Purifoy completely clear to play 2016-17 season

ellitor

Lol what I was thinking. Let's go back to can't shoot free throws! And back in the day it was this! And 5 star sucks walk ons and two stars are Auburn men and I hope Pearl does well but I really don't....that should sum up the season when it start.

And pearl likes tall players and two wings and two posts....wash, rinse, repeat

Maybe you should try posting again after you sober up.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the job of Auburn to prepare anybody for the nba. It's the job of Auburn coaches to get the most of out of him while he's at Auburn in the system that Auburn runs. If he's good enough and plays well enough he'll have an opportunity at the next level no matter what position he plays on the floor.

Just to play devils advocate here, but Saban gets bashed all the time in the football thread about how many of his players are stars in college but a bust in the league (Richardson for example). He seems to get the maximum out of his players while at Updyke but takes heat from some when they fail later. Seems this would be a somewhat related topic to that example. Not disagreeing with you btw, I'm on the side of doing what's best for the school while they are here and if a player fails in the league then that's on them.

You mean to tell me that there is indeed hypocrisy and homerism that happens on here in comparison to other *cough,cough* coaches. This post will go unnoticed for sure. BTW, I completely agree with you.

Danjel has reportedly put on 30ish lbs of muscle since coming to AU, from 197 to around 230. For the basketball experts out there, does it ease your concerns about him playing the 4 spot being around 6-7, 6'8 & 230 pound range. Serious question. I just don't know what 230 lbs looks like at that height.

Danjel has reportedly put on 30ish lbs of muscle since coming to AU, from 197 to around 230. For the basketball experts out there, does it ease your concerns about him playing the 4 spot being around 6-7, 6'8 & 230 pound range. Serious question. I just don't know what 230 lbs looks like at that height.

Pretty prototypical small forward size. Carmelo Anthony is 6'-8" 240 for reference.

Melo has been playing lots of 4 lately but he's a legitimate 6'8. I have seen DP listed anywhere from 6'6 to 6'8. If he's closer to 6'6 in real life that could be some sort of issue

Pretty prototypical small forward size. Carmelo Anthony is 6'-8" 240 for reference.

I always thought Carmelo was big for a small forward...No?

Melo has been playing lots of 4 lately but he's a legitimate 6'8. I have seen DP listed anywhere from 6'6 to 6'8. If he's closer to 6'6 in real life that could be some sort of issue

I have not seen anything lower than 6'7.

He is. But I figured that he was an recognizable enough name at the position that he would at least provide some reference. LeBron is 6'-8" 250 listed, so there is another reference point. Both of those guys are a little bigger than your average NBA 3, but Danjel also isn't quite as big as they are. At 6'-7" 230 he probably looks like what you'd usually see in an NBA 3. I'd assume that makes him a little bigger than the collegiate equivalent.

He is. But I figured that he was an recognizable enough name at the position that he would at least provide some reference. LeBron is 6'-8" 250 listed, so there is another reference point. Both of those guys are a little bigger than your average NBA 3, but Danjel also isn't quite as big as they are. At 6'-7" 230 he probably looks like what you'd usually see in an NBA 3. I'd assume that makes him a little bigger than the collegiate equivalent.

Thanks!

Cole is right that Purifoy wouldn't be developed to play the 3 in the NBA if he is playing the 4 in college. College coaches only have to develop players to fit their schemes but at the same time, elite recruits are paying attention to which schools better develop their players to play in the pros. Sucks for Purifoy though because we need some height at the 4.

Cole is right that Purifoy wouldn't be developed to play the 3 in the NBA if he is playing the 4 in college. College coaches only have to develop players to fit their schemes but at the same time, elite recruits are paying attention to which schools better develop their players to play in the pros. Sucks for Purifoy though because we need some height at the 4.

Not sure that's the case in Pearl's system though. AU reporters are saying when he has his system working that the 4 is very important & is expected to shoot, slash, & be athletic like a standard 3. as well as rebound. That sounds like a stretch 4 to me which plays a lot like a standard 3 IMO. Apparently Pearl prefers stretch 4s over traditional 4s.

Not sure that's the case in Pearl's system though. AU reporters are saying when he has his system working that the 4 is very important & is expected to shoot, slash, & be athletic like a standard 3. as well as rebound. That sounds like a stretch 4 to me which plays a lot like a standard 3 IMO. Apparently Pearl prefers stretch 4s over traditional 4s.

Only stretch 4 pearl has had recent is that guy at Tenn that wore the headband, I can't think of his name right now. As far as being at Auburn he hasn't really had a good traditional power forward so who knows what he prefers

Also as far as purifoy's weight, in that recent interview it didn't look like he weighed that much but even if he did length is much more important than weight. I'm actually interested in what his wingspan is. But make no mistake if he's supposed to be our best offensive player as well you are risking a bunch playing him at 4.

Thanks!

Lol

Melo is big as far as being stout, but what always separated him is he literally has a post game like a big man (footwork, back to the basket moves, can turn over either shoulder) but he has always been a liability on defense as well. As far as height and length his a standard 3. Paul George, and Batum are example of threes that are that height but are extremely long. And if you want a freak as far as length it's the guy in Milwaukee that I won't even try to spell his name.

Lastly if you want a body type of what prifoy would look like at that weight Jimmy butler is a good reference. Like bird said Leonard is good too but I think he has an unusual long wingspan as well so like I said I don't know about purifoy

I could be wrong...show me a link...but I expect college coaches are more concerned about winning basketball games than trying to groom a guy to play a specific position two or three years from now.....since who knows which team (s) might even be looking at the guy. The elite players mostly seem to go to Duke, UNC, UK and places like that and I just can't see those coaches being worried about trying to develop their players for a specific role on some future NBA team.

Hoping DP is the physical stud folks are describing and that Bruce's main scheme is for him to score some points and grab some rebounds....whether he is thought of as a 3 or a 4 a few years from now.

That's EXACTLY what duke and Kentucky do. They say they can groom them for the NBA. You never see a guy moving from three to four though at 6'7". You don't see them moving to positions they haven't ever played...But like 5 said if they are just going to make him a forward basically maybe it can be ok. It is going to be dangerous for him defensively no matter what though

That's EXACTLY what duke and Kentucky do. They say they can groom them for the NBA. You never see a guy moving from three to four though at 6'7". You don't see them moving to positions they haven't ever played...But like 5 said if they are just going to make him a forward basically maybe it can be ok. It is going to be dangerous for him defensively no matter what though

Not true....my wife's a Dukie and we don't miss many games......Coach K played 7 guys this year....and he played them all over the floor without a great deal of regard to position since three of those "starters" were listed a G and one other as G/F which was Ingram at 6'-9.

Besides, who is really worried about "developing" these one and done guys? They aren't going to be around long enough anyway so Joe and guys like him just milk them for what he can get out of them the year he has them. Look at the draft lately....freshmen and a bunch of guys from overseas.

Time for AU to develop a few of the young guys to win in the SEC ....not worry about where they might go in the draft....JMO.

I don't know what you mean. He played Ingram on the perimeter which he said he would do and teach him how to which sky rocketed his draft stock. Even showcased him defensively. Every pg since and including Derrick Rose say they chose Kentucky because they knew coach cal could prep them for the NBA. You seem to be saying if they only go to school for a year they aren't prepped?

If coach k would have said he was playing Ingram in the post traditionally then he wouldn't have had Ingram. You know what coach k looks like with mediocre talent? A good coach who needs talent.

I'm 6'3" you know what I would do with a 5 star 5'11" guy on me? I'd post him and score. I'd get him in foul trouble. No different with a 6'6" guy on a 6'10" guy. Even in the sec. There's no developing how to win in that situation. Yeah you can win some possessions here and there, but game in and game out. Nope.

I don't know what you mean. He played Ingram on the perimeter which he said he would do and teach him how to which sky rocketed his draft stock. Even showcased him defensively. Every pg since and including Derrick Rose say they chose Kentucky because they knew coach cal could prep them for the NBA. You seem to be saying if they only go to school for a year they aren't prepped?

If coach k would have said he was playing Ingram in the post traditionally then he wouldn't have had Ingram. You know what coach k looks like with mediocre talent? A good coach who needs talent.

I'm 6'3" you know what I would do with a 5 star 5'11" guy on me? I'd post him and score. I'd get him in foul trouble. No different with a 6'6" guy on a 6'10" guy. Even in the sec. There's no developing how to win in that situation. Yeah you can win some possessions here and there, but game in and game out. Nope.

Barkley?

Barkley?

Barkley one of those freaks of nature, but Barkley actually wasn't a great defender of the top bigs that were 6'10" and up head to head. Barkley actually excelled at weak side and transition defense and he was so valued because he could actually guard players like James worthy and Larry Bird even though he was a power forward. But he would have trouble against Kevin McHale (but hey who didn't) if he was positioned deep in the post. If you beat Barkley it was usually because you were too long for him.

You could be right about Ingram...nobody could figure out what K was doing with him.....needed his height and rebounding and he was out front taking shots....JMO .....but hurt the team and they underachieved last year. BTW, mostly he got Ingram because of the NCAA cloud hanging over UNC though I guess he could have left the state ...but that was not likely.

Anyway....hoping BP uses DP to win ball games....and not sacrifice the team t help the guy make the NBA....which he either will or he won't anyway and playing out of position in college is not going to make a difference.

Anyway....hoping BP uses DP to win ball games....and not sacrifice the team t help the guy make the NBA....which he either will or he won't anyway and playing out of position in college is not going to make a difference.

Agree with this. If they're good, they'll be in the NBA regardless. In the meantime the Auburn players are here to help AU win, not prep for some pie in the sky future that maybe one in 50 will achieve. The two goals aren't necessarily exclusive of each other, but when those goals do conflict, AU winning games takes preference hands down.

Archived