Castille arrested?

quietfan

One thing that bothered me about the report is where the one officer asks the other about aren't they supposed to call Saban or something like that.

No they shouldn't call Saban, SC is a private citizen being arrested. If I was being arrested as an adult I wouldn't expect the arresting authority to call my boss, teachers, or parent (unless I was underage). Why would there be a need to call Saban? hummm

I'd be willing to bet CTT has a similar arrangement with the Auburn and Opelika police. Head coaches are responsible for the kids that parents entrust to them. I'd all but guarantee CTT wants to know the second one of his players get in trouble with the cops.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that bothered me about the report is where the one officer asks the other about aren't they supposed to call Saban or something like that.

No they shouldn't call Saban, SC is a private citizen being arrested. If I was being arrested as an adult I wouldn't expect the arresting authority to call my boss, teachers, or parent (unless I was underage). Why would there be a need to call Saban? hummm

I'd be willing to bet CTT has a similar arrangement with the Auburn and Opelika police. Head coaches are responsible for the kids that parents entrust to them. I'd all but guarantee CTT wants to know the second one of his players get in trouble with the cops.

TT, I wouldn't doubt it, I bet every D-1 coach has this arrangment, but it's BS. These kids are not kids they are adults responsible for their own decisions. My parents didn't have to have someone hold my hand when I left home at 18. It reaks of special treatment to me and no police agency should ever agree to contact a FOOTBALL coach when an adult is arrested.

I don't see how this removes responsibility from the kid that gets in trouble. I think most of the kids would prefer that they didn't call the coach. If calling coach is special treatment, that treatment sucks because all it's going to do is add to his problems.

I don't see how this removes responsibility from the kid that gets in trouble. I think most of the kids would prefer that they didn't call the coach. If calling coach is special treatment, that treatment sucks because all it's going to do is add to his problems.

I didn't even suggest that it removed responsibility from the player, I'm sure it is made a lot worse by them contacting the coach. Just like it would be made a lot worse for me if I were arrested and the law called my employerer.

I think the special treatment can be infered by the way the "good ole boy' system once worked. By calling coach it leaves it open to questions.

Why does the FOOTBALL coach get a right of notification from the local authorities? Not his school president, not his counselor, not his pastor, not his mother or father but his FOOTBALL coach has an agreement.

just another peg on the PLINKO board of life to show what's wrong with society and our value system.

I don't see the problem. It's actually giving more oversight and scrutiny to the kid which I hardly see as a bad thing. He wants to be in this kid's face about being responsible if he hears of stupid shenanigans and he can do it a lot more effectively than mom and dad who might live hours away. Not to mention, no coach wants to be blindsided by some reporter in the daily presser because said reporter scours the police blotter looking for stories.

I just think your argument is just much ado about nothing. I don't think it's indicative of what you think it is.

I don't see the problem. It's actually giving more oversight and scrutiny to the kid which I hardly see as a bad thing. He wants to be in this kid's face about being responsible if he hears of stupid shenanigans and he can do it a lot more effectively than mom and dad who might live hours away. Not to mention, no coach wants to be blindsided by some reporter in the daily presser because said reporter scours the police blotter looking for stories.

I just think your argument is just much ado about nothing. I don't think it's indicative of what you think it is.

Agree to disagree then.

War Eagle in any case.

Link

Saban says he supports Tide's Castille, but will discipline him

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

IAN R. RAPOPORT

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - University of Alabama coach Nick Saban says he does not condone the behavior of senior Simeon Castille early Sunday morning on the Tuscaloosa strip.

He says he respects the Tuscaloosa Police Department, which arrested Castille for disorderly conduct, because "the police do the right thing."

But Saban was clear about how he believes the incident reflects on the character of the All-Southeastern Conference cornerback.

"Simeon Castille, I will recommend to anybody at any time for any job that he ever wants in America, including the National Football League," Saban said Tuesday, in his first comments addressing the episode. "He's one of the finest young men on our team. (But) poor judgment is not going to be something that we tolerate in this organization. We will correct it internally translation: Do nothing, leave me alone about it."

Castille, who was not available for comment, was at practice Tuesday and appeared to be working in his normal role during drills. He is scheduled to appear in Tuscaloosa Municipal Court Monday at 8:30 a.m.

According to a police report released by the Tuscaloosa Police Department, Castille was being loud on the street and he "continued shouting, cussing and challenging the passengers (of an SUV) to fight him."

Now, Saban says, Castille will face undisclosed internal punishment intended for correction of behavior. Saban provided some hints. see prior translation

"I don't think it's fair to take away what guys actually came to college for, what they worked hard to try to accomplish as players in terms of developing a career," Saban said. "There are other ways that we'll try to correct and improve this situation."

Asked if that meant Castille would not miss a game, Saban said, "I didn't say that." :roflol:Classic catch phrase! It's like Urkle's "Did I Do That?", Michelle Tanner's "You Got It Dude", or Fonzie's "Aayyyy"

Later, he added, "Just suspending them is not always the answer. What have they learned from that?" For instance, as LSU's coach, he had players ride along with the police to better understand the jobs of law-enforcement officers.

When Castille was arrested outside The Jupiter, he was yelling obscenities "with aggressive posture" at a green SUV on University Boulevard, according to the arrest report. The SUV did not move, causing traffic to build up, according to the report.

The shouting was loud enough to be heard over five cars and a crowd of at least 200 people, the report said.. When Officer K.W. Mitchell told Castille he was being detained because of wanting to fight in the street, Castille responded that he was "just kidding with them; that they were his teammates," the report stated.

The report also states that the 21-year old Castille had "been drinking." He was not charged with anything alcohol-related. Cook up some more hat, it's eatin' time!

According to the report, when Mitchell began to handcuff Castille, he turned to a UA police officer and asked, "Don't y'all have to notify Coach Saban?"

Castille was "calm and polite" while being detained, and en route to the station, he asked Mitchell why he was arrested for joking with teammates. Mitchell responded that he was arrested for "the appearance of his attitude in the street and causing traffic to back up," according to the report.

Then Mitchell admonished Castille.

"I also told him he was a member of a nationally recognized school and football team that he was representing in the street, yelling and cussing. The way he was acting was embarrassing to the school and the team," the report stated.

Castille agreed with Mitchell, the report said.

"There is definitely a spotlight on us," defensive end Bobby Greenwood said. "We represent this university. We've got to take it upon ourselves to be careful in everything we do."

Alabama center Antoine Caldwell was on the strip with Castille that night. While admitting he can't see "through the eyes of the police," he said he respects the decision.

"They might have taken that as being aggressive, as being disorderly," Caldwell said. "They have a tough job, a high-profile task they have handling the strip. We cooperate fully with what they do."

Upon being booked, Castille "stated that this was going to hurt his draft status and appeared to be crying," the report said.

Saban, the former Miami Dolphins coach, implied that it would not severely hamper Castille's pro stock.

"I think people should look at what he's done good, relative to this incident," Saban said, "and try to create proper balance with really the kind of character he has and who he is." Castille was the fourth Crimson Tide football player known to have been arrested in the past two months. Football players Brandon Deaderick, Brandon Fanney and Roy Upchurch were arrested for their role in a disturbance on the Strip on July 14.

"I don't think that does or says anything about the kind of program this is," Saban said, adding, "it's disappointing."

Saban believes nothing good happens after midnight, but he said he does not have a curfew or places deemed off-limits to players. It's a free country, he said, and he'd rather spend his time getting players to "do it the right way rather than saying they can't do it."

If the issues persist, "then we'll have to address it a different way in the future," he said.

The report also states that the 21-year old Castille had "been drinking." He was not charged with anything alcohol-related. Cook up some more hat, it's eatin' time!

He wasn't charged with PI. So that means it wasn't alcohol related.

Good thing he wasn't charged. But those mean ol' TPD were just looking for anything to stick him with... rolleyes:

Link

The report also noted that Castille was "shouting very loudly in a deep, aggressive tone of voice. He was loud enough to be heard almost a block away over five cars and a crowd of at least 200 people that were between us.

"The other clues included his bouncing back and forth in the street and raising his hand in the air as if to say, 'Here I am, come get me.' "

The SUV turned onto a side street and Castille continued to shout at its occupants, "cussing and challenging the passengers to fight him," according to the report.

I swear the more I read about this the more I can't believe BG can defend his statements about how the poor angel was being attacked for no reason by the big bad corrupt TPD. And then when we offered a "Well maybe it went more like this" which turned out to be pretty much exactly what happened we were just irrational Auburn homers who had to assume the absolute worst.

Good thing he wasn't charged. But those mean ol' TPD were just looking for anything to stick him with... rolleyes:

Link

The report also noted that Castille was "shouting very loudly in a deep, aggressive tone of voice. He was loud enough to be heard almost a block away over five cars and a crowd of at least 200 people that were between us.

"The other clues included his bouncing back and forth in the street and raising his hand in the air as if to say, 'Here I am, come get me.' "

The SUV turned onto a side street and Castille continued to shout at its occupants, "cussing and challenging the passengers to fight him," according to the report.

I swear the more I read about this the more I can't believe BG can defend his statements about how the poor angel was being attacked for no reason by the big bad corrupt TPD. And then when we offered a "Well maybe it went more like this" which turned out to be pretty much exactly what happened we were just irrational Auburn homers who had to assume the absolute worst.

Wow. You couldn't be more wrong. Nor could you be more guilty of attempted revisionist history.

Why don't you go back and read what I've posted? 99% of my comments were defending him against someone who said he was a "punk" another a "thug" and another "not a good kid".

You said:

It is more likely than not that they tried this approach, and he started smart talking them with "Don't you know who I am" type of comments. Talk back to the police enough and they're not going to cut you a break. No, he's not a thug for this incident, but yes he is guilty of the minor charges he is being accused of.

Stop always making excuses and looking for someone else to blame.

Yet the police report indicates the OPPOSITE of that. And I argued that you shouldn't just "assume" that he's going to talk back to the police. And I have been proven right by the police report.

In 13 pages, I said one thing about Ttown police should be ashamed. After I read the police report I said they were "well within their rights" to arrest him.

Again, what have I said that was unreasonable? And what in the police report indicates that he was anything short of polite and compliant after being approached by the officer?

This is pretty typical when certain indiBGviduals don't get something. Let's see how long it goes...It'll be funny.

C'mon. It's my birthday. Let me have my fun ;)

Wow. You couldn't be more wrong. Nor could you be more guilty of attempted revisionist history.

Why don't you go back and read what I've posted? 99% of my comments were defending him against someone who said he was a "punk" another a "thug" and another "not a good kid".

You said:

It is more likely than not that they tried this approach, and he started smart talking them with "Don't you know who I am" type of comments. Talk back to the police enough and they're not going to cut you a break. No, he's not a thug for this incident, but yes he is guilty of the minor charges he is being accused of.

Stop always making excuses and looking for someone else to blame.

Yet the police report indicates the OPPOSITE of that. And I argued that you shouldn't just "assume" that he's going to talk back to the police. And I have been proven right by the police report.

In 13 pages, I said one thing about Ttown police should be ashamed. After I read the police report I said they were "well within their rights" to arrest him.

Again, what have I said that was unreasonable? And what in the police report indicates that he was anything short of polite and compliant after being approached by the officer?

Classic BG tactic, yet again.

You minimize your speculation that the TPD was completely out of line in the arrest and that they were the real enemies here, while simultaneously inflating my hypothetical scenario that explained why in the angelic scenario in which he truly did nothing wrong he might have gotten arrested anyway. Amazing. It's the same logic that grants uat 12 National Championships while granting Auburn 1/2 in the minds of a bammer. Well, it turns out he did do something wrong so that hypothetical doesn't even apply. Also, he had been drinking so he's lucky that the cop went easy on him and didn't include that in the report.

Now let's play everyone's favorite game, use BG's own words against him.

From what is coming out about this story, Simeon should receive ZERO punishment.

The TPD should be ashamed. ASHAMED.

Since when is "Wrong place wrong time" University Blvd (not on the strip) in a NON ALCOHOL related joking with teammates?

Yeah, if football players are outside bars raising hell, and "playing around" whatever that means, let it go. They can do whatever they want.

No bars on bryant dr. Nice try though homer.

Bottom line, if Saben properly handles this you will not see any of the four players until the third game. If they play before then, then it is Shula all over again. Sitting them for the first game would be a joke since they are playing the East-Southeast Carolina Plumbing and Cosmetology School.

I think Deaderick should be suspended. I don't think Simeon has done anything to warrant a suspension. I fully expect the charges to be dropped. There wasn't even alcohol involved. Tell me what Simeon did wrong based on what we know now.

He's a thug because he likes to horse around with his teammates? ESPECIALLY considering he likes to horse around without being intoxicated. Wow...what a thug.

What's up with the "probably more like" fill in the blank? You don't know what happened, so why are you ASSUMING worse than what's actually being reported? That isn't fair.

I'm not making excuses and I'm not looking for someone else to blame. Stop projecting just because I'm a Bama fan.

I guess his parents should just shut up and take it too? In this case, I think the TPD was wrong. I think cops can sometimes get a little power happy. And that's probably what happened here. In the Deaderick situation, I don't remember many Alabama fans saying it wasn't his fault. Plenty of threads on BOL saying the kid should be kicked off the team actually.

I really believe you spin so hard that even you forget what your initial position was.

From the initial reports, I was dissapointed in the TPD. I later amended my response based on the facts in the police report.

But my initial stance about Simeon probably being compliant proved to be true. That is, if you believe the police report.

Why are you making such a big deal out of it now?

Here's how I see it:

Simeon was horsing around, loudly.

The cop probably should have told him to move it along. Maybe even cuffed him to be safe...but once he found out the whole story, should have let him go.

Even still, well within his rights to arrest him.

After initial contact, Simeon proved to be well mannered and compliant.

So you DO agree that he should have, or at least been exposed to an arrest being made for the actions he was ultimately responsible for? (Regardless of how much a gentleman he was AFTER the cuffs were on and he was busted....)

Sounds like it.

So you DO agree that he should have, or at least been exposed to an arrest being made for the actions he was ultimately responsible for? (Regardless of how much a gentleman he was AFTER the cuffs were on and he was busted....)

Sounds like it.

I don't think he should have been arrested. I think that was over the top. But I do think Simeon was guilty of causing a disturbance. And by the strict interpretation of the law, they were well within their rights to arrest him.

I just think, especially after the cop got the story, he should have let him go. For safety sake, I think it was right to cuff him. Because the cop didn't know what was going on at first.

Sounds like it.

I don't think he should have been arrested. I think that was over the top. But I do think Simeon was guilty of causing a disturbance. And by the strict interpretation of the law, they were well within their rights to arrest him.

I just think, especially after the cop got the story, he should have let him go. For safety sake, I think it was right to cuff him. Because the cop didn't know what was going on at first.

Ummm...so uh, In other words, you DO agree that it was well within the rights, as determined by the officer, that an arrest was made?

The officer WAS there and talking to witnesses... You Do know that..right?

So I guess there was enough probable cause to get SC away from the scene, via an arrest. Interesting...

...but I guess this is all us just being Auburn fans seeing it for what it is on an Auburn board....

Right?

I think my answer was more than sufficient. You can continue to try and brow beat me and the issue. But you've got my answer.

Read the police report. If you still think Simeon is some sort of criminal after that, then you are looking hard through Auburn glasses.

I think my answer was more than sufficient. You can continue to try and brow beat me and the issue. But you've got my answer.

Read the police report. If you still think Simeon is some sort of criminal after that, then you are looking hard through Auburn glasses.

You DO know that, even admitting yourself that "by the letter of the law" everything happened as it should have...right? So BG, is it possible that maybe it's YOU looking through Crimson Colored glasses that pushes you to believe that maybe he should have been let go without an arrest?

Is it possible?? You DO know that Auburn University and the posters at AUnation don't write, nor enforce the laws in the State of Alabama...right?

Again, my answer is sufficient. You can keep banging your head against the wall, but I'm done with this thread.

It's way too long as it is.

By the way...you should put more space between the lines in your posts...they aren't long enough as it is.

Archived