Note on Auburn Run-Defense

StatTiger

Will Auburn improve upon run-defense in 2014? It needs to for Auburn to make another championship run. Last season was the Year of the Quarterback in the SEC. I believe this season could be the Year of the Running Back in the conference.

During the 125 games under Tommy Tuberville, Auburn's defense allowed over 200-yards rushing on 11 occasions or 1 every 11.4 games.

During the 66 games since Tuberville left Auburn, the defense has allowed over 200-yards rushing, 23 times or 1 every 2.9 games. Auburn was 11-12 in those 23 games.

During the last 25 conference games, Auburn has allowed an average of 204.4 yards rushing on 5.08 yards per attempt.

National Rankings in Run-Defense over past 25 years....

1989: 20th

1990: 21st

1991: 48th

1992: 11th

1993: 21st

1994: 17th

1995: 49th

1996: 32nd

1997: 22nd

1998: 19th

1999: 15th

2000: 15th

2001: 42nd

2002: 46th

2003: 7th

2004: 12th

2005: 22nd

2006: 45th

2007: 29th

2008: 54th

2009: 78th

2010: 9th

2011: 94th

2012: 97th

2013: 62nd

It appears 2008 was the first season the run-defense began to truly slip, failing to recover except for 1 season. It's difficult to become a consistent or dominant defense without having a solid run-defense. From 1990-2013 Auburn has compiled a record of 138-32-2 (.808), when holding opponent to under 140-yards rushing.

definitely got to have the run defense in full swing come the georgia game, need to contain gurshall,RHINO package should do wonders as long as we utilize it well

Ouch! those stats tell me why the D has not looked good the last several years. If you can't stop the run in the SEC you are not going to win to many games.

Even though its never been as vaunted as the rushing defense, essentially the same thing stands for out pass defense.

If you can only stop one element, it is better to be more efficient at defending the run than the pass. Even in today's game, running the ball and defending the run will win the majority of your games.

Even though its never been as vaunted as the rushing defense, essentially the same thing stands for out pass defense.

If you can only stop one element, it is better to be more efficient at defending the run than the pass. Even in today's game, running the ball and defending the run will win the majority of your games.

Of course remember your previous posts where you smartly highlighted the importance of not giving up big plays on D of any kind. That IMHO continues to be the area (among many) in which we need to improve most on D. It's ironic how well in that category our D did in the national title game (surrendered big play on special teams and missed big plays on O notwithstanding), unfortunately giving up the big play on the final drive. I could see giving up big plays in Muschamps (e.g.) all or nothing D style but not so much with ole Ellis.

I like that 30+ ranking jump the D gave us this past year. Repeat that and we'll be well on our way to getting back to AU D!

Of course remember your previous posts where you smartly highlighted the importance of not giving up big plays on D of any kind. That IMHO continues to be the area (among many) in which we need to improve most on D. It's ironic how well in that category our D did in the national title game (surrendered big play on special teams and missed big plays on O notwithstanding), unfortunately giving up the big play on the final drive. I could see giving up big plays in Muschamps (e.g.) all or nothing D style but not so much with ole Ellis.

Dang, canuck! I was all set to praise you for not using the words 'ole Ellis' in your post! Then I got to the last two words ....

:fish:

He can't resist. Even in the face of obvious improvement in the area being discussed. He had to change the subject to find a way to criticize our coach.

I think you have to look at both run and pass defense, because if one of them is seriously deficient, opposing teams will exploit that weakness.

2008 - 54th (run) and 39th (pass)

2009 - 78th (run) and 106th (pass)

2010 - 9th (run) and 109th (pass)

2011 - 94th (run) and 38th (pass)

2012 - 97th (run) and 29th (pass)

2013 - 62nd (run) and 109th (pass)

As weak as Auburn's defense was during the Chizik era with Roof and VanGorder as coordinators, the 2013 defense under Ellis Johnson was even worse. It's hard to imagine the defense not being better this year, just because it was so abysmal last year.

Look no farther than the 2010 team. They had a number of weaknesses, maybe more than a lot of Championship teams do, but they did those two things.

I think you have to look at both run and pass defense, because if one of them is seriously deficient, opposing teams will exploit that weakness.

As weak as Auburn's defense was during the Chizik era with Roof and VanGorder as coordinators, the 2013 defense under Ellis Johnson was even worse. It's hard to imagine the defense not being better this year, just because it was so abysmal last year.

Clearly the takeaway from this is that we should shoot for always having the 109th ranked pass defense & the run defense doesn't really matter.

This might be crazy, but it occurs to me that teams didn't really have to pass against us in 2012. In fact, I'd love to know how many passes were attempted against us in the 2nd half by the opponent's QB1 that year.

The bad pass ranking for last year can be attributed to 3 things: 1. Manziel to Evans, 2. 4th quarter UGA, 3. 200 yards passing for bama on 2 plays..... I don't think it was the scheme that attributed to that bad ranking as much as it was the players not making plays. But time will tell on that.

And people definitely didn't need to pass much against us in 2012 because they were already up by about 3 scores by the end of the 1st quarter.

We've go to do a lot better then 62nd best against the run. If not, then Gus needs to start looking for a new DC and trash that 4-2-5.

I think the stats here are a bit deceiving. Our defense would often rise to the challenge when we needed them and we can attribute many stands they made to us winning games. 2012 didn't have that capability. Just looking at the defense and the way they played last year, they flew to the ball and tackled better. They actually looked competent for the most part save for the trash plays they would give up every now and then. I think if we were to watch a game from 2012 and then from 2013 we'd easily see a difference. I know because I've done it. We trash the 2013 defense way more than we should.

As bad as the D was at times.....it was also great at key times...pivotal moments. .which I'll take any day. The D will improve, it gets old continuing to hear people continually bash EJ in his first year coaching these kids...in a new system and basically had to start from scratch re-teaching these guys how to play sound D techniques again. Give them a couple years

And I'll add.....all this negativity after going to the damn NCG and giving FSU all they wanted and then some. Minus a blown laneaassignment on a kickoff due to an injury and a missed tackle on a big pass play near the end of the game, we owned them in that game. So..try to imagine what this team will be like in year 2...then think about when EJ gets the players he wants for his system i.e. big, rangy safeties and a true Star backer...if that doesn't comfort you I don't know what will. WDE.

Archived