Staff Changes

fredst

Lashlee has had more successes (Marshall, White) than he has had failures (Johnson).

Lest you forget that Marshall threw 20 or so INTS in one year of JUCO.

Ultimately, Malzahn has had successful offenses every year since 2006. Save 2011 and 2015. I'm sure he knows what changes he needs to make. Or else it won't matter after next year anyway.

You must be joking...Cam for one year and Nick arrived a few weeks before he played his first game at QB....and his stats in year #2 were about the same as year one except for differences in the offensive style..

Let's instead look at JJ who Rhett has had for 3 years...guy with NFL arm, looks like Cam, etc.....and what's the result? IMO, that is who is the evidence of the success of AU's QB development.

When will more people take into account that perhaps the coaches had no idea JJ would breakdown mentally when it came to playing as starter as opposed to 2nd string? Everyone saw him practice and him play coming off the bench. No one had a clue his mental block was coming.

That's what I've been saying all along. There is just no way to predict that ahead of time. It threw everything off kilter.

Crap like that happens. It is what it is. I think many more people are baffled that we had no backup plan, whatsoever. SW came in and put a band-aid on a gun wound, but even then, it seemed like we still had no clue what we were doing. Like we have no plans.

I look at Baylor who lost two of their QBs with injury, but they never lost their identity or plans. Next guy steps up and follow the blueprint. There is no identity with this team.

Sean was playing fine until he got hurt....

Sean played good for what we asked him to do, but I am talking about WINNING. Sean did a lot of good things, but the coaches didn't trust him. ONE BIT. They seemed to be experimenting with him. Like they didn't know his strength and weaknesses. When Baylor QB went out, they put in their true freshman QB and he didn't miss a beat. Then he got hurt and they converted their WR to play QB and they schemed to his strengths. It didn't look like they were experimenting with him.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RL's success with White and Marshall are totally about where White and Marshall were as athletes and had nothing to do with RL making them players.

But we give Craig all the credit for QB at FSU and say he needs to be the QB coach.

Lashlee has had more successes (Marshall, White) than he has had failures (Johnson).

Ultimately, Malzahn has had successful offenses every year since 2006. Save 2011 and 2015. I'm sure he knows what changes he needs to make. Or else it won't matter after next year anyway.

You must be joking...Cam for one year and Nick arrived a few weeks before he played his first game at QB....and his stats in year #2 were about the same as year one except for differences in the offensive style..

Let's instead look at JJ who Rhett has had for 3 years...guy with NFL arm, looks like Cam, etc.....and what's the result? IMO, that is who is the evidence of the success of AU's QB development.

When will more people take into account that perhaps the coaches had no idea JJ would breakdown mentally when it came to playing as starter as opposed to 2nd string? Everyone saw him practice and him play coming off the bench. No one had a clue his mental block was coming.

That's what I've been saying all along. There is just no way to predict that ahead of time. It threw everything off kilter.

Crap like that happens. It is what it is. I think many more people are baffled that we had no backup plan, whatsoever. SW came in and put a band-aid on a gun wound, but even then, it seemed like we still had no clue what we were doing. Like we have no plans.

I look at Baylor who lost two of their QBs with injury, but they never lost their identity or plans. Next guy steps up and follow the blueprint. There is no identity with this team.

Sean played good for what we asked him to do, but I am talking about WINNING. Sean did a lot of good things, but the coaches didn't trust him. ONE BIT. They seemed to be experimenting with him. Like they didn't know his strength and weaknesses. When Baylor QB went out, they put in their true freshman QB and he didn't miss a beat. Then he got hurt and they converted their WR to play QB and they schemed to his strengths. It didn't look like they were experimenting with him.

That's just what happens when they put all their eggs in JJ's basket, which in hindsight is a very bad idea. Hopefully they learned from it. As each game went on with White, it appeared that they opened up the playbook more and more and then he got hurt.

Queen was never an option. Neither was Wallace or Tuberville(obviously). We were very thin at QB depth.

That's just what happens when they put all their eggs in JJ's basket, which in hindsight is a very bad idea. Hopefully they learned from it. As each game went on with White, it appeared that they opened up the playbook more and more and then he got hurt.

Queen was never an option. Neither was Wallace or Tuberville(obviously). We were very thin at QB depth.

I agree. I wish they would've shown more confidence in sean. I believe he is a gamer. He got put in a lot of bad positions in the Arkansas game. Not only by wide receivers but the terrible play calling. He was constantly in third and long but converted. Sean White is not the type of QB you ask to manage the game. You need to let him take his bumps and bruises, but also gain confidence as well.

Just my .02 cents

I look at Baylor who lost two of their QBs with injury, but they never lost their identity or plans. Next guy steps up and follow the blueprint (who was a WR that converted to QB at the end of the season). There is no identity with this team.

I agree and what TCU did was even more impressive. TCU is 10-2 after they lost 7 defensive starters this season, and just one 2014 starter was still in the rotation. They had a couple of receivers injured AND their QB Boykin had been banged up.

It is going to be better if we keep the staff together. UGA going through a transition is going to help with recruiting. I think Will does need to have the flexibility to go after Rocker if he wants him. Otherwise, Gus needs to leave the staff alone and go after great dual threat QB's to run his offense. The transition to a passing game has been a bust and he needs to recognize that and go back to what has worked for him.

Gus needs to run the O. We hired him as HC because of what he did as an OC. Lashlee is simply in the way and wasting time and money. Find a legit WR coach. D Craig should be the QB coach. Find a better than average DL coach. Lawing and (this is pipe dream) Orgeron should be thrown a lot of money. Rocker would also be a huge improvement over what we have although Rocker has coached with Gus and under the Jay Jacobs' administration so I doubt he comes back unless one or both are gone.

wde

Gus needs to run the O. We hired him as HC because of what he did as an OC. Lashlee is simply in the way and wasting time and money. Find a legit WR coach. D Craig should be the QB coach. Find a better than average DL coach. Lawing and (this is pipe dream) Orgeron should be thrown a lot of money. Rocker would also be a huge improvement over what we have although Rocker has coached with Gus and under the Jay Jacobs' administration so I doubt he comes back unless one or both are gone.

wde

I don't think any of that would hinder him from coming back. I believe he's on good terms with everyone. He saw the writing on the wall before the 2012 season ever got here and jumped at the chance to go to the NFL. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out and by that time Gus had only been here for one year so that wasn't going to happen then. Now whether Auburn would reach out to him or whether he'd consider any potential offer, I don't know.

wde

I don't think any of that would hinder him from coming back. I believe he's on good terms with everyone. He saw the writing on the wall before the 2012 season ever got here and jumped at the chance to go to the NFL. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out and by that time Gus had only been here for one year so that wasn't going to happen then. Now whether Auburn would reach out to him or whether he'd consider any potential offer, I don't know.

Rocker left after the 2010 season.

wde

If Auburn is going to run an offense with a pocket passer (like this year), Gus needs to let the QBs go train with bona fide QB gurus in the summer to hone their skills. If Auburn is going to run a option/read system with a running QB (Franklin?), keep the QB in house.

That said, the problem this year was not just QB. The receivers were just not very good. It was a total breakdown in the passing game. Yes, Auburn did well running in the opening half, but teams make adjustments. You gotta be able to pass well enough to keep the other defense honest and burn them a few times every game.

Is the problem at QB entirely on CRL and CGM? JJ had several wide open receivers against Bama -- WIDE open -- and he just flat missed them. When JJ is not reading defenses and going through progressions properly, that's on the coaching maybe. But missing throws to wide open receivers, that's on JJ, not the coaches.

Is the problem with the WRs entirely on CDC, or is it also a talent issue. Ray dropped two balls on that final drive that most any starting WR in the country would have made. Was that on CDC? I don't think so.

Auburn is not the only team that struggled on offense this year due to QB and WR problems.

wde

wde

Ok I thought it was after 2011. Guess I should have looked it up. In any event, the point is largely the same.

wde

wde

Ok I thought it was after 2011. Guess I should have looked it up. In any event, the point is largely the same.

OK but had he been happy with the direction the program was going or how the AD was being run I doubt he would have left after we just won the championship. We approached him when Gus was hired and he said no.

wde

wde

wde

OK but had he been happy with the direction the program was going or how the AD was being run I doubt he would have left after we just won the championship. We approached him when Gus was hired and he said no.

wde

There could be any number of reasons for that, including what you've said. I wasn't privy to the conversations nor do I know what was or is in his head. I don't recall any bad blood but it could have been just he never said anything.

Do any of you think Muschamp might leave for a head coaching job? I mean there's like 14 or 15 job openings.

I don't. I think he wants to build up his brand again. Unless UGA came calling, I don't think he'll go anywhere. I don't see him as the type to pull up after only one season.

80Tiger, if Gus doesn't replace Lashlee, we'll see another 6-6 record in 2016.

IMO, we need to hire a knew Strength and Conditioning coach. The team has been very weak and they've been pushed around like they were nothing over the past 2 years because their not big and strong enough. Just take a look at the size of Alabama's players. Their OL, DL, DE's & LB's are freakin huge.

I think Yox did a better job then what Ryan has been doing.

clueless

How much meltdown would there be if CMR was the next Auburn OC... Hahahaha

Well none because Richt won't be taking a coordinator position anywhere.

The U would be a good spot for him, I think.

How much meltdown would there be if CMR was the next Auburn OC... Hahahaha

Well none because Richt won't be taking a coordinator position anywhere.

The U would be a good spot for him, I think.

If the U is serious about running a clean program I agree. I think Richt is a good guy and a good coach. And might help to even the recruiting stranglehold in Florida

Archived