Tate's shirt

GalensGhost

When Tate got a few scrap carries late against MSU, did that burn his redshirt? He didn't look ready for everyday SEC pounding. I'd hate to think his redshirt was used.

What's the rule? How many plays can he get before the redshirt is out?

No plays and still redshirt unless it is a medical redshirt.

But the medical redshirt rule is abused all the time and guys use them on "season ending hang-nails" and such.

It is a common misconception that players can play a few plays early in the season and still get a redshirt. This isn't true...it is just commonly mistaken for a redshirt due to 'injury' that guys can use if they play in less than 20% of games and get hurt.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/faqs/faqs_...ty_seasons.html

Actually the medical redshirt is scrutinized heavily before awarded. He'd have to have a major injury to be eligible to get one.

If you have already used a red-shirt, then yes they are. David Irons is an example of this.

If you have not alredy used a red-shirt, then they are given out pretty freely.

The way way I understand it is you can see limited time in two games and still recieve a redshirt.

not trying to be an A$$, but since its LSU/AU WEEK....I will.... YOU UNDERSTAND WRONG! ;):poke::lol:

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Redshirt Definition from ncaa.org

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

from http://www.lincolnu.edu/pages/1028.asp

Redshirt: The term "redshirt" is not an official NCAA term. It is simply a reference to a year in which a student-athlete does not use a season of eligibility. This is usually a conscious decision made by the coaching staff so that an individual can have time to concentrate on academics, gain strength or gain knowledge of a sport.

Medical Redshirt: The term "medical redshirt" is not an official NCAA term either. It is also a reference to a year in which a student-athlete does not use a season of eligibility. As the term suggests, a "medical redshirt" occurs when the student-athlete does not compete due to an injury or illness. If a student-athlete actually competes during a given year and is then injured, he/she must apply for a medical hardship waiver so that he/she will not be charged with a season of eligibility.

Medical Hardship Waiver: This waiver allows a student-athlete to be granted an additional season of competition when he/she has participated in competition during a given year but subsequently suffers a season-ending injury. A student-athlete may qualify for this waiver when he/she has participated in 20% or less of his/her team's competitive events for the season (e.g., 3 games of an 11 game football schedule), his/her participation occurred only during the first half of the season and he/she suffered a season ending injury. These waivers may not be officially requested and granted until the completion of the season in which the student-athlete was injured.

I don't think they can give those too freely. Trott was not injured. I know David Irons went through HADES to get his medical redshirt and he did not play a down in 2004 when the injury occurred.

I have always heard that there is a certain % of snaps they can play in two games before they become ineligible for a redshirt. Too be 100% I do not know the offical rules.

I don't think they can give those too freely. Trott was not injured. I know David Irons went through HADES to get his medical redshirt and he did not play a down in 2004 when the injury occurred.

I have always heard that there is a certain % of snaps they can play in two games before they become ineligible for a redshirt. Too be 100% I do not know the offical rules.

Well I myself don't know the rules 100% either other than what I read (NCAA) that says (one play and you're done). As far as medical redshirts, I think they are given out pretty easily if you HAVEN'T used your initial redshirt year. If you HAVE already used it, then its VERY hard to get. Isn't that Irons case? I think if you use a "medical redshirt" before the regular "redshirt", you lose the regular "redshirt".........this may be the reasoning behind giving it out easier if you haven't used the initial redshirt???

Does that make sense? I"m not 100% positive on this, but it would make sense if this is how it works as I do know that if you play in a game you lose your regular "redshirt".

Dante Ellington played 2 snaps his freshman year at Bama and lost his redshirt for it.

Unless you get a med red...if you play one snap...you burned a year.

Dante Ellington played 2 snaps his freshman year at Bama and lost his redshirt for it.

Unless you get a med red...if you play one snap...you burned a year.

Wrong!!!

Actually, he's correct. Look at the link that MDM provided. It is straight from the NCAA.

For real. There is not argument about it. I was actually about to post that same link from the NCAA website when MDM beat me too if by a few seconds the other day. I even looked around the website to make sure there was no loophole and there isn't. If you play one snap, you lose your redshirt. That surprised me also because I thought you could play just a little bit also and keep your redshirt. But, the NCAA website is pretty clear on that subject.

Same thing. I have in my hand the :au: media guide. It says Trott redshirted but played against Ball ST and South Carolina. I know what the website says but I really don't know how it is done. I do think though that Scott was right the more I think about it. They might have used a medical shirt for Trott

I think that CTT might not want to redshirt him. I think that they will be looking at the same type 1-2 punch with Lester and Tate next year. He probably wants Tate to get snaps and gain experience so he will be ready for game situations. With the recruiting as of late I don't think it will be a factor if we have Tate for 3 more years after this one. If he does shine he may even go to the draft early...you never know. I just think that CTT is trying to get him ready for next year when K. Irons is gone.

Archived