uat sprang tranin

Tigerguy

Anyone see the Huntsville Times article by Paul Gattis today ? Paul says a priority will be to replace Ken " The Mouth " Darby. Isn't it strange that anyone would think that replacing a non-performer would be a priority ? Gattis the bammer horn blower lives in an alternate dimension where bear still lives , coaches the turd and every little boy dreams of playing for the bare.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're fine at the RB position, much better than last year. DL is where we'll be looking for answers.

http://tidesports.com/article/20070324/NEWS/703240331/1011

how are you fine if you didn't have anyone better than or at least as good as darby?

We're fine at the RB position, much better than last year. DL is where we'll be looking for answers.

how are you fine if you didn't have anyone better than or at least as good as darby?

Everybody we've GOT is better than what KD was last year. Even KD himself questioned why Shula didn't demote him in favor of Johns. He was out of shape and still reeling from his Fathers death. Coffee and Grant were redshirted last year because of injuries and Upchurch spent a lot of the time injured too.

Everybody we've GOT is better than what KD was last year. Even KD himself questioned why Shula didn't demote him in favor of Johns. He was out of shape and still reeling from his Fathers death. Coffee and Grant were redshirted last year because of injuries and Upchurch spent a lot of the time injured too.

i never saw anything from KD saying that he thought he should be demoted. if that were the case, why wouldn't he have just refused to start if he was so interested in what was good for the team? i'm not so sure that we're "fine" at RB. anytime you lose your starter, you have to worry a little. now if jimmy johns was going to be the starter, i think that would ease my worry quite a bit. i think it will be well after the a-day game before we really know whats up.

i never saw anything from KD saying that he thought he should be demoted. if that were the case, why wouldn't he have just refused to start if he was so interested in what was good for the team? i'm not so sure that we're "fine" at RB. anytime you lose your starter, you have to worry a little. now if jimmy johns was going to be the starter, i think that would ease my worry quite a bit. i think it will be well after the a-day game before we really know whats up.

I think I speak for many when I say that it is my fervent hope that Jimmy Johns ends up being your starting running back. Should that be the case, it will mean you have searched your roster and can't come up with anything better than the sandwich man.

Yeah, I was wondering where Buttplug pulled that little nugget of info from.

If Darby ever said anything like that, it would have been the end of him for sure.

Serious question here. for you RWS..do you think there is anybody that can beat out Jimmy Johns for the starting job? If so, who? Can Jimmy Johns carry the RB load by himself or is he going to need help?

Are you as a UAT fan comfortable with your QB situation?

If Darby ever said anything like that, it would have been the end of him for sure.

Serious question here. for you RWS..do you think there is anybody that can beat out Jimmy Johns for the starting job? If so, who? Can Jimmy Johns carry the RB load by himself or is he going to need help?

He said it during Senior Bowl practice. JJ will be moved to LB. Coffee & Grant and possibly a Frosh will man the RB position.

He said it during Senior Bowl practice.

Link?? where's the proof? I know you don't expect us to take YOUR word for anything, right??

I heard (no link, I guess this is gossip) that Jimmy Johns was possibly going to get kicked off the team. Have no idea where this rumor started, or why. Has anybody else heard anything like this?

I heard (no link, I guess this is gossip) that Jimmy Johns was possibly going to get kicked off the team. Have no idea where this rumor started, or why. Has anybody else heard anything like this?

Sounds like gossip to me. I have not heard anything from my UAT source about that. But then again I have not talked to him in a couple of weeks.

Our top 3 runningbacks, Coffee, Upchruch, and Grant...were all hurt last year.

huh?? so a returning SENIOR starter isn't in your top 3? yeah...easy to say that now after he imploded during the season... :bamaspin::bamaspin:

huh?? so a returning SENIOR starter isn't in your top 3? yeah...easy to say that now after he imploded during the season... :bamaspin::bamaspin:

It's been well documented that Shula had his favorites. Darby was a really good runningback going into last year. But about halfway through the season, he would have been replaced by any of those three RBs if they werent injured and Shula wasnt coaching.

I thought I heard a while back that Upchurch’s injury was serious and his future career may be in jeopardy.

I thought I heard a while back that Upchurch’s injury was serious and his future career may be in jeopardy.

"Bone defects in each of his feet -- both of which required corrective surgery -- relegated Roy Upchurch to "potential" status in his first two seasons on campus. When healthy, his talents are obvious: vision, solid speed, cutting ability and deceiving power. He rebounded quickly enough from his first surgery to take part in spring drills a year ago. If he can pull off another timely recovery and stay healthy for an extended period of time, Upchurch will be difficult to keep on the sideline. Ball security and pass protection continue to rank at the top of Upchurch's to-do list."

We'll see. We also have Ali Sharrief, who changed his committment from Auburn to Alabama during recruiting, if you'll remember. :poke:

BP...I'm worried about you...you seem almost coherent and civil lately....what's up? :)

:au::homer:

We'll see. We also have Ali Sharrief, who changed his committment from Auburn to Alabama during recruiting, if you'll remember. :poke:

If you looked at the RB depth charts that he looked at, it would have been a no-brainer for you too.

"Bone defects in each of his feet -- both of which required corrective surgery -- relegated Roy Upchurch to "potential" status in his first two seasons on campus. When healthy, his talents are obvious: vision, solid speed, cutting ability and deceiving power. He rebounded quickly enough from his first surgery to take part in spring drills a year ago. If he can pull off another timely recovery and stay healthy for an extended period of time, Upchurch will be difficult to keep on the sideline. Ball security and pass protection continue to rank at the top of Upchurch's to-do list."

Yeah and if he doesn't switch to defense he'll be back home with mom and dad.

I like how going into this season BG was arguing that Darby will break the all time rushing record at Bammer and be one of the all time greats at the Crapstone. Then after the season, according to you, he was the fourth best on the team. Make up your mind BG.

D. Goode will be UAT's most productive back this year.

I like how going into this season BG was arguing that Darby will break the all time rushing record at Bammer and be one of the all time greats at the Crapstone. Then after the season, according to you, he was the fourth best on the team. Make up your mind BG.

Is it MY fault that the guy showed up to camp out of shape and never showed the same talent that he showed the prior 3 freaking seasons? Sheesh. I can't tell the future. But based on his previous three years of on the field performance, COMMON SENSE would tell anyone that he was on pace for a good senior season.

Don't sit here and tell me that you knew he was going to be a bust this year...because you'd have nothing to base that on. His senior year was the exact opposite of what all indicators were showing from his previous seasons.

'I was never myself,' Darby says of '06

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Huntsville Times

He says he's better, reveals effect of injury, dad's illness

MOBILE - Only six months ago, Kenneth Darby looked and sounded like the most confident football player in the Southeastern Conference.

At the annual SEC Media Days in Birmingham in late July, Darby was preparing for what everybody thought would be a stellar season for the University of Alabama football team and for its 5-foot-11 senior tailback.

Darby, who rushed for more than 4,600 career yards as an All-State player at Butler High, was coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. Most believed he was a shoo-in to break Shaun Alexander's record as the Crimson Tide's all-time leading rusher.

With preseason practice only days away, Darby was referring to himself as "the most underrated player in the SEC.'' Asked how he ranked among the league's top running backs, he answered candidly, not in a boastful way: "Top five. No, top three. I put Kenny Irons and (Darren) McFadden up there with me.''

Nobody had reason to doubt it at the time. But then nobody knew the problems, both physical and emotional, that Darby would face in the coming days and weeks.

Not long before, his father - Winston Woods Jr. - had been diagnosed with lung cancer, and as the football season drew closer, the health of the man who had been No. 34's biggest fan began to fail. At about the same time, Darby limped off the practice field with a scary knee injury, which forced him to miss nearly two weeks of crucial conditioning.

The combination of the two situations proved too much to overcome. Although he started all 13 games, extending his streak to 24 straight, it was obvious from the start that this was not the same Kenneth Darby who was named first-team All-SEC by the league's coaches in 2005.

Although he finished with 835 yards, Darby looked heavier and more tentative, rushing for more than 100 yards only twice and averaging just 3.9 yards per carry. His struggles turned out to be a microcosm of the larger problems of the Alabama team, which finished 6-7 after going 10-2 the year before.

Two days after the Tide lost to Auburn in the final regular-season game, Darby's father died, leaving behind his wife Alfredia and three grown children: Shaft, Margita and Ken.

A week later, Alabama coach Mike Shula was fired.

A season that had begun with such great expectations for the Darby family and the Alabama nation had come apart in a matter of 15 weeks.

"I didn't want to talk about what was happening because it'd sound like I was just making excuses,'' said Darby, one of three Alabama players on the South team at this year's annual Senior Bowl. "But I was never myself this past season, and that was a part of what happened to our whole team.''

Aching memories

It was clearly painful for Darby to relive the unexpected turn of events of the past few months - his father's illness, his injury, hearing the rumblings from the fans, dealing with the mounting frustrations of not being able to do the things he had done before. On the other hand, talking about it this week at the Senior Bowl seemed somehow to help.

"When I went into this season, my mind wasn't on football,'' Darby acknowledged. "My mind and my heart weren't into it because of what was going on off the field with my family.

"I even told my coaches that. I was concerned about my father and how my mother would be, and it kind of consumed my mind, thinking about it all the time. I wasn't really thinking about football.

"Then I had that nagging kind of injury before the season and wasn't able to work much,'' he said, "and my weight went up. I didn't bring it out in public, but my coaches and teammates understood what was going on.''

Darby said he knew he was a step slower than he had been before. At 220 pounds, he knew he couldn't run and cut the same way he'd done at 205. He knew his spirit and confidence were down. But he kept playing, thinking eventually he'd regain his old form, believing he owed it to his teammates to hang tough.

"I tried my best to stick in there and be a leader and help my team,'' he said, "but I knew - everybody knew - that I wasn't the same player, and that hurt.''

Darby believes he'll have an opportunity to redeem himself this week in Mobile. He expects to play well in Saturday's Senior Bowl game. He believes he'll have a chance to make an NFL roster.

His motivation is the example set by his late father.

"Everything I'm working for right now, being down here, is what he wanted me to do,'' Darby said. "He's the reason I'm in the Senior Bowl right now. He wanted to see me graduate from college, which I did. But he wasn't there to see it.

"Any reward I might get from here on, I dedicate it all to him. Before he departed, he told me a saying that sticks with me, and I'll remember it the rest of my life. He told me to do my part and he'll do his part. To me that meant, 'Don't worry about me. Take care of what you've got to do and everything else will fall into place.' "

From a football standpoint, things are finally looking up again in Kenneth Darby's life. He's down to 210 pounds. Much of the old explosiveness seems to have returned. He looks trimmer and quicker in Senior Bowl practices. His coaches have been complimentary in practice. He's smiling again.

"I'm the same guy people always thought I was,'' he said. "Things have been like a straight, narrow road for me these last few weeks. I've been through a lot, but I feel like I've grown as a man. Now I'm trying to see if I can make that next step in football.

"And I believe I can.''

Contact John Pruett at johnp@htimes.com

Is it MY fault that the guy showed up to camp out of shape and never showed the same talent that he showed the prior 3 freaking seasons? Sheesh. I can't tell the future. But based on his previous three years of on the field performance, COMMON SENSE would tell anyone that he was on pace for a good senior season.

Don't sit here and tell me that you knew he was going to be a bust this year...because you'd have nothing to base that on. His senior year was the exact opposite of what all indicators were showing from his previous seasons.

I hate to do this ;)

BG is somewhat right, KD never really showed up last year...

Given what Darby had going on with his dad, it's no suprise he didn't perform. That's a lot for a young man to have on his plate.

Archived