Hoovergate Continued?

CCTAU

I just don't understand...

You said it. And you probably never will.

And I think even you have to admit the sequence of events looks a little shady. He gets to Bama, they say he's "unexpectedly ineligible", then Hoover provides a transcript that suddenly alliviates the problem? C'mon, whether there's fire or not, it sure of hell is a lot of smoke.

And I think you know better than to compare the Mobile situation. For one, that was done over a year ago before Auburn was even in the picture, there is no evidence whatsoever that Auburn had any involvement. Not so much as a phone call. Not to mention that on Ryan Williams, he would have been eligible regardless. The changes to him didn't affect his eligibility one way or the other.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't understand why it's automatically Alabama's fault. You guys were quick to agree that whats his nuts had his grades changed and was an AU recruit...but it had nothing to do with AU.

Now UA has a recruit who had his grades changed...and amongst all the conspiracy theories, no one stops to think that it was done without coercing from UA.

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe a Hoover teacher was trying to help Chapman out? Since that happens ALL THE TIME...

I don't think anyone said anything about it being automatic, just that it's very suspicious. Ryan Williams and Nick Fairley don't have phone calls from AU immediately preceding a grade change that took them from ineligible to eligible. It also was way before either of them had committed anywhere, much less signed with a school.

I know you realize the circumstances are VERY, VERY different. You're just letting defensiveness keep you from admitting it.

According to Bishop, Alabama's compliance office informed Hoover's guidance department of a concern regarding a player's first transcript shortly after Memorial Day. Bishop said Alabama told the guidance department that the player was "so many hundredths of a point" shy of being eligible and that there had to be a problem, because Alabama had thought the student's eligibility wasn't an issue.

Bishop said Hoover counselors Cindy Bond and Marley Stephens assumed there had been a mistake due to a rounding error with the computer system. Bond and Stephens had been checking grades that were not correctly rounded up and reported 36 such problems, Bishop said

According to Bishop, Alabama's compliance office informed Hoover's guidance department of a concern regarding a player's first transcript shortly after Memorial Day. Bishop said Alabama told the guidance department that the player was "so many hundredths of a point" shy of being eligible and that there had to be a problem, because Alabama had thought the student's eligibility wasn't an issue.

Bond and Stephens recalculated and mistakenly averaged the player's final math grade of an 89, which is a B, with his first-semester grade of a 90 and came up with a final grade of 89.5, according to Bishop. A grade of 89.5 can be rounded up to 90, which is an A.

A little different than the picture you guys are trying to paint. First, Alabama called Hoover because Hoover had already told them Chapman was going to be eligible. Second, there were 36 problems of incorrect rounding in the computer system. Did Alabama create those to deflect attention from Chapman's case as well?

I could see where this could make one raise an eyebrow in regards to Bama, but merely by proxy. No more than the eyebrow that would be raised with Fairley and Williams. There's a reason why Kerry Murphy isn't in Tuscaloosa right now. And if Hoover was so willing to cheat for Bama, why is Kerry at Hargrave?

Again, there seems to be this thought of it is only 1/2 point grade change. It is a 9 week average. Based on how many points make up the 9 week period it is not a mere 1/2 point. The teacher was quoted in the paper as this being the equivilant of giving him 20 extra point on his final exam. In other word " rounding " his final exam from a 70 to a 90.

A little different than the picture you guys are trying to paint. First, Alabama called Hoover because Hoover had already told them Chapman was going to be eligible.

I'm thinking the phone call went something like this:

BAMA to HOOVER---hey guys just got the transcript you sent over for Josh, I thought we had an "understanding" that you were going to get his transcript "fixed" so that he would clear the NCAA

HOOVER TO BAMA: Oops we forgot to get that straigthened out, if you give us a an hour or so we will have the "right" transcript sent over and all will be well.

BAMA to HOOVER: Thanks, look forward to doing business again next year

Sounds exactly how we "painted" it.

Second, there were 36 problems of incorrect rounding in the computer system. Did Alabama create those to deflect attention from Chapman's case as well?

Hum, had not thought of that, Good point. Damn Bama is good at this.

A little different than the picture you guys are trying to paint. First, Alabama called Hoover because Hoover had already told them Chapman was going to be eligible. Second, there were 36 problems of incorrect rounding in the computer system. Did Alabama create those to deflect attention from Chapman's case as well?

I could see where this could make one raise an eyebrow in regards to Bama, but merely by proxy. No more than the eyebrow that would be raised with Fairley and Williams. There's a reason why Kerry Murphy isn't in Tuscaloosa right now. And if Hoover was so willing to cheat for Bama, why is Kerry at Hargrave?

You're still gonna ride this "just the same as AU and Mobile" thing aren't you? In fact, the raised eyebrow with regard to Alabama in this situation is far more than anything that would be or should be raised with Auburn. Let me go over this again:

1. The Mobile kids grades were changed last year, their junior years. Chapman's was changed after his senior season.

2. The Mobile kids had yet to commit to anyone. Chapman had already signed with Alabama.

3. There is no evidence whatsoever that anyone at Auburn talked to anyone at the Mobile schools about Fairley or Williams' grades. There is direct testimony that a phone call from Alabama immediately preceded the grade change for Chapman.

Argue all the points you want to as to why this grade change is ok, but stop this dumb comparison to Auburn and Mobile. It's not just apples and oranges. It's more like apples and some completely other food group. The two situations are not comparable to anyone looking at the specifics.

I'm saying they are both comparable by how they are both non-issues. At least on the University end.

I'm not implicating Auburn in anything. Nor am I implicating Alabama.

Because Kerry may never get into school anywhere and probably should never have graduated.

The 36 errors are total BS. The IT guy for the Hoover school system said so. Unless you mean the problems were with human errors.

Again, there seems to be this thought of it is only 1/2 point grade change. It is a 9 week average. Based on how many points make up the 9 week period it is not a mere 1/2 point. The teacher was quoted in the paper as this being the equivilant of giving him 20 extra point on his final exam. In other word " rounding " his final exam from a 70 to a 90.

BG, I like you man. Our PM this Am wasnt just for show. But to say that it is nothing is just horse hockie. Quattlebaum told everyone he didnt earn the grade nor deserve it. He was given extra credit work that he did not turn in. Quattlebaum said the extra points amounted to 20 extra on the final. You dont have a problem with that? Are you saying that a tenured teacher at Hoover is incompetent to grade a kid he may have known for four years? Keep up the .5 point kool-aid if you want. This one is just too easy to see without the crimson sunglasses on.

Because Kerry may never get into school anywhere and probably should never have graduated.

The 36 errors are total BS. The IT guy for the Hoover school system said so. Unless you mean the problems were with human errors.

Let alone, that sounds like an awful lot of mistakes that would have never came to light if it didn't benefit Chapman directly thanks to uat's "further investigation".

So it's impossible that Hoover helped out a student? It's ONLY possible with Alabama involvement? I find that notion specifically odd since Murphy didn't make it in.

And we don't know how close/far off he was...especially considering reports that he was on the cusp.

again the one point issue I don't totally understand. I mean, even if he did earn an 89 (before the grade change) he still passes the class and with a B. Normally a player is ineligible because of a class they failed or had an incomplete, not because they got a B instead of an A. It just doesn't make sense.

BG, I like you man. Our PM this Am wasnt just for show. But to say that it is nothing is just horse hockie. Quattlebaum told everyone he didnt earn the grade nor deserve it. He was given extra credit work that he did not turn in. Quattlebaum said the extra points amounted to 20 extra on the final. You dont have a problem with that? Are you saying that a tenured teacher at Hoover is incompetent to grade a kid he may have known for four years? Keep up the .5 point kool-aid if you want. This one is just too easy to see without the crimson sunglasses on.

BG, I happen to like you also. I've read many of your post and don't think you're that bad of a guy, except for that Alabama roll tide nonsense but everyone has faults I guess. But I have to agree that you sure have a thick crimson sun shield on about this.

-Michael

So it's impossible that Hoover helped out a student? It's ONLY possible with Alabama involvement? I find that notion specifically odd since Murphy didn't make it in.

After these alleged 36 kids graduated?

again the one point issue I don't totally understand. I mean, even if he did earn an 89 (before the grade change) he still passes the class and with a B. Normally a player is ineligible because of a class they failed or had an incomplete, not because they got a B instead of an A. It just doesn't make sense.

The article said that with the B he was "hundreths of a point shy of qualifying"

And we don't know how close/far off he was...especially considering reports that he was on the cusp.

1. Hoover sent in grades that made Chapman ineligable. Off To JUCO or Prep

2. ALABAMA made "THE CALL" to see why he was not eligable

3. Chapmans grades magically rise and his new tanscript is created

Had Bama not "made the call", Hoover would have never "helped the kid". Now given these facts I would like you to explain how Alabama had no involvement in the grade change.

So here is the spuat line on this:

1) 298.5M people in the US think this grade change shows that bama is back to its old tricks.

2) Bama fan base answers: "Tenured Hoover teachers cant teach, cant do math, and really dont know how to round..... To do all those things you need a counsellor that graduated with a degree in Cheerleading from Bama..."

Do this sum it up for you all?

Does this add up to reality for everyone?

I mean if you subtract out the BS, is this their stance? ;)

Had Bama not "made the call", Hoover would have never "helped the kid". Now given these facts I would like you to explain how Alabama had no involvement in the grade change.

The word I heard last February was that Chapman, during an intense recruiting session just prior to signing day, was told that if he committed to Auburn, he would not qualify. However, if he would commit to Alabama, he would qualify. Lo and behold, he committed to Alabama and qualified.

I'm still waiting on BG to comment on how the heck this kid was apparently ineligible with a score of 89 in math? How could raising it to a 90 make him eligible when it sounds like he might have flunked some other courses or was at least well below average? How is he going to pass his classes at UAT or maybe UAT is easier then high school? :headscratch::gofig:

The word I heard last February was that Chapman, during an intense recruiting session just prior to signing day, was told that if he committed to Auburn, he would not qualify. However, if he would commit to Alabama, he would qualify. Lo and behold, he committed to Alabama and qualified.

austudent22 on someone "else" possibly being in the room when Chapman's grade was miraculously changed:

"It is Jeremy Pruitt. He was Hoover's defensive Coordinator for the past 2 seasons and was hired in March by Saban as a Director of Player Development. The other person hired to that job was Willie Carl Martin from Ben Russell who has a much longer and distinguished resume. It has been widely believed his hiring was a result of the successful recruitment of Josh Chapman to Alabama, and he is one of the people who has been linked to Chapman's decision to visit Alabama and reverse his Auburn commitment. Pruitt, single, is also friends with Marley Stephens who is his same age who is one of the counselors who was named today. The thing that jumps out at you there is why is Marley Stephens involved in this question at all? She is the 10th grade counselor for Hoover."

Isn't she ALSO a former uat cheerleader?

Just saying.........b o o s t e r ?...........

The article said that with the B he was "hundreths of a point shy of qualifying"

Which means he didn't qualify.

If you were almost good enough to keep your job, or almost fast enough to outrun a rabid dog chasing you... the end result is still the same. You failed.

Felon - "But judge, I almost didn't get caught robbing that bank."

Judge - "You're right, my bad. You're free to go."

Which means he didn't qualify.

If you were almost good enough to keep your job, or almost fast enough to outrun a rabid dog chasing you... the end result is still the same. You failed.

Felon - "But judge, I almost didn't get caught robbing that bank."

Judge - "You're right, my bad. You're free to go."

I was just answering WarTiger's question. I wasn't trying to say he SHOULD have qualified even though he was hundreths shy. I was showing why an A vs a B was the determining factor.

Archived