Supreme Court clears the way for medical marijuana

CShine

The Supreme Court cleared the way Tuesday for state laws allowing ill patients to smoke marijuana if a doctor recommends it.

Justices turned down the Bush administration's request to consider whether the federal government can punish doctors for recommending or perhaps just talking about the benefits of the drug to sick patients. An appeals court said the government cannot.

Nine states have laws legalizing marijuana for people with physician recommendations or prescriptions: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. And 35 states have passed legislation recognizing marijuana's medicinal value.

Even some supporters of the laws had expected the Supreme Court to step into the case. They said the court's refusal to intervene, although it does not address the merits of the case, could encourage other states to consider passing medical marijuana laws.

"It finally definitively puts to rest these federal threats against doctors and patients,'' said Graham Boyd, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney representing patients, doctors, and other groups in the case.

Robert Kampia, head of the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, said the court "has eliminated any doubt that states have the right to protect medical marijuana patients under state law, and that physicians have the right to give patients honest advice and recommendations, whether the federal government approves or not.''

The Link

There are always many medical choices to make. Sometimes different people respond better to different medicines. If a doctor and a patient decides that medical marijiuana is the best choice for that person, I have no problem with it. And, they aren't using it for a cure, they are using it to help alleviate horrible symptons for terminal patients...

Without getting into the "legalization of pot" issue, and I am sure to the surprise of many on this board, I have no problem with the MEDICAL use of marijuana - as long as it is regulated and issued by prescription, why is it any different than OxyContin or other Level 1 or 2 narcotics? No one ever said it is a cure for anything, but like a painkiller, it does help relieve some symptoms like nausea that can impede recovery (if you can't eat, you can't get better). But like painkillers, it needs to be regulated - some bubba with a pot plant out back shouldn't be able to say he is growing it for his self-treatment of glaucoma. IF it is of benefit to cancer patients or other terminally ill people, so be it. For those people (like me) who are allergic to morphine and other similar painkillers, it might be the only opportunity for relief they could get.

I agree with Jenny. We could debate whether to make it legal (as in, available for casual use like alcohol) 'til the cows come home. However, under strict supervision and restriction like a doctor giving a prescription, I don't really have a problem with it. Almost any medicine available by prescription has its plusses and minuses. It fixes some things, but has side effects that for some people can be rough.

Unfortunately this is where the do-gooders step in and say its morally bad for everybody. These people need just one week of the pain a cancer patient or glaucoma patient goes through and they'll be ready to legalize anything for relief. Its funny how its always the healthy that decide whats best for the sick!

Marijuana should be de-criminalized if not legalized altogether. That's my two cents, but you may owe me change!

Did you just smoke one, or are you agreeing with me? I am once again commencing work on my personal gallows.

Marijuana should be de-criminalized if not legalized altogether. That's my two cents, but you may owe me change!

Did you just smoke one, or are you agreeing with me? I am once again commencing work on my personal gallows.

No, CCT, I didn't just smoke one! :smokin: YES!!! I DID AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!! :cheer: Hold off on the gallows 'cause there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Subsequent posts will determine the source of the light! :thedeal:

No, CCT, I didn't just smoke one! :smokin: YES!!! I DID AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!! :cheer: Hold off on the gallows 'cause there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Subsequent posts will determine the source of the light! :thedeal:

Its always a train, man. Its always a train. :rolleyes::blink::blink:

Archived