Article from Bamamag.com

DKW 86

http://alabama.scout.com/2/629008.html

Bama Should Win At Least Eight (This is from Dobbs, not Saban)

By Mitch Dobbs

Posted Mar 22, 2007

Nick Saban doesn’t want to publicly (and perhaps not even privately) evaluate his team or create any expectation level whatsoever going into spring practice, and how long Saban will demur when asked any specific, substantive questions remains a mystery.

Understandable.

The reluctance to discuss how the current group of Alabama players stack up individually, or even as a collective group comparatively to other groups of athletes Saban and his staff have respectively coached in the past, is not just a quirk. It’s a philosophy in itself.

As Alabama Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele said Thursday, “Obviously we have a philosophy here, and that philosophy is deeply ingrained in the program. That philosophy, from day one, it’s ‘Guys, don’t get into evaluating too much now. Let’s go through the process of teaching and as we get through a cycle of off-season conditioning, strength and conditioning program, then some football, Xs and O learning in the classroom which we haven’t even gotten to yet, then let’s sit down and assess it.”

The reason for that, Steele implied, is so as not to create any false impressions in their own minds or in the minds of outsiders. “So just teach, and that will take care of itself.”

Saban did cop to an obvious and glaring deficiency with the current squad on Thursday, a lack of numbers and a lack of experience in the defensive front seven. And he said that if you have a weak front seven it makes it is more likely their will have to be eight men in the box to stop the run, “which leaves you susceptible to having the ball thrown on you.”

Saban noted that discipline was an area where the team was lacking in describing a drill where a group must line up properly, not jump offsides, and sprint 10 yards through the finish line full speed 10 consecutive times without one screw-up before the drill is over.

“How many of those do you think we’d have to put our team on the line to do to get 10 of them (in a row) run right? I’m not going to tell you how many we had to do,” he said. “That seems to be a simpler task, to me, than ever executing a play on offense, or defense, or a blitz or whatever. So when I say we’ve made improvement, we have, but are we where we need to be? I’m not sure.”

Otherwise, we are left to guess on whether Saban and staff thinks the team they have inherited are even physically talented enough to match up with the middleweights in the Southeastern Conference, or go toe-to-toe with the big boys, or to hang around with the dregs of the league.

“You’ve got to be careful of getting into comparative analysis, simply because no two teams are alike,” Steele said. “The team that I coached (at Florida State) if I had stayed, is different from the team from last year. Assess it in its proper cycle.”

But hints were dropped to keen observers at BamaMag.com. On the offense, for example, Saban said there would be a whole gamut of all different types of formations and plays known to football. Sounds like a "kitchen sink" or "throw crap against a wall and see what sticks" philosophy to me. Maybe even a little desperation for a really inexperienced OC starting his first season against real SEC Defenses.

As an example of the versatility he is seeking he referred to the 2001 Southeastern Conference Championship game when Rohan Davey (a pocket passer) was being swarmed by Tennessee’s front seven because LSU couldn’t protect the passer. But Davey got hurt and Matt Mauck came into the game and the offense changed to empty backfields and zone reads (where Mauck could go from the shotgun and decide whether to hand the ball off to his running back or keep it himself) and other plays where Mauck could use his legs effectively. LSU came back from a 10-point deficit to win the game.

“We had enough flexibility in our system to feature two different types of quarterbacks and style,” Saban said.

Well, if Alabama still has a lot of holes in its offensive line, and if it can’t protect the quarterback significantly better than it did last year it’s a good bet that John Parker Wilson will be running plays that make him look more like Matt Mauck than Rohan Davey.

As for the big picture for Alabama as the squad enters the spring? Things are subject to change based on gains or losses in the spring, and based on perceptive shifts in the squad based on spring practice and scrimmages, but for now a proper over/under on the number of regular seasons wins Alabama will get next season in Nick Saban’s first year is eight and a half.

I have already seen the expectation level as high as ever in their fans locally. Hell, the tide fans are already naming kids after a coach that hasnt even coached a game yet! Some talk about an :sec: title this year and some talk about a real BCS run, just to prove to the :sec: that bama is back.

It is funny watching the spin already start. While Shula was there, every Bama fan I heard, even BG on this board, said that "Shula was recruiting lights out." If he was, why does the apparent overall view of the team seem so dim? It is apparent to me that Saban is lowering expectations. If you read bewtween the lines CNS is doing a pretty good job of poor mouthing the team, of course some are already responding to this article by saying: JUST LIKE BEAR USED TO DO. Good luck CNS. The bama faithfull will hear not a word of it. They expect much better than 8 wins and they expect it yesterday. Besides, ten wins at bama seems to get you fired the next year anyway.

The delusion in Tuscaloosa is sssooo high that there will be no lowering of expectations. I think it has to do more with that $4M salary and the 24/7/365 hype since your hire, and a big losing record against :ut::lsu: & :au: over the last 6 seasons.

By Mitch Dobbs

Posted Mar 22, 2007

Nick Saban doesn’t want to publicly (and perhaps not even privately) evaluate his team or create any expectation level whatsoever going into spring practice, and how long Saban will demur when asked any specific, substantive questions remains a mystery.

Understandable.

The reluctance to discuss how the current group of Alabama players stack up individually, or even as a collective group comparatively to other groups of athletes Saban and his staff have respectively coached in the past, is not just a quirk. It’s a philosophy in itself.

As Alabama Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele said Thursday, “Obviously we have a philosophy here, and that philosophy is deeply ingrained in the program. That philosophy, from day one, it’s ‘Guys, don’t get into evaluating too much now. Let’s go through the process of teaching and as we get through a cycle of off-season conditioning, strength and conditioning program, then some football, Xs and O learning in the classroom which we haven’t even gotten to yet, then let’s sit down and assess it.â€Â

The reason for that, Steele implied, is so as not to create any false impressions in their own minds or in the minds of outsiders. “So just teach, and that will take care of itself.â€Â

Saban did cop to an obvious and glaring deficiency with the current squad on Thursday, a lack of numbers and a lack of experience in the defensive front seven. And he said that if you have a weak front seven it makes it is more likely their will have to be eight men in the box to stop the run, “which leaves you susceptible to having the ball thrown on you.â€Â

Saban noted that discipline was an area where the team was lacking in describing a drill where a group must line up properly, not jump offsides, and sprint 10 yards through the finish line full speed 10 consecutive times without one screw-up before the drill is over.

“How many of those do you think we’d have to put our team on the line to do to get 10 of them (in a row) run right? I’m not going to tell you how many we had to do,†he said. “That seems to be a simpler task, to me, than ever executing a play on offense, or defense, or a blitz or whatever. So when I say we’ve made improvement, we have, but are we where we need to be? I’m not sure.â€Â

Otherwise, we are left to guess on whether Saban and staff thinks the team they have inherited are even physically talented enough to match up with the middleweights in the Southeastern Conference, or go toe-to-toe with the big boys, or to hang around with the dregs of the league.

“You’ve got to be careful of getting into comparative analysis, simply because no two teams are alike,†Steele said. “The team that I coached (at Florida State) if I had stayed, is different from the team from last year. Assess it in its proper cycle.â€Â

But hints were dropped to keen observers at BamaMag.com. On the offense, for example, Saban said there would be a whole gamut of all different types of formations and plays known to football. Sounds like a "kitchen sink" or "throw crap against a wall and see what sticks" philosophy to me. Maybe even a little desperation for a really inexperienced OC starting his first season against real SEC Defenses.

As an example of the versatility he is seeking he referred to the 2001 Southeastern Conference Championship game when Rohan Davey (a pocket passer) was being swarmed by Tennessee’s front seven because LSU couldn’t protect the passer. But Davey got hurt and Matt Mauck came into the game and the offense changed to empty backfields and zone reads (where Mauck could go from the shotgun and decide whether to hand the ball off to his running back or keep it himself) and other plays where Mauck could use his legs effectively. LSU came back from a 10-point deficit to win the game.

“We had enough flexibility in our system to feature two different types of quarterbacks and style,†Saban said.

Well, if Alabama still has a lot of holes in its offensive line, and if it can’t protect the quarterback significantly better than it did last year it’s a good bet that John Parker Wilson will be running plays that make him look more like Matt Mauck than Rohan Davey.

As for the big picture for Alabama as the squad enters the spring? Things are subject to change based on gains or losses in the spring, and based on perceptive shifts in the squad based on spring practice and scrimmages, but for now a proper over/under on the number of regular seasons wins Alabama will get next season in Nick Saban’s first year is eight and a half.

I have already seen the expectation level as high as ever in their fans locally. Hell, the tide fans are already naming kids after a coach that hasnt even coached a game yet! Some talk about an :sec: title this year and some talk about a real BCS run, just to prove to the :sec: that bama is back.

It is funny watching the spin already start. While Shula was there, every Bama fan I heard, even BG on this board, said that "Shula was recruiting lights out." If he was, why does the apparent overall view of the team seem so dim? It is apparent to me that Saban is lowering expectations. If you read bewtween the lines CNS is doing a pretty good job of poor mouthing the team, of course some are already responding to this article by saying: JUST LIKE BEAR USED TO DO. Good luck CNS. The bama faithfull will hear not a word of it. They expect much better than 8 wins and they expect it yesterday. Besides, ten wins at bama seems to get you fired the next year anyway.

The delusion in Tuscaloosa is sssooo high that there will be no lowering of expectations. I think it has to do more with that $4M salary and the 24/7/365 hype since your hire, and a big losing record against :ut::lsu: & :au: over the last 6 seasons.

we'll definitely be better than last year! With just average coaching, a vagueness of discipline, and an iota of a S&C program, we would have won at least nine games then. And that was with our toughest games on the road. Dobbs is setting the suckers up.

By Mitch Dobbs

Posted Mar 22, 2007

Understandable.

As Alabama Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele said Thursday, “Obviously we have a philosophy here, and that philosophy is deeply ingrained in the program. That philosophy, from day one, it’s ‘Guys, don’t get into evaluating too much now. Let’s go through the process of teaching and as we get through a cycle of off-season conditioning, strength and conditioning program, then some football, Xs and O learning in the classroom which we haven’t even gotten to yet, then let’s sit down and assess it.”

The reason for that, Steele implied, is so as not to create any false impressions in their own minds or in the minds of outsiders. “So just teach, and that will take care of itself.”

Saban did cop to an obvious and glaring deficiency with the current squad on Thursday, a lack of numbers and a lack of experience in the defensive front seven. And he said that if you have a weak front seven it makes it is more likely their will have to be eight men in the box to stop the run, “which leaves you susceptible to having the ball thrown on you.”

“How many of those do you think we’d have to put our team on the line to do to get 10 of them (in a row) run right? I’m not going to tell you how many we had to do,” he said. “That seems to be a simpler task, to me, than ever executing a play on offense, or defense, or a blitz or whatever. So when I say we’ve made improvement, we have, but are we where we need to be? I’m not sure.”

“You’ve got to be careful of getting into comparative analysis, simply because no two teams are alike,” Steele said. “The team that I coached (at Florida State) if I had stayed, is different from the team from last year. Assess it in its proper cycle.”

“We had enough flexibility in our system to feature two different types of quarterbacks and style,” Saban said.

I like how all the positives in this story were LSU related...... Can't wait for this guy to fall flat on his face......

I wonder what network will hire him after 3 years in Turd-Town?

By Mitch Dobbs

Posted Mar 22, 2007

Understandable.

we'll definitely be better than last year! With just average coaching, a vagueness of discipline, and an iota of a S&C program, we would have won at least nine games then. And that was with our toughest games on the road. Dobbs is setting the suckers up.

You're right Buttplug, if Bama had those things then they might have played Miss. State a little closer.

Better? perhaps, but that won't necessarily be reflected in the win column.

David those expectations you are talking about arent echoed anywhere on the BOL forums. I wish you wouldn't spin it like every bama fan out there expects us to win the SEC.

Because that just isn't the case. Sure there are a few idiots out there...but for every one idiot that I've seen mention that sort of success the first year...I've seen 100 call him stupid.

So please please don't try to make it out to be something its not.

And if you think us expecting to win 8 next year makes us delusional, I think you need to pull your head out of the sand.

I was going to go with 12-0. Just saying... Realistically, I see them winning 8 to 9 games. With a 9 game season being fantastic.

Most bammar fans I know and work with are talking 8 wins. This is with the same team that 2 years ago the bammars were talking that 2007 would be their run at the championship (which one I didn't bother to ask). Now they are willing to "dumb down" this season for cns so that if he does pull off 9 wins, he is the bear-apparant. cns will also play down this year, no matter what kind of talent he has. It only makes him look the savior when/if he does pull a rabbit out of the hat. Do not be surprised at a 8-9 win season. If not, he made no promises and can blame it on the previous staff and lack of talent, discipline, and whatever else excuses he can come up with. Really, he is in a no-lose situation this year.

By Mitch Dobbs

Posted Mar 22, 2007

Understandable.

not only did BG say that shula was recruiting lights out, but he also said that shula actually found top players before anybody else knew about them.. :lol: Making it sound like shula was some sort of recruiting genius or something...which we all know wasn't the case either. Most uat fans that i know are expecting no less than 9 wins and possibly an SEC champ. game birth... They really believe this. They need to worry about beating Mississippi State before they start looking at the big boys of the conference.

Really, he is in a no-lose situation this year.

Unless he only wins 5 games.

Most uat fans that i know are expecting no less than 9 wins and possibly an SEC champ. game birth... They really believe this. They need to worry about beating Mississippi State before they start looking at the big boys of the conference.

It really is amazing the level of delusion that alot of fans are talking about these days. Even the more rational fans are "certain" that Bammer is going to beat Auburn this year. (snickers) For Sho.

I really don't think Saban will have an SEC championship worthy team until 09 and on. If he's even still there by then.

Ryan

I was going to go with 12-0. Just saying... Realistically, I see them winning 8 to 9 games. With a 9 game season being fantastic.

does 9 wins mean that $aban would be on the hot seat?

BG, dont take this stuff personal. But the rest of us were told that 07 was going to be at least an :sec: chamopionship run by Shula et al. Now if the Coaoching has only IMPROVED since he left...well, you get the picture.

There is a disconnect on the past recruiting and the level of play that Saban can get from the boys next season. Saban is doing a wise thing and is deflating the talking, but then again, most bama fans I know absolutely think this is just coach speak. On another note however, if CNS did any talking it would almosty have to appear to be downplaying considering the level of hype the man has gotten this year. They fully expect 10+ wins and a LIKELY :sec: Title in 2007. They fully expect to be better than :au: immediately. They talk about how absolutley scared to death a team like Auburn is now by the overnight hiring of CNS. I had one guy at work bring his friends and get in my face about why ALL Auburn folks were so scared of Saban.

Want to see the level of hype? Watch the reactiion at A-Day game. Look at crowd numbers to be records as folks that dont even know where Tuscaloosa is suddenly try and make the trip. Watch the Caravan to T-Town to have cars painted up like a huge ball game. I have heard rumors that the Bama pep site, whatever it is called, (Twelfth Man etc.) has asked for 250K to come out for A-Day.

Nah, BG, there is nothing but absolutely sane expectations there...RIGHT! ;)

And your friend Finebaum says "we need more, higher expectation!" just adds fuel to the fire.

I was playing in a golf tourney with folks from around the state (so about a 60/40 AU/bammer split). Of course, with the conference and tourney being held in Auburn there was some smack talking going on. After one of the bammers had had enough I guess, he says, "Y'all keep yapping, we've got a new coach now and things are going to be different, y'all will see come November!" Paraphrasing of course. All the others were echoing said sentiment.

It's threads like this that make it really hard to defend ourselves when they say we're obsessed.

Speak for yourself.....I am obsessed! Obsessed with beating them.

BG, dont take this stuff personal. But the rest of us were told that 07 was going to be at least an :sec: chamopionship run by Shula et al. Now if the Coaoching has only IMPROVED since he left...well, you get the picture.

That's what I keep coming back to. They're trying to bury the whole idea but I can't tell you how many times I was told that 2006 would be a tough year, 9 maybe 10 wins tops, but that 2007 was going to be the season Shula and Company knocked the bottom out of the bucket and rolled to the SEC title and at minimum a BCS bid. They would be "back" to their full talent level and 100% loaded for bear.

So what happened? Where is all this talent? What happened to this unstoppable steamrolling machine? Were they delusional then or are they delusional now? Which is it young fellers?

That's what I keep coming back to. They're trying to bury the whole idea but I can't tell you how many times I was told that 2006 would be a tough year, 9 maybe 10 wins tops, but that 2007 was going to be the season Shula and Company knocked the bottom out of the bucket and rolled to the SEC title and at minimum a BCS bid. They would be "back" to their full talent level and 100% loaded for bear.

So what happened? Where is all this talent? What happened to this unstoppable steamrolling machine? Were they delusional then or are they delusional now? Which is it young fellers?

So the people who said that after the 05 season were supposed to be magically be able to read the future? The glaring weaknesses that weren't obvious in 05 showed up worse in 06. And there is this whole thing of a coaching change. Do you HONESTLY think those prognostications made two years ago should be held in stone since they didn't know about a coaching change? Or that it would be needed?

To be honest, at the skill positions, i think we can compete in the upper crust of the SEC. QB, RB, WR, and secondary all look solid. The concern at this point is DLine and Oline depth.

So the people who said that after the 05 season were supposed to be magically be able to read the future? The glaring weaknesses that weren't obvious in 05 showed up worse in 06. And there is this whole thing of a coaching change. Do you HONESTLY think those prognostications made two years ago should be held in stone since they didn't know about a coaching change? Or that it would be needed?

To be honest, at the skill positions, i think we can compete in the upper crust of the SEC. QB, RB, WR, and secondary all look solid. The concern at this point is DLine and Oline depth.

Having good skill players and weak oline and dline makes you equivalent to a directional Louisiana school. If that is the case then uat is 2 years away at best.

Look at it this way...Saban loses three in a row to us, then looks for greener pastures. Once that happens, what sane coach would want to come to the Capstone?

upper crust?? every crust I've ever seen is on the bottom, so to say upper crust are you saying your the best of the bottom?? if so, then i would have to agree with you...except for the MSU thing.

until bammers can find anyone that can pass block they will remain at the bottom of the sec. quentin groves' sack on jpw alone was enough glaring evidence that their optimism should be reigned in at least until they go undefeated against the mid-majors, fsu game will prove very interesting. B)

fsu game will prove very interesting. B)

Sure will be. Two middle of the road schools who once had glory duking it out in a no holds barred pillow fight.

fsu game will prove very interesting. B)

Sure will be. Two middle of the road schools who once had glory duking it out in a no holds barred pillow fight.

May it rain goose feathers.

until bammers can find anyone that can pass block they will remain at the bottom of the sec. quentin groves' sack on jpw alone was enough glaring evidence that their optimism should be reigned in at least until they go undefeated against the mid-majors, fsu game will prove very interesting. B)

I think that FSU will end the year in the Top 10.

Jimbo Fisher is going to make either Drew Weatherford or Xavier Lee a star with that talent that FSU still has....and their D is going to be good as always....especially with an offense that can finally take pressure off them.

Archived