2016 JUCO QB recruiting

WarEagleAU

fwiw (in other words, a copy & paste of AL.com)

Sean White aims to give Auburn a boost as the new starting quarterback this weekend, but the Tigers have a viable third option at their disposal.

Receiver Jason Smith is practicing at the position this week in preparation for the SEC home opener against Mississippi State. At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Smith is a closer fit to former Auburn star Nick Marshall in the zone-read offense than Jeremy Johnson or White, both pocket passers.

"(Smith) was a very good passer for us and has a good, live arm," said Smith's former head coach at McGill-Toolen, Chad Sessions. "I really thought going in that he'd give anyone up there a run for their money with what they were doing with the read offense. If they decide that's going to be their package going forward, the stuff they were doing with Nick Marshall, I'd think Jason would be the front runner."

Marshall, a true dual-threat quarterback, thrived in Gus Malzahn's offensive system in 2013 and 2014, rushing for 1,866 yards and 23 scores. Auburn has all but abandoned the zone-read this season, as Johnson has rarely been a threat to run upfield.

As a senior in 2012, Smith passed for 1,566 yards and 19 touchdowns and rushed for 867 yards and 14 touchdowns. After failing to qualify academically at Auburn, Smith enrolled at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College and was redshirted in 2013. The following season Smith was back at it, passing for 1,566 yards and 18 touchdowns while rushing for 424 yards and 10 scores.

Smith was in attendance when Marshall scored four touchdowns in a 41-7 win over LSU last October and later said he would have "a little more to bring to the table" when he got to the Plains. By the time he arrived on Auburn's campus in January, Smith was ranked as the nation's No. 1 JUCO athlete and planned on challenging Johnson for the starting quarterback job.

"(Smith's) going to have a chance to play quarterback," Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said on National Signing Day in February. "That's what we recruited him (to play) out of high school. Same plan. He went to junior college, so he's going to start out a quarterback, but he is athletic enough that if it didn't work out he could play some other positions."

Less than 48 hours into Auburn's spring practices, Smith (6-1, 185) dropped out of the quarterback race and voluntarily moved to receiver.

"I think he saw the writing on the wall that Jeremy was the heir apparent," Sessions said. "The kid just wants to help the team and was like that with us... He's just a guy who wants to play and probably felt like he wasn't going to get his shot."

As a raw receiver, Smith has been largely underutilized this season with just two catches for 11 yards. His biggest play, a 56-yard touchdown catch against Louisville, was called back for holding.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said this before, JJ has been in the program for 3 years and Malzahn is just now finding out he can't read defenses. A question I have is who is it who actually works with the QB'S, Malzahn or Lashlee?

Well, ya kinda have to keep in mind who he's been practicing against.

I believe AU is going to see what Sean White does first before going after a JUCO QB. And I think AU is going to start to really turn the heat up on Bentley. IMO anyways.

If Sean White did well this year then I don't think they will going after a JUCO QB. Agreed with you on Bentley. We'll see.

I don't won't to see us short handed on QB's like we are now cause our starter is having all kinds problems. I hope we sign 2 QB's in our 2016 class.

I don't know if we need another Juco QB. I think Sean White and Tyler Queen are good options plus we have Woody coming in. All three of these guys can run enough.

TQ is out for close to a year because of Tommy John surgery. This is why we are looking.

We may be looking because he may not recover fully. TQ isn't going to play for a while anyway.

If ever.

I don't know if we need another Juco QB. I think Sean White and Tyler Queen are good options plus we have Woody coming in. All three of these guys can run enough.

I agree, we need more than just one and done, plus these two kids could have went somewhere else but chose AU and it would be a smack in the face to ride the bench behind a junk one one player..just my opinion.

Your right, we do need insurance for next year. If White goes down and JJ keeps having problems, then what do we do? IMO, that's all the more reason why we should sign 2 QB's. Brentley and a top QB from the JUCO ranks.

I don't know why people on this board are calling any of our quarterbacks who have yet to take a snap stars. Haven't we learned our lesson?

Maybe you can't comprehend a prediction??? I happen to have seen several of Tyler's games and watched his A Day performance and think he is going to be good. I guess I could say they/he will suck and be like several other(apparently YOU) people on this board and be negative. I would rather look at things in a positive light. Too bad that you aren't a positive fan. We could probably do with out you! War Eagle!

I believe AU is going to see what Sean White does first before going after a JUCO QB. And I think AU is going to start to really turn the heat up on Bentley. IMO anyways.

I know we didn't score and had our red zone woes, but for his first start I think White looked alright tonight

I don't know why people on this board are calling any of our quarterbacks who have yet to take a snap stars. Haven't we learned our lesson?

Maybe you can't comprehend a prediction??? I happen to have seen several of Tyler's games and watched his A Day performance and think he is going to be good. I guess I could say they/he will suck and be like several other(apparently YOU) people on this board and be negative. I would rather look at things in a positive light. Too bad that you aren't a positive fan. We could probably do with out you! War Eagle!

Dude. Calm yourself down. Predictions are great and all, but you don't know squat if you're basing your prediction on a few high school games and A-Day LOL. How'd that work out for Frazier and JJ, huh? Predict all you want, but one would think that people would temper the whole "this guy's going to be great" talk, especially right now. Guess that flew over your head though. Personally, I think we need less fans on this board saying that we need less fans like *insert poster here*. So basically, what I'm saying is, we need less fans like YOU. War eagle kid

Dude. Calm yourself down. Predictions are great and all, but you don't know squat if you're basing your prediction on a few high school games and A-Day LOL. How'd that work out for Frazier and JJ, huh? Predict all you want, but one would think that people would temper the whole "this guy's going to be great" talk, especially right now. Guess that flew over your head though. Personally, I think we need less fans on this board saying that we need less fans like *insert poster here*. So basically, what I'm saying is, we need less fans like YOU. War eagle kid

Actually Mr. Potatoooo head, I didn't see Frazier or JJ play in high school. Isn't that where recruiting takes place and if they don't play well there, they don't get a scholarship? Apparently several coaches thought the same or they wouldn't be on scholarship. The first part of my post turned out pretty good, as White played well. The jury is still out on the second part, so crawl back into your negative potato mound and stay until Queen plays and we find out, kid! War Eagle!

fwiw (in other words, a copy & paste of AL.com)

Sean White aims to give Auburn a boost as the new starting quarterback this weekend, but the Tigers have a viable third option at their disposal.

Receiver Jason Smith is practicing at the position this week in preparation for the SEC home opener against Mississippi State. At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Smith is a closer fit to former Auburn star Nick Marshall in the zone-read offense than Jeremy Johnson or White, both pocket passers.

"(Smith) was a very good passer for us and has a good, live arm," said Smith's former head coach at McGill-Toolen, Chad Sessions. "I really thought going in that he'd give anyone up there a run for their money with what they were doing with the read offense. If they decide that's going to be their package going forward, the stuff they were doing with Nick Marshall, I'd think Jason would be the front runner."

Marshall, a true dual-threat quarterback, thrived in Gus Malzahn's offensive system in 2013 and 2014, rushing for 1,866 yards and 23 scores. Auburn has all but abandoned the zone-read this season, as Johnson has rarely been a threat to run upfield.

As a senior in 2012, Smith passed for 1,566 yards and 19 touchdowns and rushed for 867 yards and 14 touchdowns. After failing to qualify academically at Auburn, Smith enrolled at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College and was redshirted in 2013. The following season Smith was back at it, passing for 1,566 yards and 18 touchdowns while rushing for 424 yards and 10 scores.

Smith was in attendance when Marshall scored four touchdowns in a 41-7 win over LSU last October and later said he would have "a little more to bring to the table" when he got to the Plains. By the time he arrived on Auburn's campus in January, Smith was ranked as the nation's No. 1 JUCO athlete and planned on challenging Johnson for the starting quarterback job.

"(Smith's) going to have a chance to play quarterback," Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said on National Signing Day in February. "That's what we recruited him (to play) out of high school. Same plan. He went to junior college, so he's going to start out a quarterback, but he is athletic enough that if it didn't work out he could play some other positions."

Less than 48 hours into Auburn's spring practices, Smith (6-1, 185) dropped out of the quarterback race and voluntarily moved to receiver.

"I think he saw the writing on the wall that Jeremy was the heir apparent," Sessions said. "The kid just wants to help the team and was like that with us... He's just a guy who wants to play and probably felt like he wasn't going to get his shot."

As a raw receiver, Smith has been largely underutilized this season with just two catches for 11 yards. His biggest play, a 56-yard touchdown catch against Louisville, was called back for holding.

This post says it all about the ego and arrogance of Gus. He wants to so badly prove to people that he can produce a pure pocket passer, that he never gave one of the better athletes, maybe the best athlete, on our team a chance to be QB, and now we have none. Gus is going live and die this year with a QB who can't run unless he realizes that his offense can only be lethal with a dual threat/running QB.

It's Gus's offense not yours. I think he knows which QB recruits would work in his system better than any of us arm chair QBs.

Doss from Ole Miss via Florence could be a good fit. I watched him play for two seasons and he could ball. If nothing else he would be a hell of a scout team DT qb to practice against.

If nothing else he would be a hell of a scout team DT qb to practice against.

Hope that's not part of our pitch. ;)/>

Very true! Maybe just a collateral benefit. J Smith bailed after two weeks. Nothing like the bait and switch of recruiting vs reality on campus.

Archived