Textbookgate Investigation going back two years...

DKW 86

Wow!

Tide FootballPublished Thursday, November 1, 2007

UA, NCAA meet about textbook scandal

By Christopher Walsh

Sports Writer

TUSCALOOSA | A contingent from the University of Alabama, including Director of Athletics Mal Moore and Compliance Director Chris King, met with National Collegiate Athletic Association officials Wednesday in Indianapolis to update them on the status of the school’s investigation into textbook disbursement.

The school did not file a report with the governing body, and all indications are that five football players ­Ã¢â‚¬â€ junior center Antoine Caldwell, sophomore running back Glen Coffee, junior guard Marlon Davis, and sophomore defensive backs Marquis Johnson and Carlos Rogers — will not play Saturday’s game against No. 3 LSU.

“What we went up there for had nothing to do with Saturday’s game,” Moore said after returning from the one-day trip.

Alabama’s investigation, which includes looking into every athlete in every sport from the past two years, in addition to the current academic year, will continue. No timetable exists for its completion, and no other athletes have been implicated.

“I don’t know anything,” said football coach Nick Saban, who also celebrated his 56th birthday Wednesday. “We’re not trying to keep anything from anybody.

“You know, guys, that’s not something I’m good at. I don’t think I should be the spokesperson for that stuff anyway. I think our administration is handling it, working through it, trying to do it the right way. If they tell me, I’ll tell you, but I think they’ll tell you when they know, or we’ll tell you when we know.”

The five players were suspended prior to the Oct. 20 Tennessee game for violating “institutional policy involving impermissible receipt of books.”

All have been allowed to practice but have been working with the scout teams.

“If you don’t know if a guy can play, it’s like he’s injured,” said Saban, later adding, “We have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst, if that makes sense.”

Sophomore Evan Cardwell is expected to start again at center, with junior B.J. Stabler continuing to replace Davis at guard. Freshmen offensive linemen Taylor Pharr and David Ross, among others, have been getting extra reps with the second unit.

Saban indicated that either Jimmy Johns or Jonathan Lowe, who is coming off an ankle injury, would probably move up to third on the depth chart at running back.

Alabama’s probation and repeat-violator status with the NCAA expired on Feb. 1.

Its most recent sanctions stemmed from a high-profile recruiting scandal that resulted in 22 penalties (12 of them self-imposed), and allegations that booster Logan Young, a wealthy Memphis businessman, paid approximately $150,000 to a high school football coach to influence star defensive tackle Albert Means to accept a scholarship to play for the Crimson Tide.

The NCAA sentenced the football program to a two-year bowl ban, five years probation and the loss of 21 scholarships over a three-year period, but later added that the penalties would have been more severe had school officials not fully cooperated.

In other football news, Saban said that junior linebacker Ezekial Knight and Lowe, who are both recovering from ankle injuries, continued to practice and should play “to some degree” Saturday. True freshman linebacker Rolando McClain has taken snaps at Knight’s position as an emergency precaution.

Reach Christopher Walsh at christopher.walsh@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0196.

If they are going back two years, and uncover some "issues", wouldn't the timing of it all fall under repeat offender status? I mean, the violations would have happened while they were currently on probation, and just because the powers that be didn't discover it until after the probation was over, shouldn't matter, i wouldn't think. I would think it would come down to the timing of when it all happened in regards to repeat offender status, but i could be wrong. Anyone out there know?

* The above space is provided for little old bg to tell us all that this is all much ado about nothing.....or something to that effect.

If they are going back two years, and uncover some "issues", wouldn't the timing of it all fall under repeat offender status? I mean, the violations would have happened while they were currently on probation, and just because the powers that be didn't discover it until after the probation was over, shouldn't matter, i wouldn't think. I would think it would come down to the timing of when it all happened in regards to repeat offender status, but i could be wrong. Anyone out there know?

Yes...If something is uncovered from two years ago, it will be considered still under probation. Or as you typed, "repeat offender". I'm getting my Popcorn ready.

Wow!

Tide FootballPublished Thursday, November 1, 2007

UA, NCAA meet about textbook scandal

By Christopher Walsh

Sports Writer

TUSCALOOSA | A contingent from the University of Alabama, including Director of Athletics Mal Moore and Compliance Director Chris King, met with National Collegiate Athletic Association officials Wednesday in Indianapolis to update them on the status of the school’s investigation into textbook disbursement.

The school did not file a report with the governing body, and all indications are that five football players ­Ã¢â‚¬â€ junior center Antoine Caldwell, sophomore running back Glen Coffee, junior guard Marlon Davis, and sophomore defensive backs Marquis Johnson and Carlos Rogers — will not play Saturday’s game against No. 3 LSU.

“What we went up there for had nothing to do with Saturday’s game,” Moore said after returning from the one-day trip.

Alabama’s investigation, which includes looking into every athlete in every sport from the past two years, in addition to the current academic year, will continue. No timetable exists for its completion, and no other athletes have been implicated.

“I don’t know anything,” said football coach Nick Saban, who also celebrated his 56th birthday Wednesday. “We’re not trying to keep anything from anybody.

“You know, guys, that’s not something I’m good at. I don’t think I should be the spokesperson for that stuff anyway. I think our administration is handling it, working through it, trying to do it the right way. If they tell me, I’ll tell you, but I think they’ll tell you when they know, or we’ll tell you when we know.”

The five players were suspended prior to the Oct. 20 Tennessee game for violating “institutional policy involving impermissible receipt of books.”

All have been allowed to practice but have been working with the scout teams.

“If you don’t know if a guy can play, it’s like he’s injured,” said Saban, later adding, “We have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst, if that makes sense.”

Sophomore Evan Cardwell is expected to start again at center, with junior B.J. Stabler continuing to replace Davis at guard. Freshmen offensive linemen Taylor Pharr and David Ross, among others, have been getting extra reps with the second unit.

Saban indicated that either Jimmy Johns or Jonathan Lowe, who is coming off an ankle injury, would probably move up to third on the depth chart at running back.

Alabama’s probation and repeat-violator status with the NCAA expired on Feb. 1.

Its most recent sanctions stemmed from a high-profile recruiting scandal that resulted in 22 penalties (12 of them self-imposed), and allegations that booster Logan Young, a wealthy Memphis businessman, paid approximately $150,000 to a high school football coach to influence star defensive tackle Albert Means to accept a scholarship to play for the Crimson Tide.

The NCAA sentenced the football program to a two-year bowl ban, five years probation and the loss of 21 scholarships over a three-year period, but later added that the penalties would have been more severe had school officials not fully cooperated.

In other football news, Saban said that junior linebacker Ezekial Knight and Lowe, who are both recovering from ankle injuries, continued to practice and should play “to some degree” Saturday. True freshman linebacker Rolando McClain has taken snaps at Knight’s position as an emergency precaution.

Reach Christopher Walsh at christopher.walsh@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0196.

This is the line in this story that was most interesting to me:

"The five players were suspended prior to the Oct. 20 Tennessee game for violating 'institutional policy involving impermissible receipt of books.' "

Doesn't a violation of "institutional policy" smack of lack of institutional control?

Also, there's this gem:

Alabama’s investigation, which includes looking into every athlete in every sport from the past two years, in addition to the current academic year, will continue.

Sounds to me like this goes back to 1995, which clearly puts bammer within the five-year window where serious sanctions could be levied.

Finally, a post on another site says that Glen Coffee basically had opened his own bookstore, buying books for whomever to save them --- and make him --- money.

That's an extra benefit.

Hmmmm. Lack of institutional control. Extra benefits. Mix those two phrases and "NCAA" together and there's usually a pretty tough outcome.

But, as I'm sure BG, Argo and runswithscissors will be quick to point out, there's obviously nothing to this. The AD and the compliance director just felt like a plane ride.

We shall see.

InDNo

I didn't suspect this would be resolved quickly...since nothing really came of the meeting in Indy this week.

Plus the 5 guys who are being held out have gotten hardly any reps in practice the last couple weeks. That indicates that they didn't expect them to be cleared in time for LSU.

As far as "violating institutional policy" being LOIC. This has been run into the ground. Breaking a rule doesn't denote LOIC. If that were the case, every player who ever broke a rule would put his school on death row.

Nice try, BG, but the sooner you accept the fact that you're done, the easier it will be to move on and find another team to cheer for that is actually allowed onto a football field.

B)

I didn't suspect this would be resolved quickly...since nothing really came of the meeting in Indy this week.

Plus the 5 guys who are being held out have gotten hardly any reps in practice the last couple weeks. That indicates that they didn't expect them to be cleared in time for LSU.

As far as "violating institutional policy" being LOIC. This has been run into the ground. Breaking a rule doesn't denote LOIC. If that were the case, every player who ever broke a rule would put his school on death row.

But, as I'm sure BG, Argo and runswithscissors will be quick to point out, there's obviously nothing to this. The AD and the compliance director just felt like a plane ride.

InDNo

Nah. I'm going to let the Alabama compliance staff, the NCAA and the Auburn fans that know all the details sort this one out.

I just hope it's not another whitewash for your sake.

InDNo

Nah. I'm going to let the Alabama compliance staff, the NCAA and the Auburn fans that know all the details sort this one out.

I just hope it's not another whitewash for your sake.

I'm sorry, friend, but I lost you at "Alabama compliance." I can't compute oxymorons.

InDNo

I'm sorry, friend, but I lost you at "Alabama compliance." I can't compute oxymorons.

InDNo

Just stick to the rumors. You guys are getting good at computing them.

InDNo

uat meeting with the NCAA is NOT a rumor.

InDNo

InDNo

InDNo

I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was talking about the "insight" regarding the meeting.

InDNo

InDNo

I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was talking about the "insight" regarding the meeting.

Did I claim "insight"? Or "knowledge"? I readily admit that what I wrote regarding "lack of institutional control" and "extra benefits" --- plus my speculation about the reasons for the trip --- was conjecture, albeit (again, since I've been on the inside of similar situations before) informed conjecture.

I mean, you have to admit, the cloud of smoke grew decidedly more dense today.

InDNo

I

Did I claim "insight"? Or "knowledge"? I readily admit that what I wrote regarding "lack of institutional control" and "extra benefits" --- plus my speculation about the reasons for the trip --- was conjecture, albeit (again, since I've been on the inside of similar situations before) informed conjecture.

I mean, you have to admit, the cloud of smoke grew decidedly more dense today.

InDNo

I

I agree 100% that the cloud of smoke grew more dense today. Like I've already said though, I'm going to let the Alabama compliance staff, the NCAA and the Auburn fans that know all the details sort this one out.

To be fair, I don't think a two-year investigation necessarily means suspicion of a two-year history of violations--they could just be going back two years to prove to the NCAA that the five players were an brief aberration and that they have been running a tight ship overall.

But while witholding judgement on the severity of the problem until we hear more, I'm certainly enjoying the overture and looking forward to the rest of the show. I may not get much from watching Bama on the field, but spuat trouble off the field is some of the best entertainment around. :lol:

Did anyone else find this quote from St Nick in DKW's article strange:

Is he saying he's not good at keeping up with NCAA regs, or not good at being a spokeperson? It would seem pretty irresponsible and stupid for a coach to admit he's not good at dealing with NCAA regulations. But if he meant just not good at speaking to the press ((a problem, for sure, that he has demonstrated many times), why follow immediately by saying "If they tell me, I'll tell you..."?

Curiouser and curiouser... :rolleyes:

Is he saying he's not good at keeping up with NCAA regs, or not good at being a spokeperson? It would seem pretty irresponsible and stupid for a coach to admit he's not good at dealing with NCAA regulations. But if he meant just not good at speaking to the press ((a problem, for sure, that he has demonstrated many times), why follow immediately by saying "If they tell me, I'll tell you..."?

you forgot to post the part before that.

that's what he said "that's not something i'm good at" for. and i would agree, he generally seems to speak whatever is running through his head.

that's what he said "that's not something i'm good at" for. and i would agree, he generally seems to speak whatever is running through his head.

So in other words, he's not very good at being open, honest, and telling the truth? :rolleyes::poke:

So in other words, he's not very good at being open, honest, and telling the truth? :rolleyes::poke:

seems as though he's saying he's not good at hiding anything from anybody. i'm sure you will take that with a grain of salt though. :)

Perhaps that is why uat has been "caught"......Just sayin'

To be fair, I don't think a two-year investigation necessarily means suspicion of a two-year history of violations--they could just be going back two years to prove to the NCAA that the five players were an brief aberration and that they have been running a tight ship overall.

But while witholding judgement on the severity of the problem until we hear more, I'm certainly enjoying the overture and looking forward to the rest of the show. I may not get much from watching Bama on the field, but spuat trouble off the field is some of the best entertainment around. :lol:

I think he meant that he was no good at trying to keep things from anybody. I thought he was pretty good at it myself, go figure.

Archived