Major terrorist attack in Paris happening now.

AURaptor

I've been at the AU Basketball game but been keeping up when I can. The fight we have with terrorism will be a long one. Prayers for the people of Paris, France and everyone involved.

Are they saying death toll upwards of 140?

I was there great game!!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes you wonder when people will understand that bringing boatloads of Muslims from Syria into the US is a recepie to increase the likelihood of this crap happening here.

I hate to sound so "non PC", but I really don't care, but the Muslim lifestyle just isn't compatible with life here and we have to stop thinking that we can " win them over"....

Muslim Extremists want to kill you and all infidels

Moderate Muslims want Muslim Extremists to kill you and all infidels.....

The good and honest muslims are not responsible for these attacks. Why do people always lump the good and honest muslims in with the extremist muslims? I know many that are not even close to being extremist. And to say that the Muslim lifestyle isn't compatible here is absurd.

We'll agree to disagree. Of course you may have some decent individuals, by and large the Muslim religion is the problem. Answer this simple question - why do you never see anything more than a token statement from the "good and honest" Muslims? My biggest issue with "moderates" is the lack of hard line stance against the jihadis. This religion is lead by "Extremists". By and large they don't come to countries like ours to join our culture, they come here to try and change our culture.

As for your last sentence, how does Sharia Law jive with our law? Ask most devout Muslims which takes priority.

FWIW, you'll run into the same problem if you ask many far-right Christians to weigh their religious beliefs vs. US law.

Mike - Christianity has no version analogous to .sharia . There is no comparison.

Only because they lack widespread support and a catalyzing force- something on par with, perhaps, our idiotic interventionist foreign policy. If you think the potential on the kookiest corners of the religious right isn't there, you haven't been looking in the right places. I say that as a fellow with some nuts in my own family that I use as a firsthand reference.

As Voltaire wisely said, those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Mike - Christianity has no version analogous to .sharia . There is no comparison.

Note the portion I highlighted. The point is that there are absolutely many Christians in this country that view their religious beliefs as superseding US law.

Note the portion I highlighted. The point is that there are absolutely many Christians in this country that view their religious beliefs as superseding US law.

Not in the same way. There's a very, very small number of Christians that would believe in a wholesale replacement of their beliefs over US law the way the hardcore adherents of sharia do. Infinitesimally small.

Orthodox Christians believe they are to, whenever possible and it doesn't directly cause them to disobey the Scriptures, obey the civil authorities (Romans 13:1-7). But there may be instance where there is no way to obey the civil law and God's law - the two are mutually exclusive. In those cases, civil disobedience would be in order and yes, God's law would supersede US law. This has always been the case. Christians suffered the consequences for refusing to bow/pay tribute to Caesar as god, for refusing to sacrifice to Roman pagan deities. In more modern times, Christians disobeyed the fugitive slave laws during the mid 1800s helping with the Underground Railroad. During the Civil Rights Era, MLK Jr. and many Christians practiced civil disobedience of state and US laws that enforced segregation and unequal treatment. They did all of this because the commands of Scripture and their religious beliefs ultimately superseded US and state laws.

There are over 1.5 billion Muslims in the world. Let's not act like there are only a few decent and honest Muslims. If anything, it's the exact opposite, the terrorists that just so happen to be Muslim are only few. Like the Christians that used to be KKK. If the Muslims were as bad as yall say they are, we would be probably be dead right now. Just saying. And it's not fair to lump the moderate Muslims in such a negative stereotype as being a terrorist when I can gurantee they suffer more deaths from the terrorists than the rest of us do.

It's much too simplistic to lay the blame for this kind of idiocy on a religion. What we see here is the use of religion-as-ideology in order to justify violence. Titan's remarks on civil disobedience got me looking around, and I happened upon this discussion of the correspondence between Tolstoy and Ghandi. I'm not saying I agree with everything written there -- but it's amazingly though-provoking right now.

There are over 1.5 billion Muslims in the world. Let's not act like there are only a few decent and honest Muslims. If anything, it's the exact opposite, the terrorists that just so happen to be Muslim are only few. Like the Christians that used to be KKK. If the Muslims were as bad as yall say they are, we would be probably be dead right now. Just saying. And it's not fair to lump the moderate Muslims in such a negative stereotype as being a terrorist when I can gurantee they suffer more deaths from the terrorists than the rest of us do.

Yes, the extremist are a small minority of the 1.5 billion Muslims in the world. The problem is, that if the majority of Muslims are decent and honest people why haven't they helped irradicate the extremist who are giving all decent and honest Muslims a bad name. Never do you hear of mainstream Muslims denouncing acts of violence and murders by the extremist. It appears from the outside that if you aren't helping resolve a problem, you are part of the problem.

Yes, the extremist are a small minority of the 1.5 billion Muslims in the world. The problem is, that if the majority of Muslims are decent and honest people why haven't they helped irradicate the extremist who are giving all decent and honest Muslims a bad name. Never do you hear of mainstream Muslims denouncing acts of violence and murders by the extremist. It appears from the outside that if you aren't helping resolve a problem, you are part of the problem.

You must not be paying attention.

Read. Learn.

This trend towards an attempted application of absolute war along with the apocalyptic vision of the Islamic State (a vision shared by, among others, Abu Musab al-Suri) is a worrying development. ISIS has taken jihadi military strategy the along the spectrum towards absolute war. They have adopted ideas of their predecessors and rejected others while learning from their mistakes and failures. Whether the Islamic State ultimately succeeds or fails, they have pushed the envelope of jihadi military strategy to heretofore unprecedented heights and those that come after them will go even further. The overriding concern for policymakers then must be that the Islamic State and similar groups do not under any circumstances acquire weapons of mass destruction as their rationality after such an acquisition is unpredictable. Furthermore, a simplistic strategy of attrition- whether of Islamic State fighting cadres or their leadership- will be ineffective due to both the decentralized nature of their organization inherited from al Qaeda and the obvious fervor of their adherents, exemplified by their self-professed “love of death.” Lastly, it is no mystery that a central pillar of jihadi strategy is their goal of drawing the United States into intractable conflicts that expend its blood and treasure. Why the United States has walked into this trap is the only mystery.

http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/mujahideen-the-strategic-tradition-of-sunni-jihadism

You must not be paying attention.

Indeed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/11/12/the-beheading-of-a-9-year-old-girl-prompted-huge-protests-in-afghanistan/

Really?!? Can some of you just let the world mourn for a few hours before you start with the self righteous b.s.? Can we not show some compassion for those families who now find themselves planning funerals? Facts are still being uncovered, and I plan to let things come to light before jumping to radical conclusions. In the meantime, I will be praying for the victims and their families, our world leaders who likely have some big decisions to be made in the coming days, and that the world can ultimately work toward peace.

Jeff - the kkk never had the global reach / support as does modern day militant Islam. Evil, yes. But on a far smaller scale.

Such comparisons are empty & blind us to what is before our very eyes.

@ channonc - agree fully with your sentiments, and have resisted " going there ", as best I could , especially in the first few hours.

I was going to post something similar to this, but instead I'll simply repeat the highlighted, above. When I see public outrage and action by the alleged throngs of "good" Moslems against against the terrorists, then I'll believe it. Until then their inaction is tacit approval and they are part of the problem.

I was going to post something similar to this, but instead I'll simply repeat the highlighted, above. When I see public outrage and action by the alleged throngs of "good" Moslems against against the terrorists, then I'll believe it. Until then their inaction is tacit approval and they are part of the problem.

If thousands of Kurds fighting Daesh on three fronts isnt enough to convince you, nothing will.

Jeff - the kkk never had the global reach / support as does modern day militant Islam. Evil, yes. But on a far smaller scale.

Such comparisons are empty & blind us to what is before our very eyes.

I'm not really focused on the details. I am just saying that inferring something is true from the whole just because it is true of a part is wrong.

Really?!? Can some of you just let the world mourn for a few hours before you start with the self righteous b.s.? Can we not show some compassion for those families who now find themselves planning funerals? Facts are still being uncovered, and I plan to let things come to light before jumping to radical conclusions. In the meantime, I will be praying for the victims and their families, our world leaders who likely have some big decisions to be made in the coming days, and that the world can ultimately work toward peace.

I apologize but it's times like these that present a very small window to inform because very soon the American population will be back to all you can eat buffets xbox and the mall.

I apologize but it's times like these that present a very small window to inform because very soon the American population will be back to all you can eat buffets xbox and the mall.

Have no problem with informing. Have problems with arguing over the politics right now. As I said, the situation is fluid and facts continue to pour out. But going back and forth about one's negative opinions on Muslims seems highly inappropriate at this time.

If thousands of Kurds fighting Daesh on three fronts isnt enough to convince you, nothing will.

If the radicals are that much of a minority, the Kurds and others should be able to wipe them out with support from the rest of the world. Muslim leaders are not doing enough to denounce the acts of terrorism, especially in the USA.

If the radicals are that much of a minority, the Kurds and others should be able to wipe them out with support from the rest of the world. Muslim leaders are not doing enough to denounce the acts of terrorism, especially in the USA.

How about this?

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/11/14/world/europe/ap-eu-france-attacks-reaction.html?_r=0

Are you paying attention or just spouting nonsense?

http://www.wsj.com/a...iraq-1447408307

Europe has accommodated these people and placated them and tried to be nice even to the point of just plain letting them have their own little enclaves and everything else. This is the result of that. This is religion stuck in the middle ages. It hasn't progressed a bit.

Even if only 1 percent of the 1.5 billion Muslims were radical terrorists, that number is still into the millions... I don't think you can wipe that out easily.

Oh, come on - are you serious? The Kurds are fighting for their lives, not to stand up against ISIS based on morals or principals. They are fighting because ISIS believes, in their screwball mentality, that the Kurds deserve to be eradictaced because they are a different denomination of the same religion.

As for those of you that tried to make an absurd comparison between Islam and "right wing Christianity" you need to get your head out of obama's posterior. When networks of Christian Extremists kill thousands of innocent people, take over chunks or real estate greater in size than the UK, and on multiple continents, torture and execute people for sport like ISIS does, and trade women like baseball cards we can start to have a conversation about comparing Christianity to Islam, but for now it's just another proclamation of your ignorance.

I'll wait patiently for some knucklehead to try and tie in the Crusades....

Archived