Some things to remember

KunzelTiger

I seem to remember Ben Obomanu graduating in 3 years with a finance degree and continuing onto MBA school....

http://www.postherald.com/ti081605.shtml

We had nine graduates last year including Cole Bennett, Karibi Dede, Ben Grubbs, Tre Smith and Carl Stewart.

Smith is going onto graduate school...

Stewart graduated Cum Laude from Political Science in 7 semesters.

Karibi Dede graduated with a degree in rehabilitation and special education....

This link will make you proud

Ben Grubbs graduated with a degree in Public Administration and Business Administration

Cole Bennett is working towards a Masters in MIS...

Seems to me there is more to be proud of with our football players and academics than NYT is giving us credit for...

Funny how non of that was mentioned in the trash they spew though isn't it?

Dear Mr. Thamel,

I am a current Junior at Auburn University and I major in Wireless Network Engineering. I really appreciated your piece on Auburn’s football players because honestly I do not appreciate the easy pass many of our football players get. I do feel that if you were going to point out Dr. Petee’s independent study classes you should have mentioned that only 18 football players took his class. He was teaching over 150 a year!

Essentially that’s 10% football players and 90% regular students getting a free pass at a sociology class. Granted a sociology degree really means nothing in the job market and really only allows you to go onto graduate school. I think that in any school there are certain degrees that students take only so they can get a degree and put little thought into their post-college life. Some of these degrees are much easier than other degrees at virtually any university in the United States including marketing, political science and sociology. The real story is the dilution of a college education with soft majors in every school in America.

Now, in defense of my school and my Auburn Tigers I would like to bring to your attention four great examples of major players from last year’s squad that are not only great students but upstanding members of society.

The first example is Ben Obomanu. Ben, a 1000-yard career receiver, not only excelled on the field but also in the classroom. He describes himself as a book-worm, graduated in three years with a degree in Finance, and had a 3.5 GPA. In his senior year he earned a Masters in Business Administration degree. Most seniors, such as USC’s Matt Leinart, resort to taking a simple class like ballroom dancing to maintain NCAA eligibility. Obomanu was a Parade All-American, a five star prospect and a four year starter for the Auburn Tigers.

Carl Stewart, back up running back for Auburn, graduated after seven semesters with a degree in political science. The special part of that achievement is that he graduated “cum laude.” Regardless of the major graduating “cum laude” is a great achievement.

The next example is Auburn running back Tre Smith. Tre graduated this year with a degree in Business Administration and Management of Information Systems. He plans on continuing to graduate school. Although Smith won’t be starting at running back this fall he looks at this as an opportunity to have fun and continue his education. Smith also is a role model off the field. Smith was quoted in the Montgomery Advertiser as saying, "That's one of the main reasons I play football. When a little kid wants my autograph, that makes my day, I smile every time. I'm that guy.” Smith is best known for his 126-yard performance against Alabama in 2001.

Finally, my favorite story is Auburn Linebacker Karibi Dede. Dede who is known on the field for his forced fumble against Georgia this season, is also known off the field to a classroom of children suffering from Autism. Dede graduated this year with a degree in rehabilitation and special education and has spent the summer with autistics in an Auburn elementary school. I don’t think I would give either the article or Dede justice by describing the article, so I would highly recommend you read this from the Decatur Daily.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/s...0706/kids.shtml

I just feel that your piece had the wrong target and attempted to punish the wrong people. The criminals reported are not the young men trying to balance the Student and the Athlete parts of Student Athlete. The criminal is not Dr. Petee who is simply regarded as someone who will go out of his way to help and tried his hardest to allow sociology majors concentrate on learning through Independent Studies. I’m not sure who the criminal is; I’m not even sure there is one. Your article brought up some very old cases from long forgotten eras of college football. The mention of Brent Fullwood’s illiteracy was unnecessary as was the mention of Eric Ramsey and Auburn’s early ‘90’s probation. What should have been included are stories of current players upholding the beliefs of Auburn’s Creed and make me proud to cheer on my Auburn Tigers!

Thank you so much,

Andrew Kunzel

Auburn Junior

P.S. I would really like a response to my statements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Mr. Thamel, the author of the slam piece knows these facts. I really hope to see these in the NYT in the future....yeah...right

Brilliant Post Kunzel, and right on the money! Problem is, that stuff doesn't attract readers or radio listeners. What does that say about our priorities?

Smith is best known for his 126-yard performance against Alabama in 2001.

Might wanna change that date, It was the 2002 Iron Bowl. Either way, I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with your post.

I'm sure you could attract a reader with the Dede/Autism story...Liberal Yankees would love to read about the good a college football player is doing for the community.

(Yeah, I tried to do my research but fell flat on my face on the Tre Smith Iron Bowl...luckily he doesn't know when it was so shhhhhhh)

I'm sure you could attract a reader with the Dede/Autism story...Liberal Yankees would love to read about the good a college football player is doing for the community.

(Yeah, I tried to do my research but fell flat on my face on the Tre Smith Iron Bowl...luckily he doesn't know when it was so shhhhhhh)

247972[/snapback]

You're right about that. However, the feel good stuff doesn't seem to pack 'em in these days like some Jerry Springer dirt does :puke:

How much help would anyone need in a sociology class?

Now Mr. Thamel, the author of the slam piece knows these facts. I really hope to see these in the NYT in the future....yeah...right

247968[/snapback]

Let's get this straight, the NYT does not do apology's nor do they splash corrections nearly as prominently as they do trash pieces.

BTW - How sure is anyone that a NYT reporter has been to Auburn? Doesn't their reporters do their writing from the bar across the street? :)

Oh yeah, good job KunzelTiger!!!

The NYT has had a problem with accuracy recently and this is just another one to add their list. I also wonder if Dan Rather may be working for them in their research department now. I can't wait until this issue is officially cleared and I get to see all the people associated with this article eat alot of crow. I would hope the writer would lose their job, but the NYT has already shown that inaccuracy and even plagirism is not a big deal to them.

PF, the NYT, et al do not allow good pieces in print.

It would void their total commitment to Springerisms.

Great letter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! War damn Eagle!

Speaking to AU Adm type this evening, epect some of the grad players to start to fire back soon. I dont know how many, but you will hear from a few.

Archived