Ellis Johnson

Ed_

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion our defense is not as much of a liability as the majority contends it is. As potent as our offense is the defense doesn't have to be bamresque.

Auburn has two losses this year. In those two losses Auburn's offense turned the ball over 7 times. Very few defenses in today's world would be able to overcome that.

And throw in a blocked FG return for a td.

7 turnovers is 7 possessions we don't have a scoring opportunity. Now some offenses may not have scored anyway on those 7 drives. But I would guess with Auburn's offense that is at least 3 touchdowns and a field goal that didn't happen. In addition the other guys are provided better opportunities to score.

Sure there are times they look hapless. But at other points in our games they've played good enough to win every one.

This is laughable, and unbelievable^^

What about it is unbelievable? Point out something? Come on. Refute one of those statements.

It's almost a "given" that the team that loses the turnover stats...loses the game. Why is anyone surprised about that...or even trying to suggest otherwise?

So the fact of being in 14-0 hole doesn't count? Did u see how EASY the first score was? Or do u turn the tv when we are playing defense so u don't have to witness the truth about what's really going on?

Oh i watched the whole game, defensive struggles and all. And i did point out the defense is hapless at times. Did you choose to overlook that statement? OR do u just believe the defense is hapless throughout all games?

In 7 games this year Auburn has turned the ball over 2 times or less. In the other 2 the offense has turned it over 3+ times.

Lol, since u obviously have a problem with the offense, which is incredible to me because the offense has saved us far more than defense. But I see u refused to defend why the defense under Johnson as dcoordinator, in the last 3 games given up over 1500yds. U choose what u want, see what u see, but EVERYBODY not on this board see how terrible this defense under Johnson has been. So miss players are having nightmares when they watch our defense, because they once played for him. I bet they don't miss him!

I don't have a problem with the offense. It's just amusing to see the defense lambasted while the offense gets a free pass. What is even funnier is earlier in the year the defense was the toast of the town while the offense was criticized.

Yep. This defense offense thing can be spun many different ways.

How about this one for some sh!ts and giggles

The A&M offense, led by an 18 year old kid starting his first away game, torches our defense for 28 points in the first half. Yet the Auburn offense, led by a senior qb, playing at home against a sorrier defense than Auburn's, only manages 17 points in the first half. bamr dropped 45 first half points on this same defense. Auburn didn't reach that for the whole game. So where is the hue and cry over this poor offensive showing. One could say the Auburn offense performed as poorly in first half as the Auburn defense.

Thus another way to look at the A&M game.

Yep u right but boy that a&m offend scored how many points on bama by halftime? Or how about the whole game? Apples and oranges, lol. Spin it however u want but at the end of the day, there's not an offensive coordinator worried or even scared of our defensive coordinator. At all

In my opinion our defense is not as much of a liability as the majority contends it is. As potent as our offense is the defense doesn't have to be bamresque.

Auburn has two losses this year. In those two losses Auburn's offense turned the ball over 7 times. Very few defenses in today's world would be able to overcome that.

7 turnovers is 7 possessions we don't have a scoring opportunity. Now some offenses may not have scored anyway on those 7 drives. But I would guess with Auburn's offense that is at least 3 touchdowns and a field goal that didn't happen. In addition the other guys are provided better opportunities to score.

Sure there are times they look hapless. But at other points in our games they've played good enough to win every one.

What about it is unbelievable? Point out something? Come on. Refute one of those statements.

It's almost a "given" that the team that loses the turnover stats...loses the game. Why is anyone surprised about that...or even trying to suggest otherwise?

So the fact of being in 14-0 hole doesn't count? Did u see how EASY the first score was? Or do u turn the tv when we are playing defense so u don't have to witness the truth about what's really going on?

Oh i watched the whole game, defensive struggles and all. And i did point out the defense is hapless at times. Did you choose to overlook that statement? OR do u just believe the defense is hapless throughout all games?

In 7 games this year Auburn has turned the ball over 2 times or less. In the other 2 the offense has turned it over 3+ times.

Lol, since u obviously have a problem with the offense, which is incredible to me because the offense has saved us far more than defense. But I see u refused to defend why the defense under Johnson as dcoordinator, in the last 3 games given up over 1500yds. U choose what u want, see what u see, but EVERYBODY not on this board see how terrible this defense under Johnson has been. So miss players are having nightmares when they watch our defense, because they once played for him. I bet they don't miss him!

I don't have a problem with the offense. It's just amusing to see the defense lambasted while the offense gets a free pass. What is even funnier is earlier in the year the defense was the toast of the town while the offense was criticized.

The A&M offense, led by an 18 year old kid starting his first away game, torches our defense for 28 points in the first half. Yet the Auburn offense, led by a senior qb, playing at home against a sorrier defense than Auburn's, only manages 17 points in the first half. bamr dropped 45 first half points on this same defense. Auburn didn't reach that for the whole game. So where is the hue and cry over this poor offensive showing. One could say the Auburn offense performed as poorly in first half as the Auburn defense.

one could say that, if you did not watch the game...and put in further analysis of first half incompetence...Whitehead suddenly got put in, a coach got put in his place by a higher up coach and winning became more important than feeding the coaches ego, unfortunately it did not help because he got no reps all week do to the said coach.

one could say that, if you did not watch the game...and put in further analysis of first half incompetence...Whitehead suddenly got put in, a coach got put in his place by a higher up coach and winning became more important than feeding the coaches ego, unfortunately it did not help because he got no reps all week do to the said coach.

So you think Whitehead made a difference when he got into the game.

Yep u right but boy that a&m offend scored how many points on bama by halftime? Or how about the whole game? Apples and oranges, lol. Spin it however u want but at the end of the day, there's not an offensive coordinator worried or even scared of our defensive coordinator. At all

I've acknowledged our defense is challenged, surely you've seen that in the above posts. I'm not defending the defense by all this blather. But the offense is culpable also.

This is ironic. I've been the only one question Ellis this season and took some rageback for selective concerns (not the broadbrush blather on many of these posts). The worst excuse I'm still reading from folks that know football is Ellis resume is long and terrific. It's actually a lot like van Gorders who did a horrendous job at Auburn by his own admission. Hey, Auburn gives up 49 points but scores 50 against Georgia and Bama, 99% of this board is worshipping Ellis again.

Elils Johnson is the DC, which means he is responsible for calling the defense, but we cannot give the position coaches a pass. The position coaches are responsible for developing talent.

Here are the average Rivals and Scout scores for the two-deep for each major position:

DL - Rodney Garner - 3.875 Stars (That is without Carl Lawson)

LB -Ellis Johnson - 3.75 Stars

Safeties (Including Star) - Charlie Harbison - 3.75 Stars

Cornerbacks - Melvin Smith - 3.375 Stars

Total Defense Two-Deep - Ellis Johnson- 3.727 Stars

Except for Cornerbacks, we are stacked with talent on defense, but they have not been producing. With the exception of Gimel President and Anthony Swain, every Defensive Lineman or Linebacker has at least a 4-star rating from one of the two rating groups.

Everyone calling for CEJ's head need to be calling for Rodney Garner's head as well. His line has seriously underperformed, despite being stacked with talent.

What good is it to recruit consensus 4-stars, and the occasional 5-star, only to not have them develop and pan out?

Elils Johnson is the DC, which means he is responsible for calling the defense, but we cannot give the position coaches a pass. The position coaches are responsible for developing talent.

Here are the average Rivals and Scout scores for the two-deep for each major position:

Except for Cornerbacks, we are stacked with talent on defense, but they have not been producing. With the exception of Gimel President and Anthony Swain, every Defensive Lineman or Linebacker has at least a 4-star rating from one of the two rating groups.

Everyone calling for CEJ's head need to be calling for Rodney Garner's head as well. His line has seriously underperformed, despite being stacked with talent.

What good is it to recruit consensus 4-stars, and the occasional 5-star, only to not have them develop and pan out?

honestly think our cornerbacks are playing pretty decent. It just seems like there's a lack of communication between the safeties and everybody else. This is leaving huge holes in the middle of the field.

I've acknowledged our defense is challenged, surely you've seen that in the above posts. I'm not defending the defense by all this blather. But the offense is culpable also.

The offense is what's selling tickets and winning come from behind games for us. With the exception of k-state, defense has not been steady at all

Everyone calling for CEJ's head need to be calling for Rodney Garner's head as well. His line has seriously underperformed, despite being stacked with talent.bb

Nice post. I also think we need to be looking hard at our special teams coach and the debacle they have been. Besides Bray being the man he is, we have been bad at punting very average to bad at placekicking, good at touchbacks, average at return yards. Hutchinson never developed and we are a rotating lineup at punter because of it. Our kick return yards are awful. I think CSF is on the outs before anyone else.

LIke it really mattered what I think........, Please let him find another job, hopefully at a SEC west school. Wish him the best and go all out to find a defensive genius, to compliment our offensive genius. Strike while the iron is hot. And it is red hot now. The defensive spirit at Auburn is in the doldrums, I have seen the defensive spirit much higher than any offensive spirit at Auburn. Auburn was once the place to see an excellent defense. We were known for defense and the other teams knew what was waiting for them playing at Jordan-Hare. So, it can be done. I am sure he is a good fella, and he is very sincere about his work, Preferably, I would like to see his recruiting catch fire and turn this defense around... :-\ :nopityA: Ain't gonna happen. :flag:

So how is it that Ted Roof, Brian Van Gorder, and Ellis Johnson can all have decent to excellent resumés before and after their stint with Auburn but while at Auburn look like blithering idiots? 6 years and 3 coordinators and we still can't field a decent defense? We all bashed BVG but maybe he was on to something when he said we didn't have that great of defensive talent.

I think we're too quick to damn our defensive coordinators when we as fans only have a two-dimensional perspective.

What I find interesting is that when he was hired, he wanted to be a fast and attacking defense. At the times where we have been fast and attacking and putting pressure on, we seem to play better and get a more favorable result. Our lack of pass rush really has hurt us. Losing Ford and Lawson sucked big time. I feel like our linebacker play has improved, but with our lack of pass rush it negates all of the progression made.

The A&M game defensively sucked to watch because we were getting gashed on timing passes. It felt like we were playing off and they had free route running. Finally we started showing press man and dropping off presnap and it seemed to help mix up and confuse the QB. Idk about anyone else, but I would rather get burned on a big play bringing 5-6 guys and playing press than rushing 4 and watching our line get wrecked and still get scored on. Firing CEJ would be too easy, if we had more DL production I'm not sure we are having this conversation. Oh well, let's just get behind these guys and hope for the best for the rest of the season!

So how is it that Ted Roof, Brian Van Gorder, and Ellis Johnson can all have decent to excellent resumés before and after their stint with Auburn but while at Auburn look like blithering idiots? 6 years and 3 coordinators and we still can't field a decent defense? We all bashed BVG but maybe he was on to something when he said we didn't have that great of defensive talent.

I think we're too quick to damn our defensive coordinators when we as fans only have a two-dimensional perspective.

BVG was frustrated while at AU. Everyone remembers the famous comment that lit up PM's face. Unlike many, I think the comment meant "we need to do better S&C- including supplements- and get more physical," not "CGC needs to be fired." BVG is a great coach. Didn't work out at AU. Chiz's team culture collapsed.

I vote to bring Boom back. The thing I fear is that, because Boom's style is to be a mean SOB, CGM will not want him on board. Same with JJ. JJ will determine Boom isn't good for the family brand, and we will be stuck again with a DC that lacks intensity.

Clearly the 5-2 isn't working. We need to cut the anchor line before the boat gets thrashed. (Gotta start recruiting more LBs pronto.) In my dream world, it's Boom back on the sidelines in time for the Capitol One Bowl.

As much as I liked Muschamp when he was the DC at AU, I don't know if he would want to come back. First of all, I am starting to believe he'll be at UF another year. I don't know why--- maybe beating UGA secured his spot there for another year. We'll see. Also, I believe that when he left AU to go to Texas, there was some talk or rumor or whatever, that he had issues with Jay Jacobs and supposedly really dislikes Jacobs. However, I guess the right amount of $$$ can heal any old wounds. I also remember the lack of success AU had against UGa during Boom's time at AU. I realize that's one game, but that's a big game for AU every year. I'm not trying to suggest any kind of conspiracy since Boom went to UGa, just that his defense just couldn't stop them. I would hope that Gus wouldn't pass on Boom just because he gets a little excited on the field. Hell, that may be what AU needs, someone to get in the players faces and chew them a new one when they mess up. Anyway, these last 3 games on defense has just about given me---and many others, apparently---ulcers. The AU defense can't seem to stop anyone on 3rd and long; the slanting pattern has killed AU defense not only this year but the past 5-6 years; the secondary might as well not be playing; the line can't put any pressure on a QB, especially an 18 year old making his first road start in a hostile environment. I fear what is going to happen at UGa and in Turd Town. I hope I am wrong.

CEJ is a great DC as long as he has a 5-star athelete at every position. ( like Clowney at SC ) If his roster is not loaded with first round NFL talent, he is lost.

CEJ is a great DC as long as he has a 5-star athelete at every position. ( like Clowney at SC ) If his roster is not loaded with first round NFL talent, he is lost.

When did he ever have a roster "loaded with first round NFL talent"? And you know he didn't coach Clowney, right?

Edit: Sorry, he coached Clowney for one year when Clowney was a true FR. And if you go back 20+ years, then yes, he had a lot of first round NFL talent on his roster. But he never had anything like that at MSU or USC (i.e., coaching stints that were relevant to his getting hired at Auburn). One Clowney does not a loaded roster make.

If you're one of the people that says the offense is just as much to blame then please explain why the last three games total 115 points for us and 107 points for them. THREE games. I guess if we had lost to USC or OM it would've been because of the offenses turnovers and special teams miscues too?

When did he ever have a roster "loaded with first round NFL talent"? And you know he didn't coach Clowney, right?

Edit: Sorry, he coached Clowney for one year when Clowney was a true FR. And if you go back 20+ years, then yes, he had a lot of first round NFL talent on his roster. But he never had anything like that at MSU or USC (i.e., coaching stints that were relevant to his getting hired at Auburn). One Clowney does not a loaded roster make.

Obviously 'loaded with 1st round nfl talent' was an exaggeration but go back to one of his first press conferences after taking the DC job. He talked about coaching a defense that had 6-7 guys that ended up in the NFL and it made him look like a genius.

He was trying to be funny like he always does to avoid the question, like this week when he said the only person that has stopped Gurley this year was the autograph guy.

BVG was frustrated while at AU. Everyone remembers the famous comment that lit up PM's face. Unlike many, I think the comment meant "we need to do better S&C- including supplements- and get more physical," not "CGC needs to be fired." BVG is a great coach. Didn't work out at AU. Chiz's team culture collapsed.

I vote to bring Boom back. The thing I fear is that, because Boom's style is to be a mean SOB, CGM will not want him on board. Same with JJ. JJ will determine Boom isn't good for the family brand, and we will be stuck again with a DC that lacks intensity.

Clearly the 5-2 isn't working. We need to cut the anchor line before the boat gets thrashed. (Gotta start recruiting more LBs pronto.) In my dream world, it's Boom back on the sidelines in time for the Capitol One Bowl.

If Gus wants Boom he'll get boom. I imagine part of his contract includes he has say so over assistant coaches hiring and firing.

Every first half I'm cringing with hopes that our D will "adjust". Often we do, sometimes not.

Time to move on to better talent, otherwise I'm about to punch out a friend during one of our games....out of frustration of course !

The more I think about EJ and the defense the more conflicted I become. I don't know how many of you coach or have coached. I have coached my son's team in every sport he has played. Coaching is both rewarding and frustrating, often times the feeling come and go about 15 times throughout the game. This past weekend my little soccer boys played their worst game of the year (against the other team from our school that we practice against all the time). They did nothing right all day, didn't stay in position, didn't pass, didn't dribble, didn't shoot when the net was open, didn't communicate. Afterwards, my dad was telling me all the things we should be doing and how to fix it and I just shook my head because I was already doing all these things and my kids just didn't play good or do any of the stuff I'd coached them to do for 3 months. After I cooled down after AU's game saturday I feel that EJ must be feeling the same way I was after my boys soccer game. Frustration because of the lack of execution against a good opponent which makes the coach look like he hasn't done anything correctly. Just a thought, take it as you will.

The more I think about EJ and the defense the more conflicted I become. I don't know how many of you coach or have coached. I have coached my son's team in every sport he has played. Coaching is both rewarding and frustrating, often times the feeling come and go about 15 times throughout the game. This past weekend my little soccer boys played their worst game of the year (against the other team from our school that we practice against all the time). They did nothing right all day, didn't stay in position, didn't pass, didn't dribble, didn't shoot when the net was open, didn't communicate. Afterwards, my dad was telling me all the things we should be doing and how to fix it and I just shook my head because I was already doing all these things and my kids just didn't play good or do any of the stuff I'd coached them to do for 3 months. After I cooled down after AU's game saturday I feel that EJ must be feeling the same way I was after my boys soccer game. Frustration because of the lack of execution against a good opponent which makes the coach look like he hasn't done anything correctly. Just a thought, take it as you will.

Weeeellllll, maybe you should ask for a $800,000/yr raise since you and EJ are coaching the same. Or is that $1,000,000 with bonus ?

Know the feeling about coaching your kids. Been there, done that. They're children.. EJ, on the other hand, is being paid for results and they better come, post haste.

WDE !!!

Archived