Another whiny democrat that can't get over losing an election

Lawyer Links Rove to Ala. Investigation

A lawyer who claims White House aide Karl Rove may have given assurances that federal authorities were investigating a former Alabama governor said Wednesday that she spoke up because she feared justice had not been served.

Former Gov. Don Siegelman and a former health care executive were convicted last year of federal bribery, conspiracy and mail fraud charges after an investigation that began in 2002. Siegelman was also convicted of obstructing justice.

Jill Simpson, once a campaign worker for Republican Bob Riley, said in a sworn statement last month that Rove may have played a role in the investigation. Rove, one of President Bush's closest aides, has been at the center of turmoil over allegations that the White House has politicized federal investigations.

A prosecutor in the Siegelman case says Rove was not involved.

In November 2002 _ when Simpson says Rove was mentioned as playing a part in the case _ Siegelman, a Democrat, was seeking a recount after narrowly losing to Riley.

Simpson said in the affidavit that Republican operative Bill Canary told her and others in a telephone conference call that he had spoken with Rove, referred to in the document as "Karl," and had been assured the Justice Department was pursuing Siegelman.

Simpson said that Riley's son, Rob Riley, asked about Siegelman being a problem in the future, and that Canary said "not to worry about Don Siegelman that 'his girls would take care of him.'"

The affidavit says Canary identified "his girls" as his wife, Leura Canary, the U.S. attorney in Montgomery; and Alice Martin, the U.S. attorney in Birmingham.

"Rob Riley then asked if he was sure 'these girls' could take care of Don Siegelman and William 'Bill' Canary told him not to worry that he had already gotten it worked out with Karl and Karl had spoken with the Department of Justice and the Department of Justice was already pursuing Don Siegelman," the affidavit said.

Simpson said she was certain "Karl" referred to Karl Rove. Bill Canary had mentioned him often, she said.

Siegelman _ who is free and awaiting sentencing June 26 _ said he has been on the opposite side of Rove politically for more than a decade, "so it does not surprise me at all that he has been placed at the scene of the crime, plotting for my political destruction."

Canary and others said to be in on the phone call have denied that any such conversation took place.

White House spokesman Blair Jones on Wednesday evening declined to comment on the claims.

"We have not seen the affidavit," he said. "So we cannot comment on something we have not seen."

Robert Luskin, an attorney for Rove, did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday.

Simpson told The Associated Press on Wednesday that she gave the affidavit in front of a notary public May 21 because she was concerned the convictions of Siegelman and former HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy might have been a miscarriage of justice.

"I believe honestly that every defendant, rich or poor, has a right to a fair trial. That's why I did what I did," Simpson said.

Martin's investigation of Siegelman in a Medicaid fraud case ended in October 2004, when a judge ruled out key evidence and charges were dropped. Leura Canary in May 2002 stepped down from the investigation that got Siegelman convicted, after the former governor's attorneys demanded her recusal.

"Karl Rove had no role whatsoever in bringing about the investigation or prosecution of former Gov. Don Siegelman," said Louis Franklin, the chief prosecutor in the Siegelman-Scrushy case, speaking for the U.S. attorney's office. "It is intellectually dishonest to even suggest that Mr. Rove influenced or had any input into the decision to investigate or prosecute Don Siegelman."

Bill Canary said Wednesday that he does not remember the phone conversation or ever meeting Simpson.

"As far as I know, I've never spoken to her in my life," said Canary, president of the Business Council of Alabama. "I have never spoken to Karl Rove or to his office or the Department of Justice about prosecuting Don Siegelman."

Rob Riley said he did not recall Canary making the statements attributed to him.

Mark Bollinger, a former aide to a Democratic attorney general and a friend of Simpson's, has signed an affidavit stating that Simpson has told him of the phone call. He said he understands why Simpson waited to reveal details of the call.

"If she had said it in 2002, nobody would have believed her," Bollinger said. That has changed, with President Bush's administration accused of playing politics with Justice Department investigations, he said.

Karl Rove hid my car keys this morning

Oh hell yeah, everyone in Alabama knows that Don Siegelman and Richard Scrushy were innocent.

According to dems, there is little doubt that Karl Rove has a longer reach and interferes with more things than any person in history.

Archived