looks like Raymond Cotton will sign with Ole Piss!

AUdrew1

Not to throw cold water on this celebration, but if we offered Moseley because Cotton told us "no", it means we lost this round.

Moseley really wants to be an Auburn Tiger because no other major college has even approached him, let alone made an offer. If he signs with us, I'll be all for him in the future, but if this means we're out of the running on Cotton, it's NOT good news. :thumbsdown:

Mikey......You are Mr. Negative about everything. Why not save that for Bama? Geesh. I don't know who's worse....arnold or you lately.

Not to throw cold water on this celebration, but if we offered Moseley because Cotton told us "no", it means we lost this round.

Moseley really wants to be an Auburn Tiger because no other major college has even approached him, let alone made an offer. If he signs with us, I'll be all for him in the future, but if this means we're out of the running on Cotton, it's NOT good news. :thumbsdown:

Look, back when Cotton was a firm commit to us and Moseley wasn't even on the radar I heard people fretting that he was a 4-star based on upside, but that he was not ready to step in right away. Folks reporting from the camps said he has a cannon for an arm but his accuracy was spotty at best and his mechanics were awful. In fact, I think his might have been the worst of the ones at that camp, which included Massakowski and 3 or 4 other hot shot QBs this year. You could do a search on the forums for it and it's here somewhere.

On the other hand, Moseley has led his team to 3 state championships, has a strong arm and is reportedly much more accurate.

I don't know who will turn out to be the best college player. I'd love to have them both and let them duke it out in practice. But don't act like it's some slam dunk that we missed out on the next great QB to take an also-ran.

not to mention we changed our freakin coaching staff! its a miracle to me that we've held on to the ones we have (lutz,onterio,eltoro, etc.)

Mikey......You are Mr. Negative about everything. Why not save that for Bama? Geesh. I don't know who's worse....arnold or you lately.

Oh, I've been positive about the coaching hires and so forth.

I think it's accurate to say that taken by itself, signing Moseley is good news. I think it's also accurate to say that losing Cotton is not good news. Therefore, if signing Moseley means that we lost out on Cotton the overall result is much less than thrilling.

I think it's accurate to say that taken by itself, signing Moseley is good news. I think it's also accurate to say that losing Cotton is not good news. Therefore, if signing Moseley means that we lost out on Cotton the overall result is much less than thrilling.

I don't think we have enough info to say that losing Cotton is bad news. From what people who've seen both play say, Cotton is more athletic and has a stronger arm. Moseley has a strong arm (not as strong as Cotton) but is far more accurate and throws a better spiral and can run if he has to, though not as good as Cotton can. Moseley has won 3 state titles, Cotton hasn't won any.

Here's ESPN's recruiting evaluation on both:

Rating 73

It is difficult to get a good feel for Moseley because while his numbers both passing and running are outstanding, the level of competition he is facing is extremely concerning especially when you take a look at the interior fronts he is competing against. He is by far the most talented person on the field. He has very good size and the frame to develop nicely. His tools, style and production remind us somewhat of a poor man's Garrett Gilbert. He's tall enough to scan the field from within the pocket, he shows excellent field vision and generally finds the open man given enough time. He plays in the shotgun spread where he is asked to attempt a variety of throws from short-to-intermediate-to-deep down field. He shows a good over-the-top release and can get rid of the ball quickly. He can be somewhat mechanical in his delivery methods and does not appear to get great velocity on his throws-- he is part touch passer, part rhythm. He displays above average arm strength, but is not going to "wow" anyone with power and zip and drive the ball vertically on a consistent basis.

Throws well on the run and when off balance, but could find himself in trouble if he attempts some of these types of throws against quality defensive personnel. Shows excellent pocket presence, possesses adequate athletic ability and instinctively sidesteps the rush while keeping his eyes downfield in order to find the open receiver. He will take off and run and will surprise you with his ability to be a dual-threat when need be.

When comparing him against fellow in-state QB AJ McCarron, Moseley is a better athlete, but McCarron is more polished, possesses a stronger arm and has faced much stiffer, more college comparable competition. Overall, there is no doubt Moseley has talent and upside, but he must bulk up, get into the weightroom and until he faces competition equal to or greater than his own, there will be doubts about his upside at the BCS level. This is likely the reason he has seen little interest from BCS schools. Physically, he can compete and there is no doubt he is a winner.

Rating: 78

This is a fantastic looking prospect on the hoof. Cotton has all the measurables and athleticism you look for in today's quarterback and he can really sling it. Don't let his athleticism fool you into thinking he is just a runner as he does show upside to develop into a fine passer with work and refinement. He is a big, physically imposing player with excellent arm strength. His delivery mechanics are reminiscent of former Auburn QB Jason Campbell only Cotton is an entirely different player from an athleticism standpoint.

He is mobile and athletic. Has very good speed for his size. Is a threat to run. Is a tough runner that will break tackles. He is elusive in space and will make defenders miss. Shows solid initial quickness to avoid the rush in the pocket and good presence to use his feet and make something happen. He has the arm strength to make extremely difficult throws running both ways. He has great lower body strength. He won't go down easily and he can make a lot of tough throws with defenders hanging on him. Shows quick set-up as a drop back passer and when his feet are set, he can really drive the ball into just about any spot on the field. Shows excellent RPM's on the ball and is capable of becoming an excellent deep ball passer.

The issues with Cotton stem from his lack of fundamentals and discipline in his mechanics. He can do some wonderful things with the ball physically, but in the passing game his footwork can get him into big trouble. Throws off back foot too much and he does not show consistent accuracy yet. Has little to no experience dropping from under center. Will throw the ball up for grabs and make risky decisions which he will not get away with at the next level. Must learn the passing game and become a better decision maker with the ball. Level of competition is a concern. Overall, Cotton has the tools, but the rough edges must be chiseled off. Very good prospect with a lot of upside in the spread scheme.

That's a much more thorough, NFL-style evaluation on both and though Cotton's athleticism gets him a few points, he's not head and shoulders above Moseley.

For reference, this is what the ratings mean with ESPN:

90-100: Rare Prospect

Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Has all the skills to take over a game and could be an impact player as a true freshman.

80-89: Outstanding Prospect

Player has the ability to create mismatches against most opponents and could contribute as a true freshman.

70-79: Good Prospect

Player does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. Could become a good starter at the Division I level.

60-69: Solid Prospect

This player is overmatched against the better players in the nation. His weaknesses will be exposed against top competition. Has the ability to develop into a solid contributor at the Division I level.

50-59: Prospect

Player has some redeeming qualities but is not projected to contribute at the Division I level.

45: Pending Prospect w/ film

Scouts Inc. has received film of the prospect and an evaluation is pending.

40: Pending Prospect

Player has redeeming qualities and is projected to contribute at the Division I level, however film has not yet been received.

To you maybe!

I think we got the better QB JMHO, But if you think Cotton was better ,I guess your not happy.

Just look down the list of players that have won Mr football. And I like my guy's chance's.

Hell I wanted Matt Barkley but I'm not going to bitch B/C we didn't get him.

But you may be right.

I don't think we have enough info to say that losing Cotton is bad news. From what people who've seen both play say, Cotton is more athletic and has a stronger arm. Moseley has a strong arm (not as strong as Cotton) but is far more accurate and throws a better spiral and can run if he has to, though not as good as Cotton can. Moseley has won 3 state titles, Cotton hasn't won any.

Here's ESPN's recruiting evaluation on both:

Rating 73

It is difficult to get a good feel for Moseley because while his numbers both passing and running are outstanding, the level of competition he is facing is extremely concerning especially when you take a look at the interior fronts he is competing against. He is by far the most talented person on the field. He has very good size and the frame to develop nicely. His tools, style and production remind us somewhat of a poor man's Garrett Gilbert. He's tall enough to scan the field from within the pocket, he shows excellent field vision and generally finds the open man given enough time. He plays in the shotgun spread where he is asked to attempt a variety of throws from short-to-intermediate-to-deep down field. He shows a good over-the-top release and can get rid of the ball quickly. He can be somewhat mechanical in his delivery methods and does not appear to get great velocity on his throws-- he is part touch passer, part rhythm. He displays above average arm strength, but is not going to "wow" anyone with power and zip and drive the ball vertically on a consistent basis.

Throws well on the run and when off balance, but could find himself in trouble if he attempts some of these types of throws against quality defensive personnel. Shows excellent pocket presence, possesses adequate athletic ability and instinctively sidesteps the rush while keeping his eyes downfield in order to find the open receiver. He will take off and run and will surprise you with his ability to be a dual-threat when need be.

When comparing him against fellow in-state QB AJ McCarron, Moseley is a better athlete, but McCarron is more polished, possesses a stronger arm and has faced much stiffer, more college comparable competition. Overall, there is no doubt Moseley has talent and upside, but he must bulk up, get into the weightroom and until he faces competition equal to or greater than his own, there will be doubts about his upside at the BCS level. This is likely the reason he has seen little interest from BCS schools. Physically, he can compete and there is no doubt he is a winner.

Rating: 78

This is a fantastic looking prospect on the hoof. Cotton has all the measurables and athleticism you look for in today's quarterback and he can really sling it. Don't let his athleticism fool you into thinking he is just a runner as he does show upside to develop into a fine passer with work and refinement. He is a big, physically imposing player with excellent arm strength. His delivery mechanics are reminiscent of former Auburn QB Jason Campbell only Cotton is an entirely different player from an athleticism standpoint.

He is mobile and athletic. Has very good speed for his size. Is a threat to run. Is a tough runner that will break tackles. He is elusive in space and will make defenders miss. Shows solid initial quickness to avoid the rush in the pocket and good presence to use his feet and make something happen. He has the arm strength to make extremely difficult throws running both ways. He has great lower body strength. He won't go down easily and he can make a lot of tough throws with defenders hanging on him. Shows quick set-up as a drop back passer and when his feet are set, he can really drive the ball into just about any spot on the field. Shows excellent RPM's on the ball and is capable of becoming an excellent deep ball passer.

The issues with Cotton stem from his lack of fundamentals and discipline in his mechanics. He can do some wonderful things with the ball physically, but in the passing game his footwork can get him into big trouble. Throws off back foot too much and he does not show consistent accuracy yet. Has little to no experience dropping from under center. Will throw the ball up for grabs and make risky decisions which he will not get away with at the next level. Must learn the passing game and become a better decision maker with the ball. Level of competition is a concern. Overall, Cotton has the tools, but the rough edges must be chiseled off. Very good prospect with a lot of upside in the spread scheme.

That's a much more thorough, NFL-style evaluation on both and though Cotton's athleticism gets him a few points, he's not head and shoulders above Moseley.

For reference, this is what the ratings mean with ESPN:

90-100: Rare Prospect

Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Has all the skills to take over a game and could be an impact player as a true freshman.

80-89: Outstanding Prospect

Player has the ability to create mismatches against most opponents and could contribute as a true freshman.

70-79: Good Prospect

Player does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. Could become a good starter at the Division I level.

60-69: Solid Prospect

This player is overmatched against the better players in the nation. His weaknesses will be exposed against top competition. Has the ability to develop into a solid contributor at the Division I level.

50-59: Prospect

Player has some redeeming qualities but is not projected to contribute at the Division I level.

45: Pending Prospect w/ film

Scouts Inc. has received film of the prospect and an evaluation is pending.

40: Pending Prospect

Player has redeeming qualities and is projected to contribute at the Division I level, however film has not yet been received.

Titan, Do you have to be an inside member to get these ESPN recruiting evaluations. I am wondering because I got espn the magazine for Christmas and it is supposed to come with access to the inside package. Do I need to wait for the 1st issue and the membership number or can I find it now??

Who says we've lost Cotton? It isn't a done deal, yet.

No one just me it's my opinion since we only had room for one QB and we signed CM then cotton must be heading to Ole MISS. However, this is just my opinion.

The notion that we only have room for one QB is speculation, not confirmed fact. Chizik said he wanted to sign "one great QB." That's not the same thing as "we are only going to take one QB no matter what."

The notion that we only have room for one QB is speculation, not confirmed fact. Chizik said he wanted to sign "one great QB." That's not the same thing as "we are only going to take one QB no matter what."

your right but i doubt chizik would want 6 QB's on scholarship! I guess we will find out soon.

Well, one is a senior (Todd) and two are juniors (Burns, Caudle). If he likes Cotton and Moseley and can get both, it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Plus, I have no confirmation of this, but it wouldn't shock me if one of the QBs decided to transfer to D-1AA for playing time. If I were guessing, I'd say Todd since he's only got one year left, but again, that's not even a rumor. I'm just speculating.

Bird, you can go on their website and find the link to customer service re: Insider and send them an email stating that you have the mag and would like to get Insider. They'll send one back telling you what to do.

I've actually done what you are asking... getting Insider before I got the first mag delivered.

Well, one is a senior (Todd) and two are juniors (Burns, Caudle). If he likes Cotton and Moseley and can get both, it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Plus, I have no confirmation of this, but it wouldn't shock me if one of the QBs decided to transfer to D-1AA for playing time. If I were guessing, I'd say Todd since he's only got one year left, but again, that's not even a rumor. I'm just speculating.

i think you left Barrett Trotter out!

i think you left Barrett Trotter out!

No I didn't. I was just mentioning that one only has this season left and two others only have this one and next one left. That's three QBs out the door within two seasons and Moseley and Cotton would both redshirt if they come here. So within two seasons you'd have 3 guys on scholarship. That's not exactly a glut, especially if one or more transfers (which again, I wouldn't be shocked if at least one did that.)

Archived