2016 Fall Camp - Practice 6 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

Well I just can't believe we weren't firing on all cylinders and that Gus was just working on some base stuff during the 1st scrimmage- I mean, we've had 5 practices already. Sheesh. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It was probably supposed to be. The scrimmage was about letting freshmen play & get some reps as anything else.

Agree....scrimmages are not simulated games.  They are to develop players, work on specific things for the season and find out who can play at SEC level.

It would be nice for the QBs to be "live" but with our QB situation the coaches have to weigh the odds of someone getting hurt against the benefits.  Seems to me that most bad injuries to players occur in practice though consider I guess the exposure is greater during a week of practice than during a game for most guys...but it's always a shame for starter to get banged up on Wednesday or Thursday and misses playing time.

8 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Well I just can't believe we weren't firing on all cylinders and that Gus was just working on some base stuff during the 1st scrimmage- I mean, we've had 5 practices already. Sheesh. 

60920367.jpg

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

60920367.jpg

I love the fact that I knew you'd be the one person not to get it. And I mean that in the best way possible sir. Ha! :Sing:

47 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I love the fact that I knew you'd be the one person not to get it. And I mean that in the best way possible sir. Ha! :Sing:

Better to be safe than sorry. I've run my mouth off a lot here lately.

17 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

And if we did have long runs, you would be posting that he Defense sucks still. Right?

It's only August. And it was the first scrim. The one Saturday will be a better judge of where AU is. Told the offense was vanilla also. 

I will tell you all where we're at Saturday, as far as football stuff I've only been wrong 3-4 times.....but damn it when I miss I REALLY miss lol. Cam Toney and Erique Florence killed my "right" ratio....I'm still trying to recover

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

It was probably supposed to be. The scrimmage was about letting freshmen play & get some reps as anything else.

I totally don't understand this.  Is Gus so confident in the 1st and 2nd teams that he feels he has the luxury of running a scrimmage to give some reps to the freshman?  Without having a starting QB, a new look in RB's, and probably no established rotation at receiver, why would you not utilize every available rep in a scrimmage to sort through and evaluate those things.  Maybe they did, but the vanilla aspect and freshman reps quote has me wondering.  

47 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I totally don't understand this.  Is Gus so confident in the 1st and 2nd teams that he feels he has the luxury of running a scrimmage to give some reps to the freshman?  Without having a starting QB, a new look in RB's, and probably no established rotation at receiver, why would you not utilize every available rep in a scrimmage to sort through and evaluate those things.  Maybe they did, but the vanilla aspect and freshman reps quote has me wondering.  

I don't think it was because he's confident in the 1st and 2nd teams, actually I think it's the opposite. He sees that there are a lot of freshman that will give the team a better chance to win than the upperclassmen, so he's making sure they play well in a game like situation. That way, when they get to the full on scrimmage on Saturday, everybody on the team has been in an Auburn scrimmage before and they can judge them all equally, rather than relying on  "oh well so and so did this in high school".

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's only August. And it was the first scrim. The one Saturday will be a better judge of where AU is. Told the offense was vanilla also. 

I see what you did here.

wde

16 hours ago, hikerdns said:

He had great positioning in the '13 Georgia game.

You are certainly correct about that!

52 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Because....it's as exactly as Gus said, they want to see how many of the young guys can contribute to the team now.

Wow, that throw by Jeremy was beautiful and only where Davis could catch it...maybe he does better when there is pressure on him instead of when he has no pressure and throws to the other team's defense.  I do remember that play he made against Ark in 2014 where he threw it on a rope as he was being tackled.  I don't think I have ever been this unsure of which starting QB I would like to see.

17 minutes ago, McFU said:

Wow, that throw by Jeremy was beautiful and only where Davis could catch it...maybe he does better when there is pressure on him instead of when he has no pressure and throws to the other team's defense.  I do remember that play he made against Ark in 2014 where he threw it on a rope as he was being tackled.  I don't think I have ever been this unsure of which starting QB I would like to see.

That was Eli Stove, was it not? Davis is #11 IIRC

Oh it could be, I don't remember all of the WR numbers so you are probably correct.

38 minutes ago, McFU said:

I watched that a few times.  I think that is actually the walk-on Adams (#16) not JJ.

#16.png

13 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Thanks for the insight but jeez.... Our offense is even vanilla in practice??? Gonna be a long year.

What happened to our offense?

Should be the name of our offense. Vanilla. Good to hear that about JF3 though b/c some made it sound like he'd been moved all the way out of the QB race. 

23 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I watched that a few times.  I think that is actually the walk-on Adams (#16) not JJ.

Wow... good catch.  

Archived