Ellis Johnson

Ed_

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up to this point, I'd been thinking that CEJ should be given more time to get his defense together, but I've been studying history and the issues plaguing AU's defense are not new to CEJ squads.

"I'm surprised, disappointed and we're back to point zero. We're going to have to start all over and find out who wants to play ball. Obviously they weren't well prepared from a football standpoint and that's my fault. We've got a situation where some guys will have to decide whether or not they want to play football. There's no way we could perform in some of the areas that we did the way we did. I just felt like when some guys, when they really got challenged, some guys backed off. It's my job to figure out why, but right now, I have no answer for it. Is it confidence? Is it mental toughness? Is it character? Is it commitment? We'll have to find out. There's a lot of things from an X's and O's standpoint, plans, play calls and all those types of things that certainly a football coach has to look at, but we've also got to look at whether or not we really played as hard as we could play."

- CEJ November 5, 2012 about loss to UAB

Any of this sounding familiar, at all?

I'm sorry but if players aren't mentally tough, and they are backing down to a challenge and don't have the fire to leave everything on the field/ give it 100% then that is a TOTAL coaching failure, not just Ellis or Rhett or any one single coach.

Ellis was the HC in 2012, he had to answer for the the product on that field as it was ultimately on his shoulders when the entire team looked abysmal.

It ain't Ellis' job to answer for this AU team or the product we saw on the field on Saturday night. His responsibility is to devise a defensive game plan and scheme for the opponent, if players all over the field are out of position and taking bad angles, committing penalties, turning the ball over, etc.....That does not fall souly on Ellis Johnson. It ain't his job to find out what's wrong with this team and find a way to get the players head straight.

Spot on. I had great expectations for the defense this year due to the fundamental improvements last year. We are now as bad or worse than 2012.

Are you being serious?

CEJ - library of quotes..... read at your own risk

"If we feel we are doing the right thing...doesn't matter to me what the results are we are going to keep on doing it"

"We’re going to have to start all over and see who wants to play ball."

"It's way too early to even talk about (making staff changes). That hasn't even crossed my mind. I have confidence in these guys. If I thought they weren't pushing the right buttons, we'd have pushed a different button."

"You can't dismiss the fact that I don't think that this is a very well coached team"

“You have to say it’s coaching, because if you don’t think it’s coaching, what do you do to correct it?”

''When you talk to people who have never been in this business, you get emotion, you get panic, you get everything, I'm not defending what we've done, what I'm saying is we've done the best we can."

"You can see it. There are times where we have to go back and question our plan and our calls and say, `Hey, could we have done this or could have done that?" But, the bottom line is, when a player's in front of a player with the ball, you've got to make a tackle or make a play on the ball. I'm not defending us or blaming anyone, but you get them in to a position to make a play, they have to make a play. If you aren't getting them into the position to make a play, you have to coach better. And, there's room for improvement in all areas."

I'm sorry but if players aren't mentally tough, and they are backing down to a challenge and don't have the fire to leave everything on the field/ give it 100% then that is a TOTAL coaching failure, not just Ellis or Rhett or any one single coach.

Ellis was the HC in 2012, he had to answer for the the product on that field as it was ultimately on his shoulders when the entire team looked abysmal.

It ain't Ellis' job to answer for this AU team or the product we saw on the field on Saturday night. His responsibility is to devise a defensive game plan and scheme for the opponent, if players all over the field are out of position and taking bad angles, committing penalties, turning the ball over, etc.....That does not fall souly on Ellis Johnson. It ain't his job to find out what's wrong with this team and find a way to get the players head straight.

Sorry, but I don't agree. There is a big difference between a soft spoken EJ and an agressive minded Will Muschamp who is on the sideline chest bumping the defense when they make a play. That is coaching and it fires everyone up. Ultimately everything is on the coach. When Muschamp was here the defense was fired up to play for him. And that is not occuring with EJ.

Southern Miss Coach Ellis Johnson Press Conference Transcript

October 22, 2012

Opening Statement:

"The film didn't show anything different. Post-game, you sometimes don't know all the little details, execution, those types of things, but the bottom line is we had a great week of practice, came off a week where I thought we showed a lot of character and fight and progress. In the effort department, we were fine. The film showed that we tried hard. The mistakes, poor angles to the ball, all of these are types of things that we have to do a better job of coaching and preparing. I was very surprised at our performance. I think Marshall is a very good football team, and they are going to have a bunch of wins going down the road. They came out and executed better from the very beginning. Although the score stayed close early, I thought they were playing better than we were from the very first snap. It's hard to put a finger on it. If you had a problem in practice or a poor week of preparation or poor concentration, you'd have a reason for it, but it really puzzles me that we didn't play better. We've got to find the answer to it and do a better job coaching and get them ready to go. We've still got five games. Obviously, the winning season is off the books. The chance to go to a bowl game is off the books. A lot of things that the players had that they could play for are gone. We've tried to challenge them just to play for each other, get as many rewards and fun and memories out of it for the seniors as they can grab on the way out. For the rest of them, it's the very first game of 2013. We have to try to improve as a football team down the back stretch, grab some wins and get better."

Any of this sound familiar?

So when Bama names their score in two weeks...what will it be? This team (defensively for sure) has seemed to quit. I can't stand the thought of the Iron Bowl after these last two weeks.

Sorry, but I don't agree. There is a big difference between a soft spoken EJ and an agressive minded Will Muschamp who is on the sideline chest bumping the defense when they make a play. That is coaching and it fires everyone up. Ultimately everything is on the coach. When Muschamp was here the defense was fired up to play for him. And that is not occuring with EJ.

I'm talking about the entire team - not just the defensive players. The entire team looked disinterested, the entire team is making mental errors and looks ill prepared for the task at hand. If these player appear soft, meek, and uninterested then that is not on Ellis Johnson. If special teams players are screwing up with mental errors, or the OLine are causing stupid penalties and WR's are dropping balls, that is not on Ellis Johnson. Ultimately everything is on the HEAD COACH. That's why Ellis addressed his issues at SoMiss because the overall product on the field falls on the shoulders of the HC.

I'm talking about the entire team - not just the defensive players. The entire team looked disinterested, the entire team is making mental errors and looks ill prepared for the task at hand. If these player appear soft, meek, and uninterested then that is not on Ellis Johnson. If special teams players are screwing up with mental errors, or the OLine are causing stupid penalties and WR's are dropping balls, that is not on Ellis Johnson. Ultimately everything is on the HEAD COACH. That's why Ellis addressed his issues at SoMiss because the overall product on the field falls on the shoulders of the HC.

The strategy or game plan seemed to be eat clock on offense and tackle Gurley and force other players to beat you. It backfired. I am not sure you can blame that on the players. That was the game plan. Bottom line, yes, everything is attributed to Gus. He's in charge. But, Ellis is more responsible than just schemes.

The passive-aggression/apathy (I'll just call it that for now. I don't know what it is.) started on the defense. It got progressively worse. It got so bad we lost against aTm. Now the offense is sputtering. Yes, it's ultimately CGM's problem, but I don't think it's beyond reason to think all the problems are related and began with the defensive unit and should have been addressed by CEJ. Especially since he has had lost and confused defensive units before and admitting having had no idea how to deal with the situation.

The strategy or game plan seemed to be eat clock on offense and tackle Gurley and force other players to beat you. It backfired. I am not sure you can blame that on the players. That was the game plan. Bottom line, yes, everything is attributed to Gus. He's in charge. But, Ellis is more responsible than just schemes.

are you a southern male if so you don't know jack

if you are from the north, west, east then you are correct

CEJ says the issue is coaching......

http://www.al.com/au...related_stories

"The Tigers have allowed 31 points or more and 400 yards or more in the last five games, providing the program one of the worst stretches in school history."

The legacy of CEJ continues, the only coach in the history of Division I football to take a team from 12 wins to 12 losses in 1 year and now

31 points or more and 400 yards or more in the last 5 games. Samford is the only reason that streak will be broken.

Well the Scarbo article outlines our D failure pretty well. FIRST time in Auburn history we have allowed +30 pts in 5 consecutive games. Previous worst was 3. Pretty much sums it up. this past weekends showing was pathetic. Once Bray dropped the punt our entire team quit and if you didn't see that you weren't looking. I like Ellis, thought it was a great hire, had high hopes after improvements were made last year over the previous year but the regression this entire Defensive squad has taken in the back half of our season is down right appalling. I have nothing else to say except WAR EAGLE today tomorrow and everyday, its just hard to watch this year

Guest jojo1515

First time in AU history to give up over 30 points 5 games in a row. Previous worst was 3. That means our D is at 2 games worse than 2012. Let that sink in. Defenders of EJ need to give it up. If we weren't playing Samford that streak would easily be 6 and twice as bad as any AU D in history (roughly 140 years?). Excuses no longer apply as these same excuses could have been used dozens of times in 140 years but the results have never been even close to this bad. Bye bye EJ. Officially the worst DC we have ever had (and almost twice as bad as the runner up).

EDIT: just checked and the longest streak of 30 point games by the D in 2012 was .......... ONE HAHAHAHa. We are 5 times worse than 2012 lol

Is that what he's saying? I got that he's teaching the right things, but for some reason the kids just don't get it and aren't putting his coaching into practice. He's willing to say it's a messaging issue at this time.

That article is like a highlight reel of quotes from CEJ's head coaching days from SoMiss. Except there, both the offense and defense devolved. Fan reaction is negative on the EaglePost site. Not for kids.

Guest jojo1515

Is that what he's saying? I got that he's teaching the right things, but for some reason the kids just don't get it and aren't putting his coaching into practice. He's willing to say it's a messaging issue at this time.

That article is like a highlight reel of quotes from CEJ's head coaching days from SoMiss. Except there, both the offense and defense devolved. Fan reaction is negative on the EaglePost site. Not for kids.

What's sad is the excuses he made at So Miss look eerily similar to all the fan excuses we are hearing now. Need better players, players not doing what they are coached to do, lack of motivation and on and on and on. It is now (after reading the So Miss board) 100 percent clear what the problem is. Whatever happened to EJ at So Miss has not been corrected and seems to have destroyed his ability to cover up his deficiencies. From 12 wins to 0-12 at So Miss....and now at AU with the worst 5 game stretch of defense in 140 years.....any real doubters left????????

First time in AU history to give up over 30 points 5 games in a row. Previous worst was 3. That means our D is at 2 games worse than 2012. Let that sink in. Defenders of EJ need to give it up. If we weren't playing Samford that streak would easily be 6 and twice as bad as any AU D in history (roughly 140 years?). Excuses no longer apply as these same excuses could have been used dozens of times in 140 years but the results have never been even close to this bad. Bye bye EJ. Officially the worst DC we have ever had (and almost twice as bad as the runner up).

EDIT: just checked and the longest streak of 30 point games by the D in 2012 was .......... ONE HAHAHAHa. We are 5 times worse than 2012 lol

Honestly, its gotten to a point where people are scared to point out 2012 on this board, but I think just about everyone that's not still in delusion would take that defense that held Clemson to 26 points and at least looked like they tried until the offense collapsed over...this.

"We're going to always think it's coaching, because if you don't then you don't have any solutions," Johnson said. "I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

"We're going to always think it's coaching, because if you don't then you don't have any solutions," Johnson said. "I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

"I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

I've read that quote like 10 times. Who is we? What are the things? What does it even mean? Coaches and coaching? Players and playing?

From the article:

"The first thing you're going to do is make sure you're coaching it and teaching it right." and "we're coaching the right things." So he thinks they're coaching the right things, but not coaching it right. Okay. So maybe it's a communication problem. But once that's ruled out, "The first thing you're going to do is make sure you're coaching it and teaching it right" then it's time to look at the players and if needed, "make a change there".

The coachspeak here is tracking down the exact same rhetorical path it did when he was HC at SoMiss. Did you read the three pages of CEJ quotes at EaglePost ?

"I'm not going to sit there and say we're doing some of the same things everybody else in America does, but we have to do it on a more consistent basis."-CEJ

I've read that quote like 10 times. Who is we? What are the things? What does it even mean? Coaches and coaching? Players and playing?

From the article:

"The first thing you're going to do is make sure you're coaching it and teaching it right." and "we're coaching the right things." So he thinks they're coaching the right things, but not coaching it right. Okay. So maybe it's a communication problem. But once that's ruled out, "The first thing you're going to do is make sure you're coaching it and teaching it right" then it's time to look at the players and if needed, "make a change there".

It cannot be a communication problem. Remember he is so in touch with his players that he has the following rules.......

No Walkmen ( i am serious )

No loud music in the locker room

No cursing

No swimming on game days

Archived