2015 4* JUCO ATH Jason Smith recommits to AU!

RunInRed

Smith will have at least as much time at AU as Marshall has had. Again if he has the skills Gus is looking for expect to see him utilized at QB.

True, but Smith won't be coming into the situation Marshall came into. When Marshall showed up, the QB position was vacant except for true freshman JJ. When Smith shows up he'll have to stand in line behind at least three others. Besides which, does it look like ANYBODY but JJ will be our QB for the next two years? I think not, and Smith is too good at WR to sit on the bench as the second team QB.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I thought JJ took another step forward. His passing was excellent and he showed he could run the ball and he looked faster making decisions. I was impressed. I see JJ going to the NFL.

Smith will have at least as much time at AU as Marshall has had. Again if he has the skills Gus is looking for expect to see him utilized at QB.

True, but Smith won't be coming into the situation Marshall came into. When Marshall showed up, the QB position was vacant except for true freshman JJ. When Smith shows up he'll have to stand in line behind at least three others. Besides which, does it look like ANYBODY but JJ will be our QB for the next two years? I think not, and Smith is too good at WR to sit on the bench as the second team QB.

If I understand your view correctly, you believe a Nick Marshall skill set athlete with two years to play could come in next year and not play QB because Johnson has the job sewed up. I don't agree with this primarily because I think Gus is moving in the direction of taking a highly skilled QB and designing specific packages for that individual. Whether or not Smith will develop in that area or not I can't say nor do I think anyone can at this time. I just don't believe Johnson will give us the dual threat capability I think Gus would like opens the possibility for improving the running game by having a shifty QB with a good set of wheels.

If I understand your view correctly, you believe a Nick Marshall skill set athlete with two years to play could come in next year and not play QB because Johnson has the job sewed up. I don't agree with this primarily because I think Gus is moving in the direction of taking a highly skilled QB and designing specific packages for that individual. Whether or not Smith will develop in that area or not I can't say nor do I think anyone can at this time. I just don't believe Johnson will give us the dual threat capability I think Gus would like opens the possibility for improving the running game by having a shifty QB with a good set of wheels.

Then there is no explaining us signing Sean White. From everything I have followed in recruiting, Gus has been looking at taking a pro and DT QB and letting composition decide the winner. The O will be geared towards the better QBs strengths. If that's a pro style, he needs accurate precision passers, that is SW. It is not a requirement of the O to be mobile, and as much as Nick may have improved his passing it still is not enough of a threat to abandon the zone-read.

Gus doesn't require or necessarily even want a true dual-threat QB. Jeremy Johnson, Sean White and Tyler Queen are evidence of that. What he does want is a mobile passer who can keep plays alive with his feet and keep defenses honest. We'll still run some zone read after Marshall graduates, but that is not the "identity" of Gus's offense. We didn't even fully commit to it until a few games into the season last year, when Gus realized that was what our best chance is with Marshall. The level of success we've had with it surprised everybody, probably including Gus.

As for Gus designing packages for an individual, that's not what is going on with Johnson this season. He's running the same offense when he's in the game; he's simply exercising the options within the framework of the existing offense that are more suited to his skills. Example: there was lots of discussion about him running the zone read against Arkansas but handing it off each time and never keeping it. Same offense, just executed differently. No special package.

There are a couple reasons for Johnson getting reps this season when circumstances permit (he needs experience, he's not going to lose any games for us, starters frequently get pulled in blowouts, etc). Gus has not yet shown any inclination to run multiple QBs as a strategic option*. Notice you haven't seen Johnson and Marshall alternate possessions, and you're probably not going to.

*The Wildcat is obviously a different situation.

^^This^^. Basically Gus just needs a talentled QB and he will tailor the system to fit the major talent qualities. It's all about the options of the system, not changing the whole O to fit the QB.

Yeah. And further to my long-winded post above, I don't mean to say "Gus doesn't want a DT QB." Not at all. I just don't think he necessarily prefers them over talented pocket passers. I do think he values mobility, again as evidenced by the guys currently in the pipeline.

McLoofus, I agree with most of what you said except that I don't think Johnson is running zone read or read option as much. It looks similar, but he's not actually reading. It's either designed run or designed play action, more often than not. Interestingly, Marshall was the same at the start of last season. Go back and watch the Wazzou game (if you have it stored on DVR). We didn't actually run the read plays as much. We put less on Nick's plate until we "discovered" his potential. At least for now, the playcalling with Jeremy is different than the playcalling with Nick.

McLoofus, I agree with most of what you said except that I don't think Johnson is running zone read or read option as much. It looks similar, but he's not actually reading. It's either designed run or designed play action, more often than not. Interestingly, Marshall was the same at the start of last season. Go back and watch the Wazzou game (if you have it stored on DVR). We didn't actually run the read plays as much. We put less on Nick's plate until we "discovered" his potential. At least for now, the playcalling with Jeremy is different than the playcalling with Nick.

I think this is right. I did think JJ had more Mobility this past week. On his TD run, he showed good speed.

The interesting thing about the QB situation is that time will tell what Gus will do. Having two different skill set QBs to prepare for gives us the advantage. I think this will continue to be expanded in the future.

I think this is right. I did think JJ had more Mobility this past week. On his TD run, he showed good speed.

Well, that's pretty much exactly what I said, but... yeah.

Well, that's pretty much exactly what I said, but... yeah.

Johnson can run the ball pretty good. Won't see him run it much this year but he will run it some next year. He was running at the scrim I went to. He is going to surprise some teams next year.

Johnson can run the ball pretty good. Won't see him run it much this year but he will run it some next year. He was running at the scrim I went to. He is going to surprise some teams next year.

Yep! Those saying he can't run the ball didn't see him play in high school. He can run it, he simply has not been asked to run it in AU games. (YET)

Yep! Those saying he can't run the ball didn't see him play in high school. He can run it, he simply has not been asked to run it in AU games. (YET)

Please don't say you made any decisions on his ability from high school.....they will come for you, this is the SEC!

Please don't say you made any decisions on his ability from high school.....they will come for you, this is the SEC!

Let 'em come. I got Mikey's back on this one (I'll take Things I thought I'd never say for $1000 Alex) even though he does not need it. I watched JJ play 4 years at Carver and can tell you w/out a shadow of a doubt that he can run. It's a different still than Nick but will be affective in this offense.

Let 'em come. I got Mikey's back on this one (I'll take Things I thought I'd never say for $1000 Alex) even though he does not need it. I watched JJ play 4 years at Carver and can tell you w/out a shadow of a doubt that he can run. It's a different still than Nick but will be affective in this offense.

Come on, y'all. Official story is that Nick can't pass and JJ can't run. Get it straight!

(I haven't seen anybody say that JJ can't run. I've only seen people say that he can't run as well as Marshall and that he won't be able to run as successfully against SEC defenses as he did in high school. These are fairly obvious concepts that don't diminish his abilities at all. Saying that Darvin Adams can't catch as well as Calvin Johnson is not the same as saying Darvin Adams can't catch. Saying Tre Mason won't rush for 1,800+ in the NFL is not the same as saying that Tre Mason can't run. I don't understand how this argument keeps getting perpetuated.)

I'm so happy Jason Smith is enjoying a successful season so far.

(I haven't seen anybody say that JJ can't run. I've only seen people say that he can't run as well as Marshall and that he won't be able to run as successfully against SEC defenses as he did in high school.

I have seen a lot more said than that. I've seen posters on various boards post good bye to the read option after Nick leaves because JJ has not for the most part ran it yet.

(I haven't seen anybody say that JJ can't run. I've only seen people say that he can't run as well as Marshall and that he won't be able to run as successfully against SEC defenses as he did in high school.

I have seen a lot more said than that. I've seen posters on various boards post good bye to the read option after Nick leaves because JJ has not for the most part ran it yet.

I stand corrected. And they're dummies.

Come on, y'all. Official story is that Nick can't pass and JJ can't run. Get it straight!

I learned the hard way. I went against this logic and brought up what I saw watching him do in football and b ball in high school....I was cyber attacked by 4 people, called a moron and one guy even typed out the word sigh because I was so stupid. I don't have you and ellitor's clout. I'm trying to stomp with the big dogs too early I guess

I learned the hard way. I went against this logic and brought up what I saw watching him do in football and b ball in high school....I was cyber attacked by 4 people, called a moron and one guy even typed out the word sigh because I was so stupid. I don't have you and ellitor's clout. I'm trying to stomp with the big dogs too early I guess

WOW! You may not care how I feel about it but I hate people acted that way to you. Had I realized this I would have had your back then because 1. You were right and 2. That opinion should not have been slammed.

Of course decisions are made based on what he did in high school. That applies to every player. How do coaches know who to recruit? They base the player's ability off what he did in high school.

It's a pretty safe bet that a kid that can't dominate in high school will have a tough time in college. When a kid dominates in certain facets of the game, such as JJ dominated at running the ball, then there's a good likelihood that he can succeed at it in college.

High school ball is what separates the future big school scholarship athletes from the small school walkons.

It wasn't in the recruiting section, I knew other people agreed with me but as you probably know sometimes it's the timing of your post and if you exchanged words with a couple of people like a week ago.....lol. It's all good though glad to see some people whose posts I actually respect agree with me

Archived