2012 Spring Roster

Sid

Any news on why Joel Bonomolo is not on the roster? I was excited to him come last year and was expecting big things from him. Apparently he was quite the gym rat as well.

Any news on why Joel Bonomolo is not on the roster? I was excited to him come last year and was expecting big things from him. Apparently he was quite the gym rat as well.

Shoulder injury + typical JUCO flop. Just never made it.

Any guesses on how the RB depth chart will shake out?

20 Corey Grant, 5-11, 203

21 Tre Mason, 5-10, 196

22 Mike Blakely 5-9, 206

23 Onterio McCalebb 5-11, 168

35 Jay Prosch, 6-0, 253

37 Ladarious Phillips 6-0, 294

Obviously, McCalebb but who fills Dyer's shoes? Mason or do Blakely/Grant make an impact?

Height/Weight deltas courtesy of JGT...

correctone.jpg

correcttwo.jpg

• This includes only scholarship players.

• Frost wasn’t included on the 8/3/11 roster.

• Patrick Miller, JaViere Mitchell and Shane Callahan recently enrolled.

• Eric Mack lost 30 pounds. Nice work.

• Devaunte Sigler added 40 pounds. Also nice work.

• Anthony Swain, at 245 pounds, is a big boy.

Some other notables I see:

-Frazier up 18lbs

-Denson up 18lbs

-Coates up 20lbs

-Bray up 14lbs

-Harrell up 25lbs

-McCalebb down 2lbs

I'm excited about most of that

Glad to see Prosch on there, I couldn't remember if he was given his waiver by the NCAA. 6.0' and 253 lbs...:big:

He's on the team but he has not yet been cleared by the NCAA to play next year. That decision should come sometime this summer.

Glad to see Prosch on there, I couldn't remember if he was given his waiver by the NCAA. 6.0' and 253 lbs...:big:

He's on the team but he has not yet been cleared by the NCAA to play next year. That decision should come sometime this summer.

Is it almost assured that they are going to give him one(hardship waiver or whatever it is called)? I mean he moved here to be closer to his mom who is sick with brain cancer, right??

21 Tre Mason, 5-10, 196

22 Mike Blakely 5-9, 206

35 Jay Prosch, 6-0, 253

Obviously, McCalebb but who fills Dyer's shoes? Mason or do Blakely/Grant make an impact?

I FULLY expect everyone one of them to get playing time. I'm sure OMac & Mason will be the first ones out, but Grant & Blakely will be rotating in. I mean when you've got 4 quality RBs and 2 HUGE FBs I think the I formation will be back!!!

I don't think Phillips is going to see the sunny side of the field unless we're in blowout territory (for or against us). I'd expect to see Blake Burgess in that role before Phillips.

I expect a big year from Onterio, but most of all, I think all the running backs will benefit from having Lutz as an edge blocker coupled with Prosch as a lead blocker. Both of those guys are +++ blockers, really athletic, and football smart. I'm not sure how the carries shake out (I'm betting McCalebb leads the team in carries but not by a ton), but I think we have a chance at a mean running game. We have to lock down the left side of the line (since I'm very confident Slade is moving to RT). If we can do that, it's going to get physical.

21 Tre Mason, 5-10, 196

22 Mike Blakely 5-9, 206

35 Jay Prosch, 6-0, 253

Blakely at 5-9 206 looks (physically) to be our 'between the tackles' back if he's as talented and tough as I think he is. Mason and Grant could likely fill that role as well, and will get quite a bit of playing time regardless. The nice thing about those two guys is they can also break it outside with their speed. McCalebb (as usual) will be the burner that every team fears facing, and I see Grant being the best comparison to him in speed so I believe he stays out on the edges. So my best guess is:

1) Blakely/ backup Mason

2) McCalebb/ backup Grant

If Prosch carries the ball very much at all I would be shocked. We need him as a blocker, and he's an All-American there, so:

3) Prosch/ backup Phillips

Just my opinion. We've got plenty of time for the coaches to sort it all out.

Archived