AD search update

quietfan

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg...95398154490.xml

Auburn's AD search down to four

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

By EVAN WOODBERY

Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- Auburn has narrowed the field in its search for a new athletics director to three outside candidates who will visit campus before the Tigers' final regular-season football game against Alabama on Nov. 20.

Auburn trustee Earlon McWhorter said the three candidates are: Greg McGarity, Florida's associate AD for internal affairs; Dan Radakovich, LSU's senior associate AD; and Scott Etheridge, a former Auburn place-kicker who is now a financial executive for NBC.  McWhorter also said that one internal candidate, senior associate AD Jay Jacobs, is also a finalist.

University Senate president Willie Larkin said each candidate would meet with senate officers and members of the university's intercollegiate athletics committee, which is made up of faculty, staff and student representatives.

Larkin said the first interview is Wednesday. Two more interviews are scheduled for Nov. 16 and Nov. 18, but Larkin said he had not been informed who was being interviewed on which date.

:au:

Auburn set to interview AD candidates on campus

The Associated Press

November 08, 2004

Auburn is set to bring at least three candidates for athletic director to campus for formal interviews.

Hal Baird, athletics assistant to the president, said the school will bring in "a minimum of three" candidates to replace David Housel, who is retiring after this year.

"That hopefully will be conducted over the next couple of weeks," Baird said Monday.

He declined to identify the candidates and stopped short of calling them finalists for the job. Baird said each candidate would meet with interim President Ed Richardson and with faculty groups and other groups on campus.

Potential candidates reportedly include Southern Mississippi athletics director Richard Giannini, Birmingham financial planner and former Auburn football player Mike Kolen and Auburn senior associate athletic director Jay Jacobs.

Auburn has already held an on-campus interview with Donald E. Powell, chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in Washington, D.C.

Baird said having the nation's No. 3 football team makes the AD post more attractive to candidates.

"I'd say it creates a more positive outlook for everybody," he said.

Why do these two articles name totally different candidates?

:au:

The AP story is wrong.

"Auburn has already held an on-campus interview with Donald E. Powell, chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in Washington, D.C."

I am told he has already accepted another position.

I swear i read on ITAT that Mike Kolen had already made a trip to campus for an interview...

Kolen, Radakovich, Jacobs ahave all interviewed. Etheridge was the hot name today. I havent gotten an e-mail or phone call on it yet but I bet the choice is soon, and PF thinks it is Etheridge.

I remember hearing reports that Kolen has turned down the job already.

119956[/snapback]

Kolen didn't turn down the job. He just wasn't selected for the second round of interviews as the downselect continues. Kolen expressed disappointment but wished them well and said he would give his full support to the person selected. Personally I think we missed the boat by not at least putting Kolen in the finalists.

If they had any Damn sense, they would hire Mike Kolen, a class act and an Auburn man! However, the powers that be at Auburn have never h ad any damn sense so why would anybody expect them to do something intelligent!

I saw a poll on al.com and it was about the AD search and had Scott E name on it I was wondering where that had come from, I always liked Scott, who knows.

Scott MUST be a very intellegent young man. He RAN up through the ranks @ NBC.

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

If Scott is the man, with his NBC background he could develop the following reality shows for the Auburn Network:

Bad Ass Tiger Boss - A reality series starring Bobby Lowder. Ten contestants vie for the priviledge of being Bobby's flunky. The winner will be surprised that he will be paid minimum wage less $1.50 per cup of coffee consumed.

Survival with Big Yella Head - A reality series starring, well, you know who. Instead of a setting on an abandoned island in the Pacific, this survival series is held in a Great Southern Woods timber forrest in South Alabama. Participants to don deer suits during deer hunting season. They will be given a scavenger map for items hidden in the forrest without the use of an orange vest. Last one standing wins a semi-truckload of pressure treated 2 by 4's.

Grapple with the Hog Man - Contestants try to take food away from David Housel without being bitten. Rabies shot prior to participation required.

Tip the Tater Tot - Nationwide search to find a white male shorter than Terry Bowden.

Yep, Scott could take the Auburn Network nationwide with these new reality shows.

Scott MUST be a very intellegent young man. He RAN up through the ranks @ NBC.

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

120171[/snapback]

I knew Scott back when we were at Auburn, and he definitely was a sharp guy.

But I have to say that this is a surprise to me.

Read my update on the Front Page.

Finally! Kolen is toast. NR given. Radakovich, McGarity, Jacobs, Ethridge, (IN THAT ORDER of Rank right now If I had to guess) are interviewing next week or so..

Admin says that they seem to be very happy with CTT. I do not think they will risk hiring a BOT Stooge from what I am told. R, M, & J all top E with AD area experience. E may be a late add to pacify the old BOBs. All these guys have passed Carr btw for clearing before the other interviews. They have all been interviewed at least one time each, R may have been to AU twice. Maybe we will know later.

Final points: Contact did not like E much if at all. Made pointed attack on PF even raising his name on the PF Show. Asked me if I really thought he was a serious candidate. It was a valid point. AU folks have been sorely lacking on the Finebaum show. I know he is trying to poke us in the eye to get us to call in and start some row with him. The contact made sense. Second, He went over and over how the Admin and CTT were "growing into" trusting each other more. He stated that he thought CTT was very secure. I really pose questions to feel them out, and listen hard for the nuances. In short, I think we are still on track with getting a sound hire. If I had to guess, I would put money, not much mind you, but I would bet on R.

I still think it is Rad, he has likely been on campus at least twice. Ethridge was very downplayed as I researched this further. Ties to Dye and other problems.

Auburn is badly in need of a public relations type guy with extensive media experience who CAN and WILL promote Auburn. The lack of this is part of the reason why we are a relative unknown on the national scale and don't do well in the polls. Housel was an Auburn man and a bright person but his physical appearance did nothing for our public image.

Finally! Kolen is toast. NR given. Radakovich, McGarity, Jacobs, Ethridge,

Who said "Finally! Kolen is toast?'

Finally! Kolen is toast. NR given. Radakovich, McGarity, Jacobs, Ethridge

Who said "Finally! Kolen is toast?'

Should read: "Finally!...........Kolen is toast" It is two different ideas. I was glad to finally get the call from the admin guy. He said Kolen is toast, and many more said so in e-mails too.

Archived