What would your gameplan be??

eagle76

Haven't seen this kind of post but thought it would be interesting to give opinions from both an AU and opponent point of view.

I'm running short on time but here goes.

AU offense----Concentrate on running the ball and wearing down the defense. 65/35 run pass split. Use tightends for short passes on 3rd downs. Take a shot deep 2-3 times. Let Cox get comfortable with new line. Basic vanilla playcalling, no trick plays. Don't show lsu our hand. Ball control/clock management.

AU defense---Keep qb guessing. Blitz from different positions and alignments. Lot of defensive movement to confuse. Do not get burned deep. Easier said than done but take away the pass and force the run.

WSU offense----Attack lbs and dbs/s with short passes to set up the deep ball. 3-5 sec quick passes. Draws and screens to negate rush. No huddle to keep defense from getting their signals and into a groove. 4&5 man pass routes. Pass often on first down to gain 5+yards or more. Hit quick big play.

WSU defense-----STOP THE RUN. 7-9 men in the box. Force Cox to win the game with his arm. Force Cox to scramble.

Just some quick thoughts.

That would definitely be the conventional plan for a game like this. Minimize the opportunity for mistakes on the Off side by keeping the ball on the ground throwing short routes and let the athletes try to break one. Also, keeping a "throwing" offense off the field that can strike quickly.

I see the defense doing allot of run-blitzing from the safety position and being more agressive on the corners, knocking receivers off of routes giving more time for the DL and LB to get to the QB. Should lead to some bad throws and some picks hopefully.

Cougs have to stop the run first and foremost, no other option. If KI gets 100-130 yards... game over.

Cougs offense should do allot of flares and screens to the RB's to get favoriable mathcups against relatively inexperienced LB's and FS. Stay away from the WR's because Wilhite and Irons should shut them down for the most part. On running plays, counters and mis-direction to take advantage of agressive play on AU def. But even with that, I think AU's speed is too much and can make up any ground.

Ahhhhhh, gameplan.

I'd begin by running the ball a few times. Then I'd run it some more. When the defense started getting tired, I'd really crank up the running game. Just in case my linemen needed the work, I'd finish the game by running the ball some more.

The game will be well in hand by the 3rd Q... maybe by halftime.

Wazzu went 4-7 last season and played in the freaking Pac-10. Plus, they lost their All-America RB Harrison. I'm going with a 34-14 victory for y'all... but it could easily, and probably will, be worse.

Not sure if no huddle for WSU would be the best idea...seeing as how we're all going to be screaming our heads off and everything.

Not only that but Auburn fans are suprisingly knowledgable when it comes to football (especially the females...) and know that no huddle or audible means yell as loud as you can.

IMO Auburn will win this game with ball control. WSU has a potent offense and will score points if given the ball... and most likely score quick. If Auburn can have good long drives all day, consistently putting up points, I think the T.O.P. will help us a long way.

The end result will have an Auburn defense still fresh in the 4th quarter, and a WSU defense gasping for air.

Easy answer.....RUN and RUN again. Wear 'em down and own 'em in the 4th ! ! !

Easily said. Now we just gotta' go do it!

O N E at a time.

Stay away from the WR's because Wilhite and Irons should shut them down for the most part.

I agree that our CBs are very good and could probably take Hill out of the game, but you are smoking crack if you think that Doba isn't going to try to get that ball to Hill, Bumpus, et al, as much as possible.

We've heard all about how Wazzu will throw it and throw it and throw it, but, IMHO, the biggest key for the AU defense will be to stop the run. Don't forget that Jerome Harrison ran for a ton of yards (1,900, I think) last year; I never saw the guy play, but I'm pretty sure he didn't do that all on his own, and I'm pretty sure Wazzu's not going to forego the run completely just because he's gone. Yes, they've got an experienced QB and a game-breaker at WR in Jason Hill, but if they're constantly in 2nd and 3rd and long (i.e., predictable) situations, their likelihood of success decreases significantly. (Think 2001 AU-UF.) So I look for CWM to stuff the run on 1st down, and challenge D Irons to contain Hill one-on-one, then mix in the blitz on 2nd and 3rd and long. (And, oh by the way, the Q Groves Reign of Terror starts Saturday night - I expect to see A LOT of #54 in the backfield - up the Cougs' Wazzu, as it were.)

On offense, I wouldn't expect much different from last year, except that I'd expect to CTT to challenge Wazzu (and our guys) physically in the early going - if KI gets going, and the O-line can control the line of scrimmage, Wazzu will be vulnerable to play action, and . . . uh oh . . .

Overall, I just sense that this year's team has a greater focus than '03 - or even last year, in terms of the opening (GT) game. In both those years, AU came out tentative (NOTE: This doesn't mean that effort was lacking, but something intangible, be it chemistry, leadership, identity, whatever); in contrast, I think the team is eating nails this week . . . they can't wait to get after Wazzu. Sadly, they have to wait four more days . . .

Till then,

WAR EAGLE :au:

Archived