Castille arrested?

quietfan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where does it say that a suspension of a player for x amount of games makes a coach a great discliplinarian? Most of the coaches that have done this only suspend them for the games that he expects to win, and for the first big game the player has suddenly paid his dues. I think that there can be some punishment that is worst than sitting out the Western Carolina game.

In my opinion punishment should be something really demeaning that the entire team has to do, and each time someone gets in trouble it would effect the whole team (like Joe Pa did at Penn State..making the players clean the stadium after each game). After a few times of these, the players would take care of the offender themselves, and the coach wouldn't have to step in.

I am fine with that as long as the public knows about it. Shula never took care of the problems in his program. If you do not do it publicly then you have done anything at all. Saben needs to send a message to the public as much as the players. That message needs to be, "Alabama is no longer a rouge program where the inmates run the assylum." No matter what punishment Saben hands down if he does not make it public then he has not done anything. Perception is reality. The national perception of Alabama football over the past few decades is they are so desperate to regain the glory of one twenty-year span that they have become a program that will do anything to win.

Swear to God, the typical bammer guy at my office just said the following to me.

"So Auburn's paying the cops in Tuscaloosa now, huh? Or is it that that's all you can do with an Auburn degree? Become a Tuscaloosa PD officer?"

You know how you have to be civil and subtle with office smack so I just responded "Well, Saban's a great disciplinarian and all unlike Shula, so surely he'll take care of it."

He then said "How's Auburn doing?"

I replied "Staying out of jail," and walked away.

I had a redneck teenager fly by me today w/ his window down screaming Roll Tide and flicking me off and then I pulled next to him and yelled War Eagle 5 in a row and he starts yelling something about there overall record you know just living in the past. . .

That message needs to be, "Alabama is no longer a rouge program ..."

What, they don't want their pretty cheeks matching their dark pink jerseys anymore? But I guess they're tired of being considered a rogue program, also.

[No offense, rebdawg....just your typo followed by the mental image of the Crimson Tide in make up cracked me up! :roflol: ]

Back to Castille for a second. The "offense" sounds minor. So was Tray Blackmon's but the biggest transgression there was how the staff found out. He got slapped around for it by both the coaches AND his team mates. The issue with Castille is not so much what happened. Forget all the back and forth about being arrested and deserving it and being a punk etc. He's still a college kid and I'm sorry but minor stuff like this is par for the course. Regardless, I'm sure it's a violation of team rules and this will all come back to how CNS handles it.

The more pressing question on my mind is how many more Castille's can play at Alabama?

I think the Palmers are on deck.

The Palmers should carry the tradition quite well.

Shelby County Sherif's Office

The more pressing question on my mind is how many more Castille's can play at Alabama?

There is one more on the way... And he is supposedly better than all three, that coming from Tim, Simeon, and Mr. Castille. I'm pretty sure they said he was a DB/WR and he may play a little RB for Briarwood. I think he's in Junior High or by now he might be a freshman.

I guess the Castilles are going to take over the #1 slot from either the Goodes or Britts huh?

His name is Caleb Castille, and I believe he is a sophomore at Briarwood this year.

Actually, the Goodes haven't produced any offspring that have played for Bama yet. I keep wondering if they never had sons or what.

Update:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

Castille's arrest called `lawful'

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

TUSCALOOSA - University of Alabama cornerback Simeon Castille's arrest for disorderly conduct early Sunday morning was "lawful," according to Tuscaloosa police spokesman Capt. Greg Kosloff.

Kosloff did not provide additional details of the incident because the investigation is ongoing, but he disagreed with the views of Simeon's father Jeremiah. Early Monday, the former Tide All-American said the arrest "wasn't warranted."

"I certainly understand a parent taking up for his child," Kosloff said later in the day. "But this is something that was lawful. We're not going to respond to that. That's why you have the courts."

"Every element that fit that crime falls under the disorder conduct (crime)," Kosloff said. "It has been turned over to the court now to decide innocence or guilt."

Under Alabama law, disorderly conduct is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by up to three months in prison. Descriptions include "intent to cause public inconvenience," making "unreasonable noise," using "abusive or obscene language" and obstructing "vehicular or pedestrian traffic.

Tuscaloosa County District Attorney Tommy Smith did not respond to calls seeking comment. An offense report was not made, and the arrest report is available only by subpoena.

Alabama coach Nick Saban was not made available for comment Monday, but he is expected to address the media today.

Those close to Simeon Castille, who had six interceptions and three fumble recoveries in 2006 while making 71 tackles, say after hearing his side of the story, he did nothing to deserve an arrest.

On Sunday, family friend Tommy Jackson, the Briarwood Christian assistant coach, said Castille and other players "were clowning around, kind of yelling and screaming to each other, from the sidewalk to a car. The police overheard it and took it as serious."

Obviously it's somewhat of a judgement call by the police officer on how disruptive the behavior is, but I can see how horsing around on a sidewalk, shouting to traffic (particularly if the traffic stops to respond and blocks other vehicles), possibly wrestling, etc. could be seen as "intent to cause public inconvenience," making "unreasonable noise," using "abusive or obscene language" and obstructing "vehicular or pedestrian traffic." Seems like more than one of the group would have been arrested, however, since all descriptions seem to imply several persons were involved in the horseplay.

It will be interesting to see what Saban has to say if/when he holds a press conference today since he loves the media so much. :rolleyes:

I just can't believe all the Bama fans making excuses for this kid. And don't come at me with all this he's a good kid crap.

Listening to the radio yesterday evening and this morning you would of thought theTPD did something wrong.

There's more to life than football Bama fans.....

I just can't believe all the Bama fans making excuses for this kid. And don't come at me with all this he's a good kid crap.

Listening to the radio yesterday evening and this morning you would of thought theTPD did something wrong.

You done gone an done it now!

Actin like there is something other than football.

He is a good kid. Unless you know him personally, I don't think you are in any position to argue otherwise. I think it's pretty sad that you'd make judgment on someone based on where they play football.

That message needs to be, "Alabama is no longer a rouge program ..."

What, they don't want their pretty cheeks matching their dark pink jerseys anymore? But I guess they're tired of being considered a rogue program, also.

[No offense, rebdawg....just your typo followed by the mental image of the Crimson Tide in make up cracked me up! :roflol: ]

No I was going for a double entendre on the uniform color and, uh . . . er, I'm an idiot. I knew I should have used spell check.

I think it's pretty sad that you'd make judgment on someone based on where they play football.

If a woman walks down the street wearing really short shorts, thingies bobbling everywhere and too much make up, she may not be a hooker, but she is wearing the uniform.

If a young kid has long hair, a leather jacket, and an earing he may not be a hoodlum, but he is wearing the uniform.

Simeon may not be a thug, but he is wearing the uniform.

I think it's pretty sad that you'd make judgment on someone based on where they play football.

If a woman walks down the street wearing really short shorts, thingies bobbling everywhere and too much make up, she may not be a hooker, but she is wearing the uniform.

If a young kid has long hair, a leather jacket, and an earing he may not be a hoodlum, but he is wearing the uniform.

Simeon may not be a thug, but he is wearing the uniform.

He's a thug because he likes to horse around with his teammates? ESPECIALLY considering he likes to horse around without being intoxicated. Wow...what a thug.

Look, I'm not saying he's a thug or a punk or anything like that.

Wrong place, wrong time probably applies here.

But he DID get arrested, and there WERE grounds for the arrest.

He was causing a public disturbance which were what the charges brought against him were for.

He may not have had a gun and pot on him, but in Tusacaloosa that's an ice-cream worthy offense, so anything less is just pure injustice!

He was out at two AM yelling profanities at excessive volume, rough housing in public, and yelling at cars disrupting the flow of traffic. That's grounds for public disturbance. The police could have told him just to move along, but they didn't have to. It is more likely than not that they tried this approach, and he started smart talking them with "Don't you know who I am" type of comments. Talk back to the police enough and they're not going to cut you a break. No, he's not a thug for this incident, but yes he is guilty of the minor charges he is being accused of.

Stop always making excuses and looking for someone else to blame.

Cops, Castilles at odds

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

By GENTRY ESTES

Sports Reporter

TUSCALOOSA -- Simeon Castille's family fired back against the Tuscaloosa Police Department on Monday, saying the Alabama cornerback's early Sunday morning arrest on disorderly conduct charges was undeserved.

"He did absolutely nothing wrong," said his mother, Jean Castille.

According to the account relayed by Simeon Castille, he was horsing around with teammates on "The Strip," an area of stores and nightspots on University Boulevard near campus.

Jean Castille said police approached the group of young men and asked if they were about to fight each other. Castille responded "no," that these were his teammates.

"The next thing he knows he's cuffed and in jail for disorderly conduct," she said. "This officer wouldn't listen to him. They begged him. ... He wielded his authority like a bully."

Castille, 21 and an All-SEC performer, was booked into Tuscaloosa County Jail at 3:30 a.m. Sunday and released on $500 bond at 4:25 a.m. He was charged with a Class C misdemeanor, which carries a fine of no more than $500 and no more than three months in jail.

His preliminary court date has been set for Aug. 27, five days before the Crimson Tide's season opener against Western Carolina.

Police have not released Castille's arrest report, saying the investigation is ongoing and witnesses have yet to be interviewed. Spokesman Capt. Greg Kosloff said Sunday that alcohol was not a factor in the arrest. "There was not a fight of any kind," he said. "He met the elements of disorderly conduct and that's why he was arrested."

On Monday, he responded to Jean Castille's account by saying the TPD stands behind the actions of the arresting officer.

"We're taking the stance that the officer made a lawful arrest. The arrest fit the crime that night for disorderly conduct," Kosloff said. "That's her son, and I certainly understand she wants to take up for her son, but that's why they have courts."

Police aren't planning to release additional information about the investigation until Castille appears in court Aug. 27, according to Kosloff. "The true facts will come out in court," he said.

Sunday's incident increased to four the number of Crimson Tide football players arrested on "The Strip" this summer. Defensive lineman Brandon Deaderick (criminal mischief, resisting arrest and providing a false name), linebacker Brandon Fanney (disorderly conduct) and tailback Roy Upchurch (disorderly conduct) were arrested during the same July 14 incident.

Castille told his parents that police responded to the fact he was an Alabama football player.

"Once he told this officer who he was," Jean Castille said, "he was like 'Oh, I'm taking you to jail.'" Probably more like "Don't you know who I am? You can't arrest me, I'm Simeon Castille!", which probably pissed the cops off more than anything

The family's lawyers have discussed the case with authorities. Alabama coach Nick Saban was expected to meet Monday with Simeon Castille. His father Jeremiah, a former Tide player, traveled from his Birmingham home to be with his son.

No punishment or comment has been issued publicly by Saban.

"Coach Saban has been pleased with Simeon," Jean Castille said. "They have a great relationship. This was the last thing he wanted to do. He wants to do the right thing. He wants to be a leader for his teammates. He doesn't want to disappoint his family or his coach.

"It's just very unfortunate."

What's up with the "probably more like" fill in the blank? You don't know what happened, so why are you ASSUMING worse than what's actually being reported? That isn't fair.

I'm not making excuses and I'm not looking for someone else to blame. Stop projecting just because I'm a Bama fan.

I took offense to someone calling Simeon a thug. I know Simeon personally and know what kind of family he came from. Calling him a thug couldn't be more off base.

Why does that make me irrational? Why does that mean I'm making excuses? Did I make an excuse for Deaderick? No I did not.

He is a good kid. Unless you know him personally, I don't think you are in any position to argue otherwise. I think it's pretty sad that you'd make judgment on someone based on where they play football.

You're totally missing the point BG. I'm not saying Simeon is a bad kid at all but your fan base’s reaction to this is down right embarrassing. It's always someone else's fault when something goes bad in Tuscaloosa. Part of being a man is owning up to mistakes you make and not trying to shift blame. Did you see this kind of belly aching when some of our guys had problems with the law? NO!!!

But just go back to what you and your kind do best, spin baby spin.

You're totally missing the point BG. I'm not saying Simeon is a bad kid at all but your fan base’s reaction to this is down right embarrassing. It's always someone else's fault when something goes bad in Tuscaloosa. Part of being a man is owning up to mistakes you make and not trying to shift blame. Did you see this kind of belly aching when some of our guys had problems with the law? NO!!!

But just go back to what you and your kind do best, spin baby spin.

I guess his parents should just shut up and take it too? In this case, I think the TPD was wrong. I think cops can sometimes get a little power happy. And that's probably what happened here. In the Deaderick situation, I don't remember many Alabama fans saying it wasn't his fault. Plenty of threads on BOL saying the kid should be kicked off the team actually.

Archived