2015 4* JUCO ATH Jason Smith recommits to AU!

RunInRed

For those who have seen him play, could he approximate Nick Marshall at QB after JC

He was a better high schol QB than Jonathan Wallace, but I don't see him playing QB at AU. We've got JJ, White and so forth. Smith was recruited strictly as a WR and I don't see that changing.

I seem to recall him being told he would get a shot.

Found this article:

http://www.al.com/au...recruiting.html

That article was written in Dec. of 2012, before he even signed with Auburn. By the time he gets here JJ will be a junior and White a RS frosh. Smith himself stated somewhere along the line that his best shot at the NFL was at WR or DB. He played WR in the Ala/Miss all star game. If his heart should suddenly become set on playing QB he'll probably sign with some school that doesn't have a logjam ahead of him at QB.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots has changed at AU since he signed....and though he will have had a couple years to grow, can't see him getting a shot at QB here....but as athletic as he appears to be, there are places for him in Gus's offense if he wants to play at AU.

On the other hand, is AU obligated to re-offer him now? Perhaps he and AU have "moved on"?

I agree that the best position for Jason Smith is at slot receiver as far as his NFL potential goes. But the fact remains that no one else that we have lined up at QB for the next few years is the kind of athlete that Nick Marshall is, with the exception of Jason Smith. So I think it'll depend in large part on how the opposing defenses are able to stop the triple option next year. But do not be surprised if there are some packages set up where Jason Smith comes in as the wildcat/triple option QB.

For those who have seen him play, could he approximate Nick Marshall at QB after JC

He was a better high schol QB than Jonathan Wallace, but I don't see him playing QB at AU. We've got JJ, White and so forth. Smith was recruited strictly as a WR and I don't see that changing.

I seem to recall him being told he would get a shot.

Found this article:

http://www.al.com/au...recruiting.html

That article was written in Dec. of 2012, before he even signed with Auburn. By the time he gets here JJ will be a junior and White a RS frosh. Smith himself stated somewhere along the line that his best shot at the NFL was at WR or DB. He played WR in the Ala/Miss all star game. If his heart should suddenly become set on playing QB he'll probably sign with some school that doesn't have a logjam ahead of him at QB.

This article is from May of 2013 and says the same thing:

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052913aaa.html

A lot of factors may impact the decision. He may play WR next year and love it. He may gain weight and come to AU about the size of NM. But I suspect the success we've had running the read option may make it tempting to at least have a package of plays he might run even if WR is his primary role.

Lots has changed at AU since he signed....and though he will have had a couple years to grow, can't see him getting a shot at QB here....but as athletic as he appears to be, there are places for him in Gus's offense if he wants to play at AU.

On the other hand, is AU obligated to re-offer him now? Perhaps he and AU have "moved on"?

We are not obligated to sign Smith just as he is not obligated to sign with Auburn. That's something both parties will have to want next year.

We are not obligated to sign Smith just as he is not obligated to sign with Auburn. That's something both parties will have to want next year.

Thought that might be the case...so all this is pretty much speculation at this point. Meanwhile, JJ will likely be the "man" in 2015 and Gus doesn't need a NM look alike to make the offense go anyway.

Thought that might be the case...so all this is pretty much speculation at this point. Meanwhile, JJ will likely be the "man" in 2015 and Gus doesn't need a NM look alike to make the offense go anyway.

There's no obligation but JS was placed at MGCC. If he does well he is likely to be at AU.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/former_mcgill-toolen_star_aubu.html

Yes, he was "placed" by Auburn. That means we talked to the coaches at his prospective JUCO on his behalf. There is no obligation on the part of either party.

That said, the guy has a definite talent at receiver and I hope we get him back.

Yes, he was "placed" by Auburn. That means we talked to the coaches at his prospective JUCO on his behalf. There is no obligation on the part of either party.

That said, the guy has a definite talent at receiver and I hope we get him back.

I know what it means, Mikey. In fact, I said that.

A few months ago JS said he knows JJ is the immediate future at QB for Auburn. He is not trying to come into Auburn s a QB anymore. He will play WR or wherever needed. He will play WR at MGCCC in 2014. He is still committed to Auburn and Auburn is still committed to bringing him back. To anyone scoffing at the chances Auburn brings him back, schools do not request a juco to redshirt a kid as Auburn did here unless they fully intend to bring the kid back. Things may change but that is how it is as of now.

A few months ago JS said he knows JJ is the immediate future at QB for Auburn. He is not trying to come into Auburn s a QB anymore. He will play WR or wherever needed. He will play WR at MGCCC in 2014. He is still committed to Auburn and Auburn is still committed to bringing him back. To anyone scoffing at the chances Auburn brings him back, schools do not request a juco to redshirt a kid as Auburn did here unless they fully intend to bring the kid back. Things may change but that is how it is as of now.

That is 100% correct. While we were high on him before, a year of maturity athletically and personally, have only increased our interest. The staff is very high on him. One of the issues, and perhaps a moral commitment to Jason, is the way his academics got really screwed up at the last minute: not our compliance department's finest moment. Earnest Robinson was not a surprise, Jason's non-qualifier was a surprise.

Thanks for sharing as always Pops!

If this was a surprise then you are right on the mistake by compliance. Friends who have connections to Mobile were telling me he had academic issues months in advance of NSD.

That is 100% correct. While we were high on him before, a year of maturity athletically and personally, have only increased our interest. The staff is very high on him. One of the issues, and perhaps a moral commitment to Jason, is the way his academics got really screwed up at the last minute: not our compliance department's finest moment. Earnest Robinson was not a surprise, Jason's non-qualifier was a surprise.

JS's problems were from his freshman & soph years. So I was told.

It's great to hear he will be coming to AU.I think this guy will be a great WR for AU.He was AUsome in the Ala - Ms allstar game as WR and had only played the position for a few days.

JS's problems were from his freshman & soph years. So I was told.

You and E are both correct, but compliance thought they had it worked out. At least one person lost his job over it.

It's great to hear he will be coming to AU.I think this guy will be a great WR for AU.He was AUsome in the Ala - Ms allstar game as WR and had only played the position for a few days.

He played WR most of his high school career before his senior year.

And he'll probably play WR at AU-- but after seeing how unstoppable his offense can be with a quick, fast and athletic QB, I won't be surprised at Gus experimenting with him at QB.

Thanks for the info.I had only heard of him playing QB.Any way he looked good to me at WR.

He played a lot of QB as a JR.

turns out that a family member of mine taught him at his high school and they said that he was a wonderful kid and very good person so that's good!

Based on what I saw HS highlights of his performance and his upside, I think he’s certainly worthy of being given a shot at QB first. I'd say he molded his game after Nick Marshall. JMO. It'll be a tough battle between Jeremy Johnson, Sean White, Tyler Queen and Jason Smith in 2015.

Based on what I saw HS highlights of his performance and his upside, I think he’s certainly worthy of being given a shot at QB first. I'd say he molded his game after Nick Marshall. JMO. It'll be a tough battle between Jeremy Johnson, Sean White, Tyler Queen and Jason Smith in 2015.

Petsonall, I'd be surprised if anyone beats JJ out after NM leaves. We have a lot of solid.QB talent coming in. If he comes back I would think he would be as a WR. One thing's for sure. Gus will utilize his talents where needed of he's back.

He is playing WR in JUCO. He is not going to come into Auburn and magically beat out a bunch of QB recruits, several of which would by then have already been on the roster and practicing at QB.

Based on what I saw HS highlights of his performance and his upside, I think he's certainly worthy of being given a shot at QB first. I'd say he molded his game after Nick Marshall. JMO. It'll be a tough battle between Jeremy Johnson, Sean White, Tyler Queen and Jason Smith in 2015.

Petsonall, I'd be surprised if anyone beats JJ out after NM leaves. We have a lot of solid.QB talent coming in. If he comes back I would think he would be as a WR. One thing's for sure. Gus will utilize his talents where needed of he's back.

I'm pretty confident JJ will be the starter and primary QB if healthy. The only other player I see that could get significant touches is a great running athlete for whom Gus puts in a package of plays.

Archived