Iron Bowl Game Report Card

StatTiger

The game essentially played out the way I thought with the defense keeping Auburn in the game the majority of the way but the offense unable to carry their weight. Though Tom Ritter's crew turned a blind eye to some obvious holds by Alabama, it doesn't change the fact Auburn was beat up front. Auburn came into the game ranked No. 127 in tackles for loss (ratio), managing only one tackle for the loss the entire game. The majority of run-pressure by the Auburn defense came when Auburn blitzed off the edge. The non-holding calls are what set off Will Muschamp during the 30-yard penalty drive that allowed UAT to go up 22-13. At this point, it was obvious Tom Ritter's crew was NEVER going to call a holding penalty on UAT. With that being said, Alabama did indeed beat Auburn up front but this was a key turning point in the game.

The offensive game plan was going to be limited based on the play of Jeremy Johnson this season, but the junior quarterback was given opportunities to make a difference in the game. Of his 23 pass attempts, 43 percent were beyond 10-yards of the LOS but Johnson completed only 2 of the 11 attempts. Auburn had their moments to steal the halftime lead with a poorly thrown pass by Johnson to Ricardo Louis in the end zone on 3rd & 2 and Blake Countess dropping another pick-6 opportunity. These are the types of plays legends in the Iron Bowl are built upon, but the Tigers squandered some of their opportunities. The inability to cash in on these opportunities defines Auburn's 2015 regular season.

Though special teams had a passing grade, Auburn needed them to deliver one monumental play during the game, which never came. Every phase of the game missed on opportunities to make plays during the contest, which they could not afford to do, facing a better team. Auburn is now 6-6 on the season and should obtain a bowl invite. It has been a season of many missed opportunities, and this team was talented enough to be better than their current record. To their credit, the players never quit this season and played their hearts out against their biggest rival. Hopefully the time off will allow the Tigers to play their best game of the season in post-season play but Gus Malzahn will have some major decisions to make once the season is completed.

Game #12 Statistical Evaluation (Alabama Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [3.52] fail

02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [20.0%] fail

03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [2.46] fail

04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [25.0%] fail

05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [25.0%] pass

06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [7.35 yds] fail

07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [100.0%] pass

08) TD red zone above 60%: [0.0%] fail

09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [21.7 yds] fail

10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [28.3%] fail

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [1/1] fail

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [60.0] fail

13) At least 8 impact plays: [5] fail

14) At least 2 big plays: [1] fail

15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [119.5] fail

Score: 2 of 15 (13.3%) FAIL

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [6.90] fail

02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [31.2%] pass

03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less: [5.72] fail

04) Score 1/3 of possessions or below: [63.6%] fail

05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [9.1%] fail

06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [6.88 yds] pass

07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [100.0%] fail

08) TD red zone below 60%: [0.0%] pass

09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [42.3 yds] fail

10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [67.1%] fail

11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [2/0] fail

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [38.0] pass

13) Less than 8 impact plays: [7] pass

14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [3] fail

15) Pass rating below 125.0: [135.9] fail

Score: 5 of 15 (33.3%) FAIL

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): [40.4] (3 of 5 inside 20) pass

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [3.0] pass

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [21.0] pass

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [20.0] pass

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [26.0] pass

6) PAT's (100%): [1 of 1] pass

7) FG Pct (75% or above): [66.7%] fail

Score: 6 of 7 (85.7%) PASS

* Keep in mind that above 50% is a passing score.

War Eagle!

Another epic fail by the O. Considering that was supposedly the strength of the team, no wonder the season turned out as it did. Lots of failing grades this year all around.

Stats, how many dropped passes?

Not that many that I would classify as drops.

there was MR's obvious one at the end, but I can't remember any others

I can only think of 1. Others were just receivers not making incredible plays. Of course the receivers also made a couple of incredible plays which shouldn't have been catches that accounted for over 100 yards so I'd say the receivers as a whole did their job.

I thought the defense gave a great effort against a great running attack. The kept us in the game all the way. The lack of an effective dual threat QB doomed the Gus offense to failure this year. With a consistent offense this team would have won a bunch of the close games we ended up losing, including this one. The defense made great strides as the season progressed and should be much better next year. I just don't know where we are headed on offense but if we go into next season without an effective QB its hard to see it getting better.

The dual threat QB argument rages on... I would just leave to see a QB hit wide open receivers without them leaping, diving or spinning around.

You would "just leave" to see that. Where ya goin? ;)

Technically, MR had two on that last series, granted the first one was thrown out front a little much it still hit him in the hands.

Last year we only needed a defense to be a 10 win team. This year it was the offense.

Hate to sound optimistic but it's going to come together again.

Technically, MR had two on that last series, granted the first one was thrown out front a little much it still hit him in the hands.

I don't consider that a drop. If you have to dive, fall back or jump to get your hands on the ball, it should not be classified as a drop.

Last year we only needed a defense to be a 10 win team. This year it was the offense.

Hate to sound optimistic but it's going to come together again.

Optimism isn't allowed. Some are already hiring our new coach after next year.

Stat, what would be an acceptable win loss record in 2016 for you to advocate Gus Malzahn remaining the HC beyond next season?

wde

The dual threat QB argument rages on... I would just leave to see a QB hit wide open receivers without them leaping, diving or spinning around.

You would "just leave" to see that. Where ya goin? ;)/>

Ha, well played. "Love" is what I was going for. For now, I'm pulling for Iowa to continue their success in an old school type approach.

First topic I look for after a game.

I think the receivers should be able to catch anything that hits them in the hands despite the throw being a little off.

I count Ray having two drops in that last series.

I did finally figure out why our receivers don't block as well as the other teams. They don't hold enough.

Auburn fans, dont hang your heads too low. The team has promise. A few adjustments on offense and you'll be back in the thick of things next year. That defense is going to be dangerous as long as Muschamp is there (keep in mind, this is year 1 of his returned tenure).

I kept saying to myself over and over during the game..."if Tuberville & Borges are on that sideline, Auburn wins this one by 2 TDs"

Good game. Keep your heads up.

I wonder how this game would have turned out if we had a Healthy Sean White or Taylor Queen....I think with either of those (given that Queen had earlier playing time) we would have pulled the upset...

If everything stayed the same except you switch out JJ for SW I think we have a much better chance to win the game. OK so SW isn't a dual threat. But at least he's a single threat which #6 couldn't even get to. I also think our offensive playcalling isn't as limited with SW in there which -- depending on if SW answered the bell -- could've worked in our favor. But man, JJ....what the heck happened? Was he too cocky going into the season with everyone saying he'll be a Heisman candidate? Did it affect his work ethic as that had been reported but the possibility of it being true was disputed on here because if it's not stating rainbows and lollipops about AU they must be wrong? Did he just never have it in the first place and looked good in spot duty because of lack of true defensive attention on him? So many questions. Forgive the grammar errors please

Archived