2016 Spring Practice - Day 5

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn

"When I look back at the first five days, I'm really pleased with our energy and focus."

Malzahn said every player has repped during the first five days of spring practice. First-, second- and third-teamers

Malzahn said today's focus was for each player to work on one specific aspect of their game.

Malzahn said new WR coach Kodi Burns "is running as much as [the players] are" in practices.

Malzahn: "Kaleb Kim is a young guy who is getting a lot of reps. We think he has a lot of potential."

Malzahn said he expects DB Rudy Ford, DB Josh Holsey and DE Paul James III to return to practice after spring break.

@JFergusonBR

Five Auburn spring practices are in the book: 'We're rotating our quarterbacks. They're all getting an opportunity,' says Gus Malzahn.

Gus Malzahn said he's 'pleased with energy, focus' of spring practice. 'The guys want to be coached. Can really feel the defensive energy.'

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says new QB John Franklin III is "fast. When he takes off running, he has the 'wow' factor."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says returning QBs Jeremy Johnson and Sean White are 'quite a bit above where they were at the end of the season.'

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn challenging players to keep up their cardio over spring break.

Malzahn on Austin Golson: "He's more confident. He knows what he's doing. He's able to work on the little things."

Rudy Ford still hasn't practiced.

@AUBlog

Chandler Cox

Auburn fullback Chandler Cox encouraged by spring practice. 'There is definitely a different feeling out there. It's a good feeling.

@AUGoldMine

Chandler Cox said he dropped to 222 pounds when he got his wisdom teeth removed. Now he's back up to around 235 and gaining strength.

@JFergusonBR

Cox on biggest lesson of freshman year: "Go week by week. ... I felt totally different from the Louisville and the Memphis games."

@AUBlog

Austin Golson

C Austin Golson on OL coach Herb Hand: "He brings something new to the line. He's very energetic... funny guy."

Auburn C Austin Golson: "It feels different out there. The energy is different." Reminds him of the season when his HS won the state title.

@JFergusonBR

Auburn center Austin Golson: "I don't even know who's at quarterback when I'm in there."

@AUBlog

Carl Lawson

Auburn DE Carl Lawson is here. He said a lot of players have been excited about going to practice. "It's a spring like I haven't had here."

Auburn DE Carl Lawson: "Every year I've been here, we've been short on D-linemen... I haven't been tired this spring."

Why did Carl Lawson decide to come back to Auburn in 2016? "I need to get better as a football player. That's about it."

Carl Lawson said he misses RB Peyton Barber these days. Sometimes he calls his name in his apartment before realizing he's not there.

AU DE Carl Lawson said he heard a crack early in the L'ville game. "I'd been out a whole year. I was gonna keep playing until I couldn't."

Auburn DE Carl Lawson on new DC Kevin Steele's coaching style: "He gets the point across to you without all the screaming."

@JFergusonBR

Auburn's Carl Lawson says he sees 'a lot more energy, a lot more leadership' in this year's spring practice

Auburn's Carl Lawson says he never felt like he was 100 percent last season after suffering hip injury in the opener

@AUGoldMine

Carl Lawson very insightful tonight in his press conference. Dude's different, confident, self aware, critical and grateful to be healthy.

@bmarcello

Well, this is more positive than the report WDE just gave. Though he did say JF3 was fast.

<3 you Lawson and Davis

Sure hope Lawson can stay healthy this year. The young man deserves a full season of playing time to establish his cred for the pros, and obviously, the defense would benefit as well.

As for the coach speak ..... :dunno:

Well, this is more positive than the report WDE just gave. Though he did say JF3 was fast.

<3 you Lawson and Davis

A lot of the pieces of the puzzle are in place to have a great year. This year has a lot of potential. Enough to be optimistic!

Our QB situation is better than we have been lead to believe on this board lately. Spring Practice mistakes have been overstated and anything that can be seen as negative has been highly exaggerated!

Just take anything you hear this off season, positive or negative, with a grain of salt.

Our QB situation is better than we have been lead to believe on this board lately.

What makes you say that?

He's a preacher man; it's his job to talk us up!

^The only one who could ever reach me...

Seriously though, I'm curious as well. Given that one report about JF3, Id be really excited if not for what WDE had said.

^The only one who could ever reach me...

Seriously though, I'm curious as well. Given that one report about JF3, Id be really excited if not for what WDE had said.

Your facts are all wrong. He claims to be a preacher man:..not the Son of a Preacher Man...yes he was...he was...mmmmm yes he was

I admit that I am a faithful member of the Sunshine Pumper Club. I help counter-balance the significant amounts of negativity on here.

The bottom line is, it's too early to write any of our QBs off at this point.

JJ has the tools, he just needs to get over the mental block. Difficult, but possible.

Sean is fearless, smart, and accurate. He can easily be a decent QB, and potentially very good.

Gus has said (Spring Coackspeak, so TIFWIW) that both are way ahead of where they were at the end of the year last year.

Queen has a lot of potential. A "pitch count" in the Spring isn't the kiss of death, but he is most likely behind the others right now.

If the only knocks on "Wow factor" JF3 is that he is skinny and he has accuracy issues, both can be improved drastically between now and September.

Gus and every other coach we have knows how important the QB position is for their financial future. I am very confident the QB position will be better this year!

At least that's my "Coach Up the fan base, Sunshine-induced, positivity preacherman" take on it.

At least that's my "Coach Up the fan base, Sunshine-induced, positivity preacherman" take on it.

That disclaimer will prevent me from arguing against anything preceding it. I hope my day gets to be as sunny as yours, Preach. WDE

That disclaimer will prevent me from arguing against anything preceding it. I hope my day gets to be as sunny as yours, Preach. WDE

I have to wear shades indoors, McLoofus!

I actually agree. I don't know if it is or isn't but I do know it's too early to be saying if someone is good, better, or worse yet.

Archived