2015 4* JUCO ATH Jason Smith recommits to AU!

RunInRed

The last player I can remember Auburn signing out of high school, going to JUCO and re-signing with AU two years later was Brandon Jacobs. That was in 2003, ten years ago. There have been a bunch of non-qualifiers signed since then but Jacobs is the only one I can recall showing back up and he was only here one year before moving on again. If anybody can recall a more recent player that fits that description, please post.

In general, when they have to go the JUCO route it's the end of the story for the player at Auburn.

Does Nick Fairley not fall in this category.....

Yes, and Eltoro Freeman I believe.

Yes they both do, that's why I asked. Jacobs was the only one I could think up and one seemed too few given the large number of non-qualifiers we've signed in the past ten years or so. Still, the odds are very poor that a guy returns.

Certainly that's been our history.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason is one that we should keep tabs on. Wonder if he could do a Nick Marshall and win the QB job? Something to consider anyway. He would make a heck of a slot receiver as would Nick Marshall.

Jason is one that we should keep tabs on. Wonder if he could do a Nick Marshall and win the QB job? Something to consider anyway. He would make a heck of a slot receiver as would Nick Marshall.

Once these kids go the JUCO route they usually end up where than can get immediate playing time. AU is building a strong core of QBs and WRs and JMO, but within the next few years we won't be looking for so many JUCOs to fill our openings.

The last player I can remember Auburn signing out of high school, going to JUCO and re-signing with AU two years later was Brandon Jacobs. That was in 2003, ten years ago. There have been a bunch of non-qualifiers signed since then but Jacobs is the only one I can recall showing back up and he was only here one year before moving on again. If anybody can recall a more recent player that fits that description, please post.

In general, when they have to go the JUCO route it's the end of the story for the player at Auburn.

Yes they both do, that's why I asked. Jacobs was the only one I could think up and one seemed too few given the large number of non-qualifiers we've signed in the past ten years or so. Still, the odds are very poor that a guy returns.

The plan is for Jason to be back at AU this January. Jason wants to be at AU and AU wants him back. Kid is a stud player.

The plan is for Jason to be back at AU this January. Jason wants to be at AU and AU wants him back. Kid is a stud player.

That is outdated my friend. Smith started last week at the juco DQ and Moncrief are at. The earliest he can come to Auburn now is January 2015

Auburn's transfer admissions standards.

Policy on the Admission of

Transfer Students and Transfer Credit

Transfer applicants must provide official transcripts (not duplicated or faxed copies) from each

college attended, including any at which the applicant enrolled while in high school.

A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale on all college work attempted

and eligibility to reenter the institution last attended are required to be considered for transfer admission.

Transfer applicants who were not eligible for admission to Auburn when they graduated from high school must present a minimum of 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of college credit. All transfer students who have attempted 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of college work must have earned a cumulative 2.5 GPA in at least 30 quarter hours, or 20 semester hours, of standard academic courses

as required in Auburn University’s Core Curriculum, in addition to the overall 2.5 cumulative average. These 30 quarter hours, or 20 semester hours, must include at least one course in each of the following areas:

English (college-level composition or literature), History, Mathematics-approved core mathematics for articulation and general studies (or its equivalent from other institutions) and Natural Science with a laboratory.

Admission of transfer students to the university is contingent on availability of space.

Mississippi Gulf Coast is on a semester system. A student there has to take at least 12 hours per semester to be a full time student.

Auburn's transfer admissions standards.

Policy on the Admission of

Transfer Students and Transfer Credit

Transfer applicants must provide official transcripts (not duplicated or faxed copies) from each

college attended, including any at which the applicant enrolled while in high school.

A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale on all college work attempted

and eligibility to reenter the institution last attended are required to be considered for transfer admission.

Transfer applicants who were not eligible for admission to Auburn when they graduated from high school must present a minimum of 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of college credit. All transfer students who have attempted 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of college work must have earned a cumulative 2.5 GPA in at least 30 quarter hours, or 20 semester hours, of standard academic courses

as required in Auburn University’s Core Curriculum, in addition to the overall 2.5 cumulative average. These 30 quarter hours, or 20 semester hours, must include at least one course in each of the following areas:

English (college-level composition or literature), History, Mathematics-approved core mathematics for articulation and general studies (or its equivalent from other institutions) and Natural Science with a laboratory.

Admission of transfer students to the university is contingent on availability of space.

Mississippi Gulf Coast is on a semester system. A student there has to take at least 12 hours per semester to be a full time student.

I could be wrong here, but the thinking has been that the NCAA requires more than this. I think the non-qualifier has to GRADUATE from JUCO before he's eligible to go on scholarship. That would mean Smith can't make it in until the 2015 season.

NEW

NCAA

Junior College

Transfer Rules

Beginning with student athletes first enrolling in college in August

2012, there will be new Junior College Transfer Rules.

The changes include a financial aid, practice, and competition component and a financial aid and practice only component.

Financial Aid and Practice Only Component:

The current rules will be used to determine if they are eligible for aid and practice. An initial eligibility status as a Qualifier or Non-Qualifier must be determined.

Competition Component:

Qualifier

Spend at least one full time term at the JUCO, have a 2.50 GPA, have an average of 12 transferrable hours per semester, no more than 2 PE credit hours can be used (A 4-2-4 transfer must also graduate and one year elapse since departure from original 4 year school).

Non-Qualifier:

Graduate from the JUCO, have a minimum of 48 transferrable hours with a 2.50 GPA, that includes 6 hours of English, 3 hours of Math and 3 hours of Natural and

Physical Science, no more than 2 PE credit hours can be used and attend a JUCO for at least three full time semesters

NEW

NCAA

Junior College

Transfer Rules

The changes include a financial aid, practice, and competition component and a financial aid and practice only component.

The current rules will be used to determine if they are eligible for aid and practice. An initial eligibility status as a Qualifier or Non-Qualifier must be determined.

Competition Component:

Qualifier

Spend at least one full time term at the JUCO, have a 2.50 GPA, have an average of 12 transferrable hours per semester, no more than 2 PE credit hours can be used (A 4-2-4 transfer must also graduate and one year elapse since departure from original 4 year school).

Non-Qualifier:

Graduate from the JUCO, have a minimum of 48 transferrable hours with a 2.50 GPA, that includes 6 hours of English, 3 hours of Math and 3 hours of Natural and

Physical Science, no more than 2 PE credit hours can be used and attend a JUCO for at least three full time semesters

There we have it then, Smith will have to graduate from JUCO before Auburn can consider him. Thanks for doing the digging ausburn.

NEW

NCAA

Junior College

Transfer Rules

Competition Component:

Qualifier

Non-Qualifier:

There we have it then, Smith will have to graduate from JUCO before Auburn can consider him. Thanks for doing the digging ausburn.

Are you guys making fun of us old farts?

NEW

NCAA

Junior College

Transfer Rules

Competition Component:

Qualifier

Non-Qualifier:

That's why the JUCO decision was so significant.....at a prep school he could have done a year and then re-applied so we have to assume that he was not going to be able to get his academics in shape with prep school support.

At JUCO a lot can happen in 2 years though I read somewhere that the plan is for him to sit out a year at JUCO and to come back to AU with 3 years of eligibility. Hope it works that way.

• 4 months later...

For those who have seen him play, could he approximate Nick Marshall at QB after JC

He was a better high schol QB than Jonathan Wallace, but I don't see him playing QB at AU. We've got JJ, White and so forth. Smith was recruited strictly as a WR and I don't see that changing.

For those who have seen him play, could he approximate Nick Marshall at QB after JC

He was a better high schol QB than Jonathan Wallace, but I don't see him playing QB at AU. We've got JJ, White and so forth. Smith was recruited strictly as a WR and I don't see that changing.

I seem to recall him being told he would get a shot.

Found this article:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburns_gus_malzahn_recruiting.html

I don't see Jonahan ever playing QB for us. I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred to some I-AA team so he could play right away.

He's in JUCO. RS this year. Will have 3 yrs left after next fall if he qualifies.

I don't see Jonahan ever playing QB for us. I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred to some I-AA team so he could play right away.

He's in JUCO. RS this year. Will have 3 yrs left after next fall if he qualifies.

Never mind. Didn't realize you had changed topics from the thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a chance to run the triple offense that Marshall has perfected. But I think it'll be very tough for him to beat out Jeremy Johnson.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a chance to run the triple offense that Marshall has perfected. But I think it'll be very tough for him to beat out Jeremy Johnson.

It will be interesting to see what position he plays this fall in JUCO.

Archived