Castille arrested?

quietfan

I don't care if a student is intoxicated or if it was the "fault of the police." That's bogus. If a kid is in a situation to get arrested, it is their own damn fault. Anyone that gets arrested is a punk and deserves it - whether they are from Auburn FB player, Alabama FB player, or just a regular Joe.

Call it "being a student and college is the time of your life." I don't want to hear it. I never got arrested. My friends haven't. You can have fun without getting yourself in these situations.

Yet again, you prove to everyone here that you are a full on idiot. Yes...you are an idiot.

There's a reason why everyone here hates your posts.

Pretty harsh words. 5 years of frustration unleashed on PChamp (although he can be kind of a douche sometimes).

Pretty harsh words??? You should do a search on pchamp. This is average at best.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chizad, I never said YOU said he was a thug. I was defending Castille to someone on this thread who did...then you started replying to my posts that were in Castille's defense.

Again, I don't absolve anyone just because they play for Alabama. I didn't absolve Deaderick, nor did I do so for JPW. Nor did I for Britt.

I know Simeon and he's not a thug. I read the police report, and I can't surmise from that ...that he's a thug. Especially since the arresting officer mentioned in the report how compliant, and even polite Simeon was.

Why am I wrong for taking up for him? I'd do the same for an AU player in this case.

I'm not assuming the best. I'm assuming the Castille family isn't a bunch of liars. I'm assuming the witness reports are not lies.

All we have to go on are the facts and witness reports, and what Simeon's parents are saying.

Simeon is a really good guy. And his dad is one of the most genuinely respectable men I've ever met. Tim doesn't party as hard as his brother, but Simeon is a pretty stand up dude.

And those witness's wouldn't view things in a better light for Simeon would they? How many times have you seen one or more parent of an accused person spouting off about how great the accused is?

One Scott Peterson comes to mind.

What's up with the "probably more like" fill in the blank? You don't know what happened, so why are you ASSUMING worse than what's actually being reported? That isn't fair.

Seriously, take off the Crimson glasses for just a second. Imagine this is some random kid at UGA or LSU or something.

Which is more of a stretch to believe?

A- The police arrested this kid for zero reason as he was minding his own business walking down the street at 2am in the bar district. He did nothing to cause any disturbance or draw any attention to himself but the police are sadistic so they picked him out at random. He submissively gets into the police car without saying a word in his defense.

B-He was causing a scene, "disturbing the peace", yelling obscenities at his fellow teammates whom he saw drive down the strip. Held up the flow of traffic by doing so. A policeman noticed the commotion and told him to move along. He mouths off to the police telling him he's Simeon Castille, an Alabama Captain (remember he himself claims that when he told them who he was was when the police lost their patience with him). The cops then exercise their authority and slap him with the charges, which they have every right to do. After telling him to move along, if he would have apologized and complied, all would be forgotten and everyone would have gone about their night, but he chose to mouth off so they decided not to look the other way just because they can.

When was the last time you were arrested for doing absolutely nothing wrong, walking down the street minding your own business and after being unwarrantably hassled by the cops, complied submissively and still got thrown in the back of a police car?

I never said he wasn't disturbing the public. He may or may not have deserved to be arrested. I simply defended him to someone who called him a thug.

Why does it bother you so much that I take offense to someone calling him a thug? Why why why? You are so INSANELY full of hate for Alabama that you can't even grant a concession that MAYBE...just maybe...there's a player who chose to play for UA who doesn't belong in prison.

Again, it all boils down to the delusion you people have. You think there's something GRAND that makes an 18 year old pick Auburn...and something internally sinister and criminal about someone who chose to Alabama. And that's stupid. THEY ARE ALL 18 YEAR OLD KIDS. Kids who go to Alabama are no different that those who go to Auburn.

For those of you calling Simeon a thug...for a NON Violent, NON Alcohol related instance...were you lining up to post that Tray Blackmon was a thug? I don't think so.

Don't tell me to act like it's some kid who plays for LSU or UGA...I don't have a history of calling out some 20 year old kid JUST because of the school he chose.

A couple of weeks ago I emailed Shane(Paul Finebaum) in regard to his article that TT was easy on discipline. He had said he didn't want Saben to be like TT (no discipline). Shane was very critical of Blackmon. I emailed him and asked exactly what Blackmon had done because I sure didn't know. I emailed me back and said Blackman was a thug and would disappoint TT, me and the Auburn faithful. Never said what Blackmon did.

All jokes aside, my opinion now that some more of the story has come out.

I have heard the police report read (as many people have now) and I believe that Castille was innocent of everything except poor judgment. There are seven examples that the Alabama penal code lists for the charge of disorderly conduct, Castille violated five of them. The two he did not violate are the extreme (violence perpetrated) examples.

I believe that the officer's actions were the absolute best in this circumstance. If he lets Castille go then there is backlash from opponents to athletics (see professors and geeks) that he was only let go because he was a football player. Furthermore, if he lets him go and there is a serious confrontation the officer is then at risk for not having prevented the problem when he had the chance. Remember this is a street that has seen a lot of action in a town that has the highest violent crime rate of any city with a population under 100,000. It is a tough beat.

I know that Castille says that he was just playing around with some friends (and I believe him), but every time a policemen breaks up a fight the first thing he hears is, “We're just messing around. We weren't really fighting.” So true or not he is trained to ignore that line. All fights are treated as real.

The officer knew that if they were really just playing around that all charges would be dropped and nothing would go on the record. The quick release from jail is a testament to that.

Castille gets a very valuable life lesson – whether you are joking or not it is never a good idea to stand in the middle of the street screaming obscenities and making threats . . . at 2 in the morning . . . in a neighborhood with a violent history . . . with 200 witnesses around . . . and a bunch of cops a block away . . . when you are the star player of a notable football team . . . a few weeks after three teammates were arrested . . . for fighting . . . in the same neighborhood.

From what the report says about Castille's actions after the epiphany of the seriousness of the situation, the lesson has been learned.

I think it's pretty sad that you'd make judgment on someone based on where they play football.

If a woman walks down the street wearing really short shorts, thingies bobbling everywhere and too much make up, she may not be a hooker, but she is wearing the uniform.

If a young kid has long hair, a leather jacket, and an earing he may not be a hoodlum, but he is wearing the uniform.

Simeon may not be a thug, but he is wearing the uniform.

He's a thug because he likes to horse around with his teammates? ESPECIALLY considering he likes to horse around without being intoxicated. Wow...what a thug.

Struggle with reading comprehension, BG? The point I most elegantly made (but was apparently lost on you in the translation from metaphor to cognitive) was that even the most saintly person will be perceived as a hoodlum if they act like one in front of people who do not know better.

Arrrest report details & Saban comments:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama coach Nick Saban stared into the cameras Tuesday and had plenty to say about Sunday's arrest of cornerback and team leader Simeon Castille.

What he did not say is if Castille's punishment would include a suspension.

"It's not OK to get arrested for disorderly conduct, but there are degrees of things," Saban said. "I think people should look at what he's done good relative to this incident and try to create proper balance with the kind of character he has

Saban said he had decided on and issued his punishment for the incident, noting Castille "certainly received a tremendous amount of punishment and embarrassment relative to what he did.

"Suspending them is not always the answer," Saban went on to say. "What have they learned from that?"

While Saban did not condone actions that landed Castille in jail on a disorderly conduct charge, he defended Castille as "one of the finest young men on our team."

Castille practiced with the Crimson Tide on Tuesday afternoon, less than three days after an arrest that Tuscaloosa Police defended in the arrest report as action to deter "what appeared to be an ugly fight waiting to happen in the middle of University Boulevard."

Police observed Castille standing in the street around 2 a.m. Sunday near the Jupiter Bar and Grill on "The Strip," screaming obscenities at passengers of a green sport utility vehicle that was "causing traffic to back up."

"He was shouting very loudly in a deep, aggressive tone of voice," wrote the arresting officer, Kevin Mitchell. "He was loud enough to be heard almost a block away over five cars."

Mitchell said the SUV turned onto 13th Avenue when he approached. Castille allegedly gave chase and "continued shouting, cussing and challenging the passengers to fight him." Mitchell reported that he caught up with Castille, grabbed him by his arm and placed him against the wall of the Crimson Café coffee house.

"The suspect moved with ease as I had taken him by surprise and he was unsure how to react," Mitchell wrote. "Once against the wall he wanted to shout at me that he wasn't doing anything but calmed down after a few seconds."

Castille, 21, had been drinking, according to the arrest report. But TPD spokesman Greg Kosloff has maintained that alcohol was not a factor in the arrest, and Mitchell's narrative did not mention alcohol.

State law says a person can, among other ways, be charged with disorderly conduct by using obscene language in a public place or obstructing vehicular or pedestrian traffic.

Police said that upon being questioned about his behavior, Castille said he was only kidding and wasn't trying to fight the passengers of the SUV, who were teammates. A crowd was building at the scene, the report stated, and Castille "wanted to know why he was being arrested for joking with his friends."

"I told him it was because of the way he did it," Mitchell wrote. "The appearance of his attitude in the street and causing traffic to back up when traffic was heavy and there was such a large crowd on the sidewalk.

"I also told him that he was a member of a nationally recognized school and football team that he was representing while in the street yelling and cussing ... the way he was acting was embarrassing to the school and team."

Mitchell also wrote in his arrest report that before Castille was transported to the county jail "the suspect stated that this was going to hurt his (NFL) draft status and squatted against the wall and appeared to be crying."

Castille was not made available for interviews after Tuesday's practice. Other Alabama players were told not to comment on the arrest, according to quarterback John Parker Wilson, although some offered support for Castille.

"We are targets," said center Antoine Caldwell, who was at the scene of Castille's arrest. "It is high-profile when we're out on the town and people know you and stuff like that. You've got to be smart about what you're doing, be smart about where you're at."

Saban spoke with players involved and, in an odd turn, said he shared information with police when he learned it. There are no ill feelings about the incident, Saban insisted, although Castille's parents have argued their son did nothing wrong and was treated unfairly by Mitchell.

TPD has said it stands by the arrest. Castille, the fourth Alabama football player arrested on "The Strip" this summer, has a court date set for Monday.

"I tell the players all the time there's nothing good that I know happens after 12 o'clock at night," Saban said. "Obviously, there's been a lot of problems with college students and behavior on 'The Strip.' This is something that our players have to be above."

Asked if he plans to institute a curfew or make certain areas off limits to players, Saban said he never has done that and unless something changes, he doesn't intend to at Alabama .

"This is a free country," Saban said. "I do think you ought to be able to go where you want to go and do what you want to do and act the right way."

Chizad, I never said YOU said he was a thug. I was defending Castille to someone on this thread who did...then you started replying to my posts that were in Castille's defense.

Again, I don't absolve anyone just because they play for Alabama. I didn't absolve Deaderick, nor did I do so for JPW. Nor did I for Britt.

I know Simeon and he's not a thug. I read the police report, and I can't surmise from that ...that he's a thug. Especially since the arresting officer mentioned in the report how compliant, and even polite Simeon was.

Why am I wrong for taking up for him? I'd do the same for an AU player in this case.

But BG, you're sticking up for a guy, horsing around or no, who was standing out on the street SCREAMING the F-word at his "buddies". Would you want your wife/gf/ or kids subjected to that? What kind of example is that??? We put up with too much of that stuff. And That ALONE is disorderly conduct. If he's doing that, he may not be a thug, but he'a DEFINITELY a PUNK!!!

:au::homer:

Again, I've been guilty of screaming profanities. If that alone was an arrestable offense, how many AU fans would have gone to jail during/after the UGA game last year?

A 21 year old football player who uses the F word? Say it isn't so.

how many AU fans would have gone to jail during/after the UGA game last year?

Well I was there and I would not have gone to jail. I did not hear anyone else that would have gone to jail for that. I guess that really is the big difference here. You find it acceptable and we don't.

Well I was there and I would not have gone to jail. I did not hear anyone else that would have gone to jail for that. I guess that really is the big difference here. You find it acceptable and we don't.

I haven't seen that many people singling out the use of profanity. I know there are plenty of people here who have used profanity in public. You can act all pious and criminalize a 21 year old who uses the F word. But I'm telling you, it doesn't make him a bad person. And I don't think it's worthy of going to jail.

However, I wasn't there. So I don't know how big of a scene he was causing. The police report did not indicate he is a bad person. It indicated that he was well mannered and compliant. He just happens to use profanity.

Are you seriously going to make judgements about a 21 year old because he uses profanity? And I have left JHS after you guys WON a game and had streams of F bombs hurled at me. JHS is still public right?

BG, the point here is you hear about this arrest and you immediately absolve Castille of any blame, and rationalize that the Tuscaloosa Police Department is crooked and have it out for the University of Alabama football program. It's not possible that one of your teams' captains could have gotten out of line and actually been guilty for the misdemeanor for which they were charged. Then in the next breath you jump all over me someone about how I they assume the worst possible scenario because I'm they're a blind homer when it is suggested that he actually did something worthy of the charges that were brought upon him, meanwhile you paint this unlikely fairy tale and anyone who doesn't think that is the most likely scenario just has it out for the guy because he plays for bammer.

And by the way he was drinking. He wasn't charged with public intox, but he was drinking.

I'd say you should eat a little houndstooth for statements made in this thread.

All jokes aside, my opinion now that some more of the story has come out.

I have heard the police report read (as many people have now) and I believe that Castille was innocent of everything except poor judgment. There are seven examples that the Alabama penal code lists for the charge of disorderly conduct, Castille violated five of them. The two he did not violate are the extreme (violence perpetrated) examples.

I believe that the officer's actions were the absolute best in this circumstance. If he lets Castille go then there is backlash from opponents to athletics (see professors and geeks) that he was only let go because he was a football player. Furthermore, if he lets him go and there is a serious confrontation the officer is then at risk for not having prevented the problem when he had the chance. Remember this is a street that has seen a lot of action in a town that has the highest violent crime rate of any city with a population under 100,000. It is a tough beat.

I know that Castille says that he was just playing around with some friends (and I believe him), but every time a policemen breaks up a fight the first thing he hears is, “We're just messing around. We weren't really fighting.†So true or not he is trained to ignore that line. All fights are treated as real.

The officer knew that if they were really just playing around that all charges would be dropped and nothing would go on the record. The quick release from jail is a testament to that.

Castille gets a very valuable life lesson – whether you are joking or not it is never a good idea to stand in the middle of the street screaming obscenities and making threats . . . at 2 in the morning . . . in a neighborhood with a violent history . . . with 200 witnesses around . . . and a bunch of cops a block away . . . when you are the star player of a notable football team . . . a few weeks after three teammates were arrested . . . for fighting . . . in the same neighborhood.

From what the report says about Castille's actions after the epiphany of the seriousness of the situation, the lesson has been learned.

He gets it :thumbsup:

I haven't seen that many people singling out the use of profanity. I know there are plenty of people here who have used profanity in public. You can act all pious and criminalize a 21 year old who uses the F word. But I'm telling you, it doesn't make him a bad person. And I don't think it's worthy of going to jail.

However, I wasn't there. So I don't know how big of a scene he was causing. The police report did not indicate he is a bad person. It indicated that he was well mannered and compliant. He just happens to use profanity.

Are you seriously going to make judgements about a 21 year old because he uses profanity? And I have left JHS after you guys WON a game and had streams of F bombs hurled at me. JHS is still public right?

The policeman said it was loud enough that there were two blocks and 200 people between them and it still caused a scene. If another car going the other way didn't realize that he was "joking" with that particular SUV by angrily dropping F-bombs and calling the driver a bitch, and thought they were talking to them, and they WERE thugs, and they opened fire, what would you think about the TPD then? In an area where thug violence has been pretty commonplace recently. Don't tell me you wouldn't be the first one saying "Where were the TPD when this started escalating?"

Don't act like he's being put on trial for using the F-bomb in public. You're building another strawman again, and it's not working.

BG, the point here is you hear about this arrest and you immediately absolve Castille of any blame, and rationalize that the Tuscaloosa Police Department is crooked and have it out for the University of Alabama football program. It's not possible that one of your teams' captains could have gotten out of line and actually been guilty for the misdemeanor for which they were charged. Then in the next breath you jump all over me someone about how I they assume the worst possible scenario because I'm they're a blind homer when it is suggested that he actually did something worthy of the charges that were brought upon him, meanwhile you paint this unlikely fairy tale and anyone who doesn't think that is the most likely scenario just has it out for the guy because he plays for bammer.

And by the way he was drinking. He wasn't charged with public intox, but he was drinking.

I'd say you should eat a little houndstooth for statements made in this thread.

I'm not absolving Castille of wrongdoing. After reading the police report, I don't think he deserved to be arrested. And alcohol obviously did not play a factor in the goings on. Otherwise, he would have been administered a BAC test.

My concern isn't the TPD doing their job. Or whether or not Simeon SHOULD have been arrested. The officer was well within his rights to arrest Simeon. I will say, however, that if they arrested him for what was in the report, they are surely turning a blind eye to a LOT of other people who should be arrested.

What bothers me is everyone here wants to paint this picture like Simeon is some sort of criminal. Some sort of thug. Some sort of loser just because he uses profanity...albeit in public.

What bothers me is the ringing double standard around here. The thing I've always complained about. You guys see a difference between Alabama and Auburn players...when in fact, there is NONE. They are all 18-23 year old kids. They all like to have fun. They all slip up sometimes.

When Blackmon got in trouble, again, people weren't so quick to demonize him as you guys are Simeon. People were talking about how "he's just a kid" and how he made a mistake. Conversely, when Simeon gets in trouble for a lesser offense...people want to suggest that he's a thug, and that he's a punk. And it has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that he plays for Alabama.

The attacking of Simeon's character is where I take offense. The fact that you, again, want to brow beat me into changing my stance on Simeon's character is amazing to me. I'm not sticking up for him because he plays for Alabama. I'm sticking up for him because I know him. I know he's of very HIGH character. I've met his family. I know he comes from great parents. And I also know he's a 21 year old who likes to have fun. Why is that so unreasonable of me? Are you going to say that you've never done worse than what Simeon was arrested for? I know I have. And as I've said 1.23 million times...if the same situation happened to an AU player, I would STILL defend him.

I never said he wasn't just a kid.

I just said all things bama are evil. Including you.

You sure do spend a lot of time somewhere that you perceive to have a large double standard!

just sayin.

You sure do spend a lot of time somewhere that you perceive to have a large double standard!

just sayin.

You didn't call him a thug or a punk either. The post I just made wasn't really aimed at you. I do think you are a bit short sighted if you think his actions were not typical of most 21 year olds. Especially 21 year olds who play college football.

You didn't call him a thug or a punk either. The post I just made wasn't really aimed at you. I do think you are a bit short sighted if you think his actions were not typical of most 21 year olds. Especially 21 year olds who play college football.

I actually don't agree with the thought process that he gets a larger pass because he plays football. I believe athletes should be held to a higher standard not a lower one.

just sayin.

So were you referring to me then?

Find a post where I called him a punk or a thug, or even said this was atypical of most 21 year olds.

In fact I explicitly claimed the opposite of all three.

When Blackmon got in trouble, again, people weren't so quick to demonize him as you guys are Simeon. People were talking about how "he's just a kid" and how he made a mistake. Conversely, when Simeon gets in trouble for a lesser offense...people want to suggest that he's a thug, and that he's a punk. And it has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that he plays for Alabama.

We weren't on here blaming his arrest on the LaGrange PD either. Bama would help its image a lot if it just manned up and take the blame for something every once in awhile.

We weren't on here blaming his arrest on the LaGrange PD either. Bama would help its image a lot if it just manned up and take the blame for something every once in awhile.

Exxxxactly.

BG's trying to turn this into an argument about the character of the player involved, when it's not.

It has everything to do with accepting responsibility once in a while.

So were you referring to me then?

Find a post where I called him a punk or a thug, or even said this was atypical of most 21 year olds.

In fact I explicitly claimed the opposite of all three.

Was not referring to you either. You jumped in a few pages back when it WAS a character argument. My posts at that time had nothing to do with you.

I think rebdawg wins the award for most reasonable post on this thread.

Agreed.

Honestly, I do not understand what the big deal is given how minor the offense is. The TPD did what they thought was best at the time, but as it was said, the fact they released him so quickly should tell you that what we are hearing about this being a misunderstanding probably has some validity to it. The charges probably will be dropped.

I actually think it is sad that this is still being talked about and debated. The kid did not do anything that hurt anybody, but he did learn a hard lesson on how he should represent himself and his team out in public, joking or not. No need to analyze it any further then that.

Break it up and move along people. ;)

One thing that bothered me about the report is where the one officer asks the other about aren't they supposed to call Saban or something like that.

No they shouldn't call Saban, SC is a private citizen being arrested. If I was being arrested as an adult I wouldn't expect the arresting authority to call my boss, teachers, or parent (unless I was underage). Why would there be a need to call Saban? hummm

Archived