USA has a new coach!

Ashandarei

Joey Jones accepts head coaching job at South Alabama

Posted by Birmingham News sports staff February 14, 2008 12:07 PM

Categories: Sports

Birmingham-Southern College's Joey Jones will return to his hometown to become the University of South Alabama's first head football coach, The Birmingham News has learned.

Jones, 45, accepted the offer from USA on Thursday after meeting with Athletics Director Joe Gottfried for the third time on Wednesday. The university will introduce him on Friday at a mid-day press conference.

According to the Mobile Press-Register, the salary for the coach USA will hire to build a program from the ground up will be $275,000. Jones' salary at BSC, where he was the school's first football coach since 1939, was approximately $150,000.

Jones was a football star at Murphy High School. He played the final three years of coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's career at Alabama and finished his eligiblity in 1983 under Ray Perkins. Jones played for the NFL's Atlanta Falcons and the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL.

He had a successful prep coaching career at Mountain Brook and Dora high schools before taking the BSC job in 2006. The Panthers fielded a team in 2007, going 1-7 with mostly freshmen and sophomores on the roster. BSC also won both of its junior varsity games in 2007.

See Friday's Birmingham News for more details.

Mike Perrin

WTG Joey! Shocked and happy for USA and him.

Was joey's son a recruit a couple of years ago. I think he signed with Bama, I don't really rememeber does anyone recall this.

I hope he has success at South.

Congratulations. I know you can breathe better now.

some of you guys were the ones convinced it would happen, not us.

Well Titan Tiger for sure. Even though I called him out on it, he apparently can't comprehend the difference between being a potential candidate and actually taking the job, unless it's Tuberville. Then it is clearly just a rumor.

Steele - interviews - "He's got the job."

Rumors Steele has turned it down - "He's still interested, read this. Prepare to be shocked. He's taking the job."

Tuberville - rumors - "He aint taking the job."

I didn't have trouble to begin with.

Of course you didn't. It wasn't even on you mind. But wait....you were the first one to post the news here.

Of course you didn't. It wasn't even on you mind. But wait....you were the first one to post the news here.

Well Chet, I never said that it wasn't on my mind, but I can assure you I wasn't losing sleep over it. I figured when I read the article, I would post it to show that many of you were wrong. I must be wrong in doing that since you guys would never jump up and point at Alabama fans if we were incorrect. Besides, I just posted the link, I never said anything about it. Just provided some reading material.

Well Titan Tiger for sure. Even though I called him out on it, he apparently can't comprehend the difference between being a potential candidate and actually taking the job, unless it's Tuberville. Then it is clearly just a rumor.

Rumors Steele has turned it down - "He's still interested, read this. Prepare to be shocked. He's taking the job."

Massive amount of cool points to you for calling out TT for simply posting newspaper articles and mentioning a few things he heard through the grapevine. Have you called the MPR yet to brag? :rolleyes:

I still think this is a less than smart move for USA, this state can't support 5 Div-1 football programs. I still wish them luck.

Well Chet, I never said that it wasn't on my mind, but I can assure you I wasn't losing sleep over it. I figured when I read the article, I would post it to show that many of you were wrong. I must be wrong in doing that since you guys would never jump up and point at Alabama fans if we were incorrect. Besides, I just posted the link, I never said anything about it. Just provided some reading material.

Maybe I overlooked it but who is wrong? Who said "Joe Kines IS leaving?'

Massive amount of cool points to you for calling out TT for simply posting newspaper articles and mentioning a few things he heard through the grapevine. Have you called the MPR yet to brag? :rolleyes:

Actually if you knew what I was referring to you would know that Titan said he was taking the job and I said "really, do you have any proof or a link" and he brought in a link just stating that he was still interested in the job and some other insult towards myself and continued to state he was getting the job. Basically, he proved me right, but still insulted me because he can't comprehend the difference between taking the job and being still considered for the job.

So yea, dumba$$

You didn't call out diddley. Your just pissed that Titan put your punk-*** in your place.

Is this from your Rivals account? Maybe they will report Tuberville will be the DC under Saban too.

And you might fall for it...

Actually, it's from your mama. Last night.

Or it could be the Mobile Register:

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/in....xml&coll=3

Congratulations. I know you can breathe better now.

You didn't call out diddley. Your just pissed that Titan put your punk-*** in your place.

Is this from your Rivals account? Maybe they will report Tuberville will be the DC under Saban too.

Actually, it's from your mama. Last night.

Or it could be the Mobile Register:

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/in....xml&coll=3

Again, no I'm not pissed about anything. I'm just making fun of him because he claimed he was taking the job and I called him out on it because he hasn't been right about ANYTHING recently, if ever for that matter. And "oooooo" he made a momma joke (that wasn't even funny) on a message board. Yea, I got sooo punked. I'm so MAD!!

You never called anyone out. You questioned the source as though it were some message board. Titan put you in your place and now you are pissed.

Again, no I'm not pissed about anything. I'm just making fun of him because he claimed he was taking the job and I called him out on it because he hasn't been right about ANYTHING recently, if ever for that matter. And "oooooo" he made a momma joke (that wasn't even funny) on a message board. Yea, I got sooo punked. I'm so MAD!!

Sounds like you're pretty ripped to me. Chill out.

More cool points for dogging TT because he hasn't been right about "ANYTHING" while offering up diddly on the information front yourself.

Hey everybody! Lets make fun of TT because he gleans FACTS from the MPR!

1.) Titan posted an article by the MOBILE REGISTER. That's the newspaper, not Titan or Rivals as you so incorrectly suggested.

2.) Why do you care so much if Titan isn't right about something else that you feel the need to be a jackass with remarks like,

You apparently have a bunch in your panties over Titan.

3.) You are pulling crap out of thin air with the claim he's never been right about "anything." Many people give their opinion or state things they have heard that never pan out. Get over it. At least Titan had a link here.

4.) The mama joke had less to do with putting you in your place than posting a LINK to an actual news source.

5.) Read and Comprehend for once. No one said you got punked...I called you a punk-***. Get it right.

If you need a link for that, There are plenty of examples here to back me up. (MOVE CURSOR HERE AND CLICK THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON)

great post, who was the numbnut that said "prepare to be shocked" ....?? loooool :roflol:

Let's think of this rationally, shall we:

Title of post by Titan : Looking like Kevin Steele to USA

Let's analyze just the title. Now he does not directly say Steele is going to USA, but at the same time it is not an opinion. It sounds like a strong prediction or expectation. Now if this were an article involving one of our assistants (Eddie Gran), no one dares to use the words "Looking like Eddie Gran to USA." Instead, it is "Gran is interested in interviewing. Good luck."

So Titan gets his expectation, not based on the fact that there was a newspaper article, but the fact that someone else dropped out. Apparently, dropping out = Steele has the job.

Now let's analyze it a little further:

WinCrimson: "II'll be shocked if he leaves. Shocked."

Titan : "Get ready to be shocked."

So there, Titan basically makes it clear that he believes Steele is USA bound. I respond because he has been wrong about basically every recruit out there that day (Enrique Davis and that kid that chose UNC and maybe even Jarmon Fortson - don't quote me on that one - definitely heard it from someone).

So yea, I respond "Is that from your Rivals account?" basically asking him if he heard Steele is taking the job. He responds, "Actually it is from the Mobile Register" insinuating... that yes he really believes he was taking the job. Even though the article says nothing about Steele taking the job, except the mere fact that he was still a candidate. So not only was he wrong, but he couldn't even comprehend a simple story that states "he is a candidate" vs "he is taking the job."

So, Titan appeared to be sold on the fact that he was taking the job. He was wrong (as expected), so yes he was the one that said Steele was going to USA. Not really anyone else. Not even the Mobile Register. Titan and Titan only said he was taking the job.

Case Closed

I guess since bammer was having difficulties in recruiting the Mobile area, they made sure that a bammer got the job. The only other stipulation must have been that the new coach not be any taller than Saban.

Good luck to him. I guess now USA will get all of bammer's cast offs instead of AU. Poor poor AU.

I guess since bammer was having difficulties in recruiting the Mobile area, they made sure that a bammer got the job. The only other stipulation must have been that the new coach not be any taller than Saban.

Good luck to him. I guess now USA will get all of bammer's cast offs instead of AU. Poor poor AU.

hm, as far as i can tell, Alabama did quite well in the Mobile area for the 08 class.

You are all ganging up and yet PC is whipping every one of your asses both individually and collectively.

The beating he is administering is so gory and brutal that its almost a work of art.

:lmao:

It's a big deal that TT was wrong b/c why?

Just so you can make light of the him being wrong, just for your shear joy to dog on someone for beign wrong? Something more going on here?

Grow up, pc!

pc :kiss3: GG = PCGhost

PC, did you get your valentine from Galen? :poke::roflol:

You are all ganging up and yet PC is whipping every one of your asses both individually and collectively.

The beating he is administering is so gory and brutal that its almost a work of art.

:lmao:

I'm glad he's entertaining someone, because to everyone else he's just looking foolish. His "case closed" remark wasn't a collective beatdown by any means... although I did wonder if he snapped his fingers in a Z shaped motion after he typed that.

Archived