2012 5* QB Jameis Winston (FSU signee)

RunInRed

twitter that he heard jaboo will be committing to bama by next week.

Twitter is reliable for nothing but hear-say.

Nah man, Twitter can be very reliable. I hope you're being sarcastic. I found out about the death of bin Laden about 15-20 minutes before it was on the tube on Twitter.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet this has something to do with pike....something ain't right ...

Let's not go there. It has been confirmed Trotter is leaving the team and the coaches want another QB to replace him.

Just a question, but is this seemingly renewed interest in Winston a sign by the staff that they do not have the confidence in either Frazier or Pike to lead AU back to the championships? I have read where Pike wants to enroll early.

Just a question, but is this seemingly renewed interest in Winston a sign by the staff that they do not have the confidence in either Frazier or Pike to lead AU back to the championships? I have read where Pike wants to enroll early.

Again. I think its from lack of quality QB play this year plus the lack of depth created by Trotter leaving the team.

Is Auburn allowed to contact Winston at this time? I know the coaches were banned from talking to him for some time due to a seconday violation

yes, they can or they would not have visited.

I read that ringer site and they said JW will visit uat this weekend and commit next week. He may and if that is what he wants then so be it, but I will be floored if this happens for 2 reasons:

1) If he really looked at the situation, he would realize that he would have to sit the bench for 2 more years behind Tatoo.

2) He needs to talk to Sims and Star Jackson about how that worked out for them. I am sure that Sims regrets going to uat now. What a waste.

In the end, if he chooses uat we will not see him for years anyway, maybe never.

We have KF and I think he is great, so I am not saying that JW would play at AU either, but his chances for playing QB would be higher at AU than it would for uat. Just look at the facts.

yes, they can or they would not have visited.

I read that ringer site and they said JW will visit uat this weekend and commit next week. He may and if that is what he wants then so be it, but I will be floored if this happens for 2 reasons:

1) If he really looked at the situation, he would realize that he would have to sit the bench for 2 more years behind Tatoo.

2) He needs to talk to Sims and Star Jackson about how that worked out for them. I am sure that Sims regrets going to uat now. What a waste.

In the end, if he chooses uat we will not see him for years anyway, maybe never.

We have KF and I think he is great, so I am not saying that JW would play at AU either, but his chances for playing QB would be higher at AU than it would for uat. Just look at the facts.

At the very least at AU he would have a chance to compete and not guaranteed to redshirt whereas at UAT and LSU he would definitely redshirt.

Guest Montressor

If he went to bama, I'd imagine he would RS & then start in his Soph yr (although I think he could beat out McCarron after his RS year).

IMO, I don't think we don't get both Winston & Pike.  I know teams have signed two big time QBs before, but there's no way to keep both happy.  We get one or the other.  

I bet this has something to do with pike....something ain't right ...

It has nothing to do with Pike.  Just deciding there is a need for a 2nd QB and Winston is the perfect fit for the system.

this a fact:...the updykes will have to be in dire straits to play a black quarterback...this is fact and i heard it from my own ears,once from a booster that had a son playing over there and once from one of my doctors who also,is a booster....they may play,but an excuse will be found to bench them....i don't think saban would be affected as much as coaches proir to him were...a black QB that signs with the updykes has made a major mistake

This all sounds like BS. I mean why would you decommit and turn around and commit again. Looks like if he was going to decommit from FS-WHO that he would not do anything until NSD. Sounds like somebody needs to worrying about LSU.

LSU is getting Gunner Kiel, IMO.

WHOA! Did not see that one coming Smuphy.

I know where that came from, and has some good legs.  HOWEVER, there is a new kid on the block competing for Kiel's services.  OSU and their new coach, Urban Cryer.  Man, this recruiting stuff is so fluid right now with coaches in-home visits, the coaching carousel, etc,.

Bama wouldn't want him to play baseball in all likelyhood....but they might burn a scholly to give it a shot.

Deep down they may not want him to, but Saban did tell him, and many other recruits that it's fine with him if they want to play baseball.

Any coach should be OK with this. You run the risk of missing a good player otherwise.

But saban also has a track record for telling these kids what they want to hear and then yanking the rug out from under them once they get signed. Saban has certainly "Processed" a ton of players in 4 years.

So has something changed with Winston playing MLB? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed that he was an early round draft pick and would not be playing college ball anywhere.

I'm not big on guys like this who could go pro in baseball at any moment. Usually if they get hit hard one good time they start thinking awfully hard about that baseball money. Just ask Parker....

So has something changed with Winston playing MLB? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed that he was an early round draft pick and would not be playing college ball anywhere.

I'm not big on guys like this who could go pro in baseball at any moment. Usually if they get hit hard one good time they start thinking awfully hard about that baseball money. Just ask Parker....

In baseball they can be drafted out of HS. If the team that drafts him doesn't sign him by mid-August (I think it is) they lose his rights. If that kid attends a 4 year school he can not be drafted again until after his third year in school. If we could sign him I would take my chances he wouldn't sign a pro contract in baseball this summer.

this a fact:...the updykes will have to be in dire straits to play a black quarterback...this is fact and i heard it from my own ears,once from a booster that had a son playing over there and once from one of my doctors who also,is a booster....they may play,but an excuse will be found to bench them....i don't think saban would be affected as much as coaches proir to him were...a black QB that signs with the updykes has made a major mistake

Ever hear of Andrew Zow?

What has changed in the MLB as you asked it is the new Collective Bargaining Agreement greatly reduces the amount of money teams can offer draft picks, especially high round picks. This gives colleges a better chance of keeping kids that sign with them on NSD.

Guest Montressor

Saban controls Alabama football & would start anyone who gives him the best chance to win regardless of skin color.  The bama boosters (who now have little to no say, they sold that right when they hired Saban) you allude to will just have to deal with it.

I see, thanks for the info guys! Still sounds like a risk with the limited number of scholarships we can give out but i guess if the coaches sign him then they believe he'll stick around a few years at Auburn.

Ever hear of Andrew Zow?

Isn't that the guy who got booed off the field in favor of Tyler (I can't throw an accurate 5 yard pass) Watts?  :dunno:

Trotter has already graduated and is currently working on his masters degree. There appears to be little reason for him to be on the team next year.

As for him telling the coaches two weeks ago, I read it on the internet so it much be true. (however, unlike most interned readings this one actually makes sense)

And if we have learned anything over the last year, it is this. :P

Ever hear of Andrew Zow?

Isn't that the guy who got booed off the field in favor of Tyler (I can't throw an accurate 5 yard pass) Watts?  :dunno:

Zow threw for almost 6000 yards at Bama and played 4 years there.  At the time Zow was Alabama's all-time passing leader and had the record for most TD passes.  If you're inferring race had something to do with Watts replacing Zow, I believe it started with Zow's injury to his ankle.  Somebody probably knows better about it than me. 

And I will never forgive you for making me dig into Andrew Zow and Watts stat bios.  I feel dirty right now.  :P

Saban controls Alabama football & would start anyone who gives him the best chance to win regardless of skin color.  The bama boosters (who now have little to no say, they sold that right when they hired Saban) you allude to will just have to deal with it.

I agree with this, but the fact remains that he would not see the field for at least 3 years (2 sitting behind mctatoo). Also, what about Sims? Transfer? But..whatever.

I think we are in dire straights at the QB position, not talent wise, but in depth.  Trotter may be leaving and Moseley struggled quite a bit this year.  I still think KF is the future, but they need someone who can compete with him to be the starter, which will make him better.

Also, based on what we have all been hearing, it is a possibility that CM could transfer if he does not win the starting job next year, which he will likely not win.  Imagine if Trotter were to leave and Moseley were to transfer, we would only have two scholarship QBs.  I think KF will do well as our starter next year, but if he were to go down with an injury, the only place we have to turn is a true freshman QB.  Also, it is still my belief that the coaches would like to keep two years between Pike and Frazier, which they cannot do if they are the only two scholarship QBs on our roster.

Guest Montressor

I agree with this, but the fact remains that he would not see the field for at least 3 years (2 sitting behind mctatoo). Also, what about Sims? Transfer? But..whatever.

If Winston chose bama, I imagine Sims would either transfer or move to another position.  I don't know what positions he played in HS, or much about him.  

Archived