-obsessed women seemed genuinely unaware that 9/11 was an attack on our nation and acted as if the terrorist attacks happened only to them. ... I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much ... the Democrat ratpack gals endorsed John Kerry for president ... cutting campaign commercials... how do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies? Now that their shelf life is dwindling, they'd better hurry up and appear in Playboy." (from Godless, pages 100-112)

Coulter's description of these women has garnered criticism, some of it invoking the memory of the women's tragically deceased husbands. The book was released on June 6, 2006, and that morning, Matt Lauer of NBC's The Today Show interviewed Coulter. He questioned the propriety of several of its statements about the four Jersey Girls, including "They believe the entire country was required to marinate in their exquisite personal agony. Apparently, denouncing Bush was part of the closure process." She defended the challenged statements and remarked that Lauer was "getting testy" with her.[36]

The next day, Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) called Coulter's charge a "vicious, mean-spirited attack", suggesting that Coulter's book should have been titled Heartless. [37] [38] Coulter later responded to Senator Clinton: "Before criticizing others for being 'mean' to women, perhaps Hillary should talk to her husband who was accused of rape by Juanita Broaddrick and was groping Kathleen Willey at the very moment Willey's husband was committing suicide."[39]

On the same day, Congressman Rahm Emanuel (D-IL) called Coulter a "hatemonger" on the floor of the House and urged his Republican colleagues to denounce her as well. Later, Tim Roemer, a member of the 9/11 Commission and a former Democratic Congressman, urged Americans not to buy Coulter's book.[40]

She has consistently defended her words and makes no apologies, even goading her critics by repeating her criticism of the Jersey Girls in subsequent columns: "If you're upset about what I said about the Witches of East Brunswick, try turning the page. Surely, I must have offended more than those four harpies." [33][34] [41]

[edit]

Remarks regarding bombing The New York Times

When asked by John Hawkins if she regretted a statement she made implying that she wished Timothy McVeigh had bombed the New York Times instead of the Federal building in Oklahoma City, Coulter replied: "Of course I regret it. I should have added, 'after everyone had left the building except the editors and reporters.'"[42] While acknowledging that "Coulter jokes about McVeigh blowing up the Times," Eric Alterman of The Nation still found the comment offensive, calling Coulter a "terrorist apologist" and an "ideological comrade" of McVeigh due to what he considers to be similar statements the two have made about the Waco and Ruby Ridge incidents. [43]

Lee Salem, the president of Universal Syndicate, which distributes Coulter's column, in a June 2006 letter to Editor & Publisher, suggested Coulter was a brilliant satirist who does not mean it when she periodically wishes violence or even death on liberals and other "traitors."

E&P both denied and affirmed Salem's point of view. They (1) interpreted Coulter's interview with a New York weekly as "[refuting] the notion that she is only joking and (2) quoted her as calling her remarks "great humor". [44] Later the subject again came up when she appeared on Fox News' Hannity & Colmes. Allan Colmes mentioned Salem's claim, and asked her if she wanted to take back the earlier statement that Timothy McVeigh should have bombed The New York Times office, especially if reporters were inside.

"No, I think the Timothy McVeigh line was merely prescient after The New York Times has leapt beyond -- beyond nonsense straight into treason, last week," Coulter replied.[45] Coulter was referring to a Times report that revealed classified information about anti-terrorism surveillance of private financial transactions by the U.S. government.

[edit]

Coulter on domestic separatists

Coulter has frequently criticized the government's handling of radical separatists. She described members of the Branch Davidians as "harmless American citizens" despite their use of violence and [46] after the bulk of the group was immolated in an FBI raid. Likewise, she berates what she calls the "unprovoked government assault" and "murder" at Ruby Ridge.[47]

[edit]

Coulter on Arabs and Muslims

Coulter has made controversial comments about Arabs and Muslims.

In an article written a day after the September 11, 2001 attacks (in which her friend Barbara Olson was killed), she wrote, "Airports scrupulously apply the same laughably ineffective airport harassment to Suzy Chapstick as to Muslim hijackers. It is preposterous to assume every passenger is a potential crazed homicidal maniac. We know who the homicidal maniacs are. They are the ones cheering and dancing right now. We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war."[48]

Coulter wrote in her column that she had reviewed the civil rights lawsuits against certain airlines to determine which airlines had subjected Arabs to the most "egregious discrimination" so that she could fly only that airline. She also said that the airline should be bragging instead of denying any of the charges of discrimination brought against them.[49]

In describing the ability of reporters to get passes to White House press conferences, Coulter speculated that they must be easy to acquire since the "White House allows that old Arab Helen Thomas to sit within yards of the president." Helen Thomas is a White House reporter of Syrian ancestry.[50]

Coulter has referred to the Middle East as a "swamp"[51] in reference to the metaphor "Drain the Swamp" and advocated racial profiling on airliners.[52][53] Later, in an interview with the British Guardian newspaper, Coulter quipped: "I think airlines ought to start advertising: 'We have the most civil rights lawsuits brought against us by Arabs.'" When asked what Muslims should do for travel, she responded that they "could use flying carpets."[54]

On February 10, 2006, at the Conservative Political Action Conference she said, "I think our motto should be, post-9-11: raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences." [35] [36] Her comments brought criticism from both college student bloggers and fellow conservatives who attended the conference. [55]

Coulter has described Muslims as "camel jockey", "jihad monkey", and "tent merchant", and joked about the offensiveness of these remarks.[56]

She wrote in her column, in response to the riots stemming from the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy: "The amazing part of the great Danish cartoon caper isn't that Muslims immediately engage in acts of mob violence when things don't go their way. That is de rigueur for the Religion of Peace. Their immediate response to all bad news is mass violence. That's a "dog bites man" story and belongs on page B-34, next to the grade school hot lunch menu and the birth notices. After an Egyptian ferry capsized recently, killing hundreds of passengers, a whole braying mob of passengers' relatives staged an organized attack on the company, throwing furniture out the window and burning the building to the ground. Witnesses say it was the most violent ocean liner-related incident since Carnival Cruise Lines fired Kathie Lee Gifford. The 'offense to Islam' ruse is merely an excuse for Muslims to revert to their default mode: rioting and setting things on fire."[56]

[edit]

Coulter on women

"I think the other point that no one is making about the [Abu Ghraib] abuse photos is just the disproportionate number of women involved, including a girl general running the entire operation. I mean, this is lesson, you know, number 1,000,047 on why women shouldn't be in the military. In addition to not being able to carry even a medium-sized backpack, women are too vicious." - appearing on Hannity & Colmes, 5 May, 2004

"Conservatives have a problem with women. For that matter, all men do." – Cornell Review, 1984, as reported in Time, April 2005

"I think [women] should be armed but should not vote...women have no capacity to understand how money is earned. They have a lot of ideas on how to spend it...it's always more money on education, more money on child care, more money on day care." - appearing on the comedy show Politically Incorrect, February 26, 2001

"Like the Democrats, Playboy just wants to liberate women to behave like pigs, have sex without consequences, prance about naked, and abort children." - How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must), 2004

[edit]

Confederate flag

Coulter sparked more controversy[57] with comments supporting the Confederate flag using an analogy with a kente cloth and slavery:

And why does native African kente cloth get a free pass [from liberals]? It is a historical fact that American slaves were purchased from their slave masters in Africa, where slavery exists in some parts to this day. Indeed, slavery is the only African institution America has ever adopted. But while some Americans express pride in their slave-trading ancestors by calling themselves "African-Americans" and donning African garb, pride in Confederate ancestors is deemed a hate crime.[58]

[edit]

Trivia

Coulter is a fan of the rock band Grateful Dead, and appeared on VH1's series My Coolest Years to discuss her years as a Deadhead. In a 2006 interview about her fondness for the band she discusses, among other things, smearing herself with purple Crisco before a show.[37]

[edit]

Notes and references

Notes

^ [1]

^ Calendar of Events, Young America's Foundation, retrieved June 29, 2006.

^ Cloud, John. "Ms. Right". Time. April 25, 2005: "Ann Hart Coulter was born in New York City on Dec. 8, 1961"

^ An appalling magic, The Guardian, May 17, 2003, retrieved June 29, 2006.

^ Florida officials investigate why Coulter voted in the wrong precinct, New York Daily News, June 8, 2006, retrieved June 29, 2006.

^ a b Daniel Aloi. "Conservative pundit Ann Coulter '84 to speak May 7", Cornell University Chronicle Online, April 17, 2006.

^ Noteworthy Delta Gammas, March 10, 2006, retrieved June 29, 2006.

^ Premierespeakers.com — Coulter's Profile

^ SourceWatch. "National Journalism Center"

^ Max Blumenthal. "'Godless' author Coulter unknown at church she claims to attend". June 8, 2006.

^ The passion of the liberal, townhall.com, March 4, 2004

^ (MSNBC's NewsChat, October 11, 1997)

^ "Exclusive! Ann Coulter on her Time Cover", Fox News Channel, April 20, 2005. "My feet are the size of the Atlantic Ocean, and my head is the size of a tiny little ant."

^ Jonah Goldberg, "L’Affaire Coulter", National Review Online, October 3, 2001

^ Stoeffler, David, "Opinion pages get a makeover", Arizona Daily Star, 2005-08-28.

^ "USA Today Drops Ann Coulter", CBS News, July 26, 2004.

^ Barak, Daphne. Jones would have been happy with an apology. Irish Examiner. September 23, 1998.

^ [2]

^ Harrybrowne.org

^ [3] [4] [5]

^ Coulter caught cribbing from conservative magazines by John Byrne at rawstory.com

^ Recchia, Phillip, "Copycatty Coulter Pilfers Prose: Pro", New York Post, NYP Holdings, July 2, 2006. (written in English)

^ The Rude Pundit June 9, 2006

^ "Maine stories of the century: The results" #38

^ OIL FLOWS IN ALASKA: June 20, 1977

^ Guardian.co.uk

^ Arnold Beichman, "McCarthyism up close", Washington Times, August 2, 2003.

^ Franken, Al (2003). Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right. Dutton Books. ISBN 0525947647.

^ Michael Scherer and Sarah Secules. Books: How Slippery Is Slander?. 2002.

^ Ann Coulter, "Answering my critics", Jewish World Review, October 9, 2003.

^ ""Al Pieda" Targets Ann Coulter", The Smoking Gun, 2004-10-22, pp. 3. Retrieved on 2006-07-04.

^ Shelly K. Wong, "[6]", AP, December 7, 2005.

^ Coulter Jokes About Poisoning Supreme Court Justice, Associated Press, January 27, 2006

^ Al Franken. "An Evening with Ann Coulter", Midwest Values PAC, April 4, 2006.

^ Adam Aasen, "Ann Coulter splits IU's crowd", Indiana Daily Student, February 24, 2006.

^ Editor & Publisher. Ann Coulter Attacks 9/11 Widows. June 06, 2006.

^ "Clinton slams Coulter's 'vicious' put-down of some 9/11 widows", CNN, June 7, 2006.

^ Selim Algar. "Give-'em-hill Fury vs. Coulter", The New York Post.

^ Selim Algar. "Give-'em-hill Fury vs. Coulter", The New York Post.

^ Video of Rahm Emanuel criticizing Ann Coulter on the Floor of the House of Representatives from Crooks and Liars

^ Editor & Publisher. Ann Coulter Attacks 9/11 Widows. June 06, 2006.

^ Hawkins, John. An Interview With Ann Coulter. Accessed June 3, 2006.

^ Eric Alterman. Devil in a Blue Dress. The Nation. September 5, 2002.

^ "Coulter Affirms Prevous Statement About Bombing 'NYT' Office." 30 June 2006. "This is great humor," Colmes replied, sarcastically. "This belongs on Saturday Night Live. It belongs on The Daily Show. " Editor & Publisher[7]

^ "Ann Coulter: Still Bomb N.Y. Times." 1 July 2006. Newsmax.[8]

^ Ann Coulter, "An Honest Reporter on Bush", uExpress, March 13, 2002.

^ Ann Coulter, Would Mohamed Atta Object to Armed Pilots?", uExpress, May 29, 2002.

^ Ann Coulter, "This Is War", anncoulter.com, September 12, 2001.

^ Ann Coulter, "Arab hijackers now eligible for pre-boarding", townhall.com, April 29, 2004.

^ Ann Coulter, "Republicans, Bloggers and Gays, Oh My!", anncoulter.com, February 23, 2005.

^ Hardball with Chris Matthews. Transcript via oreilly-sucks.com. June 30, 2003. Accessed June 3, 2006.

^ Ann Coulter, "Mineta's Bataan Death March", Jewish World Review, February 28, 2002

^ Adam Wild Aba, "Arab Americans Criticize "Racist" Writer's Remarks", islamonline.net, May 19, 2006.

^ "An appalling magic", The Guardian Online, May 17, 2003

^ http://www.cnsnews.com/news/viewstory.asp?...L20060213b.html

^ a b Ann Coulter. Muslim Bites Dog. 15 February 2006.

^ "Ann Coulter at Cornell" by David Horowitz

^ Coulter, Ann - How to Talk to a Liberal (if you must)

References

Bowman, David (July 25, 2003). "Ann Coulter, woman". Salon.com [registration or advertising video required].

Cloud, John (April 25, 2005). "Ms. Right". Time [registration required].

Coulter, Ann (October 30, 2000). "Clinton sure can pick 'em". Jewish World Review.

Coulter, Ann (July 18, 2002). "Call her Mrs." Jewish World Review.

Coulter, Ann (July 18, 2002). Donahue transcript July 18. Interview with Phil Donahue. Free Republic. posted by Pistolshot, July 19, 2002.

Coulter, Ann (August 11, 2002). Slander Interview with Brian Lamb. C-Span. Booknotes. Reprinted at Booknotes.org.

Coulter, Ann (August 26, 2002). Coultergeist. Interview with George Gurley. New York Observer.

Coulter, Ann (January 12, 2004). Frontpage interview. Interview with Jamie Glazov. FrontPageMag.com.

Coulter, Ann (July 26, 2004). "Put the speakers in a cage". AnnCoulter.com.

Memmot, Mark (July 26, 2004). "Coulter column canceled after editing dispute". USAToday.com. Updated July 27, 2004.

West, Nigel (2000). Venona: The Greatest Secret of the Cold War. London: HarperCollins. ISBN 0006530710.

Lambiet, Jose (March 29, 2006). "Elections officials to query GOP pundit". PalmBeachPost.com Retrieved April 11, 2006. (No longer accessible.)

De Pasquale, Lisa (June 6, 2006) "Exclusive interview: Coulter says book examines 'mental disorder' of liberalism". Human Events Online.

[edit]

External links

Ann Coulter's official website

Biography and quotes

Coulter profiled, NNDB

Ann Coulter at the Internet Movie Database

Rightwing News quotes Coulter's Treason.

Center for Media and Democracy — Critical Biography

Is it true what they say about Ann? — 40-minute documentary shown at conservative film festivals. DVD includes interviews, speeches and photo album.

Wisdom of Ann Coulter using controversial quotes

Report of dispute over Coulter's age.

Book reviews and criticism

"Liberally Lying about Liberals" (September 9, 2002)

"Tailgunner Ann" by William F. Buckley, Jr.

"The Trouble with Treason" by David Horowitz in FrontPageMagazine.com

"Screed: With Treason, Ann Coulter once again defines a new low in America's political debate" (June 30, 2003).

Critical articles by Media Matters for America

Know Your Right-Wing Speakers: Ann Coulter

"Devil in a Blue Dress" by Eric Alterman (September 5, 2002) in The Nation

Fact-checking Ann Coulter

Coulter Watch — website containing allegations that Coulter plagiarised others' work

Archived articles critical of Coulter

Coulter's syndicated columns

Columns (2000-2001) for National Review Online

Ann Coulter on Evolution, a site on evolutionary science reviews Coulter's sources and writing

Interviews

Interview with Katie Couric. NBC. The Today Show (June 26, 2002)

Slander Interview with Brian Lamb. C-Span. (August 11, 2002)

An Appalling Magic (May 17, 2003 interview in The Guardian)

Treason Reprint of interview from MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews (June 30, 2003)

"The Fifth Estate: Sticks and Stones", interview with CBC's Bob McKeown.

Coulter on The Today Show: Attacks 9/11 Widows - Transcript and video of The Today Show interview with Matt Lauer.

Lethally Blond, interview by Gaby Wood. The (London) Observer (June 11, 2006)

News features

"I love to pick fights with liberals" by Toby Harnden The Telegraph (July 19, 2002)

"Ann Coulter and the Title Fight" by Richard Leiby Washington Post (March 2, 2005)

"Viewpoint: Why Ann Coulter matters" by John Cloud Time (June 9, 2006)

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter"

Sorry for the length but I didn't want to leave anything out. :D

As for one good thing from Bill Clinton: For starters, he and Bush Sr. have united to raise a lot more money for tsunami & Katrina relief than Ann has.

Isnt it a little easier to raise money as a former US president than an Author?

245778[/snapback]

Sounds liek the dems are giving her credit for being as important as a former president. Guess she has them skeert.

1. She annoys the Left

2. She stands up to the Left wing slant in the media.

1. She annoys the Left

2. She stands up to the Left wing slant in the media.

245810[/snapback]

This would be a good example of both.

"When is The New York Times going to get around to uncovering an al-Qaida secret program?" — Ann Coulter

In your own words, please. Your personal opinion concerning her positive  contributions to this society.

245800[/snapback]

Reading is FUNdamental:

Ann Coulter is an accomplished author, political commentator and one of the finest satirists of our time. -- AUloggerhead

If you don't understand satire, then you won't understand Coulter. Simple as that.

... Coulter on the cover of her book Godless.In a long chapter titled "Liberal Doctrine of Infallibility: Sobbing Hysterical Women," Coulter argues that one of liberalism's proselytizing techniques is to choose "people with 'absolute moral authority' - Democrats with a dead husband, a dead child, a wife who works at the CIA, a war record, [or] a terminal illness..." as spokespersons to advance political goals. Doing so stifles a rational debate of the policy being advanced, according to Coulter, since "you can't respond to them because that would be questioning the authenticity of their suffering."

She lists a catalogue of such persons, including grieving mom and anti-war acitivst Cindy Sheehan, gun-control activist Carolyn McCarthy, paralyzed actor and embyonic stem-cell activist Christopher Reeve, disabled Vietnam veteran and anti-Iraq-war activist Max Cleland, and the four Jersey Girls, about whom she wrote: "These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis. These self-obsessed women seemed genuinely unaware that 9/11 was an attack on our nation and acted as if the terrorist attacks happened only to them. ... I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much ... the Democrat ratpack gals endorsed John Kerry for president ... cutting campaign commercials... how do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies? Now that their shelf life is dwindling, they'd better hurry up and appear in Playboy." (from Godless, pages 100-112)

Coulter's description of these women has garnered criticism, some of it invoking the memory of the women's tragically deceased husbands. The book was released on June 6, 2006, and that morning, Matt Lauer of NBC's The Today Show interviewed Coulter. He questioned the propriety of several of its statements about the four Jersey Girls, including "They believe the entire country was required to marinate in their exquisite personal agony. Apparently, denouncing Bush was part of the closure process." She defended the challenged statements and remarked that Lauer was "getting testy" with her.[36]

She is absolutely right about the Democrat's tactics, among many other topics. Using Christopher Reeve to address the Democratic National Convention back in, ... whenever it was, is a perfect example. Coulter has the guts to call them on it and, of course, the left's immediate response is to denounce her as mean-spirited & heartless. A convenient way to argue, isn't it? Ignore her point, just mass denounce her and pretend she's not speaking the truth and therefore anything she has to say is not valid. The political left is the most intolerant of any group out there -- they simply cannot stand someone who is unapologetic about being politically incorrect.

245778[/snapback]

I was just responding to the question of naming one positive contribution Clinton had made, and I named one: disaster relief. He has made a contribution.

I should not have implied Ann hasn't raised money for causes, if I gave that impression. I don't know what or how much she's done, so I shouldn't imply any judgement.

simply put, she exposes the libbies for what the really are. She is also alot easier to look at then Hannity or Rush. :D

Clinton will be remembered far more favorably by history and the public than the current occupant of the WH who will be remembered as one of the worst, most incompetent Presidents in history. Clinton is also the last President in history who will ever balance a budget. It was about 35 years in coming, and it isn't likely again.

You guys who find Ann Coulter attractive :puke: are very twisted dudes who must really like drag queen shows-- which apparently includes Jenny.

Anyone who likes Ann Coulter must be a very deeply disturbed and hate-filled person.

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."

-- Ann Coulter to George Gurley, New York Observer, August 21, 2002

"When contemplating college liberals, you really regret once again that John Walker is not getting the death penalty.We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed too. Otherwise they will turn out to be outright traitors."

-- Ann Coulter, CPAC convention, February 2002

"God gave us the earth. We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, 'Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it! It's yours.'"

-- Ann Coulter, Hannity & Colmes,June 20, 2001

"The thing I like about Bush is I think he hates liberals."

-- Ann Coulter, Washington Post, August 1, 2000

"Let's say I go out every night, I meet a guy and have sex with him. Good for me. I'm not married."

-- Ann Coulter, Rivera Live, June 7, 2000

"If you don't hate Clinton and the people who labored to keep him in office, you don't love your country."

-- Ann Coulter, George, July 1999

"I think there should be a literacy test and a poll tax for people to vote."

-- Ann Coulter, Hannity & Colmes, August 17, 1997

"My libertarian friends are probably getting a little upset now but I think that's because they never appreciate the benefits of local fascism."

-- Ann Coulter, MSNBC, February 8, 1997

Did any of you find it somewhat strange that when her latest book "Godless The Church of Liberalism", came out the dems bent ballistic over what she had to say about the NY widows. She called them Godless and all they could do was whine about the Jersey girls. Why wouldn't the name of the book "Godless The Church of Liberalism" and it's implications bother them?

Did any of you find it somewhat strange that when her latest book "Godless The Church of Liberalism", came out the dems bent ballistic over what she had to say about the NY widows.  She called them Godless and all they could do was whine about the Jersey girls.  Why wouldn't the name of the book "Godless The Church of Liberalism" and it's implications bother them?

245865[/snapback]

I saw "Godless" and assumed it was autobiographical. Her comments on the 9/11 widows did aptly illustrate how hate-filled and Godless Coulter was, though, so little else needed to be said.

I saw "Godless" and assumed it was autobiographical.  Her comments on the 9/11 widows did aptly illustrate how hate-filled and Godless Coulter was, though, so little else needed to be said.

245867[/snapback]

It really is a pity (for you) that you don't read her books or columns. Instead of assuming you know everything, why not try to understand what she has to say? The Witches of New Brunswick lines were merely one part of an bigger point she was arguing -- that is, the liberal agenda is advanced by using victims (Sheehan, Reeves, the 9/11 widows, etc.) as spokespersons so that any disagreement to their cause can be thrown back in to the dissenters faces for being "hate-filled & mean-spirited." She's right about that. It's true. You even fell for it. You called her Godless when in fact she is very up front about her Christian faith:

Religious views

Coulter openly professes her Christian religious beliefs. At one public lecture she proclaimed her faith in Jesus Christ, saying: "I don't care about anything else: Christ died for my sins and nothing else matters." [12] [13] Time magazine's John Cloud reported that he attended a service at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City with Coulter, where she worships and often brings guests. [10]

When asked during an interview about the morality of non-marital sex, she replied: "Christians are the most tolerant people in the world—because we know there's original sin. We know people do bad things. But it seems to me it's a much worse thing to go around saying that it isn't a sin to commit a sin. I mean—at least feel guilty about it." [14]

She has stated that her Christian faith "fuels everything" [15] she writes, and that it particularly fuels her book Godless. In that book, Coulter says in a footnote, "Throughout this book, I often refer to Christians and Christianity because I am a Christian and I have a fairly good idea of what they believe, but the term is intended to include anyone who subscribes to the Bible of the God of Abraham, including Jews and others." Coulter has stated: "Although my Christianity is somewhat more explicit in this book (Godless), Christianity fuels everything I write. Being a Christian means that I am called upon to do battle against lies, injustice, cruelty, hypocrisy—you know, all the virtues in the church of liberalism." [16]

In a commentary on Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ" she wrote: "Being nice to people is, in fact, one of the incidental tenets of Christianity (as opposed to other religions whose tenets are more along the lines of 'kill everyone who doesn't smell bad and doesn't answer to the name Mohammed')."[11]

Coulter also quotes Christian scripture in her work. Godless begins with: "They exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creation rather than the creator.... Therefore, God gave them up to passions of dishonor, for their females exchanged the natural use for that which is contrary to nature. — Romans 1:25-26", and each chapter of the book begins with a quote from Christian scriptures.

I bought her book a few days ago and haven't finished reading it. I have to tell you about the Borders store where I bought it, though. Coulter's book has been on the best seller list since its debut. You'd think it would be prominently & proudly displayed so that the store could sell as many copies as it could, right? Nope. I walk into the store looking for it on display. There is a display case right in front of the doors displaying some book I can't remember which. All the other new hardback books are all laid out on the first table closest to the front door when you enter the store. I walk all around but Coulter's book is nowhere on the table. I'm starting to wonder what the hey is going on and am about to ask the nearest nose-ringed-tattoed-Goth sales help for it when I spot all the copies -- they are tucked into the back of the display case! In other words, as soon as you enter through the front door, it is impossible to spot this best seller. Can you believe it? Liberals are so funny! :roflol:

You even fell for it.  You called her Godless when in fact she is very up front about her Christian faith: 

Religious views

Coulter openly professes her Christian religious beliefs. At one public lecture she proclaimed her faith in Jesus Christ, saying: "I don't care about anything else: Christ died for my sins and nothing else matters."

That's all nice and good on the surface, but does she have God inside her? That's anyone's guess. Many people claim to be Christian, and will be the first to bust open the gates of hades. It's called deception, and satan uses it to fool people into thinking they are save and when they are NOT.

The parable of the ten virgins is a good example of the presence of the Holy Spirit in the believers heart, and when the Bridegroom comes, those who have the Holy Spirit inside, go with the Holy Spirit. It's like a dragnet. Or, another example would be nonferrous metals, containing no iron, would represent those without the Holy Spirit and ferrous are those with the Holy Spirit (ferrous meaning contains iron). When the magnet, or Bridegroom comes, it would only attract with those the Holy Spirit or iron within them (representative of the Holy Spirit), the others would be left behind.

I used to read Ann Coulter's newspaper columns until I realized that she was serious about the things she said in them. Then I realized that she was a white Louis Farrakan so I decided that no good could come from reading her.

Ann is a part of a growing contingent of writers and journalists who have realized that big money can be made by tearing this country apart. The technique is very easy. You just make the most over the top statements designed create the most uproar and garner the most attention thereby making the most money. There is a long and growing list of these people who pander to extreme Republicans and Democrats.

The thing is, we have been the greatest country in the history of the world for the last 230 years. If we remain the greatest country, it will be because we rose above those that would profiteer from tearing us apart.

Kruschev(sp?) once said that the US would destroy itself from within, if it happens, it will be because of people like this (on the left or right)who are in the business of separating us.

I saw "Godless" and assumed it was autobiographical.  Her comments on the 9/11 widows did aptly illustrate how hate-filled and Godless Coulter was, though, so little else needed to be said.

245867[/snapback]

It really is a pity (for you) that you don't read her books or columns. Instead of assuming you know everything, why not try to understand what she has to say? The Witches of New Brunswick lines were merely one part of an bigger point she was arguing -- that is, the liberal agenda is advanced by using victims (Sheehan, Reeves, the 9/11 widows, etc.) as spokespersons so that any disagreement to their cause can be thrown back in to the dissenters faces for being "hate-filled & mean-spirited." She's right about that. It's true. You even fell for it. You called her Godless when in fact she is very up front about her Christian faith:

Religious views

I bought her book a few days ago and haven't finished reading it. I have to tell you about the Borders store where I bought it, though. Coulter's book has been on the best seller list since its debut. You'd think it would be prominently & proudly displayed so that the store could sell as many copies as it could, right? Nope. I walk into the store looking for it on display. There is a display case right in front of the doors displaying some book I can't remember which. All the other new hardback books are all laid out on the first table closest to the front door when you enter the store. I walk all around but Coulter's book is nowhere on the table. I'm starting to wonder what the hey is going on and am about to ask the nearest nose-ringed-tattoed-Goth sales help for it when I spot all the copies -- they are tucked into the back of the display case! In other words, as soon as you enter through the front door, it is impossible to spot this best seller. Can you believe it? Liberals are so funny! :roflol:

245881[/snapback]

Many people profess their faith. Especially if it helps them sell their product or their agenda. She knows the base and what they want to hear. The fact is, she routinely spews hate, the scriptue ain't "God is hate."

If you take this at face value:

She has stated that her Christian faith "fuels everything" [15] she writes

Then I'm not sure what you think of these gems:

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."

-- Ann Coulter to George Gurley, New York Observer, August 21, 2002

"When contemplating college liberals, you really regret once again that John Walker is not getting the death penalty.We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed too. Otherwise they will turn out to be outright traitors."

-- Ann Coulter, CPAC convention, February 2002

"God gave us the earth. We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, 'Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it! It's yours.'"

-- Ann Coulter, Hannity & Colmes,June 20, 2001

"The thing I like about Bush is I think he hates liberals."

-- Ann Coulter, Washington Post, August 1, 2000

"Let's say I go out every night, I meet a guy and have sex with him. Good for me. I'm not married."

"If you don't hate Clinton and the people who labored to keep him in office, you don't love your country."

-- Ann Coulter, George, July 1999

You provide this as proof of ...something:

When asked during an interview about the morality of non-marital sex, she replied: "Christians are the most tolerant people in the world—because we know there's original sin. We know people do bad things. But it seems to me it's a much worse thing to go around saying that it isn't a sin to commit a sin. I mean—at least feel guilty about it."

Guilty? Or "good for me?"

I have read some of columns and I have seen her on numerous shows. In regard to the widows you crassly and classlessly refer to as the "Witches of New Brunswick" as instructed by Coulter, when have they ever said their positions can't be questioned? I've never heard that. But if Coulter wants to challenge the substance of their positions, then do so, substantively and methodically. I don't know anyone who thinks they can't be questioned. What, in particular, have they said or done that you take issue with? Do you think there should not have been an investigation into 9/11 as they insisted? Is that your beef? If not, what? If you, or even Coulter, wants to make a calm, rational case against their positions, I'll listen.

If you object to someone's substance and make a substantive, rational argument, then substantive rational people will listen. Instead, if you make baseless, mean-spirited, hate-filled remarks such as:

"And by the way, how do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies? Now that their shelf life is dwindling, they'd better hurry up and appear in Playboy."  and

I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much.”

then it is unlikely that substantive, rational people will listen to you. But it will help you sell you books to other mean-spirited, hate-filled, irrational people who will then go on to actively defend your utter lack of class and even your claim to be such a good Christian. Which ultimately seems to be Coulter's agenda.

I used to read Ann Coulter's newspaper columns until I realized that she was serious about the things she said in them. Then I realized that she was a white Louis Farrakan so I decided that no good could come from reading her.

Ann is a part of a growing contingent of writers and journalists who have realized that big money can be made by tearing this country apart. The technique is very easy. You just make the most over the top statements designed create the most uproar and garner the most attention thereby making the most money. There is a long and growing list of these people who pander to extreme Republicans and Democrats.

The thing is, we have been the greatest country in the history of the world for the last 230 years. If we remain the greatest country, it will be because we rose above those that would profiteer from tearing us apart.

Kruschev(sp?) once said that the US would destroy itself from within, if it happens, it will be because of people like this (on the left or right)who are in the business of separating us.

245904[/snapback]

YOU ARE CORRECT.

These days we have RatherGate, Jason Blair, etc. We have the total factless, or fact check-less, print media.

Coulter is a bomb thrower. A very sexy, very witty, very intelligent bomb thrower. She is one of the few I would call if asked to host a national debate. The talking head shows. She could take on James Carville and blast his ambush tactics.

Ex. Carville will get on a talkinghead show. He will speak his points uninterrupted. When his opponenet starts to speak, JC will immediately start to talk all over his points. JC will never allow anyone a free debate. Hell, this forum comes from my total disgust from watching Serpenthead never allow any debate past his talking points. Coulter would attack JC right off the bat and do it looking like a very sexy, very witty, very intelligent, bomb thrower to JC's "only Mary Matalin and his Mom could love that mug." She is the Anti-Carville, Anti-Begala, Anti-Lanny Davis.

Michelle Malkin now is making huge waves in the media, Shelby Steele, etc.

Archived