2015 4* JUCO ATH Jason Smith recommits to AU!

RunInRed

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason is a very talented athlete. He will do great things on the Plains. Gold, I totally agree on Bridges too. He has NFL capabilities.

Jason was 9-13 for 120 yards with 2 Pass TDs and ran foe 107 yards on 11 carries with 4 TDs averaging 9.7 yards per attempt.

Jason was 9-13 for 120 yards with 2 Pass TDs and ran foe 107 yards on 11 carries with 4 TDs averaging 9.7 yards per attempt.

Is the plan for Jason still QB first and then WR if QB doesn't work? Or has that plan changed since he is in a different recruiting class now?

Is the plan for Jason still QB first and then WR if QB doesn't work? Or has that plan changed since he is in a different recruiting class now?

The plan is and always has been to him to get a shot at QB but staff expects him to land at WR.

If he can't beat JJ out, then he'd sit at QB for two years. That doesn't even consider White, who will have a year in the program on him, and Queen. There is no room for Smith at QB at Auburn, the position is filled. He'll make a fine WR for us, and if he has an NFL futuree it's at WR as well.

If he can't beat JJ out, then he'd sit at QB for two years. That doesn't even consider White, who will have a year in the program on him, and Queen. There is no room for Smith at QB at Auburn, the position is filled. He'll make a fine WR for us, and if he has an NFL futuree it's at WR as well.

Right, plus we all know the coaches feel great about JJ, and word is that Sean White is doing very well too.

Right, plus we all know the coaches feel great about JJ, and word is that Sean White is doing very well too.

I'm extremely high on White's potential, but "word is that Sean White is doing very well" doesn't diminish Smith's chances of beating him out at all IMHO.

Sitting 2 years behind a rock solid starter in JJ is a very compelling reason for him to change positions, though. I've argued that Smith has a legit shot at QB, but I've done so while completely ignoring that he's got shortened eligibility. Dumb me.

Queen is a non-factor at this point. If he wasn't, then the coaches wouldn't have kept courting the kid who committed to FSU.

EDIT: Non-factor is a poor choice of words. Queen and Smith have an equal shot at the gig at this point. One need only go back about 5 years to come up with 5 guys who were each the anointed one, but who never contributed at QB for Auburn.

The odds of Jason Smith beating out Jeremy Johnson are slim and none. While I think he's got the talent to be our backup, you wouldn't waste him there. If he's not starting at QB, he's going to play WR. In other words, without an injury to Johnson, Jason Smith is playing WR.

If Jason has the kind of talent Gus is looking for in a dual threat QB, he'll not sit but Gus will have a package he can run. The key is him having the skills that Gus likes. If so he would not spend two years on the bench.

I'm extremely high on White's potential, but "word is that Sean White is doing very well" doesn't diminish Smith's chances of beating him out at all IMHO.

Sitting 2 years behind a rock solid starter in JJ is a very compelling reason for him to change positions, though. I've argued that Smith has a legit shot at QB, but I've done so while completely ignoring that he's got shortened eligibility. Dumb me.

Queen is a non-factor at this point. If he wasn't, then the coaches wouldn't have kept courting the kid who committed to FSU.

EDIT: Non-factor is a poor choice of words. Queen and Smith have an equal shot at the gig at this point. One need only go back about 5 years to come up with 5 guys who were each the anointed one, but who never contributed at QB for Auburn.

Agree to disagree on this. The coaches being high on Sean at QB does not help Jason in getting looks at QB. It is a factor IMHO. The most Jason would ever see unless we have some QB injuries is a package for himself at QB.

If Jason has the kind of talent Gus is looking for in a dual threat QB, he'll not sit but Gus will have a package he can run. The key is him having the skills that Gus likes. If so he would not spend two years on the bench.

I dont think Jason will be on the bench, I hope he gets some PT at receiver.

I dont think Jason will be on the bench, I hope he gets some PT at receiver.

It really doesn't matter to me where he plays, I'm confident Gus will develop his talent and use him where he best helps the team.

Very debate. If JJ goes pro after his Junior year then maybel. If JJ stays all 4 years which means Smith can be well established at WR with 1 year left to play then no. TQ would have a better chance then.

Point of clarification here. The staff going after Dre had nothing to do with Queen and they don't have ant doubts in him at all. They fell in QB love with Dre and his ability to make every throw. It's as simple as that.

Very debate. If JJ goes pro after his Junior year then maybel. If JJ stays all 4 years which means Smith can be well established at WR with 1 year left to play then no. TQ would have a better chance then

Point taken.

Point of clarification here. The staff going after Dre had nothing to do with Queen and they don't have ant doubts in him at all. They fell in QB love with Dre and his ability to make every throw. It's as simple as that.

I don't recall Gus having many doubts in Kiehl Frazier at all, either. Again, one need not go back very far to find several rock-solid QB prospects who ended up not contributing a lick at Auburn. For the record, I'm not suggesting that there's any reason to think that Queen will add his name to that list any more than any other QB prospect. Just saying that any Auburn fan counting QB eggs before they hatch hasn't been paying attention.

Very debate. If JJ goes pro after his Junior year then maybel. If JJ stays all 4 years which means Smith can be well established at WR with 1 year left to play then no. TQ would have a better chance then

Point taken.

I don't recall Gus having many doubts in Kiehl Frazier at all, either. Again, one need not go back very far to find several rock-solid QB prospects who ended up not contributing a lick at Auburn. For the record, I'm not suggesting that there's any reason to think that Queen will add his name to that list any more than any other QB prospect. Just saying that any Auburn fan counting QB eggs before they hatch hasn't been paying attention.

I believe the best evaluation period for hit or miss QBs began when Gus was named head coach. I also believe Gus continue to develop college QB talent at a far higher level than any other coach in the country. Looking for with great anticipation each week and coming seasons to see what Gus comes up with.

McLoofus is correct. On paper, we have a great pipeline of QB's coming along. On the field, we have two that the staff is confident we can win with. It's a long, long way from a 4* prospect to becoming a winning QB at Auburn.

That having been said, J. Smith's likelihood of becoming a QB bust is just as high as the others we've mentioned and Smith's time at the position will be limited. Smith has already used his redshirt year so we don't have that option with him. That "time left" reason alone is enough to think Smith will be at WR and the QB's of future years will come from some other direction.

McLoofus is correct. On paper, we have a great pipeline of QB's coming along. On the field, we have two that the staff is confident we can win with. It's a long, long way from a 4* prospect to becoming a winning QB at Auburn.

That having been said, J. Smith's likelihood of becoming a QB bust is just as high as the others we've mentioned and Smith's time at the position will be limited. Smith has already used his redshirt year so we don't have that option with him. That "time left" reason alone is enough to think Smith will be at WR and the QB's of future years will come from some other direction.

Most of us, like you, think that it will work itself out and he ends up at WR. But I've been thinking about this. The one thing he has over the others is speed, just like Nick. He could very well light it up at QB in his 1 JUCO year, also like Nick, and then he would be the closest thing to a pure duel threat QB we would have. Now, he won't beat out JJ but who's to say what happens after that. You just never know.

Here's the thing "after that", meaning after JJ, Smith will have only one season left. I know Cam had only one season but the likelihood of that lightening striking twice is not good, IMHO.

I don't see Smith wasting away on the bench for two years as a reserve QB and I also don't see him playing WR for two years and then making the move to QB for his final year.

Any of that could happen, but unless JJ gets a career-ending injury, none of that is likely.

Smith will have at least as much time at AU as Marshall has had. Again if he has the skills Gus is looking for expect to see him utilized at QB.

Archived