A Recruiting Visit With Nick $aban

Proud Tiger

How well will $ban's word play in the world of recruiting? Here is how it might go:

"Hello, sir, is this Jimmy Joe McBubba?" (all bama prospects have three names)

"It is"

Mr. McBubba, this is Nick $aban. I recently agreed on a contract relative to coaching the football team at the University of Alabama."

"I see."

Mr. Mc Bubba, we think Junior is one of the finest tight ends relative to the state of Alabama. We think..."

Father-- Wait a minute coach. There's a rumor you told the same thing to the tight end at our rival high school. What do you have to say about that?

$aban--I'm just making a rule to never coment on something like that again because evdry time you comment on it, it just makes for another story. So, I'm not going to comment on it five years from now and I'm not going to comment on it next week.

Father--But the other guy's coach says his kid is the tight end you really want the most. tell me the truth. coach. Have you been in contact with the other kid?

$aban--No, I haven't. Don't care to. Don't want to. I've got a job to do here."

Father--But....

$aban--I'm not interested in any other circumstances or situation anyplace else. This is the challenge I wanted.

Father--Well coach, I'm sure junior is flattered by your interest. But idf Junior commits to you, how caan he be sure you're going to still to be Alaabama's coach by the time he's a senior in six years? I mean, the recruiters from Auburn and Ole Miss and just about every other school in the SEC all are telling Junior the same thing about you. As a head coach you were only at toledo only one year, then at Michigan St. for only five years, then at LSU for five,. You left the Miami Dolphins after only two seasons, with three left on your contract. And in 2004, the year before yoou left LSU for the Dolphins, you turned down the Chicago bears before they hire Lovie Smith.

$aban--I'm not going to continue to respond to rumors and and inuendo, which this obviously is. I'm commited to a group of guys here and a football team and a football staff, and we're working hard to get the season right. it really challenges your professioanlism and integrity to even talk about it. people throw it to the wall, see what sticks.

Father--Coach, these aren't rumors or innuendo. They are facts. And besides, you called it rumors or innuendo when reports were first linking you to the Alabama job, and yet they stuck, You have to admit it leaves the impression that....

$aban--Why would I give you that impression? That's your impression.

Father--But what if you're successful with Alabama, as you probably will be, and then Joe Gibbs retires and the Redskins throw a bunch of money at you like they did Steve Spurrier? would you ever leave Alabama to return to the NFL?

$aban--I guess I have to say it: I'm not gointg to be the Alabama coach. Wait...I mean the Redskins coach. Little Freudian slip there. kind of of reciting by rote. Where was I? Oh, yes---I shouldn't even have to to comment on this. I think I've said this over and over again. What they do with their position is their business.

Father--So you can honestly say that in no way will you leave Alabama after a few years?

$aban--I think I just said that. Did I not say that?

Father--Yes, but...

$aban--I'm comitted to doing my job well here. This is my job. That's what I've done all day, andthat's what I will continue to do.

Father--And I've got a job to do too coach, which is to ensure that my son plays for a coach wh has even a shred of credibility or character. Sorry.

----

Note that almost all of $aban's statement in the above ficticious scenario are almost direct quotes form him over the past few days.

Archived