SEC coaches don't think much of Tide's talent

quietfan

Its called playing a cupcake OOC schedule. That is the only reason the Bammers won 10 games last year.

Ive already disproven that myth. You got anything else?

And rolltoomer, i dont think Alabama was better last year than AU. AU beat us on the field, and thats all that matters.

I do, however, think Shula deserves a little credit for going 10-2 in the SEC, getting a cotton bowl win, finishing in the top 10, and beating UT and UF in the same season.

I mean geez...we lost 2 games last year...one on the road in AU...and one in overtime to LSU.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All scaBinsky is doing is attempting to sell papers. Play to the uat "fanbase" and it will work every single time. :cheer:

Facts are facts, but, let's not let 'em get in the way of a good story. :big:

p.s. I wish flipper a VERY long "career" @ west vance! :thumbsup:

you cant say he sucks when he loses those, but is lucky when he actually wins a few close ones. Cant have it both ways.

I think you're giving too much credit to the coaches and not enough to the personnel. The difference was a very good, experienced D, a veteran QB (who didn't get hurt this time), and a kicker who came through in the clutch. You see it time and time again in college football: the more experienced team, more often than not, wins out in close games because they've been there before and can keep their heads about them. Sometimes the ball bounces your way, and when you have experience on your side, even more so. (See Ohio State '02)

Its called playing a cupcake OOC schedule. That is the only reason the Bammers won 10 games last year.

Ive already disproven that myth. You got anything else?

And rolltoomer, i dont think Alabama was better last year than AU. AU beat us on the field, and thats all that matters.

I do, however, think Shula deserves a little credit for going 10-2 in the SEC, getting a cotton bowl win, finishing in the top 10, and beating UT and UF in the same season.

I mean geez...we lost 2 games last year...one on the road in AU...and one in overtime to LSU.

251296[/snapback]

I'll give you credit for the season. Going 10-2 in the SEC is always a big accomplishment...

But you probably shouldn't list U-Thug as one of the bigger games last season... especially after the incredible record they were able to manage.

I agree with longtrainn in that the veteran players help bama win those close games. As far as the luck goes, no team can finish the season with a good record without a little bit of luck somewhere along the way. That being said the only game where i see bama getting lucky was the UT game. UT seemed have that one just about over with until that fumble into the endzone.

Whats so funny about all of this...is that every year these preseason all sec things come out...and shula's cupboard is bare...he wins 10 games last year and according to ya'll he sucks.

251277[/snapback]

Actually, I never thought your cupboard was bare last year. Very shallow (as in no depth) but certainly not bare. You had a lot of good starting talent last year. However, you graduated all those great senior leaders that you're going to sorely miss this year. I do think you were VERY lucky to win some of those 10 games last year...again thanks to some of those great senior leaders on defense that are gone now. And I think those senior leaders recruited by Dubose and/or Franchione that "held the rope" had more to do with your 10-win season than Shula's abilities. JMO. of course.
I dont think that's fair at all. UT maybe. (Though we still had to travel the length of the field in under 2 mins). But Texas Tech? Come on, we led the ENTIRE game. Tech scored late in the game to tie it up because they converted a couple of 4th downs. You cant call that lucky at all.

251291[/snapback]

So when you score in a late desperate drive it's a feather in your cap, but when Texas Tech does the same, it's just a fluke?

I'll agree with most when I say that a 10 win season in the SEC is a great feat, and congrats to you on that. However, to chalk it up so much to coaching is a little bit of tunnel vision. You've gotta see the whole picture.

UF-UAT: Shula whips Meyer, period.

MSU-UAT: UAT scores ZERO offensive TDs (I think) and needs FGs to seal the deal. Not exaclty great coaching to barely beat MSU.

UM-UAT: UAT needs FGs to seal the deal (again). Not a great coaching job.

UT-UAT: UAT needs a FG to beat a POOR POOR Vol team at home. Not a great coaching job.

TXTech-UAT: UAT needs a FG to beat a decent team. Not a great coaching job.

UAT won 1 game last year where they were "out-talented." So in this case, a 10 win season should not be blindly credited to coaching, for coaching made those games close.

Great coaching alone did not produce a 13-0 season in 2004, it was talent and coaching. I think only talent showed up a couple of times last year for UAT.

I think Shula has improved and is a decent coach. He has ridden the wave of better talent (maybe not more, but better) than his opposition (at least in 05). Only time will tell if he can start to carry more of the weight this year.

Bama gets two "attaboy"s from last year. And only two. Not ten.

1. Beat Florida soundly.

Tainted by the inexplicable call to run up the score in the 4th and getting Bama's 2005 "Savior" injured. (As an aside, I've never seen any player get THAT much better just by getting injured. Prothro was/is good, but D*MN)

2. Beat Texas Tech

Shula gets credit for hiring Kines. The defense won that game. I won't take that away, even though it took a miracle for that kick to go through. Bravo.

Shula has shown me nothing. Nothing impressive.

Squeakers against...

Ole Miss (Losing record)

UT (Losing record)

Arky (Losing record)

MSU (maybe not a squeaker, but one of the WORST games ever.) (Losing record)

Southern Miss (devastated by Katrina)

So, why should I be impressed?

You beat TWO quality teams.

THREE games were gimmes that you took the way you should've. (SoCar, Utah St., Eastern Podunk)

You underperformed for FIVE games, but notched W's.

Moral victory against LSU.

Humiliating defeat in the Iron Bowl.

Hang your hat on your FIVE wins that you get to feel good about.

We'll keep giving you h*** for the FIVE games that looked like disasters.

Bama was overblown, overhyped, overrated ALL last year.

Whats so funny about all of this...is that every year these preseason all sec things come out...and shula's cupboard is bare...he wins 10 games last year and according to ya'll he sucks.

He wins 8-9 games this year and you'll say "Croom is still a better coach, but shulas got more talent than him. Anybody can win 8-9 games with that talent".

One day you guys will have to start giving him a little credit.

251277[/snapback]

BG, I said 9 wins last season, I dont know about you. Shula is a pretty good guy, that inherited a horrible situation. He has done a pretty good job overall. Improved every year, etc.

For you guys talking about the talent that won him games last year...SOMEONE had to foster that talent. Those guys were stars who were NOBODYS coming out of high school...save brodie. Shula had a bunch of guys who had offers from UAB and Troy.

So yeah he had a lot of leadership some good talent...but someone had to get them there.

UF-UAT: Shula whips Meyer, period.

MSU-UAT: UAT scores ZERO offensive TDs (I think) and needs FGs to seal the deal. Not exaclty great coaching to barely beat MSU.

UM-UAT: UAT needs FGs to seal the deal (again). Not a great coaching job.

UT-UAT: UAT needs a FG to beat a POOR POOR Vol team at home. Not a great coaching job.

TXTech-UAT: UAT needs a FG to beat a decent team. Not a great coaching job.

MSU score was 17-0 and they never crossed the 50. We lost our center in that game and put a guy in who had never played. So we played it close to the vest just to get through it.

We beat a UT team who was more talented, deeper, and with supposedly better coaching...but the biggest thing was that it was a huge rivalry game. Again, you cant take credit for beating a 4-7 bama team in 04 without giving some for the UT game.

Tx Tech...a decent team? How about UA needs a field goal to beat a 10 win team in the cotton bowl?

I just dont understand why "needing a field goal" means "your coaches suck"...what about the 97 Iron Bowl? That was luckier than our UT win...you didnt have to go the entire field to get in field goal range. And we sucked that year.

So when you score in a late desperate drive it's a feather in your cap, but when Texas Tech does the same, it's just a fluke?

The difference, id say...was that we lead the ENTIRE game against texas tech. My comment was to show that we were in control against TT. They pulled out all the stops JUST to tie it up. If Bama doesnt drive the field against UT, it goes to overtime. Same with the TT game. If we dont hit that crazy field goal, then we go to overtime...not lose.

Bama gets two "attaboy"s from last year.  And only two.  Not ten.

1.  Beat Florida soundly.

Tainted by the inexplicable call to run up the score in the 4th and getting Bama's 2005 "Savior" injured.  (As an aside, I've never seen any player get THAT much better just by getting injured.  Prothro was/is good, but D*MN)

2.  Beat Texas Tech

Shula gets credit for hiring Kines.  The defense won that game.  I won't take that away, even though it took a miracle for that kick to go through.  Bravo.

Shula has shown me nothing.  Nothing impressive.

Squeakers against...

Ole Miss (Losing record)

UT (Losing record)

Arky (Losing record)

MSU (maybe not a squeaker, but one of the WORST games ever.) (Losing record)

Southern Miss (devastated by Katrina)

So, why should I be impressed?

You beat TWO quality teams.

THREE games were gimmes that you took the way you should've. (SoCar, Utah St., Eastern Podunk)

You underperformed for FIVE games, but notched W's.

Moral victory against LSU.

Humiliating defeat in the Iron Bowl.

Hang your hat on your FIVE wins that you get to feel good about.

We'll keep giving you h*** for the FIVE games that looked like disasters.

Bama was overblown, overhyped, overrated ALL last year.

251333[/snapback]

Rainman ... OUTSTANDING assessment! :cheer: Couldn't have said it any better. Simply put, Jamie Christiansen was the difference maker in more than a few crucial wins last year. And let's face it, it was LUCK that the kick against Texas Tech went through. No kicker intends to strike the ball that way on purpose.

Aside: anyone else see the irony of a uat player being openly nicknamed "Money" with no embarrassment after the Albert Means scandal?

Not to mention that "money" had a worse feild goal % than AU's Kicker that uaters would say was just plain bad in '05.

But you probably shouldn't list U-Thug as one of the bigger games last season... especially after the incredible record they were able to manage.

251300[/snapback]

I don't see any * by the 2 wins over bad Alabama teams in y'alls so highly reguarded 4 win streak/fear the thumb mottos

I don't see any * by the 2 wins over bad Alabama teams in y'alls so highly reguarded 4 win streak/fear the thumb mottos

Thank you...thats what ive been saying forever.

Thank you...thats what ive been saying forever.

251373[/snapback]

Apples. Oranges.

Fran. Owned.

Shula 1. Owned.

Shula 2. Owned from the start of the 3rd QTR.

Shula 3. Owned.

No squeakers against mediocre teams.

Shula 1. Owned.

Shula 3. Owned.

Shula 1 went 4-7 and the final score was 28-23. That's "owned"? I thought when AU lost in 2001 30-7 to a 6-5 team THAT was being owned. But if you think a 5 point win over a 4-7 team is owned...more power to ya.

Shula 2 was 6-6 and you won by 8 points and tyrone dropped a wide open pass on the goal line on 4th down in the middle of the 4th. We still were an onsides kick away from trying to tie it up. Win? Sure...owned? no way dude.

Shula 1. Owned.

Shula 3. Owned.

Shula 1 went 4-7 and the final score was 28-23. That's "owned"? I thought when AU lost in 2001 30-7 to a 6-5 team THAT was being owned. But if you think a 5 point win over a 4-7 team is owned...more power to ya.

Shula 2 was 6-6 and you won by 8 points and tyrone dropped a wide open pass on the goal line on 4th down in the middle of the 4th. We still were an onsides kick away from trying to tie it up. Win? Sure...owned? no way dude.

251389[/snapback]

Revisionist history.

Shula 1. First snap TD-Carnell Williams. Second possession (3rd-play or so) TD-Ben Obamonu. Auburn threw on the brakes and totally WORKED that @$$.

Shula 2. Was ANY Auburn fan ever worried after DA caught the 3rd QTR opening pass near the goalline? No. Again, Tuberville took the air out of the ball and coasted to an easy win.

Only crimson wearers can claim anything but TOTAL ownership over the last four years.

Keep hanging up those Moral W's.

Shula is a decent head coach, I think he is a terrible play caller when it comes to the offense. How did Tubby lose the bowl game wincrimson? I'm pretty sure that the Auburn football team went out there and got outplayed and beat by the Wisconsin football team I didn't see where Tubby missed a tackle or threw an interception.

Revisionist history.

Revisionist history? What is revisionist about beating a 4-7 team by 5 points? Please please fill me in on this.

AU fans always try and show CTT as this great humanitarian whos always letting up on bama. If your coach "let up" and only beat a 4-7 team by 5 points than he's an idiot and should be fired.

I guess he let up on Ga Tech twice...and Wisconsin...he wanted to send barry off in style.

Hmmm.... Let's see....

Central Florida?

La Tech?

Any questions?

Revisionist history.

Revisionist history? What is revisionist about beating a 4-7 team by 5 points? Please please fill me in on this.

AU fans always try and show CTT as this great humanitarian whos always letting up on bama. If your coach "let up" and only beat a 4-7 team by 5 points than he's an idiot and should be fired.

I guess he let up on Ga Tech twice...and Wisconsin...he wanted to send barry off in style.

251466[/snapback]

Nah we were just relaxing after winning 4 in a row from the almighty tide and enjoying the new "Fear the Thumb" thing. Little did we know that that little symbol would grab the mighty tide by the ying ying so badly.

Revisionist history.

251466[/snapback]

No, we LOST those games. Get a frickin' clue.

Quit acting like a freakin' Bammer. You've always been pretty civil, but you're starting to show your :moon:

Who the F*** said anything about being Humanitarian? Taking the "air out of the ball" isn't humanitarian. Its a strategy for WINNING. You said the same thing in defense of the MSU game last year.

I already explained what was revisionist about it. Not ONCE in four years has Bama possessed the ball in the 4th QTR with a chance to take the lead. Smoke on that a while and tell me we haven't thouroughly TROUNCED the tide year-in and year-out for four years. Don't give me the "4-7 5 points" argument. Its tired and its lame. It has NO indication of how BADLY Bama was destroyed that night. Face it Bama has been CRUSHED four years running. Auburn hasn't squeaked by once.

Archived