Fox Sports Fan Poll

AUChizad

Link

I know you people get all upset when someone posts a poll, but I'm not posting it begging you people to vote, but rather to point out how crazy this is that we're ranked at 18.

To those who hate these "popularity contests", I don't want to hear anything about how ESPN ignores us. It's a chicken or the egg argument. The interest isn't there because there's no media coverage, but there's no media coverage because the interest isn't there, and polls like this are an indication.

The odd thing is Auburn is #6 for the number of first place votes - there must be some "haters" out there ;)

Guest Tigrinum Major

I know you people get all upset when someone posts a poll,

You misunderstand me. Post all the polls you want to. I don't care. I will not be participating in said polls, is all.

It’s a poll. That means it’s subjective, biased and unscientific.

It’s a poll. That means it’s a reflection of the consensus of only the people who voted. Consider who votes on an open internet poll, and how often they vote (e.g. who has the best unis/band/mascot/stadium,etc.)

It’s a poll. And it’s only the 1st week. That means all those intelligent, unbiased & objective internet pollsters have exactly ONE data point to work with.

It’s a poll. And it’s only the 1st week. That means this is slightly more valuable than the Pre-season Polls – which everyone acknowledges to be worthless.

18th vs 19th, or 118th vs 119th ... who cares? It's a poll.

It’s a poll. That means it’s subjective, biased and unscientific.

It’s a poll. That means it’s a reflection of the consensus of only the people who voted. Consider who votes on an open internet poll, and how often they vote (e.g. who has the best unis/band/mascot/stadium,etc.)

It’s a poll. And it’s only the 1st week. That means all those intelligent, unbiased & objective internet pollsters have exactly ONE data point to work with.

It’s a poll. And it’s only the 1st week. That means this is slightly more valuable than the Pre-season Polls – which everyone acknowledges to be worthless.

18th vs 19th, or 118th vs 119th ... who cares? It's a poll.

I am very aware of all of this. You still fail to see my point. Our low fan poll rankings, regardless if they are justified, is the best gauge for the fan interest that the sports networks claim we have very little of. This is why we get little to no coverage on the networks. This is how USC jumps us in the polls, because it's "What the fans want to see."

Chizad brings up an interesting point. This is one fan poll that is very off, but then you look at the one that ESPN does and it seems to fall in line more witht the consesus of other polls.

So, this raises an interesting question just in statistics itself. Why such a big difference in the two different polls in which the fans vote in both of them. You would think that if a fan is going to take the time in vote in these, that they probably would vote in both of them. But then I see that over 370,000 votes have been cast in the Fox poll, but just around 60,000 in the ESPN poll. So basically 6 times more people vote in Fox's poll then in ESPNs poll even though ESPN would be considered a more popular source for college football info and news. Go figure. I guess it doesn't mean much to alot of you, but the mathematician in me finds a parity like this interesting.

ESPNU Allstate Standings

1. Ohio St. 1-0

2. Texas 1-0

3. USC 1-0

4. Notre Dame 1-0

5. Auburn 1-0

6. West Virginia 1-0

7. Florida State 1-0

8. LSU 1-0

9. Tennessee 1-0

10. Florida 1-0

11. Georgia 1-0

12. Penn St. 1-0

13. Virginia Tech 1-0

14. Oklahoma 1-0

15. Louisville 1-0

16. Iowa 1-0

17. Michigan 1-0

18. Miami 0-1

19. Oregon 1-0

20. Clemson 1-0

21. Nebraska 1-0

22. Wisconsin 1-0

23. Alabama 1-0

24. Georgia Tech 0-1

25. Texas Tech 1-0

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Ariz. St., California, TCU, Boston College, Boise St.

TOTAL VOTES

Archived