Is probation in the Bammers future

whiteplainstiger

Les Miles is already accusing Nick Saban of negative recruiting and possibly of cheating. Some people actually think Les Miles is planning on turning Nick Saban in for cheating. I knew there was a good chance Saban would get the Bammers put on probation, but I didnt know it would be this soon

Here is the link.

http://www.lsubeat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...S0202/702080333

Just in case LSU fans have not already circled Nov. 3 on their calendars, LSU football coach Les Miles made darn sure they will while addressing several hundred fans at the annual Bayou Bash recruiting party Wednesday at the Baton Rouge River Center.

Nov. 3 is when LSU is scheduled to play Alabama and new coach Nick Saban, whom Miles followed at LSU two years ago and has followed into recruits' homes the last several weeks.

"We're looking forward to playing Florida," an animated Miles said, then gradually raised his voice. "We're looking forward to playing Auburn. But we have a new rival in (expletive deleted) Alabama."

And the crowd roared. Then it delivered a standing ovation.

Earlier Wednesday afternoon, a more subdued Miles answered a question about alleged negative recruiting toward LSU by Saban at a national signing day news conference at LSU.

Former LSU commitment Luther Davis of West Monroe told reporters last month that Saban told him his coaching staff was better than Miles' staff. Davis later switched his commitment to Alabama after visiting that campus when he told LSU's coaches he would not visit. Davis, the No. 25-ranked defensive tackle in the nation, signed with Alabama on Wednesday.

Miles did not confirm nor deny that Saban and/or his staff were doing any negative recruiting toward LSU.

"I think that whatever was used against our staff obviously didn't work," Miles said of his class that was ranked No. 2 by Scout.com. "And so I would hope that they would continue to negative recruit because the recruiting that was done this year for the LSU Tigers was very capable. I would take a second-ranked class in the country for some time.

"Here's what happens, anybody that negative recruits, the student-athlete that hears that has to qualify what's being said. And if that is without basis and without what would be a logical framework by which to communicate with that student-athlete, it immediately discredits them. So I can tell you that there was some negative recruiting going on out there."

Tony Jones, the father of LSU signee Phelon Jones of McGill-Toolen High in Mobile, Ala., visited with Saban and LSU coaches back-to-back shortly after Saban became Alabama's coach on Jan. 3. He defended Saban.

"He (Saban) is aggressively trying to get kids because he knows he's behind," Jones said. "He's trying to get everybody he can. I'm not going to say anything bad about Nick Saban."

Jones' son Phelon, who is the No. 10-ranked cornerback in the nation, turned down a visit to Alabama last month and signed with LSU on Wednesday. Alabama's signing class finished No. 10 in the nation after a ranking of 14 on Tuesday in Rivals.com.

"We went out and recruited the players that we thought were good enough to help us win," Saban said at his news conference Wednesday. "In some cases they were interested in us and in some cases it was difficult to change their mind."

Saban signed players from seven states in all with just one from Louisiana.

"We are going to recruit everywhere there are football players. Any place around here that has good football players we are going to recruit them," he said.

"I think you've seen an immediate impact with Saban," Rivals.com editor Bobby Burton said. "Long term, Nick Saban is going to get some good football players from Louisiana. The question is whether he can get guys that LSU wanted just as much, and if he can get enough of them to really make a difference."

Regardless of who may or may not be doing it, Miles said that negative recruiting can backfire.

"I think any time that you spend too much time on an opponent, you're wasting your moments with the student-athlete," he said. "So, what we've always tried to do is point at the opportunities that we have and emphasize those and hope that the guy we're talking to recognizes the difference."

Still, he said he has to respond to negative recruiting, for example, if the prospect brings it up.

"You have to step into the fray," Miles said. "You can't leave a void."

Meanwhile, members of No. 1-ranked tailback Joe McKnight's camp have said LSU coaches negatively recruited against USC by bringing up the investigation of former USC tailback Reggie Bush that could lead to NCAA probation.

"I heard that LSU pointed that out, and it backfired," recruiting expert Mike Scarborough of Rivals.com said.

McKnight, whom USC coaches said would be the next Bush, signed with USC over LSU, Ole Miss and Alabama on Wednesday morning at Curtis during a nationally televised press conference on ESPNU.

McKnight was asked about the investigation of Bush, who is now a star with the New Orleans Saints, at his news conference. He said it came up when USC coach Pete Carroll visited him at his home last week.

"He called Reggie on the phone and put him on the speakerphone," McKnight said. "He said he didn't have anything to do with it."

Curtis coach J.T. Curtis then said, "We addressed that issue."

At his news conference, Miles interjected that he also feels some recruiting violations may have taken place by schools he did not name.

"I can tell you that in this recruiting class and in this recruiting season, I thought that what appeared to be breaking of rules was much more rampant," Miles said. "But I wouldn't want to say that it appeared from any one school more than any other."

Asked a follow-up question about possible rules violations by other schools, Miles said, "There's a piece at the end of every recruiting season where we sit down and try to discern the legitimacy of what appears to be rules violations. We're still in that process, tying up loose ends. I can tell you this, that if in fact we find there's some irregularities, they will be turned in."

towards the end of that article it seems as though he is talking about :ua: . we win 1 recruit that we went head to head with LSU over and he's gonna cry about it? i think that statement is sorta sour grapes, or just trying to stir the pot a little further....take your pick. if AU/UA called the NCAA over everyone we both wanted that went the other way the phone lines would be smokin. but we're talking about 1 recruit here....

Lester Miles is a crybaby. He makes me want to punch him in his tiny head. But if that crybaby gets Bama in trouble, I'll take it.

I don't think that UA is cheating, they can't afford too. If they are cheating and get caught, then it will be a long journey for them down death penalty road.

I don't think that Nick Saban is dumb enough to walk into LSU's back yard and buy a recruit. Remember, that's what got Dubose and Co. in trouble year's back in Tennessee with Albert Means. It's one thing to buy recruits in your own state but when you buy them elsewhere, your rivals will snitch if they have any information.

Saban has taken more than one opportunity in his meetings with boosters, QB Club speeches etc to say that "none of that Logan Young BS is going to go on here anymore..."

Saban has taken more than one opportunity in his meetings with boosters, QB Club speeches etc to say that "none of that Logan Young BS is going to go on here anymore..."

Yes, and what he says is.... Oh nevermind...

Saban has been a liar his entire life. I guarantee you he was lying when he made that statement.

Just an observation on recruting practices. I truly believe that there's a lot more underhanded, under-the-table stuff that goes on than we could ever imagine. How much for an overweight, overrated defensive lineman?

I also believe that most coaches are aware of who's doing what, where when and how. But, have you ever wondered why there's not more whistle blowing going on? Maybe it's best to leave such things alone in most cases, get the best players you can and dish out severe payback on the field.

I worked an internship with a guy who played basketball at N. Carolina A&T. You would think that a guy like that, with no ambition to go into the NBA, playing at a small school, etc... would be pretty clean when it comes to how he got recruited and beyond but no. This guy was on a much smaller scale than big time college athletes, he collected shoes, and whenever the newest 400 dollar shoes came out, all he had to do was make a couple calls and they were paid for. Xbox 360? why not, just keep sinking those shots from the field. If this is what goes on at a small school with guys that are just playing for fun, what do you think happens with the reggie bush's, the maurice clarette's, etc... I'm talking more than shoes and some video games. We're looking at tutors writing papers, grades handed out, you want a car? how does the new model escalade sound? why not, we helped set up the cadillac dealership up the road, why don't you come by on saturday and have a look around. So you're interested in our school? Come on down next weekend, we'll show you the time of your life.

This stuff is rampant and uninhibited. I question how much it goes on at Auburn because you see guys who get suspended for not making the grades. You see the players riding around in old beaters. I'm sure it happens to some extent though. I don't think its possible to have a major contending team without that stuff. In my opinion, the players at schools should be allowed the same benefits that someone with exceptional grades would get. i.e. my brother was offered a full ride at Alabama (which he turned down for no scholarship at Ga. Tech :roflol::roflol::roflol: ) but included was a stipend so that he could concentrate on his school work rather than getting a job. Why not offer players a little bit of spending cash for going out to dinner or for a few drinks. They could even save it up to buy some new shoes.

This stuff is rampant and uninhibited. I question how much it goes on at Auburn because you see guys who get suspended for not making the grades. You see the players riding around in old beaters. I'm sure it happens to some extent though.

Do you remember Chris Porter? When he rolled up to his apartment in his rusted out Cutlass it looked like Spicoli getting out of his van. How he saw thru that much smoke I will never know.

Saban took more than one opportunity in meetings with his employers, the media and in press conferences to say that "I will not be the coach at Alabama."

Yeah...... I'm buying it.

i don't think so, the repeat offender window is closed. If they get caught it would be new penalties.

Their 5-year probabtionary period only ended last week. Wouldn't any violations before that, but after Saban's arrival, still fall within that five year period and still fall within the "repeat offender" window even if they weren't reported until after the period ended?

Saban took more than one opportunity in meetings with his employers, the media and in press conferences to say that "I will not be the coach at Alabama."

Yeah...... I'm buying it.

I don't buy it either. The RE's at uat want to win now more than ever. They are desperate for success and will do anything it takes to get it. We are talking about a university that has been buying players since the 1920's, and were likely still cheating the last 5 years while in NCAA prison...They certainly will not stop now that they have been let out of jail. Can't believe anything saban says, so no credible source there... They had to pay CNS $4 million a year so that the HC would finally make more than the players.... FACT 1: UAT cheats.. FACT 2: UAT will never stop Fact 1..

I don't think that UA is cheating, they can't afford too.

Sure they can...they still have plenty of money! :roflol:

:au::homer:

Archived