2015 4* JUCO ATH Jason Smith recommits to AU!

RunInRed

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, any of you notice what these kids are doing with the ball after plays? They are handing them to the refs...Gus style

• 4 weeks later...

He was probably assured before, but I would think after today's news about Clint Moseley, that Jason Smith is now almost guaranteed a fair shot at playing QB. He is also a good WR so we would miss out on that but he will fit well in Gus's system as a QB too. Nice problem for Gus to have.

Auburn will tell him where to play and he will listen. No worries. He is a good kid and will probably excel at all he does on the football field. AU will tell him where he will excel best for our and his future.

reminds me of ricardo louis' hs film. not as thick but strong. didnt look overly fast but had moves and read angles well. punt returner is a good spot.

He was probably assured before, but I would think after today's news about Clint Moseley, that Jason Smith is now almost guaranteed a fair shot at playing QB. He is also a good WR so we would miss out on that but he will fit well in Gus's system as a QB too. Nice problem for Gus to have.

I agree but it may be out of necessity. In my book Wallace did okay given the cards he had to play. Frazier has shown me nothing yet. That's it. Johnson and Smith will make four assuming they sign, qualify and neither pulls a Zeke Pike. We are mighty thin. I also think Johnny Football has proven you do not have to be 6'5" to be a QB.

I agree but it may be out of necessity. In my book Wallace did okay given the cards he had to play. Frazier has shown me nothing yet. That's it. Johnson and Smith will make four assuming they sign, qualify and neither pulls a Zeke Pike. We are mighty thin. I also think Johnny Football has proven you do not have to be 6'5" to be a QB.

I think that is one of the advantages of an option roll out QB in a HUNH offense where you are spreading out the field. The QB can get out in space and a premium is put on decision making, ball handling, finding the open receiver, quick accurate passes, running ability and speed. He doesn't have to be as tall as a pocket passer but he has to have good feet. Smith showed in his playoff games that he has a good accurate arm and he definitely has speed and running ability. It just so happens that at 6' 1", Johnny Football and Jason Smith are both the same height too. Smith definitely has the size to be able to run Gus's offense.

Frazier has shown me nothing yet.

I can't argue with what you put, however I also know that Frazier has spent his entire football life in a system like CGM's. I think this year we will see what Frazier can do and remember why CGM wanted him so badly. It's just my opinion and strong belief that with Frazier's talents and CGM's system, you will see "Kiehl Football" next year.

Jason Smith was a lot better high school QB this season than Jonathon Wallace was his senior year. How that translates to college remains to be seen, but the potential is there.

I can't argue with what you put, however I also know that Frazier has spent his entire football life in a system like CGM's. I think this year we will see what Frazier can do and remember why CGM wanted him so badly. It's just my opinion and strong belief that with Frazier's talents and CGM's system, you will see "Kiehl Football" next year.

I really hope you are right. I mean no disrespect to Kiehl but if he has been in the system all his life why was he not used more in 2011? I hope something clicks but I am not counting on it. I will end this with the disclosure that after 2003 I would have voted to bench Jason Campbell so what do I know?

TV interviewer to Gus Malzahn as Gus was walking off the field after Auburn's Bowl win against Virginia following the 2011 season: "Coach, who will be Auburn's starting QB next year?" Gus: "Frazier".

That was a firm, no qualifications answer as Gus was heading off to Arky State. That should give all of us an idea of how much Gus thinks of Frazier. I think the job is Frazier's to lose and I don't think he'll disappoint us either,.

Inferno, I have been saying this since Gus was hired, so I could not agree more. In speaking with his father after the hire I know that they were both quite relieved. They never told me this themselves, but I believe Kiehl may have seriously been considering a transfer and I would not have blamed him a bit. They both were put through a'lot last year and shouldered way more than their share of the blame. And like the true Auburn men they both are, neither of them has ever pointed fingers of blame at anyone else. (Even though they very well could have!)

Smith was the best player on the field whenever MT played. He is special. There is a HUGE difference between Wallace and Smith. Smith could easily play QB and do quite well, and he can easily play WR and do quite well.

Unless you have seen him play, you really just don't know how good he is...

It's a shame he's not an EE, cause whoever starts next year will be here this spring. Even Cam had a spring.

yes, and he needed it. he really didnt get utilized to his greatest capabilities until a few games into the season. a spring for the newbies is valuable. smith seems like the kind of kid who will be a winner, whatever he plays.

I really hope JSmith gets a real chance at QB. Problem is he is too good to be a backup and can certainly help at WR next year. We don't have the luxury to let him learn for a year like JohnnyF did at A&M. (I'm a JF fan). Once Jason becomes a star at WR (and I think he will) it would be difficult to move him to QB with all the other QBs coming in. I can't see AU ever recruiting a Johnny Football. Would probably be labeled a Div. III by some on this board. I believe Jason Smith is the closest we could have to a QB with the tools and talent of JManziel, so I hope he gets a shot.

I really hope JSmith gets a real chance at QB. Problem is he is too good to be a backup and can certainly help at WR next year. We don't have the luxury to let him learn for a year like JohnnyF did at A&M. (I'm a JF fan). Once Jason becomes a star at WR (and I think he will) it would be difficult to move him to QB with all the other QBs coming in. I can't see AU ever recruiting a Johnny Football. Would probably be labeled a Div. III by some on this board. I believe Jason Smith is the closest we could have to a QB with the tools and talent of JManziel, so I hope he gets a shot.

Jason's performance in the all star game convinced me he can contribute on day one as a wr. Combining wr with wildcat QB for him would give him the opportunity to make a lot of plays.

It's not unheard of to play WR and move back to QB. Ryan Tannehill did it and became a first round draft pick.

Smith was the best player on the field whenever MT played. He is special. There is a HUGE difference between Wallace and Smith. Smith could easily play QB and do quite well, and he can easily play WR and do quite well.

What kind of receiver is he? Courtney Taylor or Devin Aromashadu?

Inferno, I have been saying this since Gus was hired, so I could not agree more. In speaking with his father after the hire I know that they were both quite relieved. They never told me this themselves, but I believe Kiehl may have seriously been considering a transfer and I would not have blamed him a bit. They both were put through a'lot last year and shouldered way more than their share of the blame. And like the true Auburn men they both are, neither of them has ever pointed fingers of blame at anyone else. (Even though they very well could have!)

Robin (AUQBdad) and Kiehl and family are incredibly good people who I greatly admire, and probably much better people than 99%. Amazing how they have held up under such horrendous treatment by rogue football fans. Would love to see Kiehl be successful and I believe it will happen, but either way: that family seems to be some of the best people we will ever encounter. They are true Auburn Family!

Jason Smith was a lot better high school QB this season than Jonathon Wallace was his senior year. How that translates to college remains to be seen, but the potential is there.

1000% correct.

What kind of receiver is he? Courtney Taylor or Devin Aromashadu?

He has the potential to be like Amari Cooper, which in myopinion, will be the best reciever bammer has had in a LONG time.

^^^This^^^....living and working in the Mobile area I've seen and heard a lot about JS. He is a very special player. Great leadership and has a phenomenal work ethic.

Archived